Dragons game

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Dragons game

Post by Jackie Brown »

Rooster wrote:I don't think Gilroys defence of the crossfield kick to a Fijian midget last week was one of his finer moments so he may be on the bench again
Rooster, I expect better posts from you... Has your account been hacked?
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
Big Nose
Novice

Post by Big Nose »

http://newportgwentdragons.com/News/Article/22708

Forwards;
Tom Prydie, Tonderai Chavhanga, Hallam Amos, Will Harries, Adam Hughes, Andy Tuilagi, Ashley Smith, Pat Leach, Lewis Robling, Steffan Jones, Jonathan Evans, Liam Davies

Backs;
Jevon Groves, Tom Brown, Toby Faletau, Lewis Evans, Nic Cudd, Rob Sidoli, Ian Nimmo, Adam Jones, Dan Way, Nathan Buck, Owen Evans, Phil Price, Nathan Williams, Steve Jones, Sam Parry.

Safe to say, if that's accurate we could be looking at putting 100 points on them.. ;)
Nightsoil
Warrior

Post by Nightsoil »

Neil F wrote:Russ; the point I'm making is that no one in professional rugby plays a player in a new position without good reason to do so. You do not learn what positions a player can and cannot play by selecting him in that position in a professional rugby game and seeing what happens. You learn by watching him in training - if he displays acumen in that position, or that he has the attributes to play in that position, that is when you select him to start a game. Saying, "We'll never know..." is not an argument for playing Gilroy at 15. Gilroy is watched by professional coaches day-in, day-out; professional coaches who know what makes a professional 15. These guys, as of yet, haven't felt it a good idea to play Gilroy at 15 either for Ulster or the Ravens.
I agree with your points in general but Gilroy has been played at 15. Both by Mike Ruddock in the U20s, and also coming on as a sub against Munster last season. And he does, imo, show at least some of the attributes of a 15. He's always looked good under a high ball, which is one thing, and he's an absolutely lethal counter-attacker with that step. He comes into the line off his wing well too. Yes, he'd have plenty to learn, but I can see potential there with my admittedly untrained eye. You don't try players just for the sake of it, but I wouldn't object to trying out Gilroy at 15 at all.
bangorboy wrote:Sure and if we have an injury to a back with only props on the bench would be worthwhile giving John & Tom some time at centre JUST IN CASE :-)
Maybe I'm just a wrong 'un, but I've always thought it would be pretty interesting to see how Afoa did at 12... maybe a Ravens match...
BuckRogers
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by BuckRogers »

Jackie Brown wrote:
Rooster wrote:I don't think Gilroys defence of the crossfield kick to a Fijian midget last week was one of his finer moments so he may be on the bench again
I don't think thats unfair tbh, Gilroy has not lived up to the high standards he set himself last season and has to be accountable for this. His confidence may not have been helped by being overlooked for Zebo to NZ, the arrival of Bowe and the general assumption he would be the third choice wing rather than a nailed on starter may also have affected him as well but ultimately if he wants to be better than Bowe and Trimble he has to do it both on the training pitch and also when he gets a chance in matches which he hasn't really done. He now has an opportunity in the coming weeks to probably get a run of games once again and I hope that he doesn't try to over-do it, he is at his brilliant best when relaxed, having the ball in both hands making mugs of opposing defenders and either beating them cleanly or starting fantastic attacks similar to the one in the Liberty this season. He has been shown up defensively on more than one occasion this season in rather similar circumstances which would indicate to me he has not necessarily learnt the lessons he should.
Eggs
Warrior Chief

Post by Eggs »

I Suspect that we may well see NOC involved this Friday, perhaps to allow a bit of a rest for both PJ and RP, I wonder is one of PW/LM/Cave going to be left of the side to make room, with NOC and small Paul starting and Jackson and Ruan on the bench
Harold7
Warrior

Post by Harold7 »

BuckRogers wrote:
Jackie Brown wrote:
Gilroy has not lived up to the high standards he set himself last season and has to be accountable for this.
That's a bit harsh given he's hardly played. He got wrong footed by Seymour and was rightly criticised, some are also criticsing him heavily for not being able to get from one side of the pitch to the other on the back of a magnificent try saving tackle to stop a crossfield kick. On the other side of the coin he's had his intercept try against Glasgow in the first game of the season and his excellent break and offload that set up NW's second against Cardiff to look back on. I think he's done pretty well when he's actually been given a chance.
ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Post by ColinM »

Young Gilroy got a run of games at the start and in pre season, then Tammy needed a run of games to get fit, then we had the HEC weeks which means the rotation policy goes in the bin for 14 days.

Over the season Gilroy will get plenty of game time.

And if we're looking for FB cover, Bowe is next in line after D'Arcy if its a big game, or Nelson if its a home game against the Italians in the Rabo
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

ColinM wrote:Young Gilroy got a run of games at the start and in pre season, then Tammy needed a run of games to get fit, then we had the HEC weeks which means the rotation policy goes in the bin for 14 days.

Over the season Gilroy will get plenty of game time.

And if we're looking for FB cover, Bowe is next in line after D'Arcy if its a big game, or Nelson if its a home game against the Italians in the Rabo
There, why didn't someone give that answer when it was asked if Gilroy could cover 15?

Now let's look forward to hoaking the Dragons!
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Unless Pienaar is seeking a rest I see no changes in the back line

In the forwards I see Henderson as a bench 2nd row, Wilson at 8 and Williams at 6 --at scrum time how they play the rest depends on the roles given to them ( ie Henderson is only 20/21 and has had two big games in two weeks ) ( Wilson might steady things at the back of the scrum where we have been a bit loose )

Basically I see the BBM playing his strongest team for as long as possible he is well aware that the AI s loom in the near future when the squad available will be reduced . He must maximise his chances of winning by minimising the changes in personnel.

Russ I wouldn't have you in charge of any Professional Team or club I wouldn't let you in through the gates never mind team selection ars-ing about with players is fine at school boy level but you never play another professional team playing players out of position just to see if they can play in another position ( unless no other options exist )

This is Professional rugby not the U13s
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by kingofthehill »

Mike Rudduck tried Gilroy at 15 for a couple of games in the U20 RWC in place of the star man at the time Andrew Conway (who moved from 15 to wing-scored most tries ever at u20s rwc level over Guildford if my memory serves me well)

Turns out Rudduck didn't think either were 15s. He turned out to be right if you ask me.

Could Gilroy cover 15,I would yes but I would be nervous every time he had to field a high ball or kick it for position.
The King is dead. Long live the King.
kingofthehill
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by kingofthehill »

Cornerfleg wrote:Did Tommy play any games at the Ospreys at 15, I know he played a brave few at 13 ...
Yeh he did.

He could gave Payne a rest and get Gilroy time on the wing.
The King is dead. Long live the King.
againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

Post by againstthehead »

Have to say that's an incredibly strong squad of players:
FORWARDS (15):

Rory Best, Nigel Brady, Tom Court, Callum Black, Declan Fitzpatrick, Adam Macklin, John Afoa, Lewis Stevenson, Dan Tuohy, Iain Henderson, Stephen Ferris, Mike McComish, Chris Henry (capt), Nick Williams, Roger Wilson.

BACKS (11):

Paul Marshall, Ruan Pienaar, Niall O’Connor, Paddy Jackson, Paddy Wallace, Luke Marshall, Darren Cave, Andrew Trimble, Tommy Bowe, Craig Gilroy, Jared Payne.

Surprised not to see big McComb sniffing around - henderson covering 2nd row I assume. Diack still not quite fit or just no space in the squad?
Backs again very strong. Looks like we're really targeting an away win here. I would have expected more rotation.
Climb up onto the top of your house and start screaming: 'stand up for the Ulstermen, stand.......'
ruckover
Lord Chancellor

Post by ruckover »

Referee: Peter Fitzgibbon (IRFU, 42nd competitive game)
Assistant referees: Leighton Hodges, Neil Perkins (both WRU)
Citing commissioner: Russell Howard (WRU)
TMO: Neil Ballard (WRU)
You haven't seen me at my best yet. Let's be honest, you probably never will.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Jackie Brown wrote:
Nope account not hacked.
It's little things like that where you sort the really good players from the average, now Gilroy going forward in a broken type game is first class but when under pressure in defence he can take too long to think so in a 2 on 1 where he was as tall or taller than the other two his best option was to try and claim the ball, If he jumped and missed then fine he tried the correct option but when he tried to take the man that was not going to work so wrong option to start with, it's little things like that which make coaches decide how good or how bad you are and it's the overall package that is more important than some moments of brilliance.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

NEWPORT Gwent Dragons have been given an unexpected boost for their RaboDirect Pro12 clash with unbeaten European heavyweights Ulster after getting in a muddle about their dates.

The region believed that they would be without influential number eight Toby Faletau for Friday’s encounter at Rodney Parade.

With Wales heading for a training camp in Poland ahead of the autumn Tests this weekend, the Dragons expected to be without the 21-year-old.

After last Saturday’s Amlin Challenge Cup defeat to Bayonne head coach Darren Edwards spoke about the importance of the rest of the squad stepping in to fill the sizeable hole left by Faletau.

However, that challenge can wait until next week’s trip to Glasgow after the 17-times capped forward was given the green light to don the number 8 jersey against Ulster.

“We got our days mixed up if I am honest,” admitted Dragons director of rugby Robert Beale.

“There is a 13-day rule in terms of Wales players being released for international duty.

“Working back from November 10 takes us to Sunday so Toby is fit and he is available for selection.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best