Schimdt appointed new Ireland coach

Stuff from around the world.

Moderator: Moderators

BuckRogers
Red Hand Ambassador

Re: Schimdt appointed new Ireland coach

Post by BuckRogers »

The biggest up side of the Schmidt appointment is that he is here for a good time and not a long time. He will be seeking to use this Irish gig as a spring board to the NZ job which is what I believe he truely covets.

If he can bring the level of success and hunger to Ireland as he did with Leinster ill be delighted.

It should also be remembered that Kidney was also an excellent club coach with a similar CV to Schmidt and enjoyed short term success with Ireland. It's not an easy gig IMO with a lot of meddling hands...Joe certainly has his work cut out IMO.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

The coach with provincial bias is a bit of a red herring, I didn't notice him playing the good Samaritan to Clermont when he swapped them for Leinster. You could say Uncle Vern was getting sick of the sight of his firmer deputy.

Also a red herring is the notion of a complete outsider, name a few potential candidates. White said he wasn't interested and the other guy spoken about, Ewan McKenzie was a notable failure in his one foray north of the equator.

Joe hasn't enormous coaching experience, Leinster being his only major head coach role but it is undeniable that he improved on what Cheka produced and made Leinster far more accurate in their execution whilst retaining a hard edge.

As for the contract term, as far as I recall there was talk of him heading south again before long. I assume a decent length of tenure was required for him to commit. Pretty understandable I'd say.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

The best thing about this appointment is that he is not a conservative coach and I hope as Shan has suggested that he if freed of the shackles of Wigglesworth et al.
Deckard
Novice

Post by Deckard »

Excellent news indeed. It will be very interesting to see the makeup of his staff - I imagine Smal is toast, and as far as I know Schmidt does Leinster's defensive work himself. I would say that if we see Foley involved, it's a sure sign of IRFU meddling.. I'd be surprised though! Kiss might live to fight again - I always quite liked him, but if he does, he is a very lucky boy, having been in situ during the whole Kidney era..

As for fears of him being biased, a lot of nonsense IMO.. (And at least if he is, it will be in favour of good players :) )
Kofi Annan
Lord Chancellor

Post by Kofi Annan »

If foley is kept then there is still interfering from Wiggy and Co, I am excited with this appointment and I hope to see an exciting attacking Ireland.
“For the liespotter who knows how to listen well, the random words, sounds, and phrases in a person's speech are never as random as they seem. They offer a clear sightline into the liar's psyche.”
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Kofi Annan wrote:If foley is kept then there is still interfering from Wiggy and Co, I am excited with this appointment and I hope to see an exciting attacking Ireland.
So do I take it you reckon if Foley gets the chop Joe is running the show and if Foley stays Joe is just another Eddie and Deccie ?
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Rooster wrote:
Kofi Annan wrote:If foley is kept then there is still interfering from Wiggy and Co, I am excited with this appointment and I hope to see an exciting attacking Ireland.
So do I take it you reckon if Foley gets the chop Joe is running the show and if Foley stays Joe is just another Eddie and Deccie ?
What if Joe like the cut if Axel's jib?
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Snipe Watson wrote:
Rooster wrote:
What if Joe like the cut if Axel's jib?
Wise up, he's a feckin turnip
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
ShayBear
Novice

Post by ShayBear »

I think Les Kiss will be kept on, heard he is well liked and respected by the players who feel that he has been doing good work with them. Also being given charge of the North America tour maybe an indication thath the IRFU want to keep him
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

None of the current management team should be kept on!
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Russ wrote:None of the current management team should be kept on!
Well said Russ, kick them all out and let Joe pick them again if he is happy but no coach should have to work with a back room team picked by someone else.
Rory Best
Deckard
Novice

Post by Deckard »

Rooster wrote:
Russ wrote:None of the current management team should be kept on!
Well said Russ, kick them all out and let Joe pick them again if he is happy but no coach should have to work with a back room team picked by someone else.
Exactly right..

It should certainly be Schmidt's call - so if for whatever reason he reckons Kiss is worth keeping, surrounded by guys who are clearly Schmidt picks, then fine; if on the other hand in 6 weeks we see an announcement that Foley is Assistant Head Coach or some such, abandon hope... Schmidt has softened up in the face of a job which (a) he prefers for personal reasons and (b) pays better, and perhaps against his better judgment has opened himself up to IRFU interference.

If we see a clean sweep, then rejoice, because Joe has opened the path to true professionalism for Ireland..
bootlaced
Lord Chancellor

Post by bootlaced »

Well not long to the Autumn Internationals it will be interesting to see what team will be selected,I can't forsee much change maybe a different style of play.
"Never whistle while you're pi$$ing", Hagbard Celine
bootlaced
Lord Chancellor

Post by bootlaced »

Schmidt refused to be drawn on the identity of a possible captain and mentioned O'Connell, Brian O'Driscoll, Jamie Heaslip, and Rory Best as possible candidates.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/k ... 46632.html

Plus,

Under his direction Leinster were one of the most exciting teams to watch in Europe. He admits his time there "surpassed all expectations". If Ireland are to be successful, though, Schmidt believes it is the players who will be the driving force.

"It is a player-driven environment. They have to want to be able to deliver those different aspects of the game.

"They have to work hard because the skill and technique required is very demanding and it's not a case of just working on that in Ireland camp. That work by the players must go on throughout the year."

One of the toughest aspects of the job for a coach renowned for being a stickler for detail and with a reputation for being 'hands-on' is certain to be the very limited coaching opportunities he is afforded during the season.

"I've been asking myself how I am going to get across the style of play I want to the players in very short windows. Inevitably I will have less influence because I get them a week before the Autumn Internationals. The players will be doing the most of their work on skills with their provinces."

http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/s ... 46629.html
"Never whistle while you're pi$$ing", Hagbard Celine