Digitalization and me tellies - can u help?

Use this forum for anything related to the UAFC website or this messageboard.

Moderator: Moderators

Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Digitalization and me tellies - can u help?

Post by Rooster »

Has anyone found RTE yet on the new setup ?
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Rooster wrote:Has anyone found RTE yet on the new setup ?

I don't have an HD tuner, so haven't tried.

I'm assuming you need HD for all RTE signals, not just ones originating in NI?
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
pwrmoore
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by pwrmoore »

BR wrote:

I actually read ther wee booklet yesterday :shock: (not the Ulster scots version) and yes you need an HD receiver to be able to process the RTE signals even those coming from the NI based transmitters.
Paul.

C'mon Ulsterrrrrrrrr! :red:
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

pwrmoore wrote:
BR wrote:

I actually read ther wee booklet yesterday :shock: (not the Ulster scots version) and yes you need an HD receiver to be able to process the RTE signals even those coming from the NI based transmitters.
Aye - but it was the ones coming from the RoI transmitters that I wanted clarification on.
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

BR wrote:
pwrmoore wrote:
BR wrote:

Aye - but it was the ones coming from the RoI transmitters that I wanted clarification on.
Seems to be both then BR as I appear just to have a non HD tuner in my HD tv, don't really care to be honest as have Sky anyway, was just curious.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Post by ColinM »

Channel 51-53 on the Freeview HD tuner
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Yip - just ran through an auto-tune with 'ireland' selected, and it just gave me the same channels as UK (but maybe in a different order), and no sign of RTE, etc. I think they are on the 'HD' format both North and South.

Rooster, the TV retailers should be sued for the way they have been selling 'Full HD' TVs for the last lot of years, but only very few have had HD tuners in them.
www.stoutboys.co.uk
ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Post by ColinM »

I looked out for a Freeview HD tuner when I bought my telly two yrs ago, but only because I knew what was coming and dont want to pay £10 a month for Sky HD.

The reality is though that if I were to stop using Sky, and go Freeview, I'd want some sort of recording box anyway so thats the opportunity to 'upgrade'
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

BBC and UTV had the same (bloody awful!) output last night! Great having digital so much more choice :lol:
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

BR wrote:Yip - just ran through an auto-tune with 'ireland' selected, and it just gave me the same channels as UK (but maybe in a different order), and no sign of RTE, etc. I think they are on the 'HD' format both North and South.

Rooster, the TV retailers should be sued for the way they have been selling 'Full HD' TVs for the last lot of years, but only very few have had HD tuners in them.
To be honest I didn't even know mine had a Freeview tuner built in and had no interest either as we were connecting it to Sky and I did buy an old model, if I had bought the latest it would have cost more but I would have had one with the HD tuner, bigger better screen v newer tuner was a no brainer in my situation .
Rory Best
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

I have RTE, but they are 830-833
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Rooster wrote:
BR wrote:Yip - just ran through an auto-tune with 'ireland' selected, and it just gave me the same channels as UK (but maybe in a different order), and no sign of RTE, etc. I think they are on the 'HD' format both North and South.

To be honest I didn't even know mine had a Freeview tuner built in and had no interest either as we were connecting it to Sky and I did buy an old model, if I had bought the latest it would have cost more but I would have had one with the HD tuner, bigger better screen v newer tuner was a no brainer in my situation .
In the same boat myself - just needed an HD 'monitor' to plug into my sky box, but I'm looking to replace some of the wee portables in the house, and I'm not impressed with the selection available at the low end of the market.
www.stoutboys.co.uk
ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Post by ColinM »

Rooster wrote:

Comes back to my point, that what the TV has built in doesnt matter much. If you left Sky you would 99% buy a Freeview + box for recording, and of course it has its own tuners.
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

ColinM wrote:
Comes back to my point, that what the TV has built in doesnt matter much. If you left Sky you would 99% buy a Freeview + box for recording, and of course it has its own tuners.
Except what you'd really want is a Freeview HD + box. I'm happy with Sky on my big TV, it's the wee TVs that I want freeview on.
www.stoutboys.co.uk
ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Post by ColinM »

BR wrote:
ColinM wrote:
Except what you'd really want is a Freeview HD + box. I'm happy with Sky on my big TV, it's the wee TVs that I want freeview on.
Or a Freeview+ HD box >EW

Think you'll need to join HWM in trying to befriend old codgers and getting their free digiboxes