Sexton confirmed as off to France

Join in the craic, and support yer team here!

Moderator: Moderators

mea97mb
Squire

Sexton confirmed as off to France

Post by mea97mb »

IRFU Statement On Jonathan Sexton Contract

The Irish Rugby Football Union has been informed that Johnny Sexton will not be renewing his contract to remain playing full time in Ireland from the end of this season.
Philip Browne, IRFU Chief Executive said: "We are very disappointed, as we know the Irish rugby public will be, that Johnny Sexton will not be playing his rugby full time in Ireland from next season. Johnny is a major talent and his full time presence in Ireland will be missed, particularly by Leinster.
"We wish Johnny continued success with his career and he will receive all the support he needs over the next number of weeks in what we know was a very difficult decision for him.

"While we remained in the fight right up until the last possible moment to keep Johnny in Ireland with a very strong offer, ultimately, following negotiations with the player's agent, we had no option but to take the decision that it would not be in the best interest of Irish rugby to chase the reported financial incentives being offered.

"The IRFU has made a commitment to, and been largely successful in, keeping as many Irish players as possible playing full time in Ireland. However, we have always recognised that some of our players will be targeted by overseas clubs with offers which, quite simply, are not within our orbit.

"While Johnny has made the decision to move on to a new club, the IRFU is fully committed, together with the provinces, to maintaining its programme of nurturing and retaining Irish rugby talent. We feel that the benefits of the careful and considered management of those players will allow us to maintain this policy."

Leinster Coach Joe Schmidt said, "Naturally, I'm disappointed. I've really enjoyed Johnny's input over the last few years and he has added tremendous value to the Leinster environment both on and off the field. The offer he has received is exceptional, even by French standards, but I know that it was still a tough decision for him."
http://www.irishrugby.ie/news/28190.php
Thelaw
Steward

Re: Sexton confirmed as off to France

Post by Thelaw »

It was always coming and fair play to him for taking the opportunity whilst it was there. He may be the first but he will not be the last.
Dura lex sed lex
damianmcr
Lord Chancellor

Post by damianmcr »

Thats a massive blow for Leinster.
RuPi
Initiate

Post by RuPi »

Madigan is really going to have to step up to the mark now. Can't blame the lad for going, it is a short career and when ridiculolus money is being mentioned he has to make the most of it especially when he realises Ireland will still select him.
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

Glad the IRFU called his bluff. They need to be taking this as his last six nations for a while, once he's overseas he should be cut a drift otherwise it will set a scary precedent. In Madigan, Jackson and Keatley we have an exciting young crop of Outhalves who could rise to the challenge, the cupboard isn't as bare as it was 2 or 3 seasons ago.

If money is more important to him, good luck.
Last edited by Jackie Brown on Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
AyeYerMa
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by AyeYerMa »

If it was just a few k over the odds I'd be tempted to be snippy about love of country/province or something.

It's not, I'm not.

Bon chance, Johnny!
I came for my woman, he came with a razor blade,
Bound like us all for the ocean
pwrmoore
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by pwrmoore »

Jackie Brown wrote:Glad the IRFU called his bluff. They need to be taking this as his last six nations for a while, once he's overseas he should be cut a drift otherwise it will set a scary precedent. In Madigan, Jackson and Keatley we have an exciting young crop of Outhalves who could rise to the challenge, the cupboard isn't as bare as it was 2 or 3 seasons ago.

If money is more important to him, good luck.
+1 JB
Paul.

C'mon Ulsterrrrrrrrr! :red:
Dublin4
Warrior Assassin

Post by Dublin4 »

He is a pro and he has to look after his future.
You can't blame any player for that.
Ireland can still play him.
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

Dublin4 wrote:Ireland can still play him.
They can but they shouldn't
ruckover
Lord Chancellor

Post by ruckover »

Agree with Jackie - cut Sexton loose, send out a message to others. You don't want to play in Ireland, then you won't play for Ireland.

They won't drop him though. Firstly because he's our best 10 by miles. Secondly because they don't care about overseas players, otherwise they'd have dropped Bowe once he went to Ospreylia. Kidney won't have the guts.

Poor move for all concerned. Oh, except Sexton.
You haven't seen me at my best yet. Let's be honest, you probably never will.
pwrmoore
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by pwrmoore »

Dublin4 wrote:He is a pro and he has to look after his future.
You can't blame any player for that.
Ireland can still play him.
Certainly think that this is a good move for sexton financially and with a short career it's hard to blame any sportsman for chasing the money. However it is not as if he wasn't being well rewarded where he was and it shows that for him the money can buy out his loyalty to province and potentially is worth risking his ireland place for.

He was not forced to take the highest offer.

Others have made a different choice in similar situations.
Paul.

C'mon Ulsterrrrrrrrr! :red:
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

Bowe was different as he wasn't getting picked while he played in Ireland!

I'm sure Sexton was on big big money already at Leinster plus with his tax rebate as well. saying that, what else did he have to win at Leinster, the guy has 3 HC medals. Let him head off for a new challenge, but Ireland need to cut him loose as well.
ruckover
Lord Chancellor

Post by ruckover »

Jackie Brown wrote:Bowe was different as he wasn't getting picked while he played in Ireland!

I'm sure Sexton was on big big money already at Leinster plus with his tax rebate as well. saying that, what else did he have to win at Leinster, the guy has 3 HC medals. Let him head off for a new challenge, but Ireland need to cut him loose as well.
A Rabo medal :lol:
You haven't seen me at my best yet. Let's be honest, you probably never will.
mea97mb
Squire

Post by mea97mb »

Pretty sure I read somewhere that in order to get the tax break players have to have played in Ireland continuously for something like 15 years and then retire while also in Ireland. For Sexton he didn't get a professional contract until relatively late and as such don't think it was likely that he would get the tax break, therefore the decision for him to go to France was easier than for BOD or ROG etc.
Dublin4
Warrior Assassin

Post by Dublin4 »

"Cut him loose"?
You mean not play your best 10, probably the Lions Test 10, just because the IRFU are in a fit of pique? Pour encourager les autres?

That doesn't make any sense. The other countries would be laughing at us.