Is this true?

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Munsterboy
Novice

Re: Is this true?

Post by Munsterboy »

A terrible terrible tragedy. My sincere condolences to the Spence family and all that are close to them.

Nevin was a special player. From the day I first saw him play - wreaking havoc against a very good New Zealand U20s side - I thought he would become a star. He will be missed by all rugby fans.
We're all red on the inside.
secondrowgal
Novice

Post by secondrowgal »

Hi all

So sad to hear the tragic news about Nevin, his Dad and his brother. This small post is just to let you know that we are thinking about you all and especially the Spence family down in Munster.

SUFTUM

SRG, MF.com
nylo
Novice

Post by nylo »

What utter, utter devastation first and foremost for the Spence family. It is impossible to comprehend what they are going through at the moment - every inch of my heart goes out to them. How totally appalling too for Nevin's team mates and everyone at Ulster Rugby, knowing how close knit rugby clubs are.

I didn't know Nevin at all personally, but I loved his style of rugby - brute force, sheer determination, incredible strength and all with no small touch of class. UR has without a doubt lost one of its most promising stars this weekend.

It is truly touching to see so many fans from other clubs registering to post here and I can only hope that some very small solace can be taken in how much Nevin was respected and admired within the wider rugby community and beyond.

Many of my team mates are Ulster Rugby supporters and I speak for all of us when I send my deepest and most heartfelt condolences to everyone connected with the Spence family at this awful time.

Carolyn,
Donaghadee Ladies Hockey Club
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Further to the death of Ulster player Nevin Spence last weekend, the match between Zebre and Ulster due to be played on 21st September 2012 in Parma will be postponed to a later date.
An announcement will be made in due course with the rescheduled match information.

A moment of silence will be observed at all RaboDirect PRO12 matches this coming weekend.
http://www.ulsterrugby.com/news/10792.php
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
MallowRFC
Novice

Post by MallowRFC »

Our deepest sympathy and condolences to the Spence family, Ballynahinch RFC, Ulster Rugby, losing Fathers, Husbands, Sons, Brothers. So sad.

Brendan.
Mallow RFC (Munsterfans & Farming community)
breakdown
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by breakdown »

Something is being mentioned about an event on Sunday at Ravers, anyone have any info?
Chris Henry is superhuman... I think he's half cyborg
breakdown
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by breakdown »

Chris Henry is superhuman... I think he's half cyborg
NiallGK
Novice

Post by NiallGK »

I'm not in the habit of posting on the forums of other provinces. Just his once, I will make an exception. I have just returned from a weekend in Belfast and a wonderful game of rugby, played out in the presence of a fantastic bunch of supporters.

I registered here purely to add my voice to the chorus sympathies and condolences being sent from around the Island and elsewhere. An enormous tragedy such as this affects the entire rugby community. I wish to offer my condolences to his family and also to any members of this site that may have known any of the deceased.

Nevin, Graham and Noel - may you Rest In Peace.
Pixie
Novice

Post by Pixie »

I can't imagine the horror the family are going through.I pray that somehow they will get through this..It makes me cry everytime I hink of the agony they are going through.
being a Munsterfan,I had to register to express my deepest condolences to the family and to all Ulster rugby.God Bless you.
darkside lightside
Lord Chancellor

Post by darkside lightside »

I just got a text from Tanu from Monza rugby club, who some of you will remember from the away trip against Aironi last year:
Tanu wrote:All very upset here in Monza. Please extend our deepest condolences to Ulster club and fans from Rugby Monza
[The Artist Formerly Known as Caolan]

On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero - Tyler Durden
29xThePain
Squire

Post by 29xThePain »

Awfully tragic news. Thoughts with the family and friends of all concerned.
Follow me on Twitter
shamalicious
Lord Chancellor

Post by shamalicious »

I'm normally a girl of few words but I felt compelled to write a wee tribute:

For the last couple of days, I have been in a state of shock, having learned of the tragic deaths of Nevin Spence, his brother Graham, and his father Noel on Saturday evening. Most friends and family members who aren’t big rugby fans just can’t seem to comprehend why this has had such a profound effect. It was something I didn’t particularly understand, why fans show such an outpouring of grief for a player, until Saturday. It’s difficult to put into words, but here goes.

As fans of any sporting team, we lay all our hopes and aspirations on the shoulders of the sportspeople who have proven themselves to be good enough to represent their club. We want them to play well, to win games and ultimately win trophies. We support them through the good times and the bad; we’re there to see them score goals, tries or points, and we’re there to see them suffer defeat. We become aware of the level of confidence in the squads; we discuss with other like-minded people about their performance throughout the seasons. It’s inevitable that we become emotionally attached to our players.

Nevin came into most Ulster fans’ consciousness just two weeks before his 20th birthday, earning his first senior cap against the Ospreys in April 2010. It didn’t take too long until he scored his first, and one of his most memorable tries against Bath in the Heineken Cup in December of that year. Who can forget that legendary try in the left-hand corner, when he managed to inadvertently perform a wild somersault (on his head), only to come up with the ball still in his hands, face covered in mud, to win the game for Ulster and keep us in contention for the play-offs?

Nevin's style of play became instantly recognisable; he was an abrasive, hard runner who loved nothing more than to break through tackles and to cross over the gain line. He became a firm fan favourite, and his standout performances earned him 42 caps for Ulster, 2 for the Irish Wolfhounds, the IRUPA Young Player of the Year, and a call-up to the Ireland 6 Nations training squad.

It is a travesty that Nevin will not be able to continue with his rugby achievements, which he certainly was going to do; I have no doubt in my mind he would have gone on to play for his country. I look back at all those times I watched him play, cheering his name every time he broke through a tackle and looked set to score. Nevin has given us so many moments of hope and joy; as fans we have connected with him in such a way that he felt like a friend, and we’re devastated he’s gone.

Did I know Nevin personally? No, I spoke with him on Twitter a few times, but from those brief exchanges, I could tell he was an exceptional young man with a positive outlook and cheeky character. It was heartbreaking, yet unsurprising to hear that he, his father, brother and sister were all trying to save one another that Saturday evening.

We express our sincerest condolences to the Spence family; a mother has lost two sons and her husband. Two children have lost their father, uncle and grandfather. A sister has lost two brothers and her father.

I am just a fan, wishing to express my sadness at this tragic loss of life, and I hope it brings even the smallest amount of comfort to the Spence family, to Ulster Rugby, and the wider rugby and farming circles that Nevin touched literally tens of thousands of lives, which is something pretty special.

Rest In Peace, Nevin, Noel and Graham. SUFTUM
Nevin Spence 26 April 1990 – 15 September 2012 gone but never forgotten
rocky
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by rocky »

Shamalicious, that is a brilliant summary of things and I think you have got it spot on as to why so many of us have been affected so much by this, I suspect for many (certainly for me), a lot more than we might have thought would be the case.
Thank you for that.
Rocky.
Bo***cks to Brexit
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Shamilicious, we haven't had the most cordial relationship but I think that says what most of us are thinking. I am still struggling to read or write something about this tragedy without my eyes watering. Fair play to you.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

Thank you Shamalicious, that's what i've wanted to say since Saturday evening. Baggy i'm the same, can't write more than a paragraph without feeling it in my eyes. :salut:

SUFTUM
Gonna Party Like It's 1999