Is this true?

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Is this true?

Post by BaggyTrousers »

That try is the one I will always remember Jackie, not just the try but what it meant, it could have been a nervous game looking to finish in the top 4 but early on Nevin went over from halfway with a swarm of Dragons on his back & added another not long after.

I'm away again for the tissues. :cry:
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
fuzzylogic
Lord Chancellor

Post by fuzzylogic »

Have been TV and internetless since Saturday evening, how is Nevs sister doing?
Mary had a little lamb . . .
shamalicious
Lord Chancellor

Post by shamalicious »

She got out of hospital today I believe.
Nevin Spence 26 April 1990 – 15 September 2012 gone but never forgotten
rocky
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by rocky »

She was discharged from hospital yesterday evening so is presumably recovering well.
Bo***cks to Brexit
blindsider
Novice

Post by blindsider »

Very very sad news. I'm a Munster fan etc, and we are completely stunned and devastated by the tragic news.

Our thoughts and prayers are with the Spence family on their terrible loss.

RIP.
craigchalmers
Novice

Post by craigchalmers »

Still can't believe this - must have read the first tweets I saw on it about 10 times before actually taking in what they said.

Think I can safely speak for all Glasgow supporters when I say that our thoughts and prayers are with the Spence family, and everyone connected with them, at this time.

Craig
XVIth Warrior (Glasgow supporters club)

(I will also say it looks likely that we will be joining the Leinster and Munster fans in singing SUFTUM when we play Connacht on friday)
ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Post by ColinM »

Very well written Shamalicious, in fact i wrote many of the same things in the book of condolence yesterday although not quite as well expressed.

Saw this piece from John Dickson on the Ballynahinch club website:
The tragic events that occurred on the Spence family farm at the weekend has left the entire local community and Ballynahinch Rugby Club in a state of numbed shock.

Noel Spence and his two sons Graham and Nevin lost their lives in a farming accident while attempting to save each other on Saturday evening.

The Spence family are highly respected throughout the locality, and are well known for their contribution to the world of farming, rugby, art and the Baptist Church community.

It is impossible for me to put together the words that would accurately describe the sheer enormity of this tragedy, and the effect it has had on our club and community and most importantly the Spence family.
Both Nevin and his elder brother Graham played rugby for the Hinch.

Graham progressed through the youth ranks at the club and was well regarded by both players and coaches. Originally he played at scrum half but as he grew bigger and stronger he was moved to the centre where the famous Spence hand-off was first perfected. He moved up to age grade level on the U20 side and then into the adult rugby section where he played in the senior squad.

Just as his promising rugby career was burgeoning his Dad called a halt to his Saturday afternoon activities, he had plenty of work for him to do on the farm.

Nev, as he is known by his friends, took a different route. Playing football in the early years was his passion and he was capped at U16 level by Northern Ireland. Manchester City were interested in signing Nev to become a professional, but his Mum, a school teacher, encouraged him to go to Wallace High School where he was introduced to rugby football.
Being a natural athlete, Nev’s potential was quickly harnessed by coach Derek Suffern who brought him through and onto the 1stXV.

The Schools Cup is the stand out competition of Schools rugby and Nev helped his Wallace side reach the semi-final by scoring a hat trick of tries against BRA in the quarterfinal. The semi-final was played at Ravenhill where the school defeated Portora to set up a St Patrick’s Day clash with RBAI. He found himself on the losing side that afternoon but Ravenhill had seen its first glance of the talent to come.

Ulster Schools and Irish Schools honours followed as the young rugby star began to emerge. Ulster Rugby had identified his potential and Nev was awarded a place in the Ulster Rugby Academy and joined Ballynahinch Rugby Club under the watchful eyes of his schools coach Derek Suffern.

It was at this stage that the Hinch club began to see his talent emerge, with his barn-storming runs up the pitch, he had great feet and left defenders grasping in mid air. The number of photographs I have of Nevin fending off players as he skipped past them is countless, and of course his finishing was supreme. Once he found a gap he was through it and away.

When Brian McLaughlin took over as Ulster Head Coach he knew the calibre of player he had and it wasn’t long until Nev was training with the senior side along with Paddy Wallace and Darren Cave.

The rest is now history, Nev made his debut for Ulster against the Ospreys in 2010 and represented the Province on 42 occasions. He played on the wing and at centre and quickly became a crowd favorite. The Irish national management brought Nev into their set-up and he played for the Irish Wolfhounds, and took part in the six nations training camps with the senior squad.

In the past few days many have commented about Nev’s possible selection for Ireland, but when you have the likes of Brian O’Driscoll commenting on twitter about Nevin being his most likely replacement, I think that just says it all.

Back at the Hinch Nev was very much involved in the success of the club in 2009 scoring vital tries in the Senior Cup final against Ballymena and again in the Division 2 championship game in Limerick against UCC.
If Nev was not playing because of Ulster duty he was always at the Hinch on match day to cheer the lads on, he was a team player through and through.

While playing for Ulster Nev’s highlight was taking to the field for the quarter-final of the Heineken Cup against Northampton Saints. Last season injury prevented him from taking part in the early part of the season but once back up to speed he was pushing hard for a place in the starting 22. Ulster had a memorable season although Nev was disappointed not to make the starting team for the Heineken Cup Final travelling to Twickenham on the 19th May as 24th man.

During the summer months he underwent surgery to fix a shoulder problem and last Friday he completed his rehabilitation taking to the field playing for the Ulster Ravens against Munster A. Everyone who witnessed that game was fully convinced that Nev was back with a bang. He tackled, turned over ball and made ground on numerous occasions, but he also fired two kicks into touch on the full.

After the game Nev made an assessment of his performance. Happy enough with the defence and attack but think I will give my kicking game a miss next week!!!

Modest, shy, self-effacing, humble, kind, caring, honest, these are all words which could be used to describe Nev. He was much more than a rugby player. Nev had many interests and friends outside the game. He was heavily involved in Ballynahinch Baptist Church and helped out on the family farm from time to time.

It was when the Spence clan gathered together that you got to see the genuine love and affection they had for one another. Emma and Nev bantered each other day and night, Graham would roll his eyes while Mum and Dad would laugh.

Everyone will have their own memories of Noel, Graham and Nevin and I will share with you my last memory of them.

Just two weeks ago I visited the farm to do photoshoot with Nev. It was for the Dairy Council and it involved him standing with cows in a field. That alone was a cause of much amusement because Nev was classed by the family as “just a part-time milker.”

It was a lovely afternoon on the Drumlough Road, as usual I was running late when I arrived into the yard in my new yellow car. As I stepped out all I could hear was Noel laughing at the colour and size of the car. A crushing hand shake and more laughter followed. Nev soon appeared then Emma followed by her Mum, next the milk tanker driver was brought round and they all debated the pro and cons of the car and it’s colour and its suitability for someone of large build.

After fifteen minutes of good craic had passed Nev remembered that Graham had been patiently waiting round the road with the cows and we quickly jumped into his car to meet up with him. When we arrived Nev took heaps of abuse from Graham for being a “Gentleman Farmer” just turning up for a photograph then flying off again without doing a hands turn.

It was all great craic and the photographs I took of Nev that day are amongst my favorites, he looked really happy and despite the banter and hassle from Graham he did pose very well.

The funerals will be held this Wednesday at 2pm at Ballynahinch Baptist Church. The weeks and months ahead are going to be tough for the Spence family, our club will help and support them in whatever way we can.

The thoughts and prayers of Ballynahinch Rugby Club go to Nev’s Mum, sisters Laura and Emma, and their entire family circle.
Wee Woman
Lord Chancellor

Post by Wee Woman »

What beautiful words, so eloquently put Shamalicious. It certainly reflects how many of us are feeling x.

Personally, I'm still absolutely shattered by this. I've not felt brave enough to go near Ravenhill yet as every time I see pictures of the tributes there are more tears. I only ever said hello to Nevin in passing on occasion. God help this poor family.

I've not ruled out the memorial service on Sunday though, it's lovely that Ulster Rugby are giving us the opportunity to gather together to honour Nevin and his family.

Tomorrow will be a tough,tough day for the family. My thoughts are with them all.
Munsterlanger
Novice

Post by Munsterlanger »

Munster fan here, just wanted to pass my condolences onto everyone connected with Ulster Rugby. What a huge loss. Cracking player and from all accounts a cracking lad. It was only a matter of time before he was a really, really big player for Ireland. Condolences lads. SUFTUM
riverlodge
Novice

Post by riverlodge »

would like to add my condolences over the terrible tragedy for the spence family, and also to the players and supporters of ulster rugby. truly sorry, lost for any meaningful words over this.
saints fan
thesTig
Novice

Post by thesTig »

Sorry to be late with this (not been near a computer for days).

I wholeheartedly agree with the many messages on this thread. A terrible tragedy and a great loss. He did indeed look a fantastic prospect. My condolences to his family, friends, local club members and Ulster supporters.

Tony
Leicester Tigers fan
ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Post by ColinM »

Just discovered the twitter feed of Timoci Nagusa. Seems Nevin had a big part in his time here and he's been given leave to come back for two days. Worth a read @JNagusa
browner
Lord Chancellor
Location: Globe Vienna crashed and burned...Giant TCR SL2 rising from the ashes.

Post by browner »

Stand up for PICU R.V.H.
Deaf Ear
Novice

Post by Deaf Ear »

My deepest sympathy to all in Ulster Rugby and the Spence family on their tragic loss - RIP.

A Munster Supporter
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

What tremendous courage by all concerned.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall