Ulster v Leinster Positives and errr.... Positives?

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

pythagoras
Warrior Assassin

Re: Ulster v Leinster Positives and errr.... Positives?

Post by pythagoras »

Snipe Watson wrote:
bazzaj wrote: The intensity returned to our play from the start due in no small way to Rory Best who is one player that really led from the front and at last delivered the performance we all know he is capable of.
Good post Baz. Especially this part. Is there a better hooker playing currently?
Since you are hondootedly speaking of rugby, I'd have to admit, not in this part of the world, but it is midday down under :lol:
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

Whilst Lutton should take plaudits for a gutsy performance, far above what I expected from him, it's but a small step for the squad forward in terms of depth. McCall, as 21ish, should receive serious praise for being thrown in at the deep end, and thriving rather than surviving. He looked the deal at Under 20's level, and seemed comfortable in the crucible of the last 15 min. Believe he may have actually held up Healey at the death? Indeed, Ulster put Leinster under pressure on each of those last scrums. In context though, it just shows how ineffectual Healey is as a scrummager- certainly not Lions class..

Learning for Sarries- Williams not the guy to have at 8 when you need quick ball when your front row's under pressure.

Sorry to be negative, but the one big minus was Clancy... despite the win, Ulster should consider some sort of complaint regarding how he ref'd that match. He almost stole a well-deserved and famous victory- with untold damage to confidence. The BBC panel tried to keep a lid on it, but McWhirters' and Cunninghams' faces told it all...I rarely have a go at a ref., but that was (Literally) Beyond the Pale......Payne yellow, penalty after penalty, Williams not rolling away, on on it goes.. even Leinster looked embarrassed, or was that Cullen looking gormless as usual?...
The Grand Pantalon may be right- the man's a bigot.. no-one's that one-sided and incompetent. And that makes the result so much sweeter.. :red: :red: :red: :red: :red: :red: :red: :red: :red: :fleg: :fleg: :fleg: :fleg: :fleg: :fleg: :fleg: :fleg: :fleg: >appl >appl >appl >appl >appl >appl
Exterminate all rational thought
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Trimble is not injured, he was just taking a rest and saving himself for flattening that big glipe Ashton next week :fleg:
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

McCall manned up in fair style tonight. He can eatout on his cameo. Nobody can say he was less than exellent..........
KingLuba
Novice

Post by KingLuba »

Expected a close game but eventual defeat, even up until the final whistle (2nd one).
So absolutely delighted to see us back to early season form.
The timing could be perfect. We have the players who thrive on momentum and confidence, Williams and Trimble especially.
When this team are on a roll it's difficult to stop. We were never gona go thru the season without a bad patch but maybe it's been and gone!
breakdown
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by breakdown »

I know it's a long shot but surely on this form, Trimble deserves to be in with a chance of Lions squad contention? Since the 6N the man has been on fire, how he was kept out of the Ireland team is beyond me. Playing some great, aggressive rugby right now.
Chris Henry is superhuman... I think he's half cyborg
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

breakdown wrote:I know it's a long shot but surely on this form, Trimble deserves to be in with a chance of Lions squad contention? Since the 6N the man has been on fire, how he was kept out of the Ireland team is beyond me. Playing some great, aggressive rugby right now.
I don't want to dump on any of our lads, but Trimble is a far better player than Gilroy. I don't think either will be a lion this summer. Too many Welsh and dutch about, but AT is some bag of tricks and aggression at the moment.
breakdown
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by breakdown »

North/Cuthburt are too similar so no point taking both, Visser only nailed on winger in my book. Trimble definitely one of the best wingers in the NH on form of late.
Chris Henry is superhuman... I think he's half cyborg
HighlandRed
Novice

Post by HighlandRed »

+ves
we finally clicked- the Bastogne conditions in Edinburgh were a durge and it's nice to see us put some phases together.
Young props didn't let us down
The Big Guns lasted the distance and with no injuries for what must feel like the first time in a long while.
Roger Wilson- superb cameo- lots of body on the line tackling as you'd expect from one of Ulsters Finest.
GG- nice wee cheeky bump into second row sub Leo Cullen at 77 mins- you'd think Leo was the captain or something.

Negatives
Struggling here- you could argue the first try was held up- could have played it through the hands and still got a try and had an easier convert, but after Bastogne/Edinb, I'd take any points scoring exercise. That cancelled out the dodgy penalties from Mr Clancey.

Clancy- forget all the bodies flopping everywhere from Leinster; forget the blindness in the first half (only 1 penalty against Leinster?); forget the typical Leinster in at the side of the Ruck; forget the dodgy penalty against Nick Williams at half time- what the hell, in the name of all things holy was he thinking consulting the video ref after the game was finished- this isn't horse racing or formula one. He called the game over, he whistled and signalled and 25 secs elapsed and then he went to the TMO. WTF.

I'm seated in first class on the chill out express.
ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Post by ColinM »

Positive- had a right good laugh at fat Ross in his first ever ruck picking the ball up and looking confused as to why he'd just been penalised
Scholar
Initiate

Post by Scholar »

Congratulations Mr Lutton. I guess that makes you a quadruple blue!
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (161.11 KiB) Viewed 540 times
Scholar
Initiate

Post by Scholar »

Ulster fans sing Maaak's McCall. Guts.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (125.39 KiB) Viewed 529 times
pip14
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by pip14 »

Still buzzing from last night was great!!

Major positive - NO INJURIES!!! :D :cheers: :D
You've got to get your first tackle in early, even if it's late.
stickinout
Warrior Chief

Post by stickinout »

What a win last night. I asked Santa for a H and A win against Leinster to make up for the final last year!

Just one point on negatives.
RESTARTS!!!
two or three dropped restarts near the end caused us to play the game deep in our half. Never give a sucker an even break and that's what we did. Leinster didn't play well last night, but they might have pipped it at the end if they'd kicked the peno with 4 mins to go, and set themselves up for a drop goal in injury time.

Nonetheless, a great performance, we really needed that for next week.
Scranner
Warrior

Post by Scranner »

On the subject of Trimble going to Australia: Constable said last night that he thought Gatland might look beyond the 6Ns and that he would probably have a long hard look at AT. I personally would love that as I think (without any real evidence) that Andy's exclusion from the Ireland side has a lot to do with the antipathy between him and Drico. And yes I think Andy is still a better (different style of play) winger than Gilroy.
STATE PRO VIRIS ULTONIAE