Rabo team by team guide...

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

jamsodonnell
Novice

Re: Rabo team by team guide...

Post by jamsodonnell »

Re. Thornley's and Sky predictions, humbly suggest that they be printed out and stuck up on the wall of the Ulster changing room, if they haven't already been !!
ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Post by ColinM »

Disagree that Ulster ought to be shoe ins for the play offs. Our lack of strength and depth in the half backs will cost us several league places and we will finish in the 5th/6th region.

I note we have brought in another fly half into the academy as well as sending McKinney away for experience. Humphreys hasnt confidence in anyone coming through just hoping someone will. If we dont solve it in the next two seasons we will also be without Afoa and unless DFitz strings some game together, a team with no fly half of regard and no THP of regard goes nowhere.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

browner wrote:Compiled by GERRY THORNLEY
ULSTER
Forecast: 5th.
Thornley's a liability. Knows nothin about the game.

We'll finish second. :red: :red: :red: :red:
darkside lightside
Lord Chancellor

Post by darkside lightside »

Snipe Watson wrote:
ULSTER
I think you're on to something :wink: :lol:
[The Artist Formerly Known as Caolan]

On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero - Tyler Durden
stu
Novice

Post by stu »

bazzaj wrote:First thing that stood out is the Osperys, as last seasons champs they have signed one and let 14 go!
I would be amazed if they sustained a challenge again based on those stats.
Think the Osprey's have a strong group of players coming through their academy which may be why they feel confident enough to let so many go. Think they also had one of the biggest squads in the league anyway.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

stu wrote:
bazzaj wrote:First thing that stood out is the Osperys, as last seasons champs they have signed one and let 14 go!
I would be amazed if they sustained a challenge again based on those stats.
Think the Osprey's have a strong group of players coming through their academy which may be why they feel confident enough to let so many go. Think they also had one of the biggest squads in the league anyway.
Plus they don't take the HEC seriously so they can concentrate on playoffs :lol:
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Silverstu
Initiate

Post by Silverstu »

ColinM wrote:Disagree that Ulster ought to be shoe ins for the play offs. Our lack of strength and depth in the half backs will cost us several league places and we will finish in the 5th/6th region.

I note we have brought in another fly half into the academy as well as sending McKinney away for experience. Humphreys hasnt confidence in anyone coming through just hoping someone will. If we dont solve it in the next two seasons we will also be without Afoa and unless DFitz strings some game together, a team with no fly half of regard and no THP of regard goes nowhere.
That's a pretty pessimistic outlook- I think the fly half situation Humph is merely being prudent rather than having no confidence in the current players. Should Jackson come through this season we will still need more fly half's next season and beyond . But I do agree a lot hinges this season on how the half backs develop- necessary pain for long term gain I think.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Silverstu wrote:
That's a pretty pessimistic outlook- I think the fly half situation Humph is merely being prudent rather than having no confidence in the current players. Should Jackson come through this season we will still need more fly half's next season and beyond . But I do agree a lot hinges this season on how the half backs develop- necessary pain for long term gain I think.
Hang on a minute you could have written the same comment about one or other position 10 years ago, this is the big Achilles heel in the entire Ulster setup, we are 1 or 2 key players short of a competition winning side for as long as the side has gone professional and this year it's the 10 spot we could well be in problems with, then if PJ is good enough that is 10 sorted for next year then we miss the leadership of Muller and so it goes on
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Silverstu
Initiate

Post by Silverstu »

Yes- but is the difference now not that UR are getting more organised, more focused on bringing through talent, developing the academy, bringing in IQ young players for problem positions and the fact that in the position in question -10- there are a number of potential players being brought on to address this- Olding, Jackson- McKinney in England and I think there are a couple in the academy too. If it was business as usual at UR with little thought to future plans then I would accept your point but it seems to me that UR are working hard to develop depth to the squad and eliminate weak areas. But then again I tend to take an optimistic view of things- especially at the start of the season when the team has performed quite well in preseason without numerous first choice players.:D
bazzaj

Post by bazzaj »

Understandably people are cagey about brashly predicting a top 4 slot for us.
Confidence does not sit well with Ulster folk and previous seasons have been humbling enough to warrant this.
I would say if not us who then?
Leinster is a gimmie but I will argue that we have just as good a chance if not better than anyone.
People seem to be caught up with the whole we dont have a 10 debate, based in the main on one game from last season ie; the final.
Firstly one player does not make a team and even with Carter at 10 we were sufficently beat up in the forwards for it not to make a difference.
Secondly the experience PJ will have got from that one game is immeasurable and anyone who knows him knows he has always had a genuine strength of character and focus beyond his years.
Honestly in terms of top tier 10s in Europe there arent that many setting the world alight but PJ is one who potentially can and I would rather him than a Dan Parks any day.
The days of picking NIQ journeymen over our local talent are over.
Top 4 no worries but I would be looking for us to get top 2.
And you can call me Susan if it isnt so.
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

ColinM wrote:Disagree that Ulster ought to be shoe ins for the play offs. Our lack of strength and depth in the half backs will cost us several league places and we will finish in the 5th/6th region.

I agree and disagree with you Colin:

Agree re halfbacks. I think letting McKinney go was a mistake tbh, although NOC has more big game experience.
But apart from PJ's potnetial, nothing inspires confidence. RP could end up at 10 if it really hits the fan, with PM 9. Not a bad option though, and I wonder if thats the fall back in DH's mind if it goes FUBAR?
Re JA- yeah, it'll be sad when he goes, but DF is more than capable at this level, if he stays injury free, and I have great hope for Macklin, a long as he starts to get real gametime. I would want JA to mentor Macklin and MCCall as his replacements with the long term view that Logan and DH deign the Ulster Way.... :salut:
Exterminate all rational thought
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

darkside lightside wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:
ULSTER
I think you're on to something :wink: :lol:
Fickle? Me?? never :lol:
Amiga500
Warrior Chief

Post by Amiga500 »

ColinM wrote:I note we have brought in another fly half into the academy as well as sending McKinney away for experience. Humphreys hasnt confidence in anyone coming through just hoping someone will. If we dont solve it in the next two seasons we will also be without Afoa and unless DFitz strings some game together, a team with no fly half of regard and no THP of regard goes nowhere.
Well... if PJ doesn't work out - do you think Leinster can really keep both Sexton and Madigan happy under one roof?

What price a wee transfer up the motorway?
ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Post by ColinM »

Well he'd be offered similar for a trip down the mway to Limerick, and would keep his tax break
ruckover
Lord Chancellor

Post by ruckover »

I did hear a rumour that we were looking at Madigan but he said no he's happy in Dublin. Can't say I blame him, he gets plenty of game time there.
You haven't seen me at my best yet. Let's be honest, you probably never will.