Sexton confirmed as off to France

Join in the craic, and support yer team here!

Moderator: Moderators

bazzaj

Re: Sexton confirmed as off to France

Post by bazzaj »

The policy of not selecting overseas players nearly even cost the New Zealand the world cup as Nick Evans or Luke McAlister were ignored and for that reason they were pressed to play virtual rookies at 10.
Understand why they have that policy as it is impossible to select european based players regularly but for us France isnt all that far away.
Sexton is that good that this should be a non issue.

I agree with ayeyermas above suggestion as well.
Lovely gesture.
Boutye
Initiate

Post by Boutye »

Fair play to him, Not one of us in any trade or profession, if they were offered double or treble their salary, would turn it down. For us in Ulster i see it as a win win situation, Our 10 gets more exposure and hopefully international reward, and one of our main rivals has lost their best player. :stir:
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Rocket wrote:FairPlay to johnny sexton. how could he not say yes good money, nice weather, young so a bit of travel, chance to play against some the best players in the world every week.

I just wonder where the French get the money from to cover all the superstar signings.

Although if they continue The French league is shaping up to be a pretty good sell to the world tv channels signing some of the worlds best players.
They get a fair old heap of cash for the Top14 from Tv coverage.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Hans Indaruck
Squire

Post by Hans Indaruck »

Any truth in the rumour than Leinster are in talks with Dan Carter??!!
Hope is not a strategy.
Damnevar
Novice

Post by Damnevar »

Hans Indaruck wrote:Any truth in the rumour than Leinster are in talks with Dan Carter??!!
Nope sure he's coming to Ulster! >EW
Neil F
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neil F »

BR wrote:To my memory, Bowe was dropped and probably not good enough to get his place back. The improvement which allowed him to secure his place was due to his move out of Ireland IMHO.
Not how I recall things. Bowe had been the best winger in Ireland for the whole season before he left. Seemed the bizarre selection of Brian Carney for the World Cup squad was the boot that Bowe needed to really drive on. O'Sullivan hadn't selecting him because O'Sullivan was O'Sullivan and the lizards that pulled the strings in his head would only allow him to put the same 15 names on the team sheet. As the 2007/2008 season went on, Bowe came to the fore with the national team, as well, although during the 6 Nations, I seem to recall he was helped by injury. He played six internationals, that year - apart from his World Cup warm-up appearance, they were consecutive appearances - Ireland's last three games in the 6 Nations and the two summer tour tests. This, to me, suggests that Bowe was coming to international prominence shortly before his departure, rather than having been dropped and only developing into an international option in Wales.
Gael
Steward

Post by Gael »

Jonny Cash!
All coddin aside, fair play to him, it has to be done. A man has to gather as many coins as he can. He owes Leinster and Irish Rugby nothing, treated poorly enough by the IRFU and Kidney by having an out of sorts Rawg breathing down his neck and getting a central contract quite late.
I pray that this will be a lesson to the IRFU and it doesn't start a trend.
There was never a guard nor a customs man, got his nose inside that transit van.
Dublin4
Warrior Assassin

Post by Dublin4 »

What's going on?
Thornley reports in this morning's Irish Times that Racing are essentially denying that they are signing Sexton.
Could he be going to a better club such as Clermont or Toulouse?
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Dublin4 wrote:What's going on?
Thornley reports in this morning's Irish Times that Racing are essentially denying that they are signing Sexton.
I think I read that the other Stade are splashing a bit of cash again. That said, Midi-ol is still reporting him going to Racing.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Could be then again French clubs have a transfer window which is not to some time in April so perhaps they just can't announce it officially though the bit I posted here last night is a denial by Racing, could be Clermont or who have Toulon to replace JW ?
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Rooster wrote:
Could be then again French clubs have a transfer window which is not to some time in April so perhaps they just can't announce it officially though the bit I posted here last night is a denial by Racing, could be Clermont or who have Toulon to replace JW ?

Aye, Jackman twatted that LNR have cracked down on clubs announcing transfers before April.
www.stoutboys.co.uk
ruckover
Lord Chancellor

Post by ruckover »

French clubs aren't allowed to announce they've signed players until their transfer window opens in March. They can drop hints etc but aren't officially allowed to announce it.
You haven't seen me at my best yet. Let's be honest, you probably never will.
rocky
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by rocky »

The thing that really upsets me about this is the way the English whine on and on and on about Irish clubs being able to spend a lot more money on players than they are because of the salary cap (which is true to a small extent) but never utter a word about the French, who, admittedly, also say they have a salary cap. It is not far off a million euro now, having gone up by 80K from last season.
Castres, who are seen as a less wealthy club, have a budget of over 16 million euro, almost three times ours (including the IRFU top-up for our marquee players). Yet they are blaming us for their action in pulling out of the Heineken.
The ERC needs to put a limit on the number of non-qualified players allowed by country. That would certainly put a big damper on Toulon and Clermont, for example. There is little doubt that it is possible to buy success, at least for a time, but they are taking it to ridiculous lengths.
As far as Sexton is concerned, it's his choice. Don't see why he shouldn't be selected as long as he is available for all the training camps, etc. The game is full of mercenaries, from international level to the Qualifying league. Loyalty is a dirty word now, in some quarters.
Bo***cks to Brexit
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

ERC has a limit of non EU players (anything else would be illegal under EU law)
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

BR wrote:ERC has a limit of non EU players (anything else would be illegal under EU law)
So the IRFU policy is breaking EU law ...