Glasgow - Ulster

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Re: Glasgow - Ulster

Post by Bart S »

I can see why Ulster would like to have Whitten back, but would he want to come unless he felt he was going to seriously challenge for a first team place? He's playing decent first team rugby week in week out for a side who's going well in the AP.

Caldwell is a guy who could well have got some ireland caps as back up to POC and DOC a few years ago but was guilty of pressing the self destruct button far too often.

The one thing I'd say with Hump though is that if he did come back, it will be because he's managed to persuade the doc that the attitude is spot on, as this is one area where I believe Hump has particularly excelled with his signings to date.
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

Jackie Brown wrote:Back on topic, Seymour suspended.
Oops. Sorry Jackie - you're right. Had forgotten that this thread was about A BIG GAME FOR ULSTER TOMORROW!!! :red:
The Boo Radleys
Warrior

Post by The Boo Radleys »

On a team of 1-23, how many Glasgow players would make a select team?
The six most dangerous words in the English Language - Your reward will come in Heaven...
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

Boo - I think even the most ardent Glasgow fan (who would see their players week in week out) would pick a high number of Ulster players for a composite team from those available.

However, they'll be fired up and with home advantage will be a tough enough nut to crack.

Besides, I remember people saying before the Heineken Cup final that a composite Ulster - Leinster team would have as many Ulstermen in it and look where that got us.... :(
ruckover
Lord Chancellor

Post by ruckover »

Jackie Brown wrote:Back on topic, Seymour suspended.
Agree - this has gone way off topic.

With Seymour gone, the Weegies now have Alex Dunbar (who is a centre) and Byron McGuigan (who is making his HC debut) at wing. Not bad cover against Tommy Bowe and Andrew Trimble I'm being sarcastic
You haven't seen me at my best yet. Let's be honest, you probably never will.
craigchalmers
Novice

Post by craigchalmers »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
As for the pitch, I haven;t seen a game on it, but what I can tell you it appears to be pretty modern from photos I've seen it may well have had a makeover, there is an athletics track & you kind of reckon they have those set up for drainage, hopefully not into the middle on the pitch :shock:

Paid it a visit on Google Earth and it looks an 8 lane athletics track, pretty large stand on 1 side & smaller on the other, totally exposed at both ends. Unless they put up temporary stands at the end, you wouldn't need to be in the ground to watch :lol: Would imagine the atmosphere would dissipate into the night sky. Sky will have to flood the place with effects microphones.
Ground was redeveloped a couple of years ago - and the pitch has always looked reasonable since. Hasn't actually hosted much since the ground re-opened in 2010 though. The surface is definitely grass though, so an improvement on Firhill...

As for the ends being open (and by the way, in case any of you are tight and don't fancy paying - it was easier to watch a game without paying at Firhill), only one end is open this week. The other end has this.

(pic courtesy of the Glasgow twitter account)

Anyway, time for me to head to bed. Have a lunchtime appointment with a pint tomorrow. Safe travels to those of you making the journey over and I hope to share plenty of drinks with you over the day, and those who aren't travelling... I may come back to discuss the game, provided we don't do an Edinburgh!
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

Thanks Craig. Looking forward to the trip to Scotstoun. Hopefully you'll be back on here again, but to congratulate us, rather than having any reason to gloat!

TBH, you'll always be welcome on here....you have a special place in our hearts after fluffing that last gasp penalty for Edinburgh at Myreside, which set us on the way to our Heineken Cup glory in 1999 :wink:
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

rumncoke wrote:Ryan Suffered at Ulster because his card was marked by some whistle happy refs and he was easy to spot.
Easy to spot is correct. His offences were usually blatantly obvious and dumb.

I saw him get yellow carded by English refs when he played for Ireland A, in a pre-season friendly and a B&I cup game so those refs who had marked his card must have been all over the place.
Cornerfleg
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cornerfleg »

Any idea of how many Ulstermen are heading over for this?
Always ask yourself, "What would Big Rodney do"... And every time the answer is... "Eat It"
pip14
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by pip14 »

Don't know if this has been mentioned yet but all flights into Glasgow airport are suspended at current.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-20001291
You've got to get your first tackle in early, even if it's late.
mea97mb
Squire

Post by mea97mb »

I hope the pitch has improved since this picture was taken :lol:

The Boo Radleys
Warrior

Post by The Boo Radleys »

Anybody flying into Glasgow today will be delayed.....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-20001291
The six most dangerous words in the English Language - Your reward will come in Heaven...
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

The Boo Radleys wrote:Anybody flying into Galgow today will be delayed.....
More beer time in the airport

SUFTUM
AyeYerMa
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by AyeYerMa »

According to the chap on City Tower they're not anticipating any further delays.

Sometimes they don't anticipate that well though.
I came for my woman, he came with a razor blade,
Bound like us all for the ocean
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Glasgow is not that busy. They can catch up fairly quickly.