Ulster Ravens vs Bridgend Ravens

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Re: Ulster Ravens vs Bridgend Ravens

Post by mikerob »

Realistically, what are the chances of Cochrane overtaking Bowe, Trimble and Gilroy in a HEC team? Pretty slim, unless there are lots of injuries.

He is really battling it out to be fourth choice winger with Allen, and Allen is 2 years younger and can play at centre as well.

If he takes the chance and scores a bucketload, great. But its been mentioned already that he has already been leapfrogged by younger players a couple of times, and if there is another up-and-coming academy prospect 4 or 5 years younger, UR will likely favour them as well.
colwynvet
Novice

Post by colwynvet »

I remember seeing Cochrane playing for the Ireland under 20s (21s?) and thought he was gonna be the next "big thing". That seems like years ago!
You don't know! You weren't there!
fuzzylogic
Lord Chancellor

Post by fuzzylogic »

by gannonman » Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:06 pm

You are speaking for about 5 people who have commented on this page.
Indeed I am, because your first post talked about the people above you agreeing with your post... (which they didnt)

You wern't talking about what has been said at other time in other threads ... and neither was I.
Mary had a little lamb . . .
darkside lightside
Lord Chancellor

Post by darkside lightside »

mikerob wrote:Realistically, what are the chances of Cochrane overtaking Bowe, Trimble and Gilroy in a HEC team? Pretty slim, unless there are lots of injuries.

He is really battling it out to be fourth choice winger with Allen, and Allen is 2 years younger and can play at centre as well.

If he takes the chance and scores a bucketload, great. But its been mentioned already that he has already been leapfrogged by younger players a couple of times, and if there is another up-and-coming academy prospect 4 or 5 years younger, UR will likely favour them as well.
I think in fairness to Cochrane, and gannonman can correct me if I'm wrong, I think he has had a number of long-term injuries which has kept him out for large parts of a couple of seasons - which undoubtedly held back his progress through the academy. Every time I've seen him I must say I've been impressed, he is good at slipping contact, or taking it on his terms, he's quick, and he's a heck of a finisher.

I think that before any of us have seen much of any given player, it's hard to imagine him overtaking the incumbent - it appears unlikely in advance, but very obvious and logical in hindsight. Over the last few years, while he has been in the academy, Ulster have released back 3 players Seymour, McCrea, Smith, McIlwaine, McKenzie and Quinn - but they've kept him on and given him a development contract, so they must see something in him..
[The Artist Formerly Known as Caolan]

On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero - Tyler Durden
Tighty
Initiate

Post by Tighty »

darkside lightside wrote:
mikerob wrote:Realistically, what are the chances of Cochrane overtaking Bowe, Trimble and Gilroy in a HEC team? Pretty slim, unless there are lots of injuries.

I think in fairness to Cochrane, and gannonman can correct me if I'm wrong, I think he has had a number of long-term injuries which has kept him out for large parts of a couple of seasons - which undoubtedly held back his progress through the academy. Every time I've seen him I must say I've been impressed, he is good at slipping contact, or taking it on his terms, he's quick, and he's a heck of a finisher.

I think that before any of us have seen much of any given player, it's hard to imagine him overtaking the incumbent - it appears unlikely in advance, but very obvious and logical in hindsight. Over the last few years, while he has been in the academy, Ulster have released back 3 players Seymour, McCrea, Smith, McIlwaine, McKenzie and Quinn - but they've kept him on and given him a development contract, so they must see something in him..

Who is the ''Quinn'' who was either in the Academy or on a contract with Ulster and was released ?
fuzzylogic
Lord Chancellor

Post by fuzzylogic »

by darkside lightside » Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:27 pm

Ulster have released back 3 players Seymour, McCrea, Smith, McIlwaine, McKenzie and Quinn
Of the above 6 players.

Seymore left for a full contract in Scotland rather than take a one year extension here

McCrea was offered a poor deal here and advised to go to Connacht

Smith again was offered a contract here, but was offered a better one in Wales and advised to take it

McIlwaine was offered an extension to his academy contract but chose to seek out first team rugby in England

McKenzie, I have no idea

Quinn - Im not sure anyone here has ever heard of him
scrum5
Lord Chancellor

Post by scrum5 »

I assume he is talking about Chris Quinn, think he now plays for hinch
In memory of Nevin Spence 1990- 15th Sept. 2012
Axel..... 30 October 1973 - 16 October 2016
Pedrie Wannenburg. 2 January 1981 - 22 April 2022.
ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Post by ColinM »

McKenzie was released in the middle of a season a few years back to go to I think Exeter when they were in the championship.

At the time Jonny Shiels had started to be selected ahead of him
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Paul McKenzie? Played at Dungannon last season now player/coach at Donaghadee?
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Post by ColinM »

UlsterNo9 wrote:Paul McKenzie? Played at Dungannon last season now player/coach at Donaghadee?

Yep
fuzzylogic
Lord Chancellor

Post by fuzzylogic »

Poor old gannonman..... Left the board at the same time as Cochrane left UR. :lol: