ERC player of the year shortlist

Join in the craic, and support yer team here!

Moderator: Moderators

mea97mb
Squire

ERC player of the year shortlist

Post by mea97mb »

Following the conclusion of the pool stages of the Heineken Cup and the Amlin Challenge Cup, ERC, the governing body of European club rugby's two tournaments, has announced the longlist for the prestigious ERC European Player of the Year 2013 award.

Selected by a distinguished panel of rugby experts, the longlist for one of the most prized individual accolades in the game includes 15 outstanding players from the 44 clubs competing in the 2012/13 tournaments.
The beginning of the search to select a successor to Leinster Rugby's Rob Kearney, who won the ERC European Player of the Year award last season, was based on player performances during the pool stages of the Heineken Cup and the Amlin Challenge Cup.

Wesley Fofana of ASM Clermont Auvergne, the Harlequins' full back, Mike Brown, Owen Farrell of Saracens and Ulster Rugby's Ruan Pienaar who made last year's longlist, are included again.

The Judging Panel will also have the option to consider additional players who make major contributions during the knockout stages of both tournaments before announcing a five-man shortlist following the semi-finals with the overall winner named directly after the ERC European club finals in Dublin next May.

In addition to the decision of the panel, the 44 clubs in the Heineken Cup and the Amlin Challenge Cup will have the opportunity to vote for contenders nominated on the ERC European Player of the Year 2013 shortlist while supporters can also have their say on Twitter using #ERCPlayer2013, and on the Heineken Cup and Amlin Challenge Cup Facebook pages.

The Judging Panel for this season's award is: Stuart Barnes (Sky Sports), Will Greenwood (Daily Telegraph, World Cup winner and two-time Challenge Cup winner), Stephen Jones (Rugby Correspondent, Sunday Times), Emmanuel Massicard (Editor, Midi Olympique) and Gerry Thornley (Rugby Correspondent, Irish Times).

ERC European Player of the Year 2013 Longlist
(based on performances in the pool stages)

Steffon Armitage (Toulon)
Rory Best (Ulster Rugby)
Julien Bonnaire (ASM Clermont Auvergne)
Mike Brown (Harlequins)
Dan Cole (Leicester Tigers)
Owen Farrell (Saracens)
Wesley Fofana (ASM Clermont Auvergne)
Mamuka Gorgodze (Montpellier)
Charlie Hodgson ((Saracens)
James Johnston (Harlequins)
Joe Launchbury (London Wasps)
Morgan Parra (ASM Clermont Auvergne)
Geoff Parling (Leicester Tigers)
Ruan Pienaar (Ulster Rugby)
Simon Zebo (Munster Rugby) :banghead:

ERC European Player of the Year 2013 longlist formguide

Steffon Armitage - since his move to Toulon has developed into one of the most feared opensides in the European game. Hugely impressive in the Cote d'Azur club's run to the Heineken Cup quarter-finals and appeared in all six pool matches making four try assists, the joint highest in the tournament.

Rory Best - the heartbeat of Ulster who are looking to go one better than last season in the Heineken Cup. Intelligent, combative and consistent. Quite simply one of the most complete hookers in rugby. Only two other hookers have delivered more successful lineout throws than Best (64) this season.

Julien Bonnaire - still one of Europe's most outstanding back rows at the age of 34. May be retired from international rugby, but has been brilliant in a series of strong Clermont pool stage performances making 69 tackles this season, only three other men have made more.

Mike Brown - a rock under the high ball and dynamic going forward in all six pool games among the top ten metre makers., Brown has been superb yet again as unbeaten Harlequins target another European title.

Dan Cole - a central cog of the Tigers' powerful forward force in the Pool stage having locked down the number 3 jersey in a very competitive squad. Completed 29/33 tackles in the Pool campaign.

Owen Farrell - mature way beyond his years at 21, Farrell has been a key figure yet again this season for Saracens and his magnificent haul of 10 penalties in the vital away Round 5 game against Racing Metro is now a tournament record.
Kicked 25 goals in the pool stages and was the second top points scorer (75)

Wesley Fofana - the coming midfield player in world rugby. Blessed with outrageous acceleration, Fofana picks some glorious lines as part of a hugely talented Clermont back division. Four tries in five pool appearances and leading player in the Amlin Opta Index pre Round 6.

Mamuka Gorgodze - quite literally a massive influence on Montpellier's advance to the last eight of the Heineken Cup this season. Muscular and painfully direct, Gorgodze appeared in five pool matches and contributed 15 points.

Charlie Hodgson - A cerebral playmaker at No 10. A shrewd tactician with an eye for the gap, he has contributed 45 points in the pool stage including two tries and four try assists.

James Johnston - under Harlequins' expert guidance, the Samoan international has become a top-class tight head. The immovable object in the Pool 3 winners' scrum, Johnston played in five Heineken Cup games this season.

Joe Launchbury - one of the rising stars in Europe, Launchbury's outstanding form for England last autumn has been replicated during London Wasps' progress into the Amlin Challenge Cup quarter-finals.

Morgan Parra - the conductor of Clermont's pitch-perfect orchestra. Calls the shots for his side in the tradition of dominant French No 9s and the leading scorer in the Heineken Cup pool stage with 90 points from six matches.

Geoff Parling - Leicester Tigers have produced a number of half-decent second rows in their history, and Parling now fully deserves a mention among the best. Impressive organiser, strong line-out presence and an ever-present in the Heineken Cup this season. Took 34 lineout catches in the pool stages, more than any other player

Ruan Pienaar - there are few half-backs in world rugby who appear to have as much time as the talented South African. More effective at No 10 than scrum half, he has been superb in every facet for Ulster. Only four players produced more kicks in play than Pienaar (56) in the pool stage.

Simon Zebo - a coiled spring of exuberant talent. The hugely promising Zebo made his European mark last season with a hat-trick in Round 6 of the Heineken Cup against Northampton Saints and he repeated the feat last weekend to ensure Munster's qualification. Only two other players have score more tries in the Heineken Cup.
http://www.ercrugby.com/eng/news/20445.php
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: ERC player of the year shortlist

Post by Rooster »

For a start I would have had Chris Henry in there instead of Rory Best as for Zebo wtf :scratch:
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Ringer
Novice

Post by Ringer »

mea97mb wrote:
Ruan Pienaar - there are few half-backs in world rugby who appear to have as much time as the talented South African. More effective at No 10 than scrum half, he has been superb in every facet for Ulster. Only four players produced more kicks in play than Pienaar (56) in the pool stage.
http://www.ercrugby.com/eng/news/20445.php
I know they arent on the judging panel but did Shane Horgan and Donal Lenihan write the article?

Henry or Court more deserving of inclusion than Rory I'd venture
SDK
Novice

Post by SDK »

Did they watch the match on Saturday?
ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Post by ColinM »

>seeya
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

A nonsense, Chris Henry has been the best player in the tournament by a country mile.
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
pip14
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by pip14 »

tbh cant believe Rory is there....this season has been is poorest in years IMO...

if any Ulster players deserve to be there on form its

Court
Henry
Gilroy
You've got to get your first tackle in early, even if it's late.
Cornerfleg
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cornerfleg »

Jackie Brown wrote:A nonsense, Chris Henry has been the best player in the tournament by a country mile.

Amen ....
Always ask yourself, "What would Big Rodney do"... And every time the answer is... "Eat It"
bazzaj

Post by bazzaj »

I think people missed the bit where it said it based on pool stages alone, where I have got to be honest Pieenar would not be considered on that evidence alone and Parra would be prefered over the 6 games.
I of course think that RP is a better player.
Quite how Court,Henry or Afoa are not considered is beyond me.
For me though I couldn`t look beyond a Clermont player as they have been the outstanding team and performers.
Wee Woman
Lord Chancellor

Post by Wee Woman »

Nailed on for Farrell or Armitage, watch this space.

And I agree Christ Henry should def be on that list.
ruckover
Lord Chancellor

Post by ruckover »

Henry's exclusion is ridiculous.
You haven't seen me at my best yet. Let's be honest, you probably never will.
Wee Woman
Lord Chancellor

Post by Wee Woman »

Wee Woman wrote:Nailed on for Farrell or Armitage, watch this space.

And I agree Christ Henry should def be on that list.
Christ Henry, a new nickname is born LOL.
ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Post by ColinM »

pip14 wrote:tbh cant believe Rory is there....this season has been is poorest in years IMO...

if any Ulster players deserve to be there on form its

Court
Henry
Gilroy

Rory is only the top turnover winner in the ERC. Check out his scrummaging, he and angry Tom have been ripping through front rows for fun. Our lineout struggles without Muller no matter who throws.
Hans Indaruck
Squire

Post by Hans Indaruck »

he and angry Tom have been ripping through front rows for fun. .[/quote][/quote]

Considerably aided and abetted by one Ioane Fitu Afoa who is noticably absent from this list!!
Hope is not a strategy.
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

Jackie Brown wrote:A nonsense, Chris Henry has been the best player in the tournament by a country mile.
Good job you've obviously watched every game in both competitions to give us that assessment Jackie....