Nick Williams For Ireland? Lions? ;)

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Nick Williams For Ireland? Lions? ;)

Post by Snipe Watson »

LastKnightoftheproms wrote:No, no way they are that bad. :wink:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

But seriously, two decent Rabo performances and someone thinks he's going to displace Heaslip within the Irish set up and then get a call from Warren. :lol:
Nah nobody is as bad as Grumps :lol: :lol: :lol: but it's a worrying trend. just giving you a heads up. :thumleft:
thegreenlantern
Novice

Post by thegreenlantern »

Whhhhhhattttt who made that poll up,Trimble Earls McFadden and Murphy,away into the night.
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

Oh my goodness.

>TM
It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways.
ulsterrr
Novice

Post by ulsterrr »

Clearly I was having a laugh with this but I do think he could do something for Ireland as a impact sub. No way he is going to displace Heaslip. But can anyone name a player they would rather have on the sub bench with 20 mins to go from Ireland excluding the three first choice players? Clearly the three starters aren't in ANY DANGER but think about it who brought WIlliams to Munster?

As far as i see it Kidney left Munster in 2008 and Williams signed for them in the next season but surely considering how rugby teams often sign players early? Kidney must have had some say in this?

Plus he isn't from Ulster so Kidney may actually consider him? hahaha
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

ulsterrr wrote:Clearly I was having a laugh with this.............
We know, but it is way too early for that sort of talk
ulsterrr
Novice

Post by ulsterrr »

Agreed. Just want someone to actually confirm or deny if he is going to be eligible? Was hoping it would happen quickly but hasn't done....
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

ulsterrr wrote:Agreed. Just want someone to actually confirm or deny if he is going to be eligible? Was hoping it would happen quickly but hasn't done....
Does it not have to be continuous residency ?
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
moondance
Warrior Assassin

Post by moondance »

Rooster wrote:
ulsterrr wrote:Agreed. Just want someone to actually confirm or deny if he is going to be eligible? Was hoping it would happen quickly but hasn't done....
Reg 8.1 (c) "completed thirty six consecutive months of Residence"

Not eligible.
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

This is definitely one of the sillier threads of the last 3 months...
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

moondance wrote:
Rooster wrote:
Reg 8.1 (c) "completed thirty six consecutive months of Residence"

Not eligible.
He has been 36 months in the EU.......give that a rattle in court and see where the dust settles.
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

Not eligible as far as I know. The year in Italy will see to that. EU residency cannot qualify you or else we'd be trawling through France looking for props. In this case it is national(I know that is a strange one in relation to a team representing two states) so the residency has to be in the country itself, or in any part of Ireland in our case.

Now I am glad about this as I want the residency rules to be abolished. Anybody not going through the school system should not be eligible to play for Ireland in my view. You either have a national team or you don't IMO. The exemptions to this are obvious....people born overseas to Irish parents who have not had an association with a union of that other country.

Just think of the case of Ricky Flutey. He stayed in England just long enough to be able to play for England / Lions. Then he f-cked off to France to increase his earnings. As an international he could boost his attractiveness and consequently his bank balance which is the most important thing. Such loyalty to his first adoptive country is something I have no time for. Get rid of it and you have people playing for their country because of the honour to do that.*

* I know they all get paid but I don't want Ireland to ever be used by somebody to further their own selfish interests.
Neil F
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neil F »

Shan, whilst in principle, I agree that there are certain issues with the eligibility rules, relating to residency, I think abolishing it is a tad strong. Whilst I would tend to think the IRFU's "project" policy is slightly dodgy, for example, the flipside is that if you get rid of it completely, someone like Andy Ward would never have played for Ireland (and under the current NIQ laws, probably not for Ulster, either). As far as I recall, Ward was simply living in Ireland for non-rugby related reasons and didn't have Irish grandparents or anything like that. Despite this, I think Ward had every right to represent the country in which he had settled at international level, despite having nothing but a chance that tied him to that nationality.

Perhaps this is an old time ideal - something that the advent of professionalism, where a vast majority of player will only be in a country for the residency period for rugby reasons but I still think closing the door entirely is a regressive move.
Shan
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Shan »

Neil F wrote: As far as I recall, Ward was simply living in Ireland for non-rugby related reasons and didn't have Irish grandparents or anything like that. Despite this, I think Ward had every right to represent the country in which he had settled at international level, despite having nothing but a chance that tied him to that nationality.

Perhaps this is an old time ideal - something that the advent of professionalism, where a vast majority of player will only be in a country for the residency period for rugby reasons but I still think closing the door entirely is a regressive move.
Nail on head Neil F.

I admit I was giving it all guns blazing in my talk of abolishment. I always had a liking for Andy Ward so yes I am very much open to the idea of guys like this being allowed to reprsent Ireland. He wasn't here for some handy dollars for a few years while trying to build his profile in the game to grab a big contract in France, or at his time England, by getting international recognition and is still here and nowadays involved in the GAA as far as I know. I don't think anybody could suggest Ward gave less than his all for both Ulster and Ireland for normal sporting reasons of wanting to win and wanting his team to win.

I know it is hard one to police as the line will have to be drawn somewhere which will negatively impact somebody. I just don't want it being as open as it is now. I'm not sure how to go about this or if it could even be done. I just hope that international rugby does not become an extension of club rugby. There is room for both, in my opinion, within professionalism.
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Snipe Watson wrote:
LastKnightoftheproms wrote:No, no way they are that bad. :wink:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

But seriously, two decent Rabo performances and someone thinks he's going to displace Heaslip within the Irish set up and then get a call from Warren. :lol:
Nah nobody is as bad as Grumps :lol: :lol: :lol: but it's a worrying trend. just giving you a heads up. :thumleft:
Yust because yousuns don't recognise talent - not my fault others asked me to do Stand Up ......... :duck:
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Get yer coat.......