Positives and negatives: Ulster V Castres

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

Positives and negatives: Ulster V Castres

Post by againstthehead »

positives
- first win in france - AT LAST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
- 5 wins in the group and a realistic shout of a home quarter!
- in terms of the game the main positive was the scrum which was incredible. I'm not sure how many penalties we won but we could have got another couple with a different ref. Incredibly dominent scrum.
- to win that game with no Muller, Ferris, Dan, Jared, Bowe or Williams was a tremendous effort. Missing major talent, not playing well and we still sneak it away from home. Amazing result considering the performance really.
- thought Henry did well, along with the props. Gilroy put in some outstanding kicks from FB but apart from that, few players stood out.
- did I say we won in France?

Negatives
- Lineout. Reminded me of Zebre away. That was hectic. maybe pedrie did a job on us? Certainly Castres competed really well.
- Best had a poor day with the darts. We were camped on their 5 m line early on and the crooked dart really killed us. He is suspect to that....
- Ruan didn't work at 10. At least we now know. Thought beagle did well though.
- lot of slipped/missed tackles but scrambling defence did really well to hold out on occasions
- thought the rush defence was good in the first half but we backed off in the second.

Overall, a poor game in terms of rugby but nail-biting stuff for the Ulster die-hards. Can't believe we sneaked it!!!! Time to enjoy the rest of the games this weekend the rest up for the quarter finals - yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :fleg: :fleg: :fleg: :fleg: :fleg: :fleg: :fleg: :fleg: :fleg: :fleg: :fleg: :fleg: :fleg: :fleg: :fleg: :fleg: :fleg: :fleg:
Climb up onto the top of your house and start screaming: 'stand up for the Ulstermen, stand.......'
HammerTime
Warrior Assassin

Re: Positives and negatives: Ulster V Castres

Post by HammerTime »

+
The win.
Craig Gilroy at fullback.
Another monkey off our backs.
-
Everything else.
breakdown
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by breakdown »

Yeah I thought Gilroy was brilliant at 15, must have been taking kicking lessons from Payne
Chris Henry is superhuman... I think he's half cyborg
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

HammerTime wrote:+
The win.
Craig Gilroy at fullback.
Another monkey off our backs.
-
Everything else.

There's no monkeys left now :cheers:
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Scholar
Initiate

Post by Scholar »

Here's one! But at least he conceded he was wrong.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (155.93 KiB) Viewed 2272 times
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

+ HEC posted on FB that we have a home QF

- They will have to delete that post
Lurgan Lad
Warrior Chief

Post by Lurgan Lad »

Horrible match but without a doubt the biggest positive is finally a win in France, such a great monkey off the back and maybe not many monkeys left. Castres were very average, much worse that I expected tbh, the atmosphere didn't appear that intimidating either. Rory's darts were awful too, needs more gametime. Injury for Roger too, not sure if it was hamstring or foot. On the positives Gilroy was great, Henry too. After that only the scrum and maybe the backs making breaks but not finishing them only other positive.
Thelaw
Steward

Post by Thelaw »

+ we won in France
Our scrum ruled.
Henry deserved huge pat on back for saving our win.
Diack moved to 8 and played well.
Hendo came on and looked good. Faded second half though.
Paddy Jackson- I am a big fan of young Percey. I thought he should have started. Good line breaks go forward ball and tackles every thing. Let us never listen to rte again

- st pinear at 10. See above. He didn't want to be there. And it showed. Let us never speak of this again.
Rory- best in the world in the loose and the scrum. But dear god the lineout sucked. Not all on him.
McComb. Did very little. No jumps in lineout. Just a shirt filler. Disapointed because I like the big fella. Though he would take his chance and didn't
Wilson. Injured early so don't want to be too critical but there is just no....passion I think is the word I want.

beagle- didn't really get a chance. Not his fault.
Owens- really not a fan. Scrum destroyed them. But constantly ignored them standing up. Called ulster back 4 yards from their line ulster going forward for a penalty to ... ulster. Seriously wtf. Not a fan of his. Never have been
Sky pundits. Nuff said

Big mention to our travelling fans. Big plus hearing you drown out the french. Love the stripey suit that man. :fleg:
Dura lex sed lex
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Is there a better backrow forward in Ireland than Chris Henry at the moment? I'll say no.
Big-al
Lord Chancellor

Post by Big-al »

Sean O'Brien is pretty good.
ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Post by ColinM »

Who is this Pinnar the commentator was watching?
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Big-al wrote:Sean O'Brien is pretty good.
He is. He can fill in at 6 until Fez is fit.
Wee Woman
Lord Chancellor

Post by Wee Woman »

big mervyn wrote:There's no monkeys left now :cheers:
Oh yes there is, a win against Leinster in Dublin will be the cherry on the cake.

Then the monkey can properly feck off :)
tommyblue
Novice

Post by tommyblue »

ColinM wrote:Who is this Pinnar the commentator was watching?

christ the commentry was bad-dewi morris is good in the studio but not in the commentry box. Real cringeworthy stuff
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Thelaw wrote:Owens- really not a fan. Scrum destroyed them. But constantly ignored them standing up. Called ulster back 4 yards from their line ulster going forward for a penalty to ... ulster. Seriously wtf. Not a fan of his. Never have been
Sky pundits. Nuff said
That was a mess, then he warns no more to their prop or bin and several penaltys later says same again so they then subbed him, plus why was he shouting for us to use the ball when it was still in and our scrum going forward, those should have been more penaltys?
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best