Glasgow - Ulster

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Re: Glasgow - Ulster

Post by mikerob »

It is a bit of a worry about Ferris still being unavailable. Even if he does get fit in the next couple of weeks, would anyone bet against him not getting crocked again in the AIs?

It has almost got to the stage where between injuries and international call-ups you can almost write him off as an Ulster player. I hope the team mindset has got beyond viewing him as a "talisman" in the same way Munster view POC and ROG. Because like POC and ROG, you just can't rely on them these days.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

OneMore wrote:
BaggyTrousers wrote: For the record I believe that Ruan's fitness & happiness are very much in Ulster's best interests and I would expect UR to try to accommodate him. I also believe that it would be best done pre-Christmas much as December has a testing run of fixtures.

In reality we still have players bedding in following protracted rests through injury or Deccie, Roger & Ruan hadn't been irreplaceable. Another brief period should not harm us & better now than when things get more edgy & crucial.
I agree with this. It's a long season ahead. Nothing is won before Christmas, and our bright start puts us in such a place that even with a dip in form we'd not be out of anything by then either.
Peace be with you brother Yin.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Cornerfleg
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cornerfleg »

One door closes over another opens ... Henderson is special - plus he has 2 good knees.
Always ask yourself, "What would Big Rodney do"... And every time the answer is... "Eat It"
Loki
Warrior Assassin

Post by Loki »

cracking team, lots of power in it. Henderson again impressed last Friday and with Henry in there alongside Fit Nick it doesn't seem callow. Fez i fully expect to come back and demonstrate the difference between himself and Henderson but for the moment it's great to know we have a strong, developing option for his eventual replacement. Hopefully Fez can help him through the inevitable young player's dip in form also.

with regards to squad rotation I think we're seeing it in places and will do even more over the AIs and 6N. As much as I like Stevenson - and I agree largely with ColinM about his ability and plus points - I don't think he's quite good enough to partner Tuohy long term. When JM does move on I'd expect Ulster to sign a stronger player and keep Stevenson in the mix. That said he's done excellently and along with Small Paul is somewhat unlucky to miss out.

should be targetting an away win, I'm not so sure about the BP. Glasgow have a habit of making games ugly and attritional.
Last edited by Loki on Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Cornerfleg wrote:One door closes over another opens ... Henderson is special - plus he has 2 good knees.
He has one suspect knee AFAIK
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

15 Stuart Hogg

14 Byron McGuigan *
13 Peter Murchie
12 Peter Horne
11 Alex Dunbar

10 Ruaridh Jackson
9 Henry Pyrgos

1 Ryan Grant
2 Dougie Hall
3 Mike Cusack
4 Tom Ryder
5 Al Kellock (CAPTAIN)
6 Josh Strauss
7 Chris Fusaro
8 Ryan Wilson

SUBSTITUTES

16 Finlay Gillies
17 Ofa Fainga’anuku
18 Gordon Reid
19 Tim Swinson
20 Rob Harley *
21 John Barclay
22 Scott Wight
23 Niko Matawalu *

* If Tommy Seymour is cleared to play, he will come into the starting XV at 14. Byron McGuigan will go onto the bench at 23, with Sean Kennedy coming in at 21. John Barclay will move to 20, with Rob Harley and Niko Matawalu dropping out of the match-day squad.
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

Yeah, it is a strong Ulster team so my concern about Ferris is more about whether he has much of a career left in rugby rather than the impact for this weekend.
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

ColinM wrote:Team nearly picks itself now for these games, once the status of fat Nick and 1F was known.

I have slight sympathy for p but he'll start the next two weeks if Ruan gets his holiday, I have much greater sympathy for big Stevenson who I thought lead the line magnificently in the absence of Touhy and Muller and has performed well in his appearances since. We'll need him next year so hoping he gets enough gametime to convince him to stay on.
Agree 100% Colin. I have a high regard for Lew as a Lock...love his abrasiveness. In any other circumstance, he'd start, but Muller is Muller....
If JM does go next season, Big Lew and DT, with Big Ryan Caldwell back in the fold and Contrite..... :stir: :salut: :lol:
Exterminate all rational thought
ruckover
Lord Chancellor

Post by ruckover »

Let's not get ahead of ourselves. If the BP presents itself then that's great, but for now, the mentality must be win at all costs. Personally, I think Glasgow will make it a forwards battle and the BP won't be up for grabs. It would be more realistic trying to prevent Glasgow from getting the LBP instead.
You haven't seen me at my best yet. Let's be honest, you probably never will.
Cornerfleg
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cornerfleg »

Well said Ruck - a win is a win even by a point and I'll be delighted ... anything else is a bonus ... I'm not switching the Telly on expecting a rout ...
Always ask yourself, "What would Big Rodney do"... And every time the answer is... "Eat It"
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

ruckover wrote:Let's not get ahead of ourselves. If the BP presents itself then that's great, but for now, the mentality must be win at all costs. Personally, I think Glasgow will make it a forwards battle and the BP won't be up for grabs. It would be more realistic trying to prevent Glasgow from getting the LBP instead.
LBP won't be of much value to them if they lose tomorrow, but yes, secure the 4 points and anything else is a bonus in every sense. Away wins are still like hen's teeth in this competition as last w/e proved.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

Since I'm not going this time, any bars to watch it in? Was thinking Lisbarnett at Lisbane... Anyone recommend anywhere in the North down area?
Exterminate all rational thought
againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

Post by againstthehead »

Any kind of win for Ulster and it will be a very good result. A defeat would leave a mountain to climb if Northampton win in France.
Climb up onto the top of your house and start screaming: 'stand up for the Ulstermen, stand.......'
Wee Woman
Lord Chancellor

Post by Wee Woman »

Not going to be an easy game, target the win and lets see where that takes us in terms of the bonus point.

LOVING the fact that MA has such a selection headache, even if it feels a bit alien - will we ever get used to this??

Also, would love to know who Gerry Thornley's source was for the RP time off rumour :scratch:
The Boo Radleys
Warrior

Post by The Boo Radleys »

McBrides in Comber always good craic!
The six most dangerous words in the English Language - Your reward will come in Heaven...