Dragons game

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Dragons game

Post by Rooster »

I don't think Gilroys defence of the crossfield kick to a Fijian midget last week was one of his finer moments so he may be on the bench again
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Cornerfleg
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cornerfleg »

Still can't deceid if Gilroys being outjumped by an Umpa Lumpa was bad defence or was he trying really hard to get back from a try saving tackle on the other side of the pitch.
Always ask yourself, "What would Big Rodney do"... And every time the answer is... "Eat It"
Scranner
Warrior

Post by Scranner »

rocky wrote:Most of the big guns will probably remember who is paying their large salaries - and it isn't the provinces. If they're called, they'll go so, sadly, the Ireland management team holds most of the cards.
Ask any of the IQs playing for Ulster and I guarantee they would tell you that playing for Ireland is the sum of their ambitions with one or two aspiring to the Lions.

We've had this out before. IRFU pay the wages of centrally contracted players (freeing up UR money for NIQs) and have first call on their services. We may not like losing players to the Irish squad but just look at what happens in other countries where the good players are leaving to get the big money. (Wales for example). We could not afford Fez, Bowe, Pienaar, Muller etc if it were not for IRFU subvention.

If Ireland is not successful, there will be no money for the Provinces. We couldn't possibly keep a string like ours on sponsorship and gate money - especially given the comparatively cheap cost of Ulster tickets.
STATE PRO VIRIS ULTONIAE
Harold7
Warrior

Post by Harold7 »

Cornerfleg wrote:Still can't deceid if Gilroys being outjumped by an Umpa Lumpa was bad defence or was he trying really hard to get back from a try saving tackle on the other side of the pitch.
I'm glad someone else has made this point. Gilroy had just made a superb last gasp tackle he then works his butt off to get back onto his wing and by the time he got there it was too late for him to do much.

As for Friday, hopefully we'll have our internationals available, the first test isn't until the 10th Nov so there's no reason why they should be held back this week.

Go full strength for an away game to the Dragons and then we can (or rather will have to) rotate the following week.
launish116
Initiate

Post by launish116 »

is robbie diack fit again?

All for rotation definitly need to give Afoa abreak i feel, is fitzpatrick fit again?

few positions need rotated and expereince given as good payne is another area one injury and we could be up the shitter!
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

Ireland may want Ferris to get gametime (if he is fit) as he has had very little this season so far.

I see the need for Ulster to give some gametime to alternates at FB and THP as we have been really reliant on Payne and Afoa so far.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Scranner wrote:
If Ireland is not successful, there will be no money for the Provinces. We couldn't possibly keep a string like ours on sponsorship and gate money - especially given the comparatively cheap cost of Ulster tickets.
Recently, Ireland is not successful, we just charge a lot of money to see the team play!

Ferris is first and foremost an Ulster player, same as the others. IRFU may pay his wages, but then again, Rory pays the wages of some of the others, does Rory dictate when a player can play? I would bloody well hope he was spending his time showing Wozniaki how it's done, rather than calling up Mark and giving him an earful!

If the IRFU don't want Ferris playing or do want Ferris playing, then play him, or don't play him, in the matches they have full control over.

The Ulster staff and medical team, along with Ferris will know much better than the Irish team how to manage Ferris's injury run.

So, if Ferris is fit, and able to fulfil a bench spot or better this Friday, and physically and mentally wants to play, then the decision is Ferris's and Ulster Rugby's. Not some tool of a school teacher from Cork!
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

Russ wrote:
Scranner wrote:

Ferris is first and foremost an Ulster player, same as the others.
I think you will find his contract says otherwise. Ferris is on a central contract to the IRFU, as are Bowe and Best and maybe Wallace and Court. They are on different contracts from the rest of the team.
eeyore
Initiate

Post by eeyore »

Russ wrote:
Scranner wrote:
Recently, Ireland is not successful, we just charge a lot of money to see the team play!

Ferris is first and foremost an Ulster player, same as the others. IRFU may pay his wages, but then again, Rory pays the wages of some of the others, does Rory dictate when a player can play? I would bloody well hope he was spending his time showing Wozniaki how it's done, rather than calling up Mark and giving him an earful!

If the IRFU don't want Ferris playing or do want Ferris playing, then play him, or don't play him, in the matches they have full control over.

The Ulster staff and medical team, along with Ferris will know much better than the Irish team how to manage Ferris's injury run.

So, if Ferris is fit, and able to fulfil a bench spot or better this Friday, and physically and mentally wants to play, then the decision is Ferris's and Ulster Rugby's. Not some tool of a school teacher from Cork!
Before I pass comment Russ, are you getting off for half term next week?
Wooohooo!! Only donkey left on the board
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

eeyore wrote:
Russ wrote:
Scranner wrote:

Before I pass comment Russ, are you getting off for half term next week?
I would say that is passing comment.

To stay on topic, Ferris says he is fit to play. He wants to play, he wants to be match fit to play for the tripe in Green. The bean counters and fence sitter Deccie don't want him to play. Fine, rest him against Fiji, and maybe in the other 2 games that only 1 man and his dog can afford to go and see.
OneMore
Warrior Chief

Post by OneMore »

launish116 wrote: ...definitly need to give Afoa abreak i feel...
I sincerely hope you're not suggesting John Afoa's form has taken any sort of dip?!
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Squad named http://www.ulsterrugby.com/news/10903.php

Roger Wilson and Declan Fitzpatrick have been named in the extended Ulster squad for Friday's RaboDirect PRO12 game against Dragons at Rodney Parade (kick off 7.05pm).

It is the first time Wilson has been named in a preliminary squad since his return to Ulster, having suffered a hamstring tear playing for Northampton Saints at the end of last season. The number 8 has enjoyed impressive outings for the Ravens in recent weeks and scored two tries in Sunday’s loss to Bristol.
Fitzpatrick had suffered a reoccurrence of a medial ligament injury prior to the Connacht match earlier this month but has undertaken full training over the past week and will be hopeful of getting much needed game time.

Stephen Ferris has been included after missing the last two games with a back injury, while flyhalf Niall O’Connor has also been added to the panel.

Johann Muller has been ruled out for eight weeks after sustaining a thumb injury in Friday’s Heineken Cup win over Glasgow. Ireland international back row Chris Henry will captain the side in Muller’s absence.

Ulster continue to set the pace at the top of the PRO12 table, and still possess a 100% winning record in all competitions this season. The Ulstermen have won five of their last six fixtures with Welsh regions and have been victorious on their two visits to Wales so far this campaign.

Dragons’ only win in their last seven matches in all competitions was 32-12 at home to Edinburgh in round five of the league. The Welsh outfit have an even worse record against Irish provinces, winning just one of their last 14 encounters. That success did come over Ulster though, just over 12 months ago when they registered a 22-9 win at Rodney Parade. The Ulstermen have managed only one victory at Rodney Parade since 2006.

ULSTER SQUAD TO FACE DRAGONS, RABODIRECT PRO12, FRI 26TH OCTOBER, RODNEY PARADE (7.05PM):

FORWARDS (15):

Rory Best, Nigel Brady, Tom Court, Callum Black, Declan Fitzpatrick, Adam Macklin, John Afoa, Lewis Stevenson, Dan Tuohy, Iain Henderson, Stephen Ferris, Mike McComish, Chris Henry (capt), Nick Williams, Roger Wilson.

BACKS (11):

Paul Marshall, Ruan Pienaar, Niall O’Connor, Paddy Jackson, Paddy Wallace, Luke Marshall, Darren Cave, Andrew Trimble, Tommy Bowe, Craig Gilroy, Jared Payne.
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

Leaving aside sorting out some issues in our 1st choice side, there are a number of other issues to be addressed over the coming games, such as how we deal with an injury to the likes of Payne, Henry or PJ. I expect team selections for the next few games to look to address some of these issues by playing other guys in these positions to at least give them gametime and see what options we have.

As others have said, some rotiation is needed but hopefully we can manage it so that thee's a mix of experience in there with a few youngsters, to still give us a chance of winning. Even if everyone is available we may have to bite the bullet on occasions and rest a few guys for their benefit and to allow others to come through.
bangorboy
Steward

Post by bangorboy »

With Muller out surprised not to see McComb on the sheet...
Nevin Spence - Forever an Ulsterman
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

Rooster wrote:I don't think Gilroys defence of the crossfield kick to a Fijian midget last week was one of his finer moments so he may be on the bench again
Harsh Rooster, given he'd just made a tackle, then was the only back to fan across for the kick; he was also caught in two minds as he was outnumbered. He should never hve been isolated ,nor put in that position.Where was the rest of the defence?

I'd start him, as I think he should have more gametime, not least to challenge Zebo as the new bright young thing. He's been keen as mustard and raring to go when getting his statutory 10 min.... funny he was up to it last year. How quickly we forget. Rest Trimble. Bowe also needs more gametime.
Great positon to be in tho'.
Exterminate all rational thought