Meet Mark Anscombe...

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Meet Mark Anscombe...

Post by Dave »

breakdown wrote:So in summary, squad finalised, 3 non rugby events to be held at ravers, still searching for name options, MA doesn't care about anything but winning, and RP won't be available till the game before our first euro game
That's worrying especially from a goal kicking point of view. Before someone assures me that Paddy Jackson is the man and he'll step up no problem, he hasn't had the pressure of being our first choice goal kicker for that kind of time period. Of course also from a game controlling point of view too with Paddy Jackson's introduction as first choice 10 being dependant on having Ruan at 9 and PW at 12. Any word on a the rumoured kiwi scrum half?
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

damianmcr wrote:I thought it was very good. Can't really mind much but there was someone knit far away with a camera and dictaphone I'm sure some of you know.

Really impressed with Shane Logan's leadership and attitude. Mark was a straight talker and expect good things.

Who was the prat with the first question? He wasn't happy at being moved from the prom to the side during redevelopment and asked for lower ticket prices. What did he expect?
Is that first paragraph in English Damian?
damianmcr
Lord Chancellor

Post by damianmcr »

Sorry meant someone has the whole thing recorded so let's hope they post the details.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

damianmcr wrote:Sorry meant someone has the whole thing recorded so let's hope they post the details.
Yes I believe it was recorded and a few photographs were taken too.
moondance
Warrior Assassin

Post by moondance »

From Ulster Rugby Facebook:
Tonight at Ravenhill season ticket holders had a chance to put questions to new head coach Mark Anscombe, David Humphreys and Shane Logan.

Shane Logan stated that he wanted to see Ulster "consistently within the top 4 in Europe" and "win the Heineken cup twice within the next 8-10 years."

Talking about the redevelopment of Ravenhill and the positioning of the promenades and terraces, Logan said they wished to develop them "as close as [they] can legally get them" to the pitch.

Much to the pleasing of the audience, he carried on to say, "the aim is the have the stadium completed for a home quarter-final in 2014."

All three panelists emphasised the need to develop young players for Ulster to grow as a successful team, with Logan stressing the fact that at underage representative level, this season, Ulster had only won "three out of fifteen interprovincial matches"

On the issue Anscombe said, "what I like to do, is to give hope to the young men that they can challenge for a position."

When asked about the pressures to following Brian McLaughlin's success, Anscombe said, "There is expectation wherever you go."
Kofi Annan
Lord Chancellor

Post by Kofi Annan »

Good to see that they believe that the youth/academy structure needs looked at, I hear one o f the principles thinkTASC carried out a review and changes are afoot . See UR for details on company as they are pushing them, anyone know what the current percentage is for players developing to professional standard, in my opinion we should be looking to produce players of international standard.just a thought.

See no evil,hear no evil, speak no evil :wink:
“For the liespotter who knows how to listen well, the random words, sounds, and phrases in a person's speech are never as random as they seem. They offer a clear sightline into the liar's psyche.”
Yoda
Initiate

Post by Yoda »

guy who asked the first question really was a numpty - other than knock down and build and brand new stand between May and August so no games missed, I don't think there'd have been any pleasing him

In conversation afterwards I asked Shane to consider giving stand ticket holders a choice of moving to prom, terrace or new aquinas stand if possible (after allowing for existing season ticket holders in those areas) so that those who don't want to view from behind the pitch have the option of standing at the side. He said this will be considered as they look at options

He also explained that the prices in the new stand are likely to go up after the redevelopment but that existing ticket holders, by committing to the 2 year deal to keep their rough seat allocation would be getting them at roughly current levels, or in other words at a discount on the planned prices.

While concern has been expressed here about the learning curve for Paddy J and how ideally it would be better for him to have Ruan inside and Paddy W outside, interestingly comment was made at the front that in some games towards the end of last year, Ruan and PW were doing too much for PJ and so for his own development, not having Ruan about for a bit might be ok
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

I don't think he thought it through before asking.
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

Any idea about the ST sales?
Gary
Chancellor to the King
Location: Carrickfergus and Odessa. (Not at the same time. That would be silly.)

Post by Gary »

Did Humps explain NOC?
Soldiers who wanna be heroes number practically zero, but there are millions who wanna be civilians
damianmcr
Lord Chancellor

Post by damianmcr »

Big-al wrote:Any idea about the ST sales?
Up 20% I think was the figure quoted.

Sponsorship up 65% on last year. Nearly at the same level with Munster and Leinster in shirt sponsor.

Ticket sales 5m last year. Ulster get to keep every penny from that. None to Dublin. 3m grant from Dublin last year. Deal is for it too increase as well over the next 2yrs. Wouldnt survive without help from Dublin.
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Yoda wrote:guy who asked the first question really was a numpty - other than knock down and build and brand new stand between May and August so no games missed, I don't think there'd have been any pleasing him
Guy who asked the first question wasn't a numpty. He had a legitimate concern and had an opportunity to ask it of the CEO. Same question was asked at recent URSC AGM (by someone else) and no one thought anything of it being asked then.

The only difference was that on that occasion, it was asked well down the running order. Perhaps it shouldn't have been asked as opening question when we had an opportunity to first up welcome the new coach, but perhaps he thought he needed to get it in early in case the CEO left to let Mark (and David) answer questions on the rugby side of things.

I'd be pretty certain there were others who wanted to know the answer too and were glad he asked the question and not them.
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
Tevez
Initiate

Post by Tevez »

I had a quiet word with Humphs about Nick Williams and said that some supporters were underwhelmed by his signing. He seemed astonished that people were doubting his (Nick's) quality. Humph said he had been absolutely outstanding for Aironi. Interestingly, he said that he had been brought in as cover for Ferris.....
If only everyone had Neil McMillan's dedication....
damianmcr
Lord Chancellor

Post by damianmcr »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote:
Yoda wrote:guy who asked the first question really was a numpty - other than knock down and build and brand new stand between May and August so no games missed, I don't think there'd have been any pleasing him
Guy who asked the first question wasn't a numpty. He had a legitimate concern and had an opportunity to ask it of the CEO. Same question was asked at recent URSC AGM (by someone else) and no one thought anything of it being asked then.

The only difference was that on that occasion, it was asked well down the running order. Perhaps it shouldn't have been asked as opening question when we had an opportunity to first up welcome the new coach, but perhaps he thought he needed to get it in early in case the CEO left to let Mark (and David) answer questions on the rugby side of things.

I'd be pretty certain there were others who wanted to know the answer too and were glad he asked the question and not them.
Whilst there are those among us who would be stubborn for moving seats for one season how else would UR do this. It would be impossible to demolish the stand and have it rebuilt over the summer break.

People unhappy about this need to understand the needs of Ulster Rugby instead crying about a different seat. They have been told sign on for two seasons and you keep your old seat as near as possible they can get it.
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

damianmcr wrote:
Cap'n Grumpy wrote:

Whilst there are those among us who would be stubborn for moving seats for one season how else would UR do this. It would be impossible to demolish the stand and have it rebuilt over the summer break.

People unhappy about this need to understand the needs of Ulster Rugby instead crying about a different seat. They have been told sign on for two seasons and you keep your old seat as near as possible they can get it.
I'm not debating the wishes of the supporters or the needs of UR, or how those are going to be reconciled - I was simply pointing out that the guy had a legitimate concern and was entitled to raise it - if you think that makes him a numpty, well, you are entitled to your opinion, but others might disagree.

I just don't see what's gained by denegrading someone who has supported Ulster for many, many years just because he asks a question.
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right