Who was the Ulster MOTM against Saints?

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Who was your Ulster MOTM against Saints?

J Payne
38%
T Bowe
2%
D Cave
3%
P Wallace
16%
A Trimble
7%
P Jackson
No votes
R Pienaar
2%
T Court
3%
R Best
7%
J Afoa
11%
J Muller
No votes
D Tuohy
No votes
I Henderson
No votes
C Henry
5%
R Wilson
2%
N Brady
3%
C Black
No votes
R Lutton
No votes
R Diack
No votes
N Williams
No votes
P Marshall
2%
L Marshall
No votes
C Gilroy
No votes

Total votes: 61

DirtyRucker
Novice

Re: Who was the Ulster MOTM against Saints?

Post by DirtyRucker »

Nearly impossible to pick just one! Payne, Wallace, Trimble, ruan, afoa and henry all played out of their skins but I went for Rory. Darts still need a little practice but his dogged defence and scrummaging lasted the full 80mins and to keep his cool with that little b*****d Hartley shows what a true professional he is. Bring on next week!
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

I am not going to vote, the request for 20 votes was about right.

The game reminded me of an Ireland V England game in 1993 and slaughtered the team that was to supply the vast bulk of that years Lions tourist 17-3. Like us tonight Ireland tore into England and crunched them all over the pitch.

Getting to the point, Mick Doyle was summing up the game on RTE & came out with a couple of classics. He likened the game to bacon & egg, the hen (England) was involved but the pig (Ireland) was committed. He went on to say how rare it is to see a whole team playing pretty much to its potential both as individuals & a team - it was he said " like 80 minutes of a rugby orgasm"

Nobody was outstanding because everyone was outstanding. Everywhere you looked was an Ulsterman do the right thing, either with a pile of class or wrecking a Saint.
Last edited by BaggyTrousers on Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
interlooter
Warrior Chief

Post by interlooter »

Rory was superb around the park, tackled like a lion let loose on a herd of not very bright wildebeest, but loses points for 2 overthrows and 1 not straight, but match fitness and time in the barn will fix that.

The paddy Wallace triplets all played well :lol: I swear there was more than one of him on the pitch at certain times. He smashed the saints backs so many times they'll be having nightmares about him 'til next weekend,
and then he'll do it to them again >threaten
Done for 2? Very questionable forward passes that could have been let go and showed his class in all departments

But just pipped to my MOM by jared (was that gangnam style try celebration?) Payne - we seriously need a good nickname for him chaps.
He embarrassed the much vaunted England fullback, foden, on every encounter
he looked like he was in his silk dressing gown, pipe and slippers whilst reclined on his Chippendale chaise sipping bollinger
Read the game and opportunities like he could control time - he'll have to talk to that Norman Einstein chap
And only gets 99.9% as he did actually slip at one point, but I'm blaming the saints ground staff for that one :D
if a pig loses it's voice, is it disgruntled?
mid ulster maestro
Warrior Chief

Post by mid ulster maestro »

Hey Looter how about 'Extreme' or 'The Agoniser'. Answers on a postcard to..............
Mum :roll:
When the bottom has fallen out of your world.
Take Enos and let the world fall out of your bottom!
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

He needs to be wearing the pink shirt for that nonsense.....he's not a footballer.
Lurgan Lad
Warrior Chief

Post by Lurgan Lad »

Went for Payne but the front row were exceptional, as were the centres. It is an absolute sin how Darcy has played so many games for Ireland and Wallace so few.
Thelaw
Steward

Post by Thelaw »

A mention to Tuohy for catching a pass he never expected to get and have such a surprised look on his face when he scored

Also was that a dance from Payne after scoring "Gangham Style" >crazy1

great play from all the lads a full team performance for the 80 - Roll on next week and see if we can be nice to Mr Hartley before Rory gives him a kick up the Brennan
Dura lex sed lex
ardsrugbyards
Initiate

Post by ardsrugbyards »

very hard to pick 1, Afoa, Best and Henry played their hearts out can even add big Court to that list (and i'm not a big fan) Cave and Wallace fantastic but Jared Payne what a signing he was, when he is IQ he has to be in with a shout for the next RWC

AND

Big Nick was supper sub, he came off the bench like a bull in a rodeo (scary for anyone not in a white shirt)
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

interlooter wrote:But just pipped to my MOM by jared (was that gangnam style try celebration?) Payne - we seriously need a good nickname for him chaps.
He embarrassed the much vaunted England fullback, foden, on every encounter
he looked like he was in his silk dressing gown, pipe and slippers whilst reclined on his Chippendale chaise sipping bollinger
Read the game and opportunities like he could control time - he'll have to talk to that Norman Einstein chap
And only gets 99.9% as he did actually slip at one point, but I'm blaming the saints ground staff for that one :D
Some may not like that Looter but I very much do, after all
marvin.jpg
marvin.jpg (8.54 KiB) Viewed 1110 times
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
TriGav
Novice

Post by TriGav »

John Afoa; The King (of Payne) orchestrated it from the back but the win was build on negating the Saints much vaunted (and now obliterated by us) front row. While this was a collective effort (and Tom Court magnificent too, Rory looses a point or two for wayward darts at the end, but I think that was due to lack of clarity at line out, which shows how much we will miss the skipper in coming months unfortunately), but back to my original point, John Afoa, integral in screwing his man into the turf and all the time a massive presence around the park, making tackle after tackle. Immense
Please do not distrurb Mr Pienaar - he is operating in his bubble of calm
chrisc1981
Novice

Post by chrisc1981 »

Has to be Payne he done everything right and made a huge difference last nite be have to agree there could have been another 3 or 4 who could have got it
scrum5
Lord Chancellor

Post by scrum5 »

If anyone had any doubts about " forwards win games, the backs by how many" it should have been dispelled by last night's performance, the pack to a man were outstanding...Big John Afoa MOTM by a country mile but would have gladly gave the award to anyone else in the pack :salut: :salut: :salut:
In memory of Nevin Spence 1990- 15th Sept. 2012
Axel..... 30 October 1973 - 16 October 2016
Pedrie Wannenburg. 2 January 1981 - 22 April 2022.
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

How to choose.

Jarred - for simply oozing class throughout

Afoa - Looked absolutely spent after about 60 odd minutes (think he was actually) but what a performance. Am a massive fan of what he has brought to Ulster and anyone who questioned his performances earlier in the season got their answer last night

Andy T - played like a man possessed and for me epitomised the intensity Ulster brought to the game.For me this was on a par with his performance at Ravers against the Tigers last season, albeit a different kind of performance.

+ so many others of course.
Scranner
Warrior

Post by Scranner »

Voted for Trimble because I thought he was immense -especially given the Ireland selection issues. But really it could have been almost any of the XV.
STATE PRO VIRIS ULTONIAE
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

Given how difficult it is to choose after that performance, maybe as a compromise we should give to Maaark, for getting all the selection calls and game plan spot on. :cheers: