Who was your Ulster MOTM vs Castres?

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Who was your Ulster MOTM vs Castres?

J Payne
10%
T Bowe
No votes
D Cave
3%
P Wallace
No votes
A Trimble
3%
P Jackson
5%
P Marshall
44%
T Court
No votes
R Best
No votes
J Afoa
No votes
J Muller
1%
D Tuohy
No votes
I Henderson
6%
M McComish
No votes
C Henry
26%
C Gilroy
No votes
L Marshall
No votes
R Pienaar
No votes
R Herring
No votes
L Stevenson
No votes
C Black
1%

Total votes: 77

Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Who was your Ulster MOTM vs Castres?

Post by Rooster »

Snipe Watson wrote: I don't think Chris is a good captain. He leads by example, but he is not gobby enough.
Why do you want a gobby captain ? too gobby and you get on the wrong side of the ref and that is not good.
Captain needs to be someone who commands the respect of the other players and we can debate it all we like but it will come down to that at the end, at present we have Johann, Rory and Chris so that is probably the pecking order at present, who knows what next season will bring.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Rooster wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote: I don't think Chris is a good captain. He leads by example, but he is not gobby enough.
Why do you want a gobby captain ? too gobby and you get on the wrong side of the ref and that is not good.
Captain needs to be someone who commands the respect of the other players and we can debate it all we like but it will come down to that at the end, at present we have Johann, Rory and Chris so that is probably the pecking order at present, who knows what next season will bring.
Let me reword then. In my view, Chris is not a natural communicator. I have noticed when he was captain in the past that he is not forceful enough talking to referees etc. His actions do the talking, but he needs to talk as well. Rory isn’t great either, but Johann is superb so is BOD and POC. You can take it too far as POC did with Poite.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Snipe Watson wrote:
Rooster wrote:
Let me reword then. In my view, Chris is not a natural communicator. I have noticed when he was captain in the past that he is not forceful enough talking to referees etc. His actions do the talking, but he needs to talk as well. Rory isn’t great either, but Johann is superb so is BOD and POC. You can take it too far as POC did with Poite.
So Rory or Chris are not great yet Rory has captained both Ulster and Ireland and Chris has captained Ulster and Wolfhounds, nuff said Snipe now take your little tablets and go and lie down in the dark for 8 hours. :lol:
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Kofi Annan
Lord Chancellor

Post by Kofi Annan »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote:
Kofi Annan wrote:Why don't you think Chris is a good Captain ?
Snipe Watson wrote:I don't think Chris is a good captain. He leads by example, but he is not gobby enough. Probably too well brought up..........
Kofi - Have a guess - go on ....... you know you want to ........
If being gooby was a prerequisite to being a Captain, then I am afraid sir you would be reduced in rank to buckshee spare body :wink:

Bod on the other hand and has become a bit of a gooby Captain IMHO
“For the liespotter who knows how to listen well, the random words, sounds, and phrases in a person's speech are never as random as they seem. They offer a clear sightline into the liar's psyche.”
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Rooster wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:
Rooster wrote: Why do you want a gobby captain ? too gobby and you get on the wrong side of the ref and that is not good.
So Rory or Chris are not great yet Rory has captained both Ulster and Ireland and Chris has captained Ulster and Wolfhounds, nuff said Snipe now take your little tablets and go and lie down in the dark for 8 hours. :lol:
Look again Roaster. I said Rory isn't a natural communicator in the way that Johann is. He's obvoiusly a good captain.
I don't think Chris makes a good captain. Clearly others think he is, but I'm happy with that. I just don't see it.
Kofi Annan
Lord Chancellor

Post by Kofi Annan »

Mmmm don't see a lot unless its your opinion :duck:

Sent by my Commodore 64 using taptotype no 1
“For the liespotter who knows how to listen well, the random words, sounds, and phrases in a person's speech are never as random as they seem. They offer a clear sightline into the liar's psyche.”
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Snipe Watson wrote: Look again Roaster. I said Rory isn't a natural communicator in the way that Johann is. He's obvoiusly a good captain.
So you do admit Rory makes a good captain then ? therefore should he not be next captain when Johann leaves ?

Us discussing this is all crap anyway as next captain will be whoever the chiefs notice gains the respect of the rest of the squad as a captains main function is to unite the squad, talking to a ref is secondary especially when it comes to talking to Clancy or Philips anyway.
Rory Best
bootlaced
Lord Chancellor

Post by bootlaced »

Rooster wrote:
Cornerfleg wrote:But I am a huge Chad fan ... the guy mopped up any mistakes, put his body right on the line, always talking and comending the team, when Muller goes he's our next captain. I think he is the ultimate professional, he's been dicked around his whole career by the old UR regeme - even when he was at Malone being told where to play week in week out and moved about - then totally ignored by that muppet Matt Williams, offered not much but then pushed into the lime light to save Ulster when there was injuries - now he has got his reward and respect for just getting on with it. If I had to pick an Ulsterman who embodies what Ulster rugby is about it would be Chris.
:thumleft:
Add in Lewis as well, kicked around the AIL for a fair old time before anyone caught on to his potential, he might be a bench man now but reckon he is a starter when Johann goes as well
Come to think of it we have a fair old proportion of players in that type mould, Nigel Brady another one who I don't think no matter who offered him a contract would have left.

Ha Ha,he had to go over to England to establish himself,no doubt we may hear the same re Sandford if/when he comes back,but on a serious note how many Ulster born rugby players are now playing away from home??????????
"Never whistle while you're pi$$ing", Hagbard Celine
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Rooster wrote: So you do admit Rory makes a good captain then ?
Admit :scratch: that implies that I suggested he wasn't a good captain........
Us discussing this is all crap anyway as next captain will be whoever the chiefs notice gains the respect of the rest of the squad as a captains main function is to unite the squad
Obviously, I didn't think Breakdown was Humph in disguise and polling supporter opinion.
If we weren't allowed to talk crap on this board it would be :silent: :silent: ...................
talking to a ref is secondary especially when it comes to talking to Clancy or Philips anyway.
or Paterson
damianmcr
Lord Chancellor

Post by damianmcr »

At the ravens match Chris played in he was captain. He was down with thel team after the Munster try near the end and he did plenty of talking. He seemed furious and was coordinating what to do on the restart.
Scranner
Warrior

Post by Scranner »

Back to the subject - MOTM. For me it was Small P but so many of the rest put in a good shift that it almost seems redundant to choose a MOTM. Thought Henry and Henderson played blinders. Jackson had an excellent game. Tuohy and Muller were immense. And some of the 3/4s weren't too shabby. Celebrate the 5pt win and get set for next week because although they were beaten by N'hampton, Glasgow are not going to be easy.
STATE PRO VIRIS ULTONIAE
darkside lightside
Lord Chancellor

Post by darkside lightside »

Rooster wrote:
Exactly, I think Henry is an exceptional captain for that very reason! I chatted to him in a hotel once, and he was an extremely open and likeable sort of a guy, chatted away even though he had to jump on the bus to the stadium shortly after - I think there's something to be said for that, refs are after all human beings like the rest of us, and react to other people's behaviour like the rest of us
[The Artist Formerly Known as Caolan]

On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero - Tyler Durden