Glasgow - Ulster

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Glasgow - Ulster

Post by BaggyTrousers »

That is a pretty horrific injury list. I must have looked away at the wrong time for I didn't see what Tommy did wrong.

Looks like we can only beat ourselves the way things are shaping for Weegies, beginning to feel quite sorry for them. Really. :shock:

Not counting chickens, just seeing the wood without trees in the way.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Tenyarder
Novice

Post by Tenyarder »

LastKnightoftheproms wrote:I guess what I way trying to say is that a reversion to type forced by injuries
Point taken, but who is left to actually take the kicks?! I always admired Weir in that role, as he seemed to be pretty calm and could do the business - although a bit too many pork pies for an elegant 10!

As for Tommy the incident is a bit of a non-event, as was Big John's in Turnipstan, but looks like a few matches out.
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

LastKnightoftheproms wrote:Pork pies? You mean battered haggis suppers surely? :lol:

I think wee Ruiadhri (?) has the makings of a decent 10. I see on their site he was happy enough talking to the fans after the Saints game so he may well be ok. After him I don't know who they have.
I played a few club games with Scottie Wight when I lived in Scotland, I see he's now contracted with the Warriors he's an option for them at 10 if R Jackson is not fit and if he is HEC registered.
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

Ulster no. 9 - Just curious. Are you Ruan or are you beagle?? :stir:
craigchalmers
Novice

Post by craigchalmers »

Tenyarder wrote:
LastKnightoftheproms wrote:I guess what I way trying to say is that a reversion to type forced by injuries
Point taken, but who is left to actually take the kicks?! I always admired Weir in that role, as he seemed to be pretty calm and could do the business - although a bit too many pork pies for an elegant 10!

As for Tommy the incident is a bit of a non-event, as was Big John's in Turnipstan, but looks like a few matches out.
Scott Wight appears to have fallen out of favour with Townsend recently (started v Connacht, but hasn't featured since, with Horne covering 10 in the last few games). However, the fact he is fit and registered means he is pretty much certain to start this weekend (unless Jackson recovers in time) Will be interesting to see if he takes charge of place kicks though, or Horne continues (he is 9/11 since taking over from Jacko)

As for Tommy - praying ERC show a bit of leinency, but knowing them, he will get a longer ban than Andy Hazel ends up with for trying to murder an opposition player in full view of the ref on thursday...
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

rakem wrote:... ie 1f in reverse, ...
Don't be daft man. 1F only does full-tilt forward!
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
BigHairyMonster
Initiate

Post by BigHairyMonster »

Expect a tough game - I hate it when ulster come to Glasgow. We always seem to get tight I don't know why. Looking forward to my first visit to scotstoun as a 'new rugby' venue. Watched ulster there many many years ago. That is of course if I can recover from jet lag after trip home from Hong Kong. Bizarre watching the castres game on the other side of the world. DTH the biggest loss for weejis in my view. He's their Visser.
BHM
Geal'us Dearg a suas - Up the White and Red
Neil F
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neil F »

BHM; one of the reasons why Ulster always looked tight in Glasgow - particularly at Firhill - is because the pitch at Firhill actually didn't conform to professional rugby standards. From deadball line to deadball line, the pitch was about 105 metres (compared to the internationally recognised 120m - 140m range). Accordingly, rather than 100m long from posts to posts, the pitch was about 97m or so. I think a couple of metres was also lost on width but don't know the exact details. In a way, I think the Firhill pitch was responsible for the way Glasgow plays; given the size and the sand, it is not a good place to play open rugby. It also must have played a role in the way other teams played in Glasgow. I don't think it's a case of Ulster being tight, per se, but of having had to play tight on the pitch there.

Scotstoun, supposedly, contains a full-sized rugby pitch and I would fancy that the surface couldn't be worse than at Firhill, so I would expect Ulster (and other visiting teams) to be able to better impose their own game in Glasgow than they were at Firhill. Glasgow were a difficult team to beat at Firhill; they didn't lose many games there and lost even fewer by big margins. Will be interesting to see if the same happens at Scotstoun over the course of this season.
AyeYerMa
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by AyeYerMa »

Jackie Brown wrote:I expect there to be a massive traveling support. Should sound almost like a home game.
Absolutely gutted that I'm missing it, but have a wedding to go to in Manchester on Sunday.

Also echo what's been said about Firhill, the pitch is really ugly.
I came for my woman, he came with a razor blade,
Bound like us all for the ocean
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Should get a good student crowd in as always in Glasgow and 'burgh.

Traditionally the singing is a little different however, usually you hear an Ulster 'til I die or 2 sung over the TV. Might upset a few of the traditionalists and FNW will wonder what is going on!
Mac
Chancellor to the King

Post by Mac »

Seymore cited.....
Seymour, meanwhile, is alleged to have carried out a dangerous tackle on Northampton Saints wing Vas Artemyev during the second half of Glasgow's loss at Franklin's Gardens.
http://www.planet-rugby.co.za/story/0,2 ... 28,00.html
Image Image
If You Have To Ask....You Don't Understand
Cornerfleg
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cornerfleg »

Anyone heard anything about whether Fat Nick is up and about and raring to go this weekend?
Always ask yourself, "What would Big Rodney do"... And every time the answer is... "Eat It"
kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by kingofthehill »

Cornerfleg wrote:Anyone heard anything about whether Fat Nick is up and about and raring to go this weekend?
Fingers crossed.
The King is dead. Long live the King.
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

AyeYerMa wrote:
Jackie Brown wrote:I expect there to be a massive traveling support. Should sound almost like a home game.
Absolutely gutted that I'm missing it, but have a wedding to go to in Manchester on Sunday.

Also echo what's been said about Firhill, the pitch is really ugly.
I'm missing it too, off to South Africa for 2 weeks instead, gutted. Will make up for it in Franklins Gardens.
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Cornerfleg wrote:Anyone heard anything about whether Fat Nick is up and about and raring to go this weekend?
It's what he told me last Friday night. He gave the impression he was close to playing last week.

He seemed slightly more concerned about 1F for this week, although he thought he should make it too.
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right