Celtic League Preview.

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

colinh wrote:
Sorry Colin - I don't follow that.

Are you saying that the O's will not take the CL seriously, because they are almost sure to get one of the 3 welsh HEC berths? And that they will then be able to concentrate on the lucrative AW cup?

How has the change in Irish qualifying criteria changed that?
Neither ............. There may be an arguement that the Powergen could be taken seriously by the Premiership sides who are mid table and not in danger of relegation and promotion. It could be abetter competition than many of us are giving it credit for.
Well, I never thought there was anything wrong with it, but surely the introduction of 4 teams who have no qualifying interest (although they do have a financial interest) isn't going to strengthen the competition. If anything it will weaken it.
colinh
Lord Chancellor

Post by colinh »

You may be correct BR. But just a few thoughts on how it could go. I have amended the arlier post which you may like to reread.

Colin :twisted:
Romeo47 Alpha 52
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

colinh wrote:
They certainly look like the side to beat on paper, and I think I'm pretty happy that we will be seeing them visit without their internationals.
Well I will not be glad to see the Os come here without GH et al.
That's why I say 'I think I am happy..'! Normaly I would have agreed with you, but the more I think about the potential dominance of this O's team, the more I'll be happy to take points off them with whatever advantage we can get.

Until HEC qualification rests solely with league positions in the CL and there is a big sponsor there will never be a truely competitive CL. We may be closer to a sponsor but we are a long way from the CL being the sole route into Europe. By that I mean that the first 7 or 8 teams from whatever Union will qualify. Realistically I do not see that happening.
If it were to happen (and I agree it is very unlikely) - I cannot see why the CL could justify having any more than the 6 births (Ulster in ECC!).
colinh
Lord Chancellor

Post by colinh »

And points mean prizes ...... I d still prefer us to beat a full strength Os. We have nothing to fear.

Colin :twisted:
Romeo47 Alpha 52