Yes Paul, that applause was...

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Samstew
Squire

Re: Yes Paul, that applause was...

Post by Samstew »

Will Greenwood has just used the words Paul Marshall and Lions year in the same sentence!
Saying that he could be a bit of a "bolter"...........!
breakdown
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by breakdown »

ruckover wrote:
breakdown wrote:He also likes to give guys a chance, and apart from 20 minutes, how much had Ruan played this season? Think about it next time Ruck. No one is a guaranteed starter in this team.
Completely missed my point BD.

If Anscombe is wanting to play people by form, then Marshall should be starting next week hands down. In no way am I saying that Pienaar is a bad player, but if MA is wanting to stick by his claim then Marshall should start.

He only brings guys back into the team if they've played well the week before, and in my opinion, Pienaar's cameo was OK at best.
So if Marshall plays every week because he is the form player, how is Pienaar going to get a chance to show MA what he can do in gametime? Give Pienaar time to gel and a few starts and he will be back at number 1.

Also Pienaars cameo was just okay? Did you leave after 70 minutes and not see his try?
Chris Henry is superhuman... I think he's half cyborg
Windeos
Warrior Chief

Post by Windeos »

I was one of the posters who suggested that Cowboy should stick Pienaar on the bench when others were saying there is no way that Pienaar shouldn't be starting.

For me the selection sets an example to the entire squad which just gives everyone a real lift and adds more incentive to every single player in the squad about having a real opportunity, if you perform, of playing in the HC team.

I'm not a huge small Paul fan but he had an absolute stormer. If he starts next week, Pienaar will realise how hard he has to work just to get a start, which is superb competition for the team in general.

Another tough call is going to be Henderson & Ferris. If Williams or Wilson are fit they have to start at 8pm but what about Henderson?

He had an absolute blinder as well last night, so if Ferris comes through ready for next week why not put him on the bench and show your faith in the lads who performed well?

I could see a bench next week of Black, Herring, Macklin, Stevenson, Ferris, Wilson, Pienaar, L Marshall, Gilroy. That would obviously mean Small P starting at 9 & Henderson at 6 & why not?

If we have players playing really well and have the luxury of easing players back into the fold for a huge impact off the bench, then why not?

This is how I've wanted Ulster to bleed in our kids for years but we always seemed to have either our full 1st xv or send the kids to get tanked. The cowboy has the right idea and I'm loving it.

We finally are starting to build a real team that doesn't have to flog the likes of Ferris every big game. Even guys like Stevenson has made a big step forward this season. The entire squad is stepping up to the plate.
Windeos
Warrior Chief

Post by Windeos »

breakdown wrote:
ruckover wrote:
breakdown wrote:He also likes to give guys a chance, and apart from 20 minutes, how much had Ruan played this season? Think about it next time Ruck. No one is a guaranteed starter in this team.
Completely missed my point BD.

If Anscombe is wanting to play people by form, then Marshall should be starting next week hands down. In no way am I saying that Pienaar is a bad player, but if MA is wanting to stick by his claim then Marshall should start.

He only brings guys back into the team if they've played well the week before, and in my opinion, Pienaar's cameo was OK at best.
So if Marshall plays every week because he is the form player, how is Pienaar going to get a chance to show MA what he can do in gametime? Give Pienaar time to gel and a few starts and he will be back at number 1.

Also Pienaars cameo was just okay? Did you leave after 70 minutes and not see his try?
Marshall or any player is not going to play test match standard every game. You've got to reward his performance from last night.

Pienaar is by far our best 9 but he has to wait for his opportunity like every other player does.

If I were picking the team, unless Marshall has a similar display to last night, I'd start Pienaar in the next Rabbo game & obviously give him some serious game time against Glasgow off the bench.
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

When will RP rejoin SA?
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

I tend to agree that p will not get an Irish cap in 2012 but if he doesn't get the Fiji game things are a lot worse at D4 than I'd thought.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
bazzaj

Post by bazzaj »

LastKnightoftheproms wrote:I have just watched Connor Murry put in a really poor 80 minutes culminating in giving Racing a penalty to win the game.

He honestly resembled the Paul Marshall of two years ago with his brain fart attempt at running out of his own 22.
You beat me to this.
If DK reckons Murray is better than small P we should seriously question his sanity.
On the other hand it may be better for him and PJs development that they dont get selected for Ireland.
Kidney could potentially ruin the pair of them.
Wait till the IRFU grow a pair and get rid of DK and replace him with someone who knows what they are doing, before bringing the two of them in.
Amiga500
Warrior Chief

Post by Amiga500 »

breakdown wrote:Also Pienaars cameo was just okay? Did you leave after 70 minutes and not see his try?
Lies, damn lies... and statistics.

IMO we were markedly worse with Pienaar at the base of the rucks. Being the last man on the end of a breakaway run of two backs against two forwards should not be allowed to mask that.
TheElephantMan
Steward

Post by TheElephantMan »

Have to comment on the wonderful performace by Paul Marshall ......what a talent! Surely he is in line for an Irish call up (even Kidney will have to get over his prejudice against Ulster players!!) and some improvement will see him challenging Phillips for the Lions.there is no one else to challenge him unfortunately!! :blueafro:
Last edited by TheElephantMan on Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

bazzaj wrote:
LastKnightoftheproms wrote:I have just watched Connor Murry put in a really poor 80 minutes culminating in giving Racing a penalty to win the game.

He honestly resembled the Paul Marshall of two years ago with his brain fart attempt at running out of his own 22.
You beat me to this.
If DK reckons Murray is better than small P we should seriously question his sanity.
On the other hand it may be better for him and PJs development that they dont get selected for Ireland.
Kidney could potentially ruin the pair of them.
Wait till the IRFU grow a pair and get rid of DK and replace him with someone who knows what they are doing, before bringing the two of them in.
Someone get this man a pint for the comment of the day!
darkside lightside
Lord Chancellor

Post by darkside lightside »

Outstanding stuff from Marshall, forget about the tries his distribution, decisions and box kicks were absolutely on the money - and no harm to Pienaar, justifiably held very high in our collective esteem - IMO ulsters attacking play unquestionably suffered when small left the park.. Absolutely agree with the OP btw, for my money the ovation was more for Marshall's performance, than Ruan's welcome..

Wrt Irish selection - Marshall has been the best Irish 9 this season by a country mile; Reddan has been pretty good as well, but the grossly over-rated Murray hasn't even been decent. 2 big matches back to back, Leinster and Racing - he has been unspeakably bad. But guess what, little bogger Kidney will still have him nailed on for the AIs... Go figure..
[The Artist Formerly Known as Caolan]

On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero - Tyler Durden
ruckover
Lord Chancellor

Post by ruckover »

BD, who would you put in for Glasgow next week and why? Anscombe has to ask himself this question too.

If he chooses Pienaar, it is simply because of his reputation, not how he played last night. And this is something which the man himself has admitted he is trying to avoid.

If he chooses Marshall, it is because he played well last night and is a reward for his good form. It may upset Ruan, but it will give him a kick up the backside and tell him, "You need to prove yourself to be selected."

I don't care which plays, one is world class, and one is in great form. Whichever scrum-half starts will have my backing, but I would choose Marshall because he is in form and will prove that Pienaar is not just selected because of his reputation.

And, no, I didn't leave after 70 minutes. Pienaar's try was a classic breakaway try. Any other scrum-half could have, and probably would have done the same thing in his position. Just because he finishes a breakaway move doesn't mean he's brilliant. In my opinion Luke Marshall did more work, spinning away from the first defender, whereas Pienaar just had to turn on the afterburners to beat the two tired defenders at the back.
You haven't seen me at my best yet. Let's be honest, you probably never will.
ruckover
Lord Chancellor

Post by ruckover »

Guys, we should stop talking about Ireland selection right now. Although Marshall should be in the Autumn International starting team, we all know he won't even be in the squad. So there's no point in talking about it.
You haven't seen me at my best yet. Let's be honest, you probably never will.
Aird
Squire

Post by Aird »

Certainly a great night for beagle,and really well taken scores, but RP is still a Class act, his delivery of his pans seems effortless.
The other good news for beagle was Muray Haida nightmare in Paris this afternoon.
This could be a problem for Ulster if both First Choice scrumhalfs are away with their international squads, although young Heaney has played quite effecitively when he has come on.
breakdown
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by breakdown »

ruckover wrote:BD, who would you put in for Glasgow next week and why? Anscombe has to ask himself this question too.

If he chooses Pienaar, it is simply because of his reputation, not how he played last night. And this is something which the man himself has admitted he is trying to avoid.

If he chooses Marshall, it is because he played well last night and is a reward for his good form. It may upset Ruan, but it will give him a kick up the backside and tell him, "You need to prove yourself to be selected."

I don't care which plays, one is world class, and one is in great form. Whichever scrum-half starts will have my backing, but I would choose Marshall because he is in form and will prove that Pienaar is not just selected because of his reputation.

And, no, I didn't leave after 70 minutes. Pienaar's try was a classic breakaway try. Any other scrum-half could have, and probably would have done the same thing in his position. Just because he finishes a breakaway move doesn't mean he's brilliant. In my opinion Luke Marshall did more work, spinning away from the first defender, whereas Pienaar just had to turn on the afterburners to beat the two tired defenders at the back.

I'd start Ruan, to give him a chance. It's in Scotland so sterotypicay it will probably rain, meaning a more forward dominated game. beagle wouldn't be as effective in that situation IMO. And as someone else said, it's an away match in Europe, we need to control it consistently, and Ruan brings a lot more control and composure with him than Marshall.
Chris Henry is superhuman... I think he's half cyborg