AIL FIXTURES

Join in the craic, and support yer team here!

Moderator: Moderators

gannonman
Steward

Re: AIL FIXTURES

Post by gannonman »

We really should have won yesterday. Played really well but just didn't have the cutting edge to play it out. Dominated them in most facets of the game. Ref had a very poor game especially at scrum time. Just some silly decisions and inexperience from some of the younger guys cost us. Gutted with the loss but plenty of encouragement to come from that performance. Get Jenkinson back soon and hopefully a couple of Ulster lads and I still believe we can stay clear of a relegation scrap.
When life gives you lemons - take them because hey... it's free lemons.
Kofi Annan
Lord Chancellor

Post by Kofi Annan »

McCloskey is by far the best player in the Dungannon team, Do not see him hanging about if he continues to play with some of the inadequate players around him, talking of inadequate, Ballymena were woeful on Saturday, time for Big John to move on.
“For the liespotter who knows how to listen well, the random words, sounds, and phrases in a person's speech are never as random as they seem. They offer a clear sightline into the liar's psyche.”
gannonman
Steward

Post by gannonman »

Kofi Annan wrote:McCloskey is by far the best player in the Dungannon team, Do not see him hanging about if he continues to play with some of the inadequate players around him, talking of inadequate, Ballymena were woeful on Saturday, time for Big John to move on.
Personally think McMahon is streets ahead of everyone else in the side but can see what you mean. Without those two we would not have a hope this season.
RuPi
Initiate

Post by RuPi »

Another loss for Dungannon although Ballymena got their first win with a BP win against Blackrock. What has happened to Malone, is that 4 losses on the bounce now? On the otherhand a great win for Quins.

Banbridge lost on the last play of the game down in Limerick but are still top by a point in 2A, City of Derry lost whilst Queens had a great win away to UCC. Rainey continue to top 2B, Inst scraped past Ards with a 1 point win and Armagh won at home to Navan.

Great to see 3 Ulster Clubs on top in 1B, 2A and 2B.
TheWonDon
Initiate

Post by TheWonDon »

Realise I’m a bit late to the party here, but had to share a few thoughts on Dungannon. I went to see them earlier on in the season against Ballymena in the leage and Rainey in the cup, both times I left staggered at how bad they had been. I play for a junior side and some of the play was worthy of what I’m used to on the field. Dungannons main plan seemed to be to give it to the big 8 (Timmy?) and hope he makes ground, which to his credit he does. He looks a bit more like a prop than a backrower mind, but he’s effective alright.

Against Ballymena some of the tackling, or lack thereoff, was embarrassing. Dungannon should have had the game wrapped up by halftime, but time and again they slid off Ballymena players, or missed them altogether.

Against Rainey it wasn’t much better, the lineout was an utter shambles. To see it fall apart as Paddy Johns stood on helpless was a strange sight indeed. Rainey were good value for their win that day, and it could’ve been by more but for a few iffy referee decisions.
McCloskey seems the only player of real quality they have. I see McGuckins career is over now as well. It’s a club in serious trouble.

As for this
gannonman wrote: We have a new man in the second row who is only playing because he got banned from his Gaelic football club.
Plunket McCallon is the man of whom you speak, he got banned at the end of November, it was reduced from 48 to 36 weeks, so he’d have been free to play again from the summer. To his credit he seems to have fitted into the rugby well. Both times I watched him play he was very impressive. He's a massive unit as well.
It is hard enough to remember my opinions, without also remembering my reasons for them
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Big win for Dungannon yesterday. 12-10 against fellow stragglers Bruff. With five of their remaining seven AIL fixtures at home this season I think it is favourably set up for them if they fight hard enough for their 1B status.

Having only just read previous comments I feel some around Paddy being the right man for the job extremely questionable and made from those not close enough to Dungannon rugby club to make an educated assumption.

Paddy a man with the best interests of Dungannon rugby club at heart stepped into the brink with little to no time to prepare for the new season after the resignation of Justin Fitzpatrick. A number of first team players moved on during the summer and Paddy being brought in at the last minute had little to no time to bring in any faces. Although left with an extremely committed squad, there is maybe a lack of quality in depth to cope with the demands of AIL rugby. Young men with little AIL experience have been blooded maybe a season or two early which will only serve them well in the future.

Paddy Johns keeps Dungannon up, it will be a credit to him and the charges he has taking to the pitch.

Harlequins Vs Ballynahinch this Friday 1st Feb night is where AIL rugby is at in Ulster. 1st vs 3rd in AIL 1B, a win for Ballynahinch would almost guarantee them 1A status next year, a win for Harlequins would make them serious promotion contenders.

After Malones great start to the season they seem to have gone a little wayward. Whats going on?

I think Ballymena are in real trouble, and always were going to be after Hinch robbed them of a number of key players pre season. Still Ballymenas loss seems to be Hinchs gain as they sit at the top of the pile.
BRING OUR BOYS HOME #BOBH
THROWN UNDER THE BUS AND EXILED 14/04/18
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

As for this
gannonman wrote: We have a new man in the second row who is only playing because he got banned from his Gaelic football club.
Plunket McCallon is the man of whom you speak, he got banned at the end of November, it was reduced from 48 to 36 weeks, so he’d have been free to play again from the summer. To his credit he seems to have fitted into the rugby well. Both times I watched him play he was very impressive. He's a massive unit as well.
Can only echo your sentiments on Big Plunky, a man who has become ever more popular since arriving at Dungannon rugby club, if only he had of started playing many years ago, a regret he will admit himself. Already with a deep understanding for team ethos and the dedication to training brought through from his playing days in another code he is learning the game at an impressive rate. Fair play to him.
TheSnapper
Novice

Post by TheSnapper »

A number of first team players moved on during the summer and Paddy being brought in at the last minute had little to no time to bring in any faces.
How many is " a number" 1, 2, 3, or 10 ? i can only think of 2, but i may be wrong
Available for weddings May to August only
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

TheSnapper wrote:
A number of first team players moved on during the summer and Paddy being brought in at the last minute had little to no time to bring in any faces.
How many is " a number" 1, 2, 3, or 10 ? i can only think of 2, but i may be wrong
Quite a considerable list Snapper, certainly more than two

Adam Duhig (returned to NZ), Paul McKenzie (player coach Donaghadee), Callum Threlfasll & Rowan Halsall (To England) Conor Gaston (L.Irish), Michael Lawton (Ballynahinch), Michael Kirkwood (Belfast Harlequins), Kieran Campbell (Ulster Branch coaching position / retired), Michael Rainey (Ballyclare), Stuart Lester (Armagh), Craig Miller (Australia)

You will also note Craig Gilroy and Paddy Jackson were playing week in week out for Dungannon at the start of last season.

Jason Bloomfield - season if not career ending injury. Of the contracted players Doyle played one game breaking his leg. Nelson has not played many more.

I'm sure there are more but cannot think at the moment.
dublane
Novice

Post by dublane »

I've been hearing rave reviews for mccloskey this season, how good is he?
TheSnapper
Novice

Post by TheSnapper »

dublane wrote:I've been hearing rave reviews for mccloskey this season, how good is he?
Better player than Lawton was from what i have seen and really has what it takes to be a professional player, i suspect he will get some sort of contract. Maybe if Lawton was more consistant in defence he would have went further.

Callum Threlfasll & Rowan Halsall> are they not back playing for Dungannon ?
You will also note Craig Gilroy and Paddy Jackson were playing week in week out for Dungannon at the start of last season.
No they were not.

Kirkwood was he not a seconds player

Campbell played maybe one full game (iircc)

Rainey never played last year at all

Duhig and McKenzie the TWO big losses in my opinion

Craig Millar, Who is he, did he play AIL last season can not find any info.
Available for weddings May to August only
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

TheSnapper wrote:
dublane wrote:I've been hearing rave reviews for mccloskey this season, how good is he?
Better player than Lawton was from what i have seen and really has what it takes to be a professional player, i suspect he will get some sort of contract. Maybe if Lawton was more consistant in defence he would have went further.

Callum Threlfasll & Rowan Halsall> are they not back playing for Dungannon ?
No they were not.

Kirkwood was he not a seconds player

Campbell played maybe one full game (iircc)

Rainey never played last year at all

Duhig and McKenzie the TWO big losses in my opinion

Craig Millar, Who is he, did he play AIL last season can not find any info.

http://www.irishrugby.ie/rugby/ulster_b ... &stage=D1B

Take a look through the Dungannon team reports, its a shame our website was changed over in the summer, a much more comprehensive list of teams from the whole season could be found.

In my opinion Michael Lawton is the biggest miss for Dungannon this season. Last year he went into the record books as the person to have collected the most points in any one season, not bad for a club that has been around since 1873. His kicking won us tight games time and time again.

Big Mike Rainey you are quite correct had a long term injury last season but a club captain in previous seasons and a club stalwart he most certainly would have been a man we badly would need this season and is sorely missed.

Concede Gilroy wasn't playing at the start of last season, I would beg to differ on the rest.

Rowan arrived back in Northern Ireland last week, unexpectedly and made his first AIL appearance on Saturday.

A good ten 1st XV squad players missing I estimate.
UlsterNo9
Lord Chancellor

Post by UlsterNo9 »

Dungannon Vs Quins Sat 29th Oct 11 - AIL game 2011/12

Peter Nelson; Chris Farrell, Paul McKenzie, Stuart McCloskey, Chris Cochrane; Paddy Jackson, Michael Kirkwood; Glen Sinnamon, Adam Duhig, Mark Farquhar, Tim Barker, Mark Jenkinson (capt), Derek Hall, Callum Threlfall, James McMahon.
Replacements: James McMahon, Phil Whyte, Timmy Smith, Craig Miller, Conor Gaston.

Dungannon Vs Quins Sat 3rd Nov 12 - AIL game 2012/13
Peter Nelson; Mark Faloon, Stuart McCloskey, Paul Magee, Mark O'Shea; Jaryd Bennett, Jake Finlay; Steve Sinnamon, Paul Jackson, Glen Sinnamon, Plunkett McCallan, Michael Dunleavy, Derek Hall, Ali Birch, James McMahon.
Replacements: Phil Whyte, Charlie Sargaison, Timmy Smith, John McGuckin, Sean Conway.

You will note the player turnover for the same fixture just 1 year and 4 days apart
gannonman
Steward

Post by gannonman »

Gilroy didn't play last year. Jacko did play some of it definitely. Duhig was a massive loss. Our lineout is currently a shambles at the moment. Birch, Mcmahon and McCloskey will make breaks and nobody has a clue what to do after. Until the last 10 minutes on Saturday we were appalling. We could have won that game if we played half decent throughout the match but we simply don't have the players to compete effectively in this league. We don't have an adequate pair of half backs (although Bates isn't too bad), our hooker can't throw, and our backs are nowhere near the threat of last season. Last year we had a wonderful kicker in Lawton, line breakers and try scorers in Cochrane, Nelson, McKenzie and a very good hooker in Duhig.
Kofi Annan
Lord Chancellor

Post by Kofi Annan »

gannonman wrote:Gilroy didn't play last year. Jacko did play some of it definitely. Duhig was a massive loss. Our lineout is currently a shambles at the moment. Birch, Mcmahon and McCloskey will make breaks and nobody has a clue what to do after. Until the last 10 minutes on Saturday we were appalling. We could have won that game if we played half decent throughout the match but we simply don't have the players to compete effectively in this league. We don't have an adequate pair of half backs (although Bates isn't too bad), our hooker can't throw, and our backs are nowhere near the threat of last season. Last year we had a wonderful kicker in Lawton, line breakers and try scorers in Cochrane, Nelson, McKenzie and a very good hooker in Duhig.
Surprised the line out is a shambles, tbh, Yep Walton could kick but was lacking in moral fibre. I reckon if Dungannon lose McCloskey they are fecked, read the match report on Hinch last week , I see Walton was not kicking ? Terrible to say but I see Ballymena going down and Gannon staying up to struggle again . I hear its not just the 1sts that are in disarray but other teams are woeful.
“For the liespotter who knows how to listen well, the random words, sounds, and phrases in a person's speech are never as random as they seem. They offer a clear sightline into the liar's psyche.”