What the Papers Say 2012/2013

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Re: What the Papers Say 2012/2013

Post by ColinM »

Fairly bland article with an unsavoury twist
Mac
Chancellor to the King

Post by Mac »

Tuesday 30thApril 2013

Twas the night before Lions selection, when all through the eve,
Only Gatland was sleeping, with some tricks up his sleeve
BOD, POC and Sam all sat in their chair,
With dreams of captaincy, flowing through their hair

Farrell weeped, and cried in his kitchen,
Hoping Wilkinson didnt take his position.
Beside his name, Robshaw hopes theres a tick,
Along with Madigan, Hogg and Tipuric

Wade could run faster than the plane,
Causing Gatty more of a selection pain
And then there’s Heaslip, consistency’s the word,
Folk saying he’s not going; don’t be absurd

Halfpenny’s kicked himself there,
While Youngs has proved better than Care
Tuilagi could bosh a rhino out of his way,
The same could be said for O’Brien on any day

Healy and Best will be partners in crime,
Unfortunate to say, its past ROG’s time
Jones and Coles will battle for three,
And Neil Jenkins will marshal the tee

Ryan and O’Mahony could also be in with a chance,
Only if they can pick a fight at first glance
Despite all the drama, the choices and speculation,
It’s without a doubt, we’ll silence the Aussie nation.
http://rugbylad.com/rugbyladblog/twas-t ... selection/

FisherBelfast
Brian.png
Brian.png (68 KiB) Viewed 2238 times
“I’m a winner: people who know me know what I’m about! I don’t like losing….. “. The interest in my previous post on Lions & Lions has encouraged me to devote another page to the breakfast talk given recently at the Dunadry Hotel to Antrim Lions Club and their guests by former Ulster Rugby head coach Brian McLaughlin, now Academy Schools Coach. This time I will tell it as he delivered it: punchy and with plenty of insights into the world of rugby, with which he has been intimately involved for many years.

Brian kicked off his life story by talking about the support he got from his parents (and I am typing this at my parents’ house in Dublin). His career has centred around sport. His father played hockey but his mother’s preference was for tennis and “she had a tennis racket in my hand from the age of three”. Tennis was his second love and he played at Comber, where he was reared. What he did not tell us last Thursday (and I would have loved to discuss it further with him) was that his grandfather (like Tommy Bowe) had a connection with County Monaghan, having moved from Ballybay in the 1920s to take over as manager of the Northern bank in Comber. His father, a keen Instonian, worked in the linen industry in Belfast and had a small business on Murray Street.

Brian said his parents had encouraged him every step of the way and they had never missed an Ulster game at Ravenhill when he was in charge. After the age of twelve he “always wanted to be a PE teacher” and his love of sport as a teenager seems to have left a trail of destruction behind in several broken windows!

He and his two brothers were sent to Regent House in Newtownards. David McMaster who coached rugby teams at the school for many years was an important influence and he has kept in contact with many of his school friends. He was a contemporary of Nigel Carr, “the hardest guy to play against”. Carr was later an Irish international and was a great player who showed “unbelievable spirit”, according to Brian. Nigel and two other international players were caught up in an IRA bomb at the border in April 1987 and although he escaped serious injury, his knee was affected and it ended his rugby career at the age of 27. Brian said he admired Carr’s resilience. He remembered doing speed and power training with him in the 1980s. Each acted as best man for the other at their weddings.

A third member of that Regent House team, who went on to star for Ireland, was Phillip Matthews, now a BBC rugby commentator. Along with McLaughlin he played in an Ulster schools’ cup final in 1977 when Regent House narrowly lost to Tommy Bowe’s alma mater, Royal School Armagh, 12-9. Carr broke his leg in the quarter final against Grosvenor (Belfast) and missed out on the final. He had seven knee operations during his time as a player to keep him active. But he missed out on any Lions tour (South Africa in 1986 did not happen, owing to apartheid) but did play against the Rest of the World in Cardiff in 1986.

During the 1986/87 season McLaughlin was captain of Ards. In 1987 they won the Ulster Senior Cup. In 1982 he took on his second teaching job at Wallace High School in Lisburn. He was also involved in club rugby with Malone and Instonians and the Ulster under-20s. When Eddie O’Sullivan got the Ireland under-21 coaching job, he brought in Brian McLaughlin in as his forwards coach. They got on well and thought about rugby the same way. The side won triple crowns in 1996 and 1998. The 1996 team was captained by Tony McWhirter, who won 94 caps playing for Ulster and was a member of the European Cup winning side in 1999. Other rising stars from that era included Eric Miller, Girvan Dempsey and Malcolm O’Kelly, all of them coached by McLaughlin. He described O’Sullivan as a forward-thinking coach and said it was a huge decision for O’Sullivan to go off in 1997 for two years to the United States as an assistant coach. O’Sullivan was not long in the Ireland senior job in 2005 when he gave McLaughlin a shout to come and help higher up the line. Both remain good pals, according to Brian.

In the previous three years from 2002-2005 McLaughlin had been coaching Ballynahinch. He was full of praise for their young players who have come through like Willie Faloon (now Connacht) and Paddy McAllister (both Royal School Armagh) who he said was “dynamic” and he hoped would play for Ireland. He described scrum half Paul Marshall (Methody) as a fantastic player, who was the fittest guy in Ulster: “a pocket-rocket”. The late Nevin Spence, who died in a farm accident last September, was “a fantastic guy” and “an exceptional character”, who he said had shown “unbelievable determination” on the rugby pitch and who was an unbelievable loss for Ulster. He said he had stayed in contact with the Spence family, who lost two other members in the slurry-pit tragedy. Another Hinch player to make the grade with Ulster was a Cork man, Jerry Cronin from Mallow. He was signed up for Ballynahinch one night in the pub in Belfast, where he was working as a structural engineer. He is a “phenomenal character” according to McLaughlin and made his debut for Ulster in October 2010 against his home province of Munster. He was signed up by the Doncaster Knights in England eleven months ago and it remains to be seen if he returns to Ireland at some stage (Munster, perhaps?).
http://fisherbelfast.wordpress.com/
Image Image
If You Have To Ask....You Don't Understand
Mac
Chancellor to the King

Post by Mac »

Tuesday 30th April .......Cont'd

:duh: :banghead: :duh: :banghead:

Tele

Ulster's Best misses out on Lions again......................
Ulster's Rory Best has again missed out on a place in the British and Irish Lions as the 37-man squad was announced in London today.

Best, who was tipped to get the call-up today, was also left out of the squad in 2009.

There are nine Irishmen in the travelling squad but there was no place for the Ulster hooker but his Ultser team-mate Tommy Bowe was named by coach Warren Gatland.

Wales star Sam Warburton was named captain for this summer's tour of Hong Kong and Australia.

There are also no places among the 37-man squad announced by Lions manager Andy Irvine in London today for England skipper Chris Robshaw or 2003 World Cup hero Jonny Wilkinson.

But head coach Warren Gatland handed surprise call-ups to Scotland wing Sean Maitland, England prop Mako Vunipola and 2005 Lions tourist Matt Stevens.

Cardiff Blues flanker Warburton, at 24 the youngest Welsh Lions captain in history, will lead a squad comprising 14 of his compatriots.

Warburton led Wales to the 2011 World Cup semi-finals - Wales' best performance for 24 years - and a Six Nations Grand Slam five months later.

After being injured for the opening part of this season's Six Nations, he returned to deliver a man of the match display against Scotland and then starred when Wales inflicted a record 30-3 defeat on England to win the title.

While Wales are celebrating their largest Lions contingent since 16 players travelled to New Zealand 36 years ago, England provide 10 members of Gatland's squad, one more than in South Africa four years ago.

Stevens, who missed the 2009 tour while serving a two-year drugs ban, retired from England duty after the 2011 Rugby World Cup but has been included as one of three tight-head options.

There are nine Irishmen in the travelling squad but there was no place for Ulster hooker Rory Best, with England's Dylan Hartley and Tom Youngs selected along with Wales' Richard Hibbard.

Scotland provide three players - the New Zealand-born wing Maitland, lock Richie Gray and full-back Stuart Hogg.

Warburton admitted he had known about the news for some time, saying: "Warren gave me a call, it's been nine or 10 days since I found out and the biggest secret I've had to keep.

"It's unbelievable, an accolade very few people achieve and it's an unbelievable honour."

Gatland said: "In the last two or three years he's been the most successful captain in the northern hemisphere.

"I have a huge amount of respect for Sam, he's an absolute professional and he leads from the front."

Gatland admitted it had been tough to leave out the likes of Robshaw and Wilkinson.

"There was a robust debate about the squad and there were healthy discussions for every position," he said.

"Some real quality players have missed out. We had a thorough process and it's been tough."

He did offer hope to those left out, however, saying: "If you look at previous tours six to eight players get injured and there will be a group of back-up players who can be called upon."

Much of Gatland's squad was as expected, spearheaded by the likes of Ireland centre Brian O'Driscoll, who is on his fourth successive Lions tour, 2009 captain Paul O'Connell and Wales prop Adam Jones.

But there are also opportunities for a new generation of Lions, players such as Wales trio George North, Alex Cuthbert and Justin Tipuric, England pair Manu Tuilagi and Owen Farrell and Ireland prop Cian Healy.

Gatland's squad is split into 16 backs and 21 forwards and four weeks today the party will leave for Hong Kong where they open the 10-match tour against the Barbarians on June 1.

The Lions then head to Australia with the first of three Tests against the Wallabies in Brisbane on June 22.

British and Irish Lions squad

The 37-man British & Irish Lions squad selected by head coach Warren Gatland for the tour of Australia:

Full-backs: Leigh Halfpenny (Cardiff Blues and Wales), Stuart Hogg (Glasgow Warriors and Scotland), Rob Kearney (Leinster and Ireland).

Wings: Tommy Bowe (Ulster and Ireland), Alex Cuthbert (Cardiff Blues and Wales), Sean Maitland (Glasgow Warriors and Scotland), George North (Scarlets and Wales).

Centres: Jonathan Davies (Scarlets and Wales), Brian O'Driscoll (Leinster and Ireland), Jamie Roberts (Cardiff Blues and Wales), Manu Tuilagi (Leicester and England).

Fly-halves: Owen Farrell (Saracens and England), Jonathan Sexton (Leinster and Ireland).

Scrum-halves: Conor Murray (Munster and Ireland), Mike Phillips (Bayonne and Wales), Ben Youngs (Leicester and England).

Props: Dan Cole (Leicester and England), Cian Healy (Leinster and Ireland), Gethin Jenkins (Toulon and Wales), Adam Jones (Ospreys and Wales), Matt Stevens (Saracens and England), Mako Vunipola (Saracens and England).

Hookers: Dylan Hartley (Northampton and England), Richard Hibbard (Ospreys and Wales), Tom Youngs (Leicester and England).

Second rows: Ian Evans (Ospreys and Wales), Richie Gray (Sale and Scotland), Alun Wyn Jones (Ospreys and Wales), Paul O'Connell (Munster and Ireland), Geoff Parling (Leicester and England).

Back-rowers: Tom Croft (Leicester and England), Toby Faletau (Newport Gwent Dragons and Wales), Jamie Heaslip (Leinster and Ireland), Dan Lydiate (Newport Gwent Dragons and Wales), Sean O'Brien (Leinster and Ireland), Justin Tipuric (Ospreys and Wales), Sam Warburton (capt, Cardiff Blues and Wales).
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport ... 32106.html

Also-
http://www.independent.ie/sport/zebo-an ... 32091.html

.........well after that announcement I don't believe there are many around here
that would wish to read further. So, that being the position anyone who feels
inclined can do so themselves.
MAC.
Image Image
Mac
Chancellor to the King

Post by Mac »

Wednesday 1st May 2013

Indo

Buoyant Bowe confident Best may still have role to play Down Under.................
TOMMY BOWE'S delight at being selected for his second Lions tour was tempered by the news of Rory Best's omission.

"Everyone in Ireland sympathises with Rory," said Bowe. "He is a tremendous player and I know he will be so disappointed at missing out."

The Ulster and Ireland winger had himself harboured genuine concerns that he might be overlooked after missing Ireland's Six Nations campaign because of injury.

He has since made an impressive return to the Ulster team, but admitted to being a nervous wreck yesterday morning.

"I found it hard to concentrate in training," he laughed. "It certainly wasn't ideal to miss the Six Nations campaign through injury and that absolutely put me at a disadvantage.

"But to be selected after playing so little rugby is a huge boost of confidence. It is great that the coaches have so much faith in me. I'm thrilled."

Bowe was genuinely saddened at Best's plight, but he expects to see his Ulster and Ireland team-mate in Australia at some stage.

"We weren't together when the squad was announced. The forwards were off doing their thing and I was kicking. I only heard when I came off the pitch.

"Rory had hoped to be picked and, of course, he'll be frustrated.

"But there are always injuries with the Lions, sometimes even before the squad leaves. I am fairly confident Rory will be on the list of stand-by players."

Bowe will celebrate his call-up by playing for Ulster in their game against Cardiff Blues on Friday night and, like Munster's Paul O'Connell, wants to cram as much rugby into the rest of the season as he can.

"I need game time after my lay-off. There are potentially three games left in Ulster's season and, hopefully, I will play as much of those three games as is possible.

"The two Wales wingers are the favourites to start the first Test at this stage, but the confidence of being selected is a huge motivation for me. I enjoyed the 2009 tour so much. It was surreal to play in the Tests and I would love to be a part of a winning series."
http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/l ... 33674.html

Times

Bowe’s prayers answered as he goes out on a wing for the second time .......................
Delighted for call up for Australia after after lengthy lay-off with injury
Tommy Bowe is the lightest winger going on tour with the British and Irish Lions this summer. At six-foot-three and just over 15 stone, that’s some warning to Robbie Deans’ Wallabies.

The Sydney Morning Herald was quick to label Warrant Gatland’s squad a collection of “big slabs of red meat.”

And so it begins. For Bowe, the past few months have been all about urgency. Having required surgery in December after badly damaging the lateral part of his right knee, jarring it in the 10-9 defeat to Northampton, a second successive Lions tour seemed beyond this eminently decent 29-year-old from Monaghan.

“I saw the paper, like everyone else, that Warren was giving some people a chance to come back but I knew the Six Nations was the real area to showcase what you got. I knew I had my work cut out.”

Really, Gatland was talking about two of his favourite players, the laid up Paul O’Connell and Dan Lydiate, but he included Bowe in that bracket as sponsors transported him all over the globe, cranking up this hugely profitable and unique tour.

And Gatland is well able to talk. Along with Scotland’s Andy Irvine, they sold the 10-match tour, constantly dropping Bowe’s name in the process.

Reading the Lions coach name-checking you while hobbling from the gym to physio room must have been a chink of light in solitary confinement.

Gasped in disbelief
Bowe knew his parole hearing was on April 6th at Twickenham. The rugby world gasped in disbelief as O’Connell delivered a monumental performance the following afternoon across the road at The Stoop (just as Conor Murray was eclipsing Danny Care and Tommy O’Donnell was out digging a jaded looking Chris Robshaw). But Bowe’s 22 minute cameo in Ulster’s dismal loss to Saracens in that European quarter-final registered with Gatland.

He arrived at outside centre for Darren Cave just before Owen Farrell made it 22-9. It was over as a contest but from watching Bowe, and young Iain Henderson for that matter, it seemed like the game was going down to the wire.

Bowe was all action, the midfield role he filled so impressively when the Lions finally beat the Springboks in the third Test in 2009.

He followed Twickenham up with a try from the right wing against the Dragons (Gatland again peering in to watch Lydiate and Toby Faletau) and switched to the left against Connacht where he grabbed another try.

It all matters. George North is the only out and out left winger selected, while Jamie Roberts is the only established No 12, perhaps opening the road for Brian O’Driscoll to shift inside.

“I’m delighted the coaches had the confidence to pick me,” said Bowe after training yesterday ahead of Friday’s game at home to Cardiff. “That gives me a real spur, a real urge to try and push myself on when I get on tour.”

‘Up to speed’
“I’m happy with how quickly I got up to speed because my fitness levels still needed a few more weeks but I just had to get back for the quarters, I felt, but probably could’ve done with another week or two under my belt.

“At least I am getting match fitness now, we’ve a game this weekend, a semi-final the week after so hopefully I’ll get three more games under my belt before we tour. That would be perfect.”

That would be a grand total of 14 matches for Ulster this season, with his last Ireland cap coming against Argentina in November. And still he keeps scoring tries, having banked seven for both club and country in the current disrupted campaign.

The euphoria felt by Bowe and Murray yesterday at Ulster and Munster training yesterday would have been muted, what with Peter O’Mahony, Simon Zebo and especially Rory Best missing out.

‘Absolutely devastated’
“Ach, I’m absolutely devastated for Rory,” said Bowe. “Everyone in Ulster and Ireland felt he had a really great shot of going on the tour. And he would be up there to get picked for the Test series. All of us up here really feel for him.”

This, of course, is Bowe’s second time on the Lions carousel with Ireland’s bolter Conor Murray arriving in a very similar position to the likes of Bowe, Rob Kearney, Luke Fitzgerald and Jamie Heaslip in 2009.

Just turned 24, Murray can see Fitzgerald’s injury ravaged career ever since the ’09 tour as a warning; this could be the pinnacle. Jeremy Davidson and Eric Miller are further examples.

Not that Murray hasn’t been performing like a scrumhalf in a hurry of late anyway.
http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/i ... -1.1378242

LondonTele
Omission of Rory Best from the squad is a mystery...........................
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyu ... stery.html
Image Image
Mac
Chancellor to the King

Post by Mac »

Wednesday 1st May.......Cont'd

BBC
Winger Craig Gilroy is back in the Ulster squad for Friday's crucial Pro12 clash with Cardiff Blues at Ravenhill.

Gilroy missed last month's win over Connacht with a groin injury but is named in coach Mark Anscombe's 27-man provisional squad to face the Blues.

Luke Marshall and Roger Wilson are the only injury absentees as Ulster aim to finish top of the Pro12 and secure a home tie in the semi-final play-offs.

Chris Henry and Robbie Diack are set to make their 100th Ulster appearances.

Back row forward Sean Doyle is included for the first time since breaking his leg in a club game in October.

Anscombe faces a selection dilemma on the wing, with Gilroy, Tommy Bowe and Andrew Trimble vying for two starting places.

John Afoa is likely to come into the starting XV after coming on as a replacement for the victory over Connacht in Galway.

The Irish province are top of the table, three ahead of second-placed Leinster and four in front of Glasgow.

A win on Friday night would see Ulster face a probable home semi-final against the Scarlets a week later, although the Ospreys could yet sneak into the semi-final reckoning.

The Blues are struggling in ninth position, level on points with eighth-placed Connacht.

Ulster won 48-19 when the sides met at Cardiff Arms Park earlier in the season.

Ulster squad: Forwards: Johann Muller, Callum Black, John Afoa, Robbie Diack, Iain Henderson, Declan Fitzpatrick, Dan Tuohy, Ricky Lutton, Rory Best, Mike McComish, Lewis Stevenson, Chris Henry, Nick Williams, Tom Court, Sean Doyle, Rob Herring.

Backs: Michael Allen, Ruan Pienaar, Paddy Jackson, Paul Marshall, Darren Cave, Andrew Trimble, Tommy Bowe, Jared Payne, Peter Nelson, Craig Gilroy, Stuart Olding.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/22365521

http://www.rabodirectpro12.com/news/16483.php

Pro12

Bowe: Ulster games are key to my Lions success......................
Ulster wing Tommy Bowe admits he needs all the RaboDirect PRO12 games he can get before he heads off with the British & Irish Lions this summer.

The 29-year-old missed Ireland's Six Nations campaign with a knee injury but has impressed on his return to domestic action.
However, the former Ospreys star's lack of fitness was a cause for concern and he admits he doubted he would even make Warren Gatland's 37-man squad set to head Down Under.

But with Ulster set to embark on their play-off campaign following their final RaboDirect PRO12 league fixture of the season against Cardiff Blues on Friday, Bowe insists he has ample time to get up to speed.

He told the Irish Independent: "I need game time after my lay-off. There are potentially three games left in Ulster's season and, hopefully, I will play as much of those three games as is possible.

"I found it hard to concentrate in training. It certainly wasn't ideal to miss the Six Nations campaign through injury and that absolutely put me at a disadvantage.

"But to be selected after playing so little rugby is a huge boost of confidence. It is great that the coaches have so much faith in me. I'm thrilled."
http://www.rabodirectpro12.com/news/16481.php

:compress: TheFlippinFlipSide >skull

Mac
Chancellor to the King

Post by Mac »

Thursday 2nd May 2013

Times

Worst of weeks for Best likely to galvanise Ulster...............
From an Ulster point of view maybe this week’s good fortune has arrived in Warren Gatland’s indifference to the claims of Rory Best. That the province are going into the season’s final straight with a raw wound rather than the satisfaction of having two Lions named for Australia might galvanise the team even more than the stick and carrot of coach Mark Anscombe.

Ulster are crying foul as they face into the Cardiff Blues tomorrow night in Ravenhill.

But it’s no bad thing to carry some self-righteous anger into a game that could help define the season. A home semi-final in the PRO12 may not compensate for Best missing out on selection for the Lions but in terms of concentrating the mind, disappointment can often breed defiance. The collective will hurt for their hooker in Belfast, where the name British and Irish Lions resonates at a different pitch than in Dublin or Limerick. Chris Henry makes that clear enough.

Bit Shocked
“I think we are all a bit shocked for Rory not to get picked and delighted for Tommy,” says Henry. “Tommy had such massive ground to make up and the fact he was able to come back from a bad injury and then work so hard and find his form quickly to make such an impact . . . it’s just incredible what he’s done.

“On the other hand I’m really stunned about Rory. Ask anyone from here and we are all just taken aback. I mean it’s definitely just their loss not taking him . . . I think his performances justified them taking him and the type person he is as well.

“He is the just the sort of person you would want to bring with a group of players like. But unfortunately that’s just a twist in this season and knowing Rory as I know Rory the very last thing he will do is allow this to affect the Ulster team in any way at all.”

Gatland’s cold comfort of explaining that Best was “desperately unlucky” to miss out doesn’t cut much ice up in Belfast. That his lineout statistics didn’t stack up quite as high as the Kiwi would have liked, where the throwing of Dylan Hartley, Tom Youngs and Richard Hibbard evidently did, cost dearly.

But Ulster folk point to other areas where Best excels, although now he is open to the lineout watchers.

Inevitably people will now count his darts in much the same way as outhalf Paddy Jackson’s kicking was used to define how useful he was for Ireland. The Ravenhill view is the decision was clumsy and blinkered.
http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/w ... -1.1379540

BBC

Rory Best on huge Lions disappointment.......................Video
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/22375610

Best omission short-sighted - Wood...........................
Two-time British and Irish Lion Keith Wood believes leaving out Ulster hooker Rory Best from this year's squad is a short-sighted move.

Best, capped 67 times by Ireland, was omitted in favour of Richard Hibbard, Dylan Hartley and Tom Youngs.

"He struggled a bit in the Six Nations with his line-out throwing and lost confidence," Wood told BBC 5 live.

"If that was the reason for him not being picked, I think it's a bit short-sighted."

Wood believes 30-year-old Best, who has captained Ulster and also Ireland, would have thrived in the Lions environment.

"I am a big Rory Best fan," said Wood, who won 58 caps for Ireland and toured with the Lions in 1997 and 2001. "He is a very good thrower, and his skills and ability are permanent. I think he has it in his leadership and in his all-round play. He is a really good quality guy and I think all he wants is the Lions - this is the thing that is missing in him.

"There is something vital about him and the way he leads from the front. Ireland suffered a bit this year and I think he has suffered because of the team, not because of himself.

"Being hooker is the loneliest place in the world throwing the ball into a line-out when you don't have confidence. Some of Ireland's calling and lifting in the Six Nations wasn't as sharp as it should be, and as the matches were going on you could see his confidence coming down.

"He lost the certainty of where his jumpers were going to be, where his lifters were, where he was going to have to put the ball. You could just see it unravelling a little bit."

Lions forwards coach Graham Rowntree revealed that in tight selection calls such as hooker, the management team resorted to individual player statistics to help inform their decisions.

Wood believes Hartley, who lost his starting spot with England to Youngs during the Six Nations, is fortunate to make the Lions squad.

"I would have left out Dylan Hartley," he added. "I don't know that he has done enough. When Northampton played Ulster in the Heineken Cup this season, Rory Best came out on top on both occasions."
http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/22373665
Image Image
Mac
Chancellor to the King

Post by Mac »

Thursday 2nd May..................Cont'd

Newsletter

Rugby players to honour Spence family in Carrick Sevens tournament..........................
Honouring Nevin.png
Honouring Nevin.png (255.85 KiB) Viewed 1977 times
Prop Paddy McAllister and friends from Ulster Rugby and Ballynahinch will honour the memory of Ulster colleague Nevin Spence, his father Noel and brother Graham and raise money by entering a team in the Guinness Carrick Sevens tournament which is staged from Friday May 3 to May 5.

The NGN7’s will be made of players from Ballynahinch.

“Timmy Morton who is a Ballynahinch man and someone I’ve known for a while approached me with an idea about a team, I was all for it, he has put a lot of work into it and I’m trying to help as much as I can,” said McAllister.

“The idea just kind of sparked up that there was something here that we can honour the three boys with and rugby is close to the heart, all the boys that are playing in the team knew them in some way.”

“Nevin was close to a couple of charities so we through let’s see if we can raise some money or get awareness out there and now we’re actually trying to pull the reins in a wee bit because it has taken off so much that we are trying to pace ourselves and see where we actually go with the NGN.”

“This has been a season that has rocked everybody from the professional set up to local clubs all over the country, a lot of people wanted to be involved in the team and we’ve had to turn down people which just shows how much it has touched everybody.”

“It’s not a serious competition but these fellas have a bit of pride and there is a bit of an extra incentive and there is something there that they are playing for.”

McAlister explained the make up of the team.

“David was in the academy when Nevin and I first joined, he was involved in the academy then and now he’s an S&C, he’s a great guy for the past four years he’s been brilliant.”

“Blane McIlroy who is unfortunately leaving next year he’s taken the opportunity to be in the tem, obviously we couldn’t get the fully contracted boys so that’s we they have jumped into the coaching and there will be a lot of boys there supporting.”

“We’ve got Jared (Payne), Nick (Williams), John Afoa, Chris Henry, Paddy Jackson and Craig Gilroy and they want a chance to add something to the coaching side or come and support.”

McAllister has been overwhelmed by the support for the team.

“Nevin was a special guy and he touched everybody and it has affected everybody in their own way, I don’t know whether it gives us comfort or whether it unifies everybody but it definitely feels like a big family.”

McAllister would have loved to have played in the competition but his season was ended before it started when he suffered torn lateral and cruciate knee ligaments during training in August.

“I’m back next season, it’s been frustrating season rugby wise but it happens, I’m young enough to come back bigger and stronger, I’m working hard with the physicos and training to get back.”

While there is a fun element to the Carrick 7s McAllister is hoping NGN7’s can win it and is hoping to organise more fund raising events.

“Obviously we want to raise money for the thing and people say you should care about winning but the three boys were competitors, if you want to go there for a bit of craic fair enough but at the same time I’d say every one of these boys will want to win it.”

“We’ll be raffling at Carrick 7s a player’s jersey with the NS on it that has been signed by the team and hopefully that can make a bit of money, there may be a few events in the summer that we are thinking about that we’ll talk about after the 7s.”

“We’re trying to do our best for wee Oscar (Knox) and the Northern Ireland Children’s Fund for Cancer and hopefully we can do that.”

On Wednesday, the Carrick Sevens committee and the NGN 7s team joined together to meet the coaches and water boys that will participate in the Guinness Open Tournament. They also had the privilege of meeting Oscar Knox who was very excited to meet his favourite players.

The Guinness Carrick 7s committee have been working with the NGN 7s team to raise awareness and funds for both the Oscar Knox Appeal and the Northern Ireland Cancer Fund for Children, in memory of Noel, Graham and Nevin Spence who died tragically last year in a farming accident.

The NGN 7s team will be supported by the Ulster Rugby team, many of whom were close friends and team mates of Nevin Spence.

Some of the Ulster players will be acting as coaches, water boys and sponge boys for the NGN 7’s team during the tournament this weekend. Although not all of our favourite team will be there, many will be spectating during this emotional tribute to the Spence Family.

The weekend will include the Samurai U19s on Friday evening, which will see 12 teams taking part. Saturday’s tournament is the Quigg Golden Open, in which the NGN 7s are entered. On Sunday the Abbey Ladies 10s and the Manvik Qualifying League Sevens kick-off at noon. Throughout the whole weekend there will be a huge barbeque and a kidzone so all of the family are well catered for!

In the evening you will see great entertainment starting with Zodiac in the clubhouse on Friday night. In the Guinness Live Marquee on Saturday Rumours take to the stage and on Sunday The Untouchables will be headlining!

Following the Open tournament and prize giving. The Guinness Carrick 7s will draw a raffle where the lucky winner will win an Ulster Rugby Jersey signed by the entire team. All the proceeds will go to their chosen charities, The Oscar Knox Appeal and NICFC.

The raffle tickets are on sale now and will be available over the course of the competition.
http://www.newsletter.co.uk/sport/rugby ... -1-5049340

:compress: TheFlipSide >skull

BluesOfficial

Team.................
Davies selects side for final match of the season.
Cardiff Blues take on Ulster in Belfast in the final match of the 2012/13 season

Having been selected for the Lions on Tuesday, Alex Cuthbert will line up for the Blues as they take on Ulster in the last match of the season on Friday 3 May, 7.45pm kick off at Ravenhill.
Cuthbert, who has recovered from a hamstring injury, is playing his first game since helping clinch the Six Nations championship for Wales with two tries against England.

Also in the backs Dan Fish starts at fullback having recovered from a shoulder injury. Rhys Patchell and Harry Robinson, who have both been selected in the Wales U20s squad for the IRB Junior World Championships in France, also start.

In the forwards Michael Paterson, playing his last game for the Blues before joining Sale Sharks, starts at Number 8.

Josh Navidi, Lou Reed, Bradley Davies and Scott Andrews, who are all included in the 32-man training squad to prepare for the forthcoming two-test tour of Japan, all start. Ceri Sweeney and Tom James, who will be joining Exeter Chiefs, feature on the bench.

The Blues take on an Ulster side that require three more match points to ensure that they finish at the top of the table. The Ulsterman have won their last three RaboDirect PRO12 matches and have lost just once at Ravenhill in the competition all season.

However, the Blues can take confidence from the fact they have recorded two away victories over Irish provinces this season in Connacht (round 1) and Munster (round 13).

The match is shown live on BBC Two - Northern Ireland channel 972 on Sky, kicking off at 7.45pm on Friday night.

Cardiff Blues 15 Dan Fish 14 Alex Cuthbert 13 Gavin Evans (c) 12 Dafydd Hewitt 11 Harry Robinson 10 Rhys Patchell 9 Lewis Jones

1 Taufa'ao Filise 2 Kristian Dacey 3 Scott Andrews 4 Bradley Davies 5 Lou Reed 6 Luke Hamilton 7 Josh Navidi 8 Michael Paterson

16 Marc Breeze 17 Thomas Davies 18 Campese Ma'afu 19 Teofilo Paulo 20 Macauley Cook 21 Liam Davies 22 Ceri Sweeney 23 Tom James
http://www.cardiffblues.com/rugby/6371.php
Image Image
Wee Woman
Lord Chancellor

Post by Wee Woman »

What a cracker picture of wee Oscar & what great news he had this week.

He's an inspiration and a diamond of a wee fella :salut: :salut: :salut:
Mac
Chancellor to the King

Post by Mac »

Wee Woman wrote:What a cracker picture of wee Oscar & what great news he had this week.

He's an inspiration and a diamond of a wee fella :salut: :salut: :salut:
Cracking little Lad :thumleft:
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/ ... 13529.html
Image Image
Mac
Chancellor to the King

Post by Mac »

Thursday 2nd May.............Teams

PlanetR
Ulster have named British and Irish Lions absentee Rory Best in their starting XV for Friday's RaboDirect PRO12 game against Cardiff Blues.

John Afoa, Johann Muller and Iain Henderson all return to the side, while loosehead prop Callum Black is preferred to Tom Court in the front-row.

Robbie Diack and Chris Henry both make their 100th appearance for the province and will start alongside each other in the back-row.

Paul Marshall starts at scrum-half, with Ruan Pienaar moving to fly-half. Stuart Olding who has scored two tries in his past two games, retains his spot at inside centre, with Darren Cave at 13.

British and Irish Lions winger, Tommy Bowe, is selected on the left wing with Andrew Trimble, who has scored ten tries for the province so far this season, starting on the right.

Sean Doyle is included in an Ulster squad for the first time since breaking his leg in October and will start on the bench.

Nigel Brady is also named among the substitutes in what is likely to be his last game at Ravenhill. The 33-year-old has represented Ulster for 12 years and has played 118 times.

Ulster require three more match points to ensure that they finish at the top of the table. Mark Anscombe's team have won their last three PRO12 matches and have lost just once at Ravenhill in the competition all season: 12-16 to Ospreys in February.

Meanwhile, having been selected for the Lions on Tuesday, Alex Cuthbert will line up for the Blues in the last match of their season.

Cuthbert, who has recovered from a hamstring injury, is playing his first game since helping clinch the Six Nations championship for Wales with two tries against England.

Also in the backs Dan Fish starts at full-back having recovered from a shoulder injury. Rhys Patchell and Harry Robinson, who have both been selected in the Wales U20s squad for the IRB Junior World Championships in France, also start.

In the forwards Michael Paterson, playing his last game for the Blues before joining Sale Sharks, starts at number eight.

Josh Navidi, Lou Reed, Bradley Davies and Scott Andrews, who are all included in the 32-man training squad to prepare for the forthcoming two-test tour of Japan, all start. Ceri Sweeney and Tom James, who will be joining Exeter Chiefs, feature on the bench.

The Blues take on an Ulster side that require three more match points to ensure that they finish at the top of the table. The Ulsterman have won their last three PRO12 matches and have lost just once at Ravenhill in the competition all season.

However, the Blues can take confidence from the fact they have recorded two away victories over Irish provinces this season in Connacht (round 1) and Munster (round 13).

Form: Ulster require three more match points to ensure that they finish at the top of the table. The Ulsterman have won their last three RaboDirect PRO12 matches and have lost just once at Ravenhill in the competition all season: 12-16 to Ospreys in February. Cardiff Blues have secured just six league points from their last half a dozen PRO12 encounters and have lost their last three away games in the competition. The Blues only two victories over Irish provinces this season have strangely both been away from home - in Connacht in round 1 and Munster round 13. Cardiff Blues' only victory over Ulster in their last five fixtures was 21-14 at the Arms Park on 17th February 2012.

The teams:

Ulster: 15 Jared Payne, 14 Andrew Trimble, 13 Darren Cave, 12 Stuart Olding, 11 Tommy Bowe, 10 Ruan Pienaar, 9 Paul Marshall, 8 Nick Williams, 7 Chris Henry, 6 Robbie Diack, 5 Iain Henderson, 4 Johann Muller, 3 John Afoa, 2 Rory Best, 1 Callum Black.
Replacements: 16 Nigel Brady, 17 Tom Court, 18 Declan Fitzpatrick, 19 Dan Tuohy, 20 Sean Doyle, 21 Paddy Jackson, 22 Michael Allen, 23 Peter Nelson.

Cardiff Blues: 15 Dan Fish, 14 Alex Cuthbert, 13 Gavin Evans (c), 12 Dafydd Hewitt, 11 Harry Robinson, 10 Rhys Patchell, 9 Lewis Jones, 8 Michael Paterson, 7 Josh Navidi, 6 Luke Hamilton, 5 Lou Reed, 4 Bradley Davies, 3 Scott Andrews, 2 Kristian Dacey, 1 Taufa'ao Filise.
Replacements: 16 Marc Breeze, 17 Thomas Davies, 18 Campese Ma'afu, 19 Teofilo Paulo, 20 Macauley Cook, 21 Liam Davies, 22 Ceri Sweeney, 23 Tom James.

Date: Friday, May 3
Kick-off: 19:45 BST
Venue: Ravenhill
Referee: Neil Paterson (Scotland)
Assistant referees: Sean Gallagher (Ireland), Nigel Correll (Ireland)
Television match official: Simon McDowell (Ireland)
Citing Commissioner: Peter Ferguson (Ireland)
http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,2588 ... 16,00.html

BBC

Ulster welcome back trio for Cardiff clash....................Gilroy Out.....
Ulster have recalled forwards John Afoa, Johann Muller and Iain Henderson to their starting line-up for the Pro12 game with Cardiff Blues at Ravenhill.

Paddy Jackson drops to the bench so Ruan Pienaar and Paul Marshall form the half-back combination.

Winger Craig Gilroy, who has been troubled with a groin injury, is not named in the matchday squad.

Callum Black is preferred to Tom Court in the front row and Sean Doyle is included among the replacements.

Doyle will be hoping for his first taste of action since suffering a broken leg in a club game in October.

Chris Henry and Robbie Diack are both included in the starting XV and will make their 100th appearances for the Irish province.

Nigel Brady is also named among the substitutes in what is likely to be his last game for the club at Ravenhill.

The 33-year-old has represented Ulster for 12 years and has made 118 appearances.

He was part of the squad that won the Celtic League in 2006, and won his 100th cap in the record breaking 41-7 win over Leicester in the Heineken Cup last season.

Luke Marshall and Roger Wilson are the only injury absentees as Ulster aim to finish top of the Pro12 and secure a home tie in the semi-final play-offs.

The Irish province are top of the table, three ahead of second-placed Leinster and four in front of Glasgow.

A win on Friday night would see Ulster face a probable home semi-final against the Scarlets a week later, although the Ospreys could yet sneak into the semi-final reckoning.

The Blues are struggling in ninth position, level on points with eighth-placed Connacht.

Ulster won 48-19 when the sides met at Cardiff Arms Park earlier in the season.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/22365521

Tele

3 views......................
Three former British and Irish Lions – all Ulstermen – have expressed their disappointment, but not total surprise, at coach Warren Gatland's decision not to include Rory Best in his Australia-bound squad of 37.

The hookers berths will be occupied by Wales' Richard Hibbard and English pair Tom Youngs and Dylan Hartley.

Hartley's inclusion ahead of Best adds insult to injury, given that the Northampton man was suspended after punching the Ulster stalwart in the Heineken Cup clash at Franklins Gardens last December.

And back in March 2012 Hartley was banned for two months for biting Ulster's Stephen Ferris in the England-Ireland clash at Twickenham.

The most famous of all of Ireland's Lions, the legendary Willie John McBride – who featured in five trips by the cream of the Home Nations, the last of them in 1974 when he skippered 'The Invincibles' – urged 30-year-old Best not to lose heart.

"I was 34 when I played in my last Lions tour," commented McBride. "He still has time."

Offering Best further encouragement, he added: "Different coaches are looking for different things.

"And when it comes to picking a Lions squad – and I've been involved in that, so I know about it – there are always hard luck stories. There is always going to be somebody who misses out.

"He must be feeling gutted at not being in there but he's not far away, let's put it that way. So my advice to him would be to keep yourself fit. Things happen very quickly, with injuries and God knows what, on tour and I'd say he'd be straight in there if anything happens to any of the others," the maestro said.

"He has tried hard and played hard, but where you have the hookers from four countries involved there is going to be disappointment.

"That's one of the knocks of life and it's sad, but you keep the head up and you keep playing. If you do that it's amazing how fortune sometimes turns in your favour."

Trevor Ringland, who played for the 1983 Lions in New Zealand and against the Rest of the World three years later in the IRFB Centenary match at Cardiff Arms Park, said: "I feel very disappointed for Rory. He really must be gutted. He's a great player and I think he would have done very well with the Lions.

"It's a terrible pity that he's not there. I'd imagine that's one of the decisions Warren Gatland must have taken a lot of time over.

"I think the expectation was that he would go and with them taking three hookers it's really unfortunate that he's not one of them," the wing ace continued.

"He has been a consistent performer over the years and there is no reason to think that consistency wouldn't have continued on this tour.

"If you go back over the years, he has been performing consistently well all that time.

"At this stage of his career, this will be particularly disappointing for him. The work ethic really is there; the work he puts in around the pitch is fantastic and he is recognised as bringing strength to the scrum so he's just a great all-round rugby player."

But flanker Nigel Carr – who has the distinction of having won his Lions cap on home soil in April '86 in that IRFB Centenary match in Cardiff, admitted Ireland's poor showing in the RBS Six Nations Championship did Best few favours.

"I don't think that did his cause much good, or indeed that of a number of Irish players," said Carr.

"But on that basis I suppose if you were Scottish you'd feel even more hard done by. They finished third and have three players in the squad; Ireland came fifth and have nine."

However, Carr highlighted Best's superiority in head-to-heads against Hartley.

"In the Heineken Cup, Rory had a great performance against him, particularly over there in the first match," Carr recalled.

"I don't think Hartley's performances are any better than Rory's and certainly his discipline leaves a lot to be desired. That would be a bit of a concern for me."

Conversely, Carr admitted that Ulster's disappointing showing against Saracens in the Heineken Cup quarter-final at Twickenham will not have weighed in Best's favour.

"After that match my feeling was that if I was picking a Lions Test side, Richard Hibbard would be the number one choice, though Rory certainly would have been in the party with everything to play for based on how he did when they got out to Australia," he said.

"He'll be on the reserve list so there is still a chance if there's an injury," Carr said.

"But I'm sure he had hoped for a lot more – that isn't how he would have wanted to make the Lions squad."
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport ... 33979.html

:Compress: TheFlipSide >skull

WalesOnline

Alex Cuthbert aims to prove Lions fitness in Cardiff Blues season finale .....................
Cuthbert, who has not played since suffering a hamstring injury in the Six Nations title decider against England, will face Ulster for the Blues in the Pro12

Wales wing Alex Cuthbert will aim to prove his Lions fitness when he returns for the Blues final match of the season against Ulster in Belfast on Friday evening (7.45pm).

Cuthbert has not played since suffering a hamstring injury in the Six Nations title decider against England in March where he starred with a two-try display.

Cuthbert is the only Blues Lions on duty at Ravenhill with skipper Sam Warburton, Jamie Roberts and Leigh Halfpenny all rested.

Also in the backs Dan Fish starts at full-back having recovered from a shoulder injury. Rhys Patchell and Harry Robinson, who have been selected in the Wales U20s World Cup squad and Wales senior tour to Japan respectively, also start.

In the forwards Michael Paterson, playing his last game for the Blues before joining Sale Sharks, starts at No8.

The Blues take on an Ulster side that require three more match points to ensure that they finish at the top of the table.
http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugb ... ns-3317506

Farewell to yer "own" seats! :red:
Image Image
Mac
Chancellor to the King

Post by Mac »

Friday 3rd May 2013......................Match Day

SARugbyMag
Springbok scrumhalf Ruan Pienaar chats to GARETH DUNCAN about life at Ulster, fatherhood and the chances of a return to the Sharks in 2014.

How's life in Ulster?
It's been a good change for me since leaving South Africa in 2010 as I've received a fresh challenge and get to experience a new culture with my family. The bad weather is the only downside, but you get used to it. The pressure rugby players get in South Africa isn't as intense over here – the fans make it clear that they back you whether you win or lose. That kind of support helps a lot. I've come across many South Africans during my time at Ulster. [Lock] Johann Muller, [flank] Robbie Diack and [hooker] Rob Herring are currently in the squad, while [fullback] Stefan Terblanche, [flank] Pedrie Wannenburg and [prop] BJ Botha have also played for the club in recent seasons. Seeing familiar faces is always nice and some of them helped me settle in when I first arrived.

You have a 14-month-old daughter, Lemay. How's fatherhood?
She's been a joy to me and my wife, Monique. She helps me calm down before games. I used to be very nervous as I geared up and prepared myself, but since she's entered my life, I find myself playing with her a few hours before kick-off, which releases plenty of stress.

You suffered an injury midway through the season. What happened?
It was nothing too serious. I rolled my ankle after landing awkwardly during an attempted charge-down. I was injured for several games, but have enjoyed a full recovery and am fit again.

You must be enjoying your extended run at scrumhalf with Ulster and the Springboks.
Definitely. It's my preferred position and allows me to work on my strengths. I believe I contribute more in the No 9 jersey. Ulster have needed me at flyhalf sometimes this season, but I don't mind helping out. I like the fact that they see me as their first-choice scrumhalf.

Ulster enjoyed a 16-match unbeaten streak at the start of the 2012-13 season, but slumped in the new year. What happened?
We lost many of our first-choice players to national duty during the Six Nations and to injuries. It was a tough time for the team as we lost our big lead in the Pro12 standings and were knocked out of the European Cup in the quarter-finals [Ulster lost 27-16 to Saracens]. But we've managed to bounce back since then and have qualified for the Pro12 play-offs. Our main goal is to win the tournament.

Are you looking forward to joining the Springboks in June?
I hope I've done enough to get a call-up. It's an honour for me to represent my country and I hope to make a good impact for the Boks this season, if given the opportunity. It has been tough for me since joining Ulster, because I haven't had much rest since 2010 because of the way the European schedule and Test schedule are structured. But I'll always give my best on the field.

When was the last time you spoke to Bok coach Heyneke Meyer?
After the last end-of-year tour Test against England. He told me to keep working hard and that he was happy with what I'd contributed to the team that season. He's a very good coach and he's very passionate about what he does. You can see he loves the game and the players respect him and enjoy playing for him.

Do you still keep an eye on Super Rugby?
I watch as many games as I can and I'm still a Sharks supporter. They'll be disappointed with losing three in a row and their lack of tries, but many of their best players are coming back from injury, so they should return to winning ways soon.

Who are the in-form South African scrumhalves?
Jano Vermaak is probably at the top of the list. He's doing very well at the Bulls and is offering them great service. Cobus Reinach is one of the top finds – he's a talented young scrumhalf at the Sharks. The two Cheetahs scrumhalves [Piet van Zyl and Sarel Pretorius] are also in good form.

You're committed to Ulster until the end of the 2013-14 season. What are you plans thereafter?
I've always said that I want to end my career at the Sharks. When that happens, I can't say now. I'll make that decision with my family closer to the time. One of my biggest goals is to make the Springbok squad for the 2015 World Cup. I might have to move back to South Africa to earn a spot in the team.
http://www.sarugbymag.co.za/blog/detail ... pienaar-qa

Tele

Rory will still be leading us by example: Diack..................
As well as sharing back row duties tomorrow night at Ravenhill, flankers Robbie Diack and Chris Henry will be celebrating their arrival in tandem at a major milestone in their respective careers.

Against Cardiff Blues – the club of four of the recently-named British and Irish Lions – both will clock up their 100th appearances in an Ulster shirt.

But Diack – a South African but now Irish-qualified by dint of residency – knows that in addition to this being a big occasion for himself and Henry it is the start of the healing process for Rory Best following his omission from the Lions squad announced on Tuesday.

Diack has no doubt about the hooker's ability to park his personal disappointment and move on, using what is a hugely important match for Ulster as the vehicle in which to do so. Victory will see the province finish the RaboDirect PRO12 programme on top of the table, guaranteeing them a home play-off semi-final at Ravenhill on May 10.

Best, he believes, will be fully fired by that.

"We're delighted, obviously, about Tommy [Bowe] being selected, but we'd all expected Rory to be in the squad so we're absolutely gutted that he wasn't," Diack said.

"But Rory is the type of guy who will come out on Friday night and have a great game to try and prove those [Lions] coaches wrong. He is a fantastic player and a great leader; I think Ulster are very fortunate to have a player like that around.

"I'm hoping that somehow or other he will find himself on that tour at some stage. I am sure that one day he will be a Lion, he's that kind of player. He's got a lot of talent to give and I believe he will do that.

"He is extremely tough and if anyone can cope with this, he can. He must be extremely disappointed, but I have no doubt he will come out fighting on Friday night."

While the prospect of a home semi-final will motivate Ulster, Diack warned against looking beyond the task in hand.

"It is going to be very tough and very physical. Cardiff have four Lions, including Lions captain Sam Warburton. I don't know what side they are going to pick but whoever they select it will be a very good side wanting to finish their season on a high.

"Knowing that a win would mean a home semi-final is a huge motivation. But we have to win first.

"I think it will be tough for any side to come to Ravenhill and beat us in front of a home crowd so that's a huge factor for us, too. But we can't start thinking about semi-finals or anything else until the end of 80 minutes on Friday night," Diack said.

"It's going to be a big night for me. To be getting my 100th cap in front of a Ravenhill crowd will be special. To be getting it on the same night as Chris – who is not only a team-mate but a friend –makes it even more special."

Australian-born loose forward Sean Doyle is named in the 27-strong extended squad which will be trimmed to 23 at noon today. This is the first time he has been included since suffering a broken leg while playing for Dungannon back in October.
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport ... 37220.html

Rory Best: No-one could look me in the eye... that's when I knew I wasn't going to Australia..................
Rory Best bared his soul last night, admitting that news – by a painful process of deduction – of his omission from the 2013 British and Irish Lions tour of Australia had come as a massive blow.

"It will take a long time to get completely over it," said. Best who won't be on the long haul flight on May 27.

"It's very disappointing, but unfortunately that's sport; you don't always get your own way. Obviously if I was selecting the tour I'd be on it but that's not the way it goes."

Describing how he had learned of his exclusion from the three Tests against the Wallabies on June 22, June 29 and July 6, Best revealed: "There was no advance call.

"Everyone watched in at 11 o'clock and we happened to be training.

"I suppose I just got wind of it by the fact that everyone was avoiding me and no-one was making eye-contact with me.

"As the session went on and we got further past 11 it became more and more obvious that it wasn't happening. Eventually Dan Tuohy just came up, shook my hand and said, 'Commiserations'. That was just it."

Explaining that he had already worked out what was happening Best said: "People don't avoid you when it's good news. It was bitterly disappointing, it really was.

"I left training and went home, spent the afternoon with my family and just tried to not think about it. But at the end of the day it's the pinnacle of anyone's rugby career and you hope and pray you're close.

"You know you're close and you hope you're going to be on that plane and when you're told you're not it's obviously disappointing.

"This sport that I love so much has given me a lot of highs and unfortunately with highs come lows and you just have to take them and try to roll with it as best you can."

Pointing to a shaft of light in the gloom he added: "The good thing with where we are with this Ulster season is that you have to dust yourself down very quickly. We trained today and the slagging nearly started immediately we took to the field.

"You get yourself ready. We have a massive game on Friday night – we have a league to turn round and win now."

Meanwhile, two of Irish rugby's most iconic and inspirational players and characters have spoken out in support of Best following his snub by Warren Gatland.

Leinster talisman and ex-Ireland skipper Brian O'Driscoll, who led the Lions in New Zealand in 2005 and is set to make his fourth tour, and Munster legend Keith Wood – a Lion in 1997 and 2001 and, like Best, a hooker – expressed their surprise at the Ulsterman's exclusion.

O'Driscoll, who has strongly hinted that he will play on for another year under new Ireland coach Joe Schmidt, said: "I thought it was a very tough one for Rory to take; I think he'd been in an awful lot of people's squads. There are always going to be a few surprise exclusions and probably none more so than his.

"I really felt for him, it must have been tough viewing. But when you're talking about 37 players you are going to have some very disappointed high quality players."

Wood was more specific and overtly critical of Gatland's choice of hookers with Best omitted in favour of Wales' Richard Hibbard and English pair Dylan Hartley and Tom Youngs.

"He struggled a bit in the Six Nations with his line-out throwing and lost confidence," Wood admitted, before adding: "If that was the reason for him not being picked, I think it's a bit short-sighted.

"I'm a big Rory Best fan. He is a very good thrower and his skills and ability are permanent.

"I think he has it in his leadership and in his all-round play. He is a really good quality guy and I think all he wants is the Lions – this is the thing that is missing in him.

"There is something vital about him and the way he leads from the front. Ireland suffered a bit this year and I think he has suffered because of the team, not because of himself.

"Being hooker is the loneliest place in the world throwing the ball into a line-out when you don't have confidence," Wood pointed out, highlighting others' failings in that regard.

"Some of Ireland's calling and lifting in the Six Nations wasn't as sharp as it should be, and as the matches were going on you could see his confidence coming down," he said.

"He lost the certainty of where his jumpers were going to be, where his lifters were, where he was going to have to put the ball. You could just see it unravelling a little bit."

But Wood slammed the decision to include Hartley, whose huge problem with self-discipline will be targeted by Australians famed for 'sledging' designed to wind up opponents.

"I would have left out Dylan Hartley," he said.

"I don't know that he has done enough. When Northampton played Ulster in the Heineken Cup this season, Rory Best came out on top on both occasions."
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport ... 37223.html

Indo

Centurion Henry out to move heaven and earth in bid to seal home semi-final....................
Ulster's emerging leadership figure Chris Henry has paid tribute to the influence of his late father ahead of his 100th provincial cap as his side seek to confirm their berth in a Ravenhill semi-final next Friday.

The northern province effectively require three match points to ensure a table-topping finish that seemed unassailably theirs just three months ago.

A late surge of three wins in succession means that they are odds-on to secure a home semi-final – they have only lost once in Belfast in the league all season.

And Henry, likely to be a senior figure on the Ireland tour to North America this summer, is preparing for a moving evening.

"It is going to be an emotional night," said Henry ahead of the third anniversary of his father's death. "Certainly playing 100 times for Ulster is not something I ever thought of reaching.

"I was a late starter – I didn't get my first cap until I was 24. I have never taken anything for granted, as I always had to work hard and then the opportunities came about.

"You only have to look at some of the ages of the lads now in the likes of Paddy Jackson, Craig Gilroy, Iain Henderson and Stuart Olding and how they are able to handle the pressure.

"For me it just took a little bit longer, but I have loved every single moment and every cap that I have won.

"I was so lucky that my parents supported me so well, particularly my dad (Willie), who was my biggest fan starting with mini-rugby at Malone and was undoubtedly one of the biggest influences in my career.

"He will probably be looking down on me tonight and really when you celebrate something like this you think about the people who are close to you and are not here. My dad is always on my mind."
http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/c ... 39401.html

Deans surprised at Best's Lions exclusion...................
RORY BEST'S omission from the Lions squad took the Australian coaching staff by surprise, according to Robbie Deans.

In fact, it had been anticipated Best would not only travel, but would be a strong candidate to start the first Test. Deans highlighted Best's exclusion from the 37-man squad revealed by Warren Gatland as the only real shock.

"One player we expected to see included was Ireland's Rory Best," he said. "The initial reaction is that there wasn't a great deal of surprise. We are pretty familiar with the playing group.

"In this situation, there are always unlucky players when there are so many good players available."

etc, etc.
http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/d ... 36914.html

Examiner

Deans surprised at Best’s exclusion
Australia coach Robbie Deans has expressed surprise at Rory Best’s exclusion from the British & Irish Lions squad travelling Down Under next month.

Despite an indifferent Six Nations with Ireland, Ulster hooker Best was expected to be among the 37 names when Lions head coach Warren Gatland announced his party for the 10-game tour, which begins in Hong Kong against the Barbarians on June 1 and culminates with a three-Test series against fellow New Zealander Deans’s Wallabies between June 22 and July 6.

In addition to Wales’s Richard Hibbard and England’s Tom Youngs, Gatland chose England’s Dylan Hartley ahead of Best, raising some eyebrows in Australia.

“One player that stands out as being really unlucky was Rory Best,” Deans said yesterday. “But overall it’s a very strong squad, a lot of these blokes are experienced touring with the Lions and that will stand them in good stead. There wasn’t a great deal of surprise. There were probably never going to be that many anyway. A lot of the players were obvious picks weren’t they?

“We are pretty familiar with the playing group. In this situation there are always unlucky players when there are so many good players available.”
etc,etc.
http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/rugb ... 30100.html

Times

Ulster seek a Ravenhill Pro 12 semi-final ..................
Province need just three points to finish top of the table and secure a home draw
With two weeks of a break Ulster have had time to think over the permutations and consequences of their final league match. Thankfully for the faithful it is at home and with a semi-final place already booked the idea tonight is to secure a Belfast play-off

Given all the final round of games that matter for the top four places have been scheduled for the same time, Ulster will follow what happens in Connacht where Glasgow play but won’t know anything before their game begins. The Scottish side are within four points of Ulster and one point off second-placed Leinster with a chance of claiming one of the top two places.

Five changes
Ulster go into the match with five changes and one positional switch to the team that defeated Connacht at the Sportsground two weeks ago

Importantly, tighthead John Afoa and locks Johann Muller and Iain Henderson return to the side, although they all came on against Connacht from the bench, while Callum Black is preferred to Tom Court in the frontrow.

Robbie Diack and Chris Henry both make their 100th appearance for the club and will start alongside each other in the backrow.

Paul Marshall starts at scrumhalf, with Ruan Pienaar moving to outhalf, which leaves Paddy Jackson on the replacements. In-form Stuart Olding, who has scored two tries in his past two games, retains his place at inside centre, with Darren Cave partnering him at outside centre.

British and Irish Lions winger Tommy Bowe is on the left wing, with Andrew Trimble, who has scored 10 tries so far this season, on the other side.

Nigel Brady is named among the substitutes in what is likely to be his last game for the club at Ravenhill.

The 33-year-old has represented Ulster for 12 years and has made 118 appearances. He was part of the squad that won the Celtic League in 2006, and won his 100th cap in the 41-7 win over Leicester in the Heineken Cup last season.

Knockout match
Ulster require three more match points to finish top of the table and play their knockout match in Ravenhill.

Ulster have won their last three Pro12 matches but probably more important is the home side has lost just once at Ravenhill in the competition all season: 12-16 to Ospreys in February.

Cardiff, who include Wales right wing Alex Cuthbert, recently named on the British and Irish Lions squad, have earned just six points from their last six league games.
http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/u ... -1.1380748

Newsletter

Centurions want to make sure it is a night of celebration for Ulster..................
New centurions Chris Henry and Robbie Diack insist their milestone achievement night can only be celebrated properly if RaboDirect PRO12 leaders Ulster secure a home semi-final in the Championship play-offs.

The Irish Province face Cardiff Blues in the last of the regular league season games at a sold-0ut Ravenhill (kick-off 7.45pm) needing a win to finish top of the table and securing a home semi-final in Belfast on Friday week.

Ulster, like second placed Leinster and Glasgow in third, have already guaranteed themselves a place in the play-offs, with Scarlets or Ospreys battlling it out for the final fourth place.

With a three point lead at the top, Ulster are in full control of their destiny.

Henry and Diack are likely to lead the team onto the pitch tonight as they each register 100 competitive Ulster caps.

And while both are excited about achieving the milestone, if the result is not the right one then it will dampen the celebrations.

Henry said: “There is a job to be done and that is more important. We want to achieve silverware this season.

“Robbie and I are both delighted to be making our 100th apperances, but if we can play our part in getting the team into a home semi-final then it will make it a night of proper celebration.”

Henry and Diack will start togetherin the back row as they did against Connacht a fortnight ago.

Head coach, Mark Anscombe made five changes from that side which claimed a crucial try scoring bonus point win in Galway.

The big call comes in the backline where Ruan Pienaar moves to outhalf and Paul Marshall will make his 101st appearance for Ulster as starting scrumhalf.

The remainder of the backline is the same, with British Lion and the Celtic League’s top try scorer, Tommy Bowe again on one wing and Andrew Trimble, who has scored 10 tries this season, on the right flank.

Up front, skipper Johann Muller, John Afoa and Iain Henderson start this time around having benched against Connacht as they returned from injury or time off.

Callum Black gets the nod ahead of Tom Court in the front row to complete the changes.

Sean Doyle, who suffered a leg fracture back in October, makes his return to the side and is named on the bench, which also includes stalwart Nigel Brady.
http://www.newsletter.co.uk/sport/centu ... -1-5051422
Image Image
Mac
Chancellor to the King

Post by Mac »

Saturday 4th May 2013...............The Result

Ulster 37 : 13 Cardiff

:red:

Tele

Leaders Ulster set up Scarlets semi........................& round up.
Ulster earned a home semi-final against the Scarlets by seeing off Cardiff Blues 37-13 at a wet Ravenhill to finish top of the RaboDirect Pro12 table.

Two second-half tries from Andrew Trimble and a late score for 100 cap man Robbie Diack helped Ulster on their way after Mark Anscombe's side had trailed 13-10 at half-time against a Blues effort which petered out in the second half.

Ruan Pienaar ended the night scoring 22 of Ulster's total with a first-half try along with four conversions and penalties on a night when Chris Henry also his 100th game for his club.

It started badly for the hosts when Dafydd Hewitt scored by the posts after three minute, but that was their only try of the game, as Rhys Patchell scored a goal, a penalty and a drop-kick in the opening period before Ulster claimed the lead and never looked back.

Leinster rounded off the league phase of the with a bonus point 37-19 win as the Ospreys relinquished their grip on the trophy. The Welsh region stunned the home support when they won a dramatic final at the RDS last May, but they were unable to repeat the feat on a rain-soaked night in Dublin.

A brace of Andrew Conway tries catapulted Joe Schmidt's men into a 14-0 lead, but Dan Biggar and Ben John replied as the Ospreys cut the gap to two points. Jonathan Sexton landed an injury-time penalty to give the hosts a 17-12 interval lead, and Conway's hat-trick score further strengthened their hand.

Sexton popped over two more penalties, either side of a Tom Isaacs try, before Cian Healy came off the bench to run in the province's fourth touchdown late on.

Having lost the last three league deciders, Leinster have unfinished business with the Pro12 play-offs and they will entertain third-placed Glasgow Warriors at the RDS next Saturday.

Munster overcame an eight-point half-time deficit to win 27-25 and ensure minnows Zebre finished their campaign without a single victory. The Italian side looked on course to end a disastrous season with a flourish when they went in at the interval 22-14 ahead.

However, Munster, who themselves have an endured a forgettable few months, hit back in the second half and BJ Botha's 65th-minute try, which was converted by Ian Keatley, gave the visitors the points.
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport ... 41317.html

Indo

Ulster finish top after Cardiff cruise......................
Ulster earned a home semi-final against the Scarlets by seeing off Cardiff Blues at a wet Ravenhill to finish top of the RaboDirect PRO12 table.

Two second half tries from Andrew Trimble and a late score for 100 cap man Robbie Diack helped Ulster on their way after Mark Anscombe's side had trailed 13-10 at half-time against a Blues effort which petered out in the second half.

Ruan Pienaar ended the night scoring 22 of Ulster's total with a first half try along with four conversions and penalties on a night when Chris Henry also played for the 100th time for his club.

It started badly for the hosts when Dafydd Hewitt scored by the posts after three minutes following a break from Lewis Jones when the scrum half broke inside Pienaar. Rhys Patchell added the simple conversion and the Blues were up and running.

Pienaar was then wide with a straightforward penalty three minutes later but made amends after Harry Robinson dropped Hewitt's pass in the Blues 22, allowing Pienaar to collect and score. He added the extras to tie the scores after nine minutes.

Ten minutes later though a Patchell penalty nudged the Blues in front again and then Ulster lost John Afoa to a hamstring injury, though a Pienaar after 24 minutes tied the scores again.

But the Blues got back in front again shortly afterwards when Patchell kicked a neat drop goal and there were no further scores in a scrappy remainder of the half with the visitors leading 13-10.

Ulster hit the ground running on the resumption and after Nick Williams had carried strongly off a scrum, Paul Marshall spun the ball right to Trimble who smashed over and got the nod from the TMO.

Pienaar converted and then added a long range penalty shortly afterwards to give his side a 20-13 lead.

This was then increased to a 10-point lead after Patchell spilt a Pienaar Garryowen and the Blues conceded a penalty.

With the rain now falling heavily, Patchell was wide with a penalty attempt to get the Blues back in the game and Ulster immediately punished his profligacy when a mix-up at the back saw Trimble race on to grab his second try of the night.

Pienaar superbly converted and Ulster now looked secure and out of sight at 30-13 and with both benches beginning to empty the game became even more fractured and scrappy.

Ulster bungled a number of scoring chances and then with Hewitt sent to the bin, Diack charged over at the posts which Pienaar again converted with three minutes remaining.
http://www.independent.ie/incoming/ulst ... 41231.html

Times

Ulster secure Ravenhill semi-final against Scarlets despite wobbly start against Cardiff ....................
Ruan Pienaar ended up bagging 22 points
And so a week of mixed emotions for Ulster over British and Irish Lions selection issues – delight for Tommy Bowe’s selection and bewilderment over Rory Best’s exclusion – came to a positive end with Mark Anscombe’s side expectedly managing the win required to return to Ravenhill next Friday to take on the Scarlets in the RaboDirect PRO 12 semi-final.

It wasn’t particularly pretty, but all that was required was the result and this Ulster duly achieved after a wobbly enough first half which saw them trail 13-10 after an error-strewn opening 40 minutes which also saw the home side unfortunately lose John Afoa to a hamstring problem.

Two tries
They struck out though in the remainder with Andrew Trimble grabbing two tries and then, right at the death, 100 cap man Robbie Diack – Chris Henry also shared the accolade – surged over for the bonus point score.

Ruan Pienaar, who started the night at outhalf, ended up bagging 22 points from his first half try, four conversions and three penalties to steer Ulster home.

Things didn’t start according to plan when scrum half Lewis Jones broke clear on Ruan Pienaar’s inside shoulder and his feed to Dafydd Hewitt led to a shock third minute score for the visitors – who lost Lion squad member Alex Cuthbert before kick-off to his troublesome hamstring – which Rhys Patchell converted.

But Ulster hit back five minutes later after Pienaar had been wide with a straightforward penalty the Springbok scored following Harry Robinson’s ball spill with his conversion tying the scores.

Territorial dominance
Even with their territorial dominance, and scrummaging power, Ulster didn’t push on and Patchell slotted a 20th minute penalty following a lineout infringement.

Things then started to look just that bit grimmer, however, for Ulster as John Afoa then departed to a hamstring injury with Declan Fitzpatrick unexpectedly arriving into the action.

Pienaar again tied the scores with a 24th minute penalty but the Blues got back in front again shortly afterwards when Patchell kicked a neat drop goal.

Tommy Bowe then lost his footing in a straight foot rush with Harry Robinson with the ball rolling over the line and the touch judge overruled any foul play from the Blues winger which seemed like the correct decision despite Ulster’s obvious frustration.

Indeed, with more errors creeping into Ulster’s game there were no further scores and the Blues led 13-10 at the turnaround.

No doubt some harsh words were spoken at half-time and Ulster hit the ground running on the resumption and after Nick Williams had carried strongly off a scrum, Paul Marshall spun the ball right to Andrew Trimble who smashed over and got the nod from the TMO.

Pienaar landed the conversion and then went on to add a long-range penalty shortly afterwards to give his side a 20-13 lead.

Second try
With the rain now falling heavily at Ravenhill, Patchell was wide with a penalty attempt to get the Blues back in the game and Ulster immediately punished his profligacy when a mix-up at the back saw Trimble race on to grab his second try of the night .

Pienaar superbly converted and Ulster now looked out of sight at 30-13 and with both benches beginning to empty the game became even more fractured and scrappy than it had been up to that point.

As the game petered out, Ulster bungled a number of scoring chances and then with Hewitt sent to the bin, Diack charged over at the posts with Pienaar again doing the necessary.
http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/u ... -1.1382350

Newsletter

Ulster seal home semi-final berth with victory over Cardiff........................
Ulster will return to Ravenhill on Friday night to play Scarlets in the first of the RaboDirect PRO12 Championship semi-finals after they eventually put a lively Cardiff Blues to the sword at the sodden Belfast venue.

Two second half tries from Andrew Trimble and a late score for 100 cap man Robbie Diack helped Ulster on their way after Mark Anscombe’s side had trailed 13-10 at half-time against a Blues effort which petered out in the second half.

Ruan Pienaar ended the night scoring 22 of Ulster’s total with a first half try along with four conversions and penalties on a night when Chris Henry also played for the 100th time for his club.

It started badly for the hosts when Dafydd Hewitt scored by the posts after three minutes following a break from Lewis Jones when the scrum half broke inside Pienaar. Rhys Patchell added the simple conversion and the Blues were up and running.

Pienaar was then wide with a straightforward penalty three minutes later but made amends after Harry Robinson dropped Hewitt’s pass in the Blues 22, allowing Pienaar to collect and score. He added the extras to tie the scores after nine minutes.

Ten minutes later though a Patchell penalty nudged the Blues in front again and then Ulster lost John Afoa to a hamstring injury, though a Pienaar after 24 minutes tied the scores again.

But the Blues got back in front again shortly afterwards when Patchell kicked a neat drop goal and there were no further scores in a scrappy remainder of the half with the visitors leading 13-10.

Ulster hit the ground running on the resumption and after Nick Williams had carried strongly off a scrum, Paul Marshall spun the ball right to Trimble who smashed over and got the nod from the TMO.

Pienaar converted and then added a long range penalty shortly afterwards to give his side a 20-13 lead.

This was then increased to a 10-point lead after Patchell spilt a Pienaar Garryowen and the Blues conceded a penalty.

With the rain now falling heavily, Patchell was wide with a penalty attempt to get the Blues back in the game and Ulster immediately punished his profligacy when a mix-up at the back saw Trimble race on to grab his second try of the night.

Pienaar superbly converted and Ulster now looked secure and out of sight at 30-13 and with both benches beginning to empty the game became even more fractured and scrappy.

Ulster bungled a number of scoring chances and then with Hewitt sent to the bin, Diack charged over at the posts which Pienaar again converted with three minutes remaining.
http://www.newsletter.co.uk/sport/rugby ... -1-5053943

Rugby365
Andrew Trimble scored twice in a blistering second-half spell for Ulster who secured top spot in the Pro12 and a home semifinal with a bonus-point 37-13 victory over Cardiff Blues on Friday.

The hosts, trailing 13-10 at the break, proved why they have resided at the summit of the table for most of the season by blitzing their way to 27 unanswered points - wing Trimble the architect.

His efforts were preceded by Ruan Pienaar's first-half try - the South African flyhalf finishing the contest with 22 points in total - as Ulster made it four successive wins in the Pro12 and consequently set up a clash with Scarlets in the play-offs.

Cardiff, meanwhile, extended their winless run away from home to four games but got off to the perfect start when scrum-half Lewis Jones released Dafydd Hewitt to race under the posts within four minutes - fly-half Rhys Patchell knocking over an easy conversion.

Ravenhill was boasting difficult conditions underfoot, as Pienaar found out when he skewed his attempt of a penalty wide on eight minutes, but the fly-half made amends seconds later.

From the restart Blues wing Harry Robinson made an uncharacteristic fumble which allowed the South African to jog his way over the line, and he converted to level the scores.

Patchell, selected in the Wales Under-20s squad for the IRB Junior World Championship, proved his credentials when he slotted home a 20th-minute penalty for the Blues and Pienaar did the same moments later to draw the hosts level again.

Both sides were resolute in defence and, with try-scoring chances few and far between in the first half, the opportunistic Patchell knocked over a superb drop goal just before the half-hour mark to give the visitors a 13-10 half-time lead.

But Ulster, who have lost just once at home all season in the Pro12, stormed out of the blocks in the second half and a stunning 14-minute period brought 20 unanswered points - turning the game on its head.

Trimble grabbed the hosts' second try of the evening three minutes after the restart when he powered his way to the line under three tackles.

Pienaar's boot then added a further eight points - the subsequent conversion and two penalties taking their lead to 23-13 before Trimble went over for his second try on 54 minutes.

Pienaar's high kick brought a mix-up in the Blues defence which allowed the wing to race clear and touch down while Pienaar's reliable boot comfortably converted from the touchline.

Pienaar almost added to his impressive tally but was held up on the line with five minutes remaining before Robbie Diack secured a bonus point with a late try on his 100th appearance for Ulster.
http://www.rugby365.com/article/53668

RugbyRugby
Ulster have been crowned RaboDirect PRO12 league winners after finishing the regular season with a 37-13 victory over Cardiff Blues at Ravenhill.

The Irish province maintained their fine home record with a bonus-point triumph and can now look forward to a home semi-final meeting with Scarlets in the play-offs.

Ulster came into the final match of the regular season needing three points to clinch the title and, with Cardiff's play-off hopes well and truly over, they started as strong favourites to do so.

But the Blues, who had already recorded two away victories over Irish provinces this season, threatened to upset the apple-cart when Dafydd Hewitt crossed inside four minutes.

The home side could have been forgiven for suffering early nerves but that setback simply kicked the men in white into gear.

Trimble brace

Ruan Pienaar swifly wiped out the deficit by converting his own try before trading penalties with Rhys Patchell.

Ulster hit the ground running on the resumption and after Nick Williams had carried strongly off a scrum, Paul Marshall spun the ball right to Andrew Trimble who smashed over and got the nod from the TMO.

Ulster bungled a number of scoring chances and then with Hewitt sent to the bin, 100-cap man Robbie Diack charged over at the posts which Pienaar again converted with three minutes remaining.
http://www.rugbyrugby.com/news/more_new ... ague_title

PlanetR

Ulster finish top of PRO12.....................
Ulster will play host to the Scarlets in their RaboDirect PRO12 semi-final after coming from behind to defeat Cardiff Blues 37-13 at Ravenhill.

Tries from Ruan Pienaar and Robbie Diack, along with a brace by Andrew Trimble, helped a workmanlike Ulster achieve the home semi-final.

This was a fragmented and disjointed encounter, but it will matter little to the Irish side, who have led the league for the majority of this campaign.

A scrappy and uninspiring win it may have been, but the performance was testament to the tenacity and efficiency of the men in white. Ulster, who led throughout the evening, thoroughly deserved their win, but a resilient and physical Cardiff frustrated them every step of the way.

The game got off to an industrious start, with Ulster driving energetically at the Cardiff defence. Even incoming Lions looked jittery, however, as Tommy Bowe dropped a routine ball early on.

Ulster were caught napping on the four minute mark, when centre Dafydd Hewitt sauntered unopposed through the home defence. Rhys Patchell converted to give the visitors a seven-point lead.

Ulster responded in the correct fashion, and a powerful scrum earned them a deserved penalty on six minutes. Pienaar missed the resulting kick, however.

The South African playmaker made amends two minutes later, seizing upon a calamitous error in the Blues' defence to score under the posts. He subsequently converted his effort to make it 7-7.

Ulster seemed to have regained the momentum after a nervy start, but a succession of handling errors undid their hard work. A sublime kick by Pienaar on thirteen minutes encamped the hosts in the Blues' corner to set up perfect field-position. From the ensuing lineout, Ulster failed to control possession, however.

Cardiff were beginning to accumulate some decent possession, and an Ulster infringement saw Patchell restore the Blues' lead on 20 minutes to make it 7-10.

Pienaar secured parity for the league leaders on 25 minutes, following a high tackle on replacement prop Declan Fitzpatrick.

The impressive Patchell regained his side's lead on 27 minutes with a wonderful drop-goal from a good 30 metres to make it 10-13 in favour of the Welshmen.

Cardiff continued their recovery from a sluggish start, and were assisted by a string of Ulster mistakes. The hosts should have secured a penalty shortly thereafter, when Bowe seemed to be taken out with the line at his mercy. But referee Paterson waved play on.

Ulster made a creditable start to the second period, with Nick Williams and his back row colleagues battering the Cardiff defence. Their improvement earned its reward on 42 minutes, when Trimble barged over for a try in the corner. Piennaar converted to make it 17-13 to the Ulstermen.

Pienaar extended the lead even further a minute later, with a well-taken penalty from just inside his own half. Ulster's talisman extended the advantage on 49 minutes to earn his side a deserved ten-point cushion.

Ulster's intensity had increased markedly from an inconsistent first half effort. Cardiff, despite their best efforts, appeared unable to respond.

Trimble scored again on 52 minutes, after winning a foot race with the Cardiff cover. Pienaar converted to make it 30-13. The introduction of Paddy Jackson for the second half aided the crispness of Ulster's midfield passing.

Ulster were now dominating territory and possession, through the deft kicking of Jackson and Pienaar.

The inevitable raft of substitutions, combined with the dreadful weather, disrupted the fluidity of the game, but if truth were told, Ulster were very much in the ascendancy by the final quarter of the match.

Robbie Diack completed the rout on 77 minutes when he crashed over from close range. Cardiff's defence, meanwhile, was not assisted by the sin binning of Hewitt for a rather cynical intervention.

Despite numerous opportunities, Ulster were unable to increase the winning margin, however.

For Cardiff, the loss punctuates a disappointing season for the club, and the Welsh regions in general. For Ulster, on the other hand, this emphatic win guarantees the home semi-final
http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,2588 ... 67,00.html

WalesOnline

Ulster 37-13 Cardiff Blues: Phil Davies' side well beaten at Ravenhill .......................
It was a sorry ending to the season for the Cardiff Blues against a strong Ulster outfit at Ravenhill
As expected the Blues season ended on a low note at Ravenhill where despite putting it up to Ulster in the first half, Phil Davies’s men were unable to halt their hosts drive to finish top of the table and earn themselves a home semi-final.

After putting together an encouraging first 40 minutes, when they led at the break 13-10, the Blues failed to trouble the scoreboard again and their effort fell away badly as Ulster began to turn the screw in what was a largely scrappy encounter which will give Davies much food for thought as he builds towards next season.

It didn’t exactly start according to plan with Alex Cuthbert’s troublesome hamstring forcing the Lions’ squad member to pull out a few hours before kick-off. Even though the Blues management stressed that this was just precautionary it means that the winger has not actually played since the Six Nations decider against England and is hardly ideal preparation for Australia.

Even so, the Blues still managed to get the evening’s first try when scrum half Lewis Jones broke clear on Ruan Pienaar’s inside shoulder and his feed to Dafydd Hewitt led to a shock third minute score for the visitors which Rhys Patchell converted.

But Ulster hit back and five minutes later and after Pienaar had been wide with a straightforward penalty the Springbok scored following Harry Robinson’s ball spill with his conversion tying the scores.

Even with their territorial dominance, and scrummaging power, Ulster didn’t push on and Patchell slotted a 20th minute penalty following a lineout infringement. Things then started to look just that bit more encouraging for the Blues as John Afoa then departed to a hamstring injury.

Pienaar again tied the scores with a 24th minute penalty but the Blues got back in front again shortly afterwards when Patchell kicked a neat drop goal.

Indeed, with more errors creeping into Ulster’s game there were no further scores and the Blues led 13-10 at the turnaround.

Ulster hit the ground running on the resumption and after Nick Williams had carried strongly off a scrum, Paul Marshall spun the ball right to Andrew Trimble who smashed over and got the nod from the TMO. Pienaar converted and then added a long range penalty shortly afterwards to give his side a 20-13 lead.

Pienaar superbly converted and Ulster now looked out of sight at 30-13 and with both benches beginning to empty the game became even more fractured and scrappy than it had been up to that point.

But then with Hewitt sent to the bin, Diack charged over at the posts which Pienaar again converted with three minutes remaining.
http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugb ... es-3408948

Saturday morning wake up call................... :fleg:
Image Image
Mac
Chancellor to the King

Post by Mac »

Saturday 4th May.....................The Result Cont'd

Tele

My heart is with Ulster, says Stephen Ferris............................. :red:
Ulster, Ireland and Lions flanker Stephen Ferris has nailed his colours to the mast in declaring that his heart belongs to his native province.

"I love Ulster," he said. "I love Ulster Rugby. Ulster is my home. It's the place I love."

For months it has been speculated the back row star – a hero of Ireland's 2009 Grand Slam success – will be on his way at the end of the season, with Japan touted as a possible destination.

But even if – as looks increasingly likely – that happens, Ferris is and always will be a proud Ulsterman first and foremost.

Speaking to the Belfast Telegraph at Methodist College's Pirrie Park sports fields just down the road from Ravenhill, he wore his heart on his sleeve.

He was there in his capacity as an HSBC ambassador, to coach disadvantaged 13 to 17 year olds as part of a banking giants-backed Prince's Trust Fairbridge programme under which participants will benefit from exclusive rugby sessions with some of the oval ball game's biggest stars.

Last year HSBC – principal sponsors of the Lions – announced a partnership with the Prince's Trust Fairbridge programme, donating £5 million over five years to support some of the most vulnerable young people in the UK.

The beneficiaries are those who have either been or are in danger of being excluded from school. The Fairbridge programme is designed to help them back into mainstream education, training and ultimately employment.

The aim of rugby training sessions is to help teach the game's core values of courage, discipline and respect to those attending.

Ferris's co-HSBC rugby ambassadors include former Lion Jason Robinson and former dual-code Wales international Jonathan Davies.

Yesterday, when he took time out for this exclusive interview, Ferris spoke about 'we', 'us' and 'our' each time he referred to Ulster for whom he has played on 102 occasions. Everything he said made it obvious this is where his heart lies.

His assessment of Ulster's season told that story perfectly. "I think we've had our ups and downs, like most teams do in a season," he said.

"Unfortunately our period when we weren't firing on all cylinders was probably the most crucial part of the season for us going into the Heineken Cup quarter-final.

"For me, personally, we just didn't turn up for that," he added.

Describing his feelings for the province and the game here, he continued: "I love Ulster, I love Ulster Rugby. I love what Humph (Director of Rugby, David Humphreys) is doing. I don't think he gets enough credit for what he has achieved over the past four or five years.

"Brian McLaughlin as well – the amount of effort and hours that he put in.

"Now Mark (Anscombe, McLaughlin's replacement as head coach) has come in this year and has done a good job, especially with the number of injuries he had in the middle of the season."

Ferris continued: "Ulster is my home. It's the place I love. And I love supporting the boys even though I'd rather be out there playing with them than sitting watching from the sidelines. But that's the way it goes and for me everything happens for a reason.

"I'll make sure that if I get another opportunity with Ulster I'll grab it with both hands and be back in there starting again."

Now what exactly did that mean? Might we yet see Ferris in a white shirt?

Whilst unwilling, at this juncture, to discuss his plans for the future, his reply when asked as to his fitness at this stage was telling, too.

Invited to say when he expects to play again, his immediate response was: "Next season. The start of next season."

But where? Ah, that forbidden territory. So we move on.

"It's frustrating," he said of his latest injury derailment.

"I was out a few years back with my knee so because of that (experience) I kinda understand where I'm at at the minute. It's more frustrating mentally than physically.

"It's grand being able to go in and lift weights. There's been a lot of people injured this season so it has been a little bit easier because you've had different faces coming and going.

"And then to see the likes of Paddy McAllister who didn't touch a rugby ball all season, that puts things in perspective. You could be a lot worse off.

"There have been more tragic things than my injury that have happened in Ulster Rugby this season. You look back on that," he said, as the unspoken words about the tragic deaths of Nevin Spence, his brother Graham and their father Noel tail off.

"I was chatting to Rory (Best) yesterday and he said there's a lot worse things happen than not getting picked for the Lions or being out for six months with an injury.

"That puts it all in perspective. You've just got to stay positive," he reflected.

The opinion of the 2009 Lion on the omission of his Ulster and Ireland team-mate from this summer's squad for the tour of Australia was frank, too.

"I was really surprised. I thought he was a certainty to get selected," he said.
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport ... 39747.html

Ulster comeback seals win against Cardiff.............................
Ulster 37 Cardiff Blues 13: Ulster earned a home semi-final against the Scarlets by seeing off Cardiff Blues at a wet Ravenhill to finish top of the RaboDirect PRO12 table.

Two second half tries from Andrew Trimble and a late score for 100 cap man Robbie Diack helped Ulster on their way after Mark Anscombe's side had trailed 13-10 at half-time against a Blues effort which petered out in the second half.

Ruan Pienaar ended the night scoring 22 of Ulster's total with a first half try along with four conversions and penalties on a night when Chris Henry also played for the 100th time for his club.

Pienaar was then wide with a straightforward penalty three minutes later but made amends after Harry Robinson dropped Hewitt's pass in the Blues 22, allowing Pienaar to collect and score. He added the extras to tie the scores after nine minutes.

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport ... 42214.html

Examiner

Ulster crank it up....................
A lacklustre Ulster finished top of the RaboDirect PRo12 League and booked a home semi-final against the Scarlets next Friday evening after eventually seeing off the Blues last night at Ravenhill.

The home side looked anything like potential champions, however, after a very untidy opening half which saw the Welsh visitors deservedly lead 13-10. But with a 20-point blast in 14 minutes at the start of the second half, Ulster cruised home with Andrew Trimble grabbing a brace of tries, 100-cap man Robbie Diack another and Ruan Pienaar contributing 22 points including the opening touchdown.

Trailing by three points at the break Ulster needed a positive restart. That materialised through the powerful running of Trimble who squeezed over with Pienaar adding the extras as Ulster stretched out a 23-13 lead within nine minutes of the second half.

They pulled further away in the 53rd minute when Trimble grabbed his second try after another trip to the TMO. Diack’s try at the end added gloss to the win.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/rugb ... 30353.html

Newsletter

>6shooter Mark Anscombe hails character of squad as Ulster storm to victory
Ulster coach, Mark Anscombe, hailed the character of his side as they stormed into the semi-finals of the RaboDirect PRO12 Championship with a 37-13 win over Cardiff Blues.

Trailing 13-10 after an uncomfortable first 40 minutes, Ulster came out with steely determination in the second half and scored 27 unanswered points.

A brace of tries from Andrew Trimble during a 14-minute spell at the start of the half took the wind out of the battling Blues’ sails.

Robbie Diack completed the second half rout by scoring the fourth and bonus point securing try.

Ulster, who finished the regular season on top of the table, will now meet Scarlets in the semi-final at Ravenhill on Friday week to see who progresses to meet the winners from Leinster and Glasgow in the final on May 25.

“At the end of the day the guys got over the line. We started out playing in this league back in September and setting the goal of being top of the table and qualifying for the play-offs at home,” he said.

“We have done that. It has been an interesting journey along the way. It was never plain sailing. We had injuries throughout the season but we are getting the right people back on the park now.

“Yes, tonight was not pretty in the first half, but we pulled it together well in the second half. The weather closed in a bit and the ball was slippery.
http://www.newsletter.co.uk/sport/rugby ... -1-5053953
Image Image
Mac
Chancellor to the King

Post by Mac »

Wednesday 8th May 2013

Newsletter

John Afoa injury situation improves, but Kiwi remains a doubt for play-offs.....................
Ulster head coach, Mark Anscombe, remained hopeful that New Zealand prop, John Afoa could still be available for Friday night’s RaboDirect PRO12 semi-final against Scarlets at Ravenhill.

The 2009 World Cup winner retired with a hamstring injury in the 37-13 win over Cardiff Blues last Friday night in Belfast.

Afoa was regarded as 50-50 over the weekend to make, but that had improved to 60-40 yesterday.

Anscombe told the News Letter: “John remains a doubt, but the medics are doing their best to get him on the field for Friday night.

“Certainly the situation was not as bad as it was, but it has only slightly improved.

“But there are a few days to go until the game so we are keeping our fingers crossed.”

There was also some concern over loosehead prop, Callum Black, who suffered a bang to the knee.

“We are keeping an eye on that,” said Anscombe, who has plenty of props in reserve if required.

Ulster did not name a provisional squad on Tuesday, but it was expected that - injury concerns aside - the only significant change would be the return of Paddy Jackson at outhalf.

That would see Ruan Pienaar return to his regular scrumhalf role.
http://www.newsletter.co.uk/sport/rugby ... -1-5070582

Playing in the Ireland jersey a factor in Jared Payne’s Ulster extension........................
Tuesday was quite a day for Ulster fullback, Jared Payne.

Firstly he was called up for the Barbarians squad to play against the British Lions and then he penned a new three year contract to stay at Ulster.

“Yeah to sign the new contract was awesome, I’ve enjoyed my time at Ulster so far and I’m looking forward to the next three years,” stated Payne.

“Three years is a long time and I have already been away from home for two, it was tough but with the team we’ve got, the players we’ve got and the way we are playing made it a little bit easier.”

Payne was born in Tauranga, New Zealand but will become Irish qualified next year and that was one of the reasons why he signed the new deal.

“It’s a long way away and I’ll obviously have to do a lot of work if I want to make the Irish team but it definitely was a factor.”

Payne’s first season at Ulster was a write off due to injury but he’s enjoying his rugby this term.

“It’s been a tough season this year with a few injuries but it’s definitely better than the first one, I’m enjoying my rugby more and more as the weather fines up and bit and the body is feeling better and it helped that the contract came around at this time.”

“It’s great to be involved with Ulster and there are some awesome players, when you have a quality group of players it is easy to resign.”

The former Auckland Blues performances have made him a cult hero among the Ravenhill faithful and he has earned his own House of Payne banner on the terraces.

“It is pretty humbling and it is just awesome to see the way the fans embrace you as an Ulster man and that was a massive swaying factor as well, if you don’t have the fans to support you it’s pretty tough to run out their every night and it’s just a privilege to play at Ravenhill on a Friday night.”

“I met a few people how were street at 8am on Saturday morning lining up for tickets so the fans will be excitied and they will be making a lot of noise for us on Friday night.

Payne will get another chance to run out at Ravenhill this Friday as Ulster host the Scarlets in the Pro12 semi final.

“We are looking forward to it as much as the fans are, it’s going to be a huge challenge against the Scarlets they are quality team.”

“Not to make the final would be hugely disappointing as a group, we not how important this is and we know what a challenge the Scarlets will be and we are definitely not taking them lightly we’ll be on our toes.”

Ulster have beaten the Scarlets twice this season and Simon Easterby’s side come to Ravenhill on the back of an embarrassing home defeat to Treviso but Payne knows it’s about the 80 minutes on Friday and not previous form.

“It’s probably worst that they have had a bad performance because they are going to be that bit angrier have an edge at training this week and in a semi final form goes out the window and it’s a case of who plays the best.”

Ulster have beaten Leinster at the RDS and taken three bonus point wins in their last four league games rediscovering their early season form.

“We still feel we have a lot to work on and we’re still trying to iron out a few problems, the Leinster game gave us a bit of confidence and we’ve kicked on from it but confidence doesn’t really matter when your on the pitch for 80 minutes it’s a matter of putting your best foot forward.”

Payne is looking for to visiting Hong Kong with the Barbarians and meeting up with his old Blues colleague Joe Rokocoko.

“It’s a massive privilege to be selected and it is going to be a huge honour to play for the Barbarians, I can’t wait it is going to be an awesome occasion against the Lions in Hong Kong.”

“I’ve never played with Nick Evans but I’ve played a fair bit with Rocks at the Blues in his last year there and it will be good to get a chat with him and Kahn Fotuali’I as well as I played with him at the Crusaders.”

“There are a few guys in there I know so it is going to be great fun and the Baba’s play an awesome style of rugby.”

“New Zealand is rugby mad so you learn about the Lions and the Barbarians, I was in New Zealand during the Lions tour in 2005 it was an awesome occasion and you can see the importance of it all and it’s just wicked to be involved and will be an awesome opportunity.”

“It will be tough playing against the Lions because they are an awesome team, I just can wait to get out there throw the ball about and play a bit of that Baba’s rugby.”

“At Ulster we maybe aren’t as free as the Baba’s but we also like to throw the ball about, in Connacht some of Ruan’s passes were awesome and if we get the space we like to throw the ball around and do a few fancy things.”
http://www.newsletter.co.uk/sport/rugby ... -1-5070586

Times

Cave looking to extend his season on the double .........................
Ulster centre will be hoping to return to North America with Ireland four years after making his debut there Darren Cave acknowledges the symmetry. In 2009, the British & Irish Lions toured South Africa, while Ireland fulfilled a two Test itinerary to Canada and the USA. The 26-year-old Ulster centre made his debut in the first match and won a second Ireland cap the following week in Santa Clara.

Next month Warren Gatland’s Lions head for Australia after a short pit-stop in Hong Kong to play the Barbarians. Ireland once again head for North America, with matches against the Canucks in Toronto and the US Eagles in Houston. In the intervening four years Cave has added just a single cap, when coming on as a replacement for Keith Earls in a Test against New Zealand last summer.

Brian O’Driscoll will be on duty with the Lions and young Luke Marshall, who made his Ireland debut in the Six Nations, will have the early summer off following a series of concussions. New Ireland coach Joe Schmidt and the man leading the tour Les Kiss, must decide who travels; Cave will be a strong contender.

“It’s a strange feeling looking back to that tour. If you told me at the time that I wouldn’t make a match day squad for a Six Nations game or an autumn international and would win just one more cap as a replacement, I would have struggled to believe it, struggled to accept it.

‘Tough decision’
“I don’t think I took things for granted but what I can say is that if the opportunity presents itself this summer I want to make it as tough a decision as possible for the coaches to make me hand back the jersey. It’s been a long four years.”

He chuckles when it is suggested that he didn’t join in with the Leinster supporters, albeit in the privacy of his home, in chanting, “one more year”, following O’Driscoll’s try against Biarritz. “I was saying, ‘no, no don’t be encouraging him.’”

In maintaining a lighter theme, while Ireland were beating Wales at the Millennium stadium a few months ago, Cave, in his guise as honorary president of the Northern Ireland Blackburn Rovers supporters association, was watching the club beat Bristol City 2-0 at Ewood Park. “Dan Tuohy (Ulster and Ireland secondrow) is a City fan so he copped plenty of flak. ”

On Friday night Ulster host the Scarlets at Ravenhill in a RaboDirect Pro12 semi-final determined to deliver on the form they demonstrated for much of the league proper in finishing top of the standings and embarking on that 14-match unbeaten run at one point.

The disappointing nature of their exit from the Heineken Cup in the quarter-finals against Saracens merely underlines a determination to grab some silverware. The Scarlets suffered a 41-17 thumping at home to Benetton Treviso last weekend, a performance that prompted their coach Simon Easterby to issue an apology to the supporters.

Cave confirmed that this week’s video analysis hasn’t been taken from that match. “There’s no point. It was a one-off. You don’t finish fourth in the league ahead of teams like Munster and the Ospreys unless you are a good side; it’s not a fluke to get that position over 22 matches. Most of the clips we have watched came from their win over Glasgow.

‘More Lions’
“I enjoy playing against Jonathan Davies. He is a special player, one of the best 13s around. He big, strong quick with a good left foot; not many players have his all round quality. You can’t afford to give him and Scott Williams, time and space. The same applies to George North. They have more Lions in their team than we have. We have to control our line speed and have everyone working together.

“We have the quality to cause them problems, sometime I’m sure they’d be quick to acknowledge. If we get our patterns right then we’ll be in a position to manage our expectations.”

The next two and a half weeks will define Ulster’s season, especially if they can rustle up a couple of victories.
http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/c ... -1.1385262

Payne has his eyes on Ireland caps ............................
Ulster fullback Jared Payne, who signed a new three-year deal with the club that will see him remain at Ravenhill until at least the summer of 2016 admitted that the possibility of representing Ireland was a consideration in his decision to agree an extension.

“It’s a long way away and I’ll obviously have to do a lot of work if I want to make the Irish team but it definitely was a factor.” The 27-year-old New Zealand born player becomes Irish qualified on the residency rule next year, having joined the province from the Auckland Blues in 2011.

Payne, who was yesterday selected in the Barbarians squad to face England and the British & Irish Lions, snapped his Achilles tendon just three matches after arriving in Belfast. A beautifully balanced runner and fine footballer he’d added a game breaking dynamic to the Ulster backline.

Ulster have a number of injury concerns ahead of Friday night’s RaboDirect Pro12 semi-final against the Scarlets. John Afoa (hamstring) is rated as a 60/40 chance, Callum Black has a knee injury, Luke Marshall won’t play again this season but Rory Best has shrugged off a knock he picked up last weekend.
http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/p ... -1.1385303

Last four standing do some straight-talking at this captain’s table .......................
Gerry Thornley: Let’s begin with the semi-finals and the first one on Friday, Ulster v the Scarlets at Ravenhill. Home advantage Johann, and you’ve won both previous meetings against the Scarlets?

Johann Muller: “A lot of work has been put in over eight months, so we’re obviously pleased to play at home. But we’ve lost at home once already against a very good Ospreys side, and we drew against Treviso. The Scarlets have done really well over the last six or seven weeks, played some really good rugby, so it’s going to be a tough one on Friday night.”
etc, etc.
Read All - http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/l ... -1.1385330

Indo

Payne targets Ireland call after sealing three-year Ulster deal.........................
ULSTER'S Jared Payne will target Rob Kearney's full-back role for the next World Cup after committing himself to the Irish cause by penning a new three-year deal yesterday.

The stylish erstwhile Auckland Blues player has confirmed that representing Ireland is firmly on his radar and, with just over 15 months remaining for him to complete his residential status, Payne could be in line to play in the 2014 autumn series.

That would leave him with a decent run of games to tackle Kearney's primacy in the full-back role. "I haven't got any long-term goals – I just set small goals and work week to week," said the Tauranga-born 27-year-old (pictured right), whose deft hands and silky running skills could also present him as a possible successor to Brian O'Driscoll in the Irish midfield.

"But it would be nice if the opportunity came about to play for Ireland. In the meantime, it has been a successful season so far and hopefully we can finish the campaign off with some silverware."

Payne, whose first season was curtailed by a snapped Achilles tendon, has lit the fuse for much of the province's fine attacking displays this term and he will be hoping to produce another good display in Friday's Pro12 semi-final clash against Llanelli Scarlets.

"Jared is an exceptional player who is as dynamic with ball-in-hand as he is rock-solid in defence," said Ulster director of rugby David Humphreys. "He is a hugely important member of our squad and I am delighted that he has committed to for a further three years."

Payne will celebrate his new three-year contract by lining out for the Barbarians in their two-match series this summer. The Barbarians play England at Twickenham on May 26, then head to Hong Kong for an appointment with Warren Gatland's Lions six days later. Payne is one of just two Irish-based players included along with Munster's South African prop BJ Botha.

Meanwhile, Ulster's John Afoa remains a concern for Friday's match and, after Scarlets coach Simon Easterby was forced to issue a public apology to supporters after their humiliating home defeat by Treviso, Ulster boss Mark Anscombe has warned his players not to be complacent about the job in hand.

"They have worked hard all year and they've earned the right to be in the semi-final," Anscombe said. "Past performances and games against them (Scarlets) count for nothing. It will be down to whichever team takes their chances and goes about their work in the right way.

"Certainly there has been a good attitude in training this week. You can feel the buzz and the positive attitude. The players are excited and that's what you want.

"It's not about changing anything; it's about keeping our focus and emptying the tank. If we do that, we have a good chance of making the final."
http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/p ... 50116.html

Tele

Young gun Luke ruled out of North America tour..........................
Rabodirect PRO12 Young Player of the Year Luke Marshall will not be involved in Ireland's two-date tour next month.

Ireland – under the tutelage of Les Kiss and minus the nine players who will be in Australia as members of Warren Gatland's Lions party – face the United States and Canada on June 8 and June 15 respectively.

But Marshall will play no part after suffering concussion in three successive matches.

After collecting his award in Dublin on Sunday, the 22-year-old told the Belfast Telegraph: "I don't think the medics are too worried. Obviously they wouldn't want me to be getting another couple of bangs for a while, but I think it's just precautionary.

"I haven't had any headaches or dizziness and my balance is alright so that's all good.

"While every Ireland game is important, some are more important than others and I think they reckoned it wouldn't be the end of the world if I missed these couple at the end of the season.

"I'm 22, a young guy, so maybe a couple more knocks on the head so soon after the ones I've just had could lead to problems. Basically I've been told to take the summer out and then come back for the start of next season.

"I talked to Paddy Wallace and he had a similar situation a while back – a few knocks on the head – but he was in a worse position because he had dizziness and what not.

"He told me that he took 10 weeks off. When he came back he was at full fitness and look at the player he went on to become.

"So that's where I am – taking time out so that I can recover fully and come back in good shape rather than rushing things too quickly."

As for the Young Player of the Year title, he admitted: "I didn't even know I was up for the award. I thought I was coming down here just to make up the numbers. It's nice after getting bad news about not being able to play for the rest of the season.

"It's pretty cool, I suppose. I wasn't expecting it at all. I thought it was going to be Robbie Henshaw. So it's nice, it's good encouragement.

"I suppose it gives you confidence as a player, too, that somebody rates you. Hopefully I can take that on next season and transfer it onto the pitch."

It really has been a remarkable season for the former Ballymena Academy out-half who found himself having to switch to inside-centre in deference to Paddy Jackson's emergence as an Ulster 10.

Wallace's serious knee injury opened the door and the robust midfielder stormed through it, helping himself to three full international caps against Scotland, France and Italy en route before lining out in Ulster's Heineken Cup quarter-final date with Saracens at Twickenham, the occasion on which he suffered concussion number three in as many matches.

"It's been pretty surreal," he said. "I had my aims at the start of the season and I think I've surpassed what I was hoping to do. Hopefully I can get back next season and keep up that good form.

"But I think I'm going to have a fight on my hands for the 12 shirt with Stuarty (Olding) and the old man (Wallace) if he comes back fighting and Chris (Farrell)."

And he admitted that in recent weeks there have been moments when watching Ulster in action has reminded him of just hard he is going to have to fight if he is to regain his place.

"At the start of the season I was looking at maybe trying to displace Paddy and after a couple of Six Nations games I was thinking I was maybe half-way to doing that," he said.

"But now Stuarty has come into the team and he's probably been the stand-out 12 in the British Isles in the past couple of weeks.

"He has been exceptional so that's definitely another one to fight against for the 12 shirt next season."
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport ... 46829.html

Nick deserves all the credit, says Ulster coach Anscombe.........................
Mark Anscombe has praised the RaboDirect PRO12 Players' Player of the Year award winner's work en route to that accolade.

The Ulster coach's working relationship with Nick Williams goes back to when the powerful loose forward was a 19-year-old learning the ropes in the pair's native New Zealand.

And while he has been credited with the miracle he has wrought in getting Williams to achieve more of his enormous potential, Anscombe was keen to dispel two myths: that the player has somehow re-invented himself since joining Ulster following unhappy stints with Munster and now-defunct Italian franchise Aironi; and that, as a coach, he has played some remarkable part in that process.

Anscombe refuses to take the lion's share of the credit for Williams' emergence as a truly outstanding No 8, witnessed by that fact that his fellow players chose him as the winner of their award.

Following Ulster's 37-13 victory over Cardiff Blues on Friday night at Ravenhill – a result which confirmed his side's a home semi-final against Scarlets this weekend – Anscombe was reminded of his role in Williams' recruitment last summer.

"I don't think it's up to me," was his modest answer in the aftermath of that four-try win against Cardiff.

"I mentioned his name and I pushed his case but there are other things and other people have got to be part of the process. It's not one person. We (the Ulster Rugby management team) always discuss and talk about the players we want and need and Nick was one.

"I've known him a long time and I know what he's capable of doing. There are areas of his game where he can be frustrating, but there's a lot of good things about his game as well."

In Sunday night's follow-up at the PRO12 awards in the Clontarf Castle Hotel, Anscombe rebuffed a suggestion by a Dublin journalist that the player had changed in some dramatic fashion.

"I refute the fact that you say he has reinvented himself," he said. "He has never re-invented himself; he's been exactly the same type of player he now is since he was 19 years of age. The fact about Nick is that even today he's got things he has to work at in his game.

"But he's a powerful man and you've got to understand that with Nick he's got to understand the team he's working with. You've got to give him confidence to play. If you're going to put him out there to play a game that doesn't suit him you're not going to get the rewards from that. So it's not about him re-inventing himself or changing; it's a matter of him being in a team and an organisation that understands who he is and what he is and what he brings. If you give him the confidence to perform, he'll perform. He has done that; he's gone close to being an All Black.

"The fact is that if he hasn't done that in other teams it's because they just haven't understood what they're working with and how to get the best out of him."

Warming to the subject of being able to promote a player in whom he always had faith, Anscombe continued: "He's 120, 125 kgs and he's got the skills of a back. So who wants to stand in front of him when he's at full speed? No-one.

"But the other thing about him is that he can be found out if he doesn't do things properly. So like all things with all good footballers you've got to understand what you need to do at a given time and make good decisions, change you skill factor and recognise a situation at a given time to be able to execute a given skill that's required.

"If you give Nick confidence and you give him the self-belief to be able to do those things, he'll make better decisions. But if he's self-doubting himself every time he's got the ball in his hand, you're not going to see the quality of the player he is."

Williams was modesty personified in collecting his reward on Sunday night. Twice he made emotional on-stage references to former Ulster colleague Nevin Spence whose death last September clearly had an enormous impact on the big Kiwi.

Afterwards, Williams reflected: "Individual awards are nice but rugby is a team game and I could not do anything without the others around me."
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport ... 46827.html

Pienaar created my top try, says Trimble.............................
rew Trimble admitted that there was a case for arguing that his RaboDirect PRO12 Try of the Season ought really to have gone to Ruan Pienaar.

It was the Springbok's audacious one-handed behind-the-back pass that released the big Irish wing for a glorious touchdown against Connacht in Galway on April 19.

"It's strange collecting something whenever Ruan really did everything for me and spoon-fed a try, but I'm delighted. Really pleased," he beamed.

Assessing the campaign in which he has bagged 12 tries to date Trimble said: "At the start of the season I had a bit of a hot streak, cooled off a little bit in the new year and then have managed to get over the line a few times recently.

"So I'm really pleased. It's five points every time, whether it's Try of the Season or not."

And with Joe Schmidt having replaced Declan Kidney as Ireland coach, Trimble's hope is that he can resurrect his international career. He needs one more cap to complete his half-century.

"I suppose that just makes it a level playing field all over again," Trimble said. "It's a fresh start and no doubt he (Schmidt) will see it like that.

"But there's no point in having a great season this year, assuming that I've had that with an Ulster shirt on, if I don't back it up next year. So I really want to do that.

"Hopefully if I get the chance to go on tour (to the United States and Canada) I'll do that well and then have a big pre-season and just go again next year."

Emphasising the pleasure he has found in playing for Ulster this term he added: "It's great. It's really good fun. We're playing really good rugby and we're enjoying ourselves so we want to keep doing it as long as we can."

Next up is Friday night's PRO12 play-off semi-final date with the Scarlets at Ravenhill and despite having seen the Llanelli men pick up the Collision Kings Award for their outstanding breakdown play, Trimble was wholly positive in his approach to that clash.

"They're a great side and they can be a real handful so hopefully they won't do that on Friday night," he said. "But at the same time we're just looking at ourselves and saying that if we play the sort of rugby we know we're capable of, any team out there will struggle to deal with us."
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport ... 46882.html

WalesOnline

Ulster face fitness worries before Friday's Pro12 play-off with Scarlets ......................
Ulster will be without Ireland centre find Luke Marshall for Friday night’s RaboDirect Pro12 semi-final with the Scarlets.

And there’s also a fitness doubt over Ulster’s influential tighthead prop John Afoa.

The New Zealand international was forced off with a hamstring injury in the first half of last Friday night’s victory over the Blues in Belfast and could miss the Ravenhill showdown with the Scarlets.

Marshall, a midfield hit with Ireland in this season’s Six Nations and was last weekend named Pro12 young player of the season, is recovering from three concussions and was already ruled out.

He was injured in three matches in a row and remains under medical supervision.

“I don’t think the medics are too worried. Obviously they wouldn’t want me to be getting another couple of bangs for a while, but I think it’s just precautionary,” he said.

“I haven’t had any headaches or dizziness and my balance is all right so that’s all good.

“I’m 22, a young guy, so maybe a couple more knocks on the head so soon after the ones I’ve just had could lead to problems. Basically I’ve been told to take the summer out and then come back for the start of next season.

“I talked to Paddy Wallace (Ulster team-mate) and he had a similar situation a while back – a few knocks on the head – but he was in a worse position because he had dizziness and what not.

“He told me that he took 10 weeks off. When he came back he was at full fitness and look at the player he went on to become.

“So that’s where I am, taking time out so that I can recover fully and come back in good shape rather than rushing things too quickly.”

Marshall didn’t know he was up for a prize at the Dublin-staged Pro12 award ceremony.

“I thought I was coming here just to make up the numbers. It’s nice after getting bad news about not being able to play for the rest of the season.

“It’s pretty cool, I suppose. I wasn’t expecting it at all. I thought it was going to be Robbie Henshaw. So it’s nice, it’s good encouragement.

“I suppose it gives you confidence as a player, too, that somebody rates you.

“Hopefully, I can take that on next season and transfer it on to the pitch.”

Meanwhile, star Ulster full-back Jared Payne has signed a new three-year deal which will keep him at Ravenhill until 2016.

Payne has been selected in the Barbarians squad to face England and the Lions.

The Baa-Baas take on England on May 26 before playing the Lions in Hong Kong on June 1.

Payne joined Ulster from the Auckland-based Blues two years ago, but his first season was cut short after just three matches when he snapped his Achilles tendon.

But the 27-year-old Kiwi has been outstanding this season, scoring eight tries for the Belfast side.

“I am really enjoying my rugby here at Ulster so I am pleased to be staying for another three years,” said Payne.

“We have a fantastic squad of players and we play a great brand of rugby.

“It has been a successful season so far and hopefully we can finish the campaign off with some silverware.”

Ulster director of rugby David Humphreys said: “Jared is an exceptional player who is as dynamic with ball-in-hand as he is rock solid in defence.”
http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugb ... re-3476667
Image Image
Mac
Chancellor to the King

Post by Mac »

Thursday 9th May 2013

Tele

Anscombe confident of positive finale........................
Mark Anscombe basked in the sunshine yesterday afternoon at Ulster's Newforge training base.

Standing on the first-floor terrace overlooking the sun-soaked sports complex he said: "Weather like this always brings a more positive outlook from people. Being able to train in these circumstances makes it more enjoyable."

The vagaries of the Ulster climate being what they are, however, neither he nor his players depend on it for any feel-good factor. Instead that comes from within and with the RaboDirect PRO12 table-toppers' semi-final date with Scarlets at Ravenhill (Friday, 7.45pm) fast approaching, they are gearing up for a very special night at Ravenhill.

This will be the last match before the old grandstand is bulldozed to make way for something altogether more modern.

If it proves to be the occasion on which Ulster book their place in the PRO12 final, that will be a fitting note on which to exit.

A relaxed Anscombe said: "There's a good buzz about the team. We've got a full contingent apart from a couple of niggles we picked up at the weekend so that adds confidence.

"People are contesting for positions and that brings a bit of an edge and excitement and that's good. Unfortunately, that's something we didn't have the last time we were going into a knock-out stage match," he said with a rueful backwards glance at Ulster's Heineken Cup exit last month.

"Hopefully we have learned from that. I think we have.

"We're looking forward to this challenge. You've got to be positive going into a play-off game and this time I think we are.

"The fact that we've come first (in the 22 PRO12 'league' matches) is a plus. We led for most of the year so we've kept our heads above water and finished best of all the teams in it and that has to give us confidence and belief in ourselves."

Asked what has given him most satisfaction coming towards the end of his first season in charge he replied: "The fact that we've played 29 matches and lost only six. That's a pretty good stat in my book, especially when you look at the injury toll we've had to cope with, the guys we have been without and you consider that we've used 48 players.

"We've been without crucial players. We really haven't had Stephen Ferris at all this season. Tommy Bowe missed a lot of it. Chris Henry and Rory Best have not played half the games. We've been without our captain (Johann Muller) at times. Roger Wilson has had a bad time with injury.

"So to have achieved what we have in topping the table is something that gives me a lot of satisfaction.

"We've scored 63 tries in 22 games, which is an average of nearly three per game. Again, that's a pretty good stat when you consider some of the conditions we play in."

And then came the injection of reality when he added: "But we haven't achieved anything yet, other than getting to a semi. Now it's the knock-out stage which means no second chances. If you don't get it right on the night, you're out.

"So the challenge now is to keep this going so that we finish up with something to show for it. Having come this far we certainly don't want to be waking up on Saturday morning with our season over."
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport ... 50360.html

Payne ready to unlock green door...........................
Ulster's Jared Payne had a big day yesterday – and there could be a few more in the next couple of seasons.

Called up in the morning by the Barbarians, that was followed by the lunch-time announcement of a new contract with Ulster.

And now, if everything goes to plan, the Kiwi full-back could be wearing the green of Ireland rather than the black of New Zealand come the 2015 World Cup. The former Auckland Blues player becomes eligible for Ireland in just over a year, which means he could have a full 2014 Guinness Series and the 2015 Six Nations campaign under his belt ahead of the following autumn's global showdown.

Explaining his 'Irishness', Payne said: "I think it takes effect from September 2014 but I'm not exactly sure. It's still a long way away so I've got to make sure I play well enough to be called. If I'm lucky enough to do that, it will be awesome." His standing saw him named in The Barbarians squad for the forthcoming dates with England at Twickenham on May 26 and the British & Irish Lions in Hong Kong on June 1.

Oddly enough he will be hoping to miss the first of those two matches. That is because he wants Ulster to win the RaboDirect PRO12 and for that to happen they must first beat the Scarlets in Friday night's semi-final at Ravenhill and then see off winners of the Leinster v Glasgow clash.

The final will be staged at the RDS on May 25, a day before the Baa-Baas face England, so clearly Payne could not feature at Twickenham.

But he would be able to face the Australia-bound Lions in Hong Kong, with the location and timing working out very nicely for Payne who will be heading home to New Zealand following Ulster's long season.

"There had been a bit of talk about it but I didn't find out until it was announced this morning on Twitter."he said when asked when his Baa-Baas call had come.

Expressing his delight at being called to guest for a team whose name is synonymous with fast, exciting, attacking rugby, Payne – an exponent of just such football – added: "It's an awesome privilege to be invited to play. They like to run and chuck the ball about so it should be quite an occasion in Hong Kong against the Lions. I'm looking forward to it."

Intriguingly, one of the Lions he could find himself facing three weeks from now is current Ireland full-back Leinster's Rob Kearney. Indeed, the pair could be squaring up in the PRO12 final a week before that, too.

Kearney – like Payne a 27-year-old – recently committed himself to a contract extension which will keep him at the RDS until the end of the 2014-15 season. Outstanding for the 2009 Lions in South Africa, a three-times Heineken Cup winner with Leinster and rugby's European Player of the Year in 2012, he is a player Payne must oust if he is to be Ireland's first-choice 15. In addition, Connacht's fast-emerging Robbie Henshaw is going to feature in that fight.

Kearney is in pole position at this stage, however, not least because Ireland's newly appointed head coach Joe Schmidt is a huge fan and admirer having worked with him at Leinster.

But Kearney is not alone in having signed a new contract for yesterday Payne confirmed that he has just accepted an extension which means he will be playing his rugby for Ulster until the summer of 2016, at least.

Payne admitted the exciting brand of rugby Ulster are playing, coupled with their undoubted improvement and the players' desire to continue developing as individuals and as a squad had made the decision straightforward.

"This is a good environment to be in," he said. "The way the boys have been playing and the way we're striving to win trophies and to get better means it's a good place to be.

"Everyone is improving, individually and collectively. You want to be in an environment where people are working to be better. You don't want to be somewhere where people are starting to get bored or things are going a bit stale."

But forget any idea that Payne believes Ulster are nearly there in terms of the standard to which they aspire.

"There's still room for a massive amount of improvement. The players and coaches know that," he said. "How far might this team go? I don't know. But there is plenty of room for improvement and that's the really exciting thing."

The quality of those alongside whom he lines out in Ulster's back three delights him, too.

"The backs we've got at the moment are awesome," he enthused. "They make my job easy. We've got two or three great wingers in this team and it's just good to be able to play inside them.

"We've started to score a few tries again, but there's still a long way to go. We're still missing a lot, too, so we're just trying to get to the point where we nail more opportunities than we miss. We're playing pretty well, but that's another of those areas where we can be better."
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport ... 50362.html

Times

Williams wins IRUPA Players Player Award ....................
Ulster number eight becomes second overseas player to scoop prestigious honour.
SLIM.jpg
SLIM.jpg (62.74 KiB) Viewed 1646 times
When Nick Williams signed for Ulster in June last year from Aironi, you’d have been given long odds indeed, especially within the environs of Munster, on the one-time Junior All Black being voted the player of the year by his fellow players.

It’s not that overseas players have been overlooked – Isa Nacewa scooped the prestigious award in 2011 – more that Williams did not exactly leave an indelible impression in his two years with Munster, circa 2008 to 2010. He played just 19 games for Munster, scoring four tries – three of them in one game against the Dragons.

Even sceptical Ulster fans who had glimpsed the burly New Zealander – allowing for his considerable 6ft 3in and 18st 12lbs – would have envisaged him being back-up to the prodigal Roger Wilson.

Far from it. Such has been the rejuvenated 29-year-old’s form he has surpassed those statistics in his first season with Ulster, scoring seven tries in 21 appearances and winning seven Man of the Match awards, and accordingly, last night Williams took the Hibernia College IRUPA Players’ Player of the Year 2013 voted by his fellow players at the 11th annual awards ceremony at the Burlington Hotel. This augments the RaboDirect Pro12 Player of the Year award Williams received last Sunday night.

North Harbour
New Zealand born, of Fijian extraction, Williams had played under Ulster coach Mark Anscombe when they were at North Harbour and Anscombe clearly knows how to extract the best from him.

For a one-time All Blacks contender, who made 37 appearances with Auckland Blues, his arrival in Ulster after two years with the now extinct Aironi must have also felt like a last-chance saloon.

His bustling, all-action carrying and try-scoring surges close to the line quickly endeared him to the Ravenhill public, where he has filled the void left by Stephen Ferris to a degree.

A humble and somewhat shy man in public, he is hugely popular amongst team-mates and supporters alike, and quickly became an invaluable source of go-forward ball and points for his new team.

Indeed, when he suffered medial ligament damage to his left knee in Ulster’s Heineken Cup win over Glasgow at Ravenhill on January 11th and was sidelined for nine weeks, his team won only one of five games.

Having been chosen ahead of the shortlisted Cian Healy and Simon Zebo, Williams said: “It is an honour to be recognised with this award, especially as it’s voted for by the players”.

His Ulster team-mate and Ireland winger Craig Gilroy won the VW Try of the Year for his score on his Ireland debut against Argentina in November, while Connacht’s Robbie Henshaw was also among those recognised when he was awarded the Nevin Spence Young Player 2013, named in honour of the Ulster centre who won this award two years ago.

Joining Ireland’s heroes in the BNY Mellon IRUPA Hall of Fame was former Leinster and Ireland winger Denis Hickie.
Players’ Player Of The Year : Nick Williams (Ulster). Nominations: Williams, Cian Healy (Leinster), Simon Zebo (Munster).
Nevin Spence Young Player of the Year: Robbie Henshaw (Connacht). Nominations: Henshaw, Ian Madigan (Leinster), Luke Marshall (Ulster).
Try of Year: Craig Gilroy (Ireland v Argentina, Autumn Series). Also nominated: Ian Henderson (Saracens v Ulster, Heineken Cup); Simon Zebo (Ireland v Wales, Six Nations).
Medal For Excellence: Isaac Boss (Leinster). Nominations: Boss, Chris Henry (Ulster), Marcus Horan (Munster).
Hall of Fame: Denis Hickie (Leinster).
Unsung Hero: Billy Holland (Munster). Nominations: Holland, Nigel Brady (Ulster), Michael Swift (Connacht).
Supporters’ Player Of The Year: Simon Zebo .
http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/w ... -1.1386494

Newsletter

Ulster double act at annual IRUPA Rugby Awards.....................
Days after being named the RaboDirect PRO12 players’ player of the year, Ulster No.8 Nick Williams was voted the Hibernia College IRUPA Players’ Player of the Year 2013 by his fellow players at the 11th annual awards ceremony in Dublin last night.

This is only the second time an overseas player has won the top accolade and is just reward for his consistent but also outstanding performances for Ulster this season. He scored 7 tries in his 21 appearances for the province.

Ulster team mate and Ireland winger Craig Gilroy won the VW Try of the Year for his great score for Ireland against Argentina in the Autumn International Series. Connacht’s Robbie Henshaw was also among those recognised when he was awarded the Nevin Spence Young Player 2013.

Nick was delighted to receive the award and said: “it is an honour to be recognised with this award, especially as it’s voted for by the players”. As well as the honour of being Player of the Year, Nick and all the winners receive an inscribed Citizen Skyhawk watch kindly provided by Fields Jewellers.

Joining Ireland’s heroes in the BNY Mellon IRUPA Hall of Fame was Leinster and Ireland winger Denis Hickie. Munster’s Billy Holland collected the O2 Unsung Hero Award, voted for by the public on the O2 Ireland Facebook and Twitter accounts. Simon Zebo was presented with the Newstalk106-108fm Supporters Player of the Year as chosen by listeners of Off the Ball.

Leinster’s Isaac Boss was awarded the Hibernia College Medal for Excellence, which rewards on field effort combined with off field commitment to the game. Nominees were voted by their peers but were also judged on their contribution to the sport through community involvement, education, work and charitable initiatives.

Omar Hassanein, CEO of IRUPA said: “I am delighted for Nick, this award is a superb reflection of the wonderful season he has enjoyed with Ulster Rugby. Winning an IRUPA award is the highest honour a player can receive, Nick and all the winners and nominees have the total respect of those who they play with and against”.

Dr. Sean Rowland, President and founder of Hibernia College said: “We would like to congratulate Nick Williams on being voted the Hibernia College IRUPA Player’s Player of the Year 2013. We look forward to celebrating with Nick and all the players that have been nominated at the Hibernia College IRUPA Awards”.
http://www.newsletter.co.uk/sport/rugby ... -1-5071720

Times

Scarlets hoping to have North on their side when they take on Ulster in Ravenhill ...................
Llanelli may welcome back Rhys Priestland but will go to Belfast lacking confidence.
Had Llanelli coach Simon Easterby no concerns about what injured players were available to him this week, the alternative might have been to dwell on last week’s withering result.

Llanelli shipped a record home defeat, 41-17, to Treviso in Parc y Scarlets. To compound matters, Wales and Lions winger George North sloped off injured after a blow to the chest.

Easterby has spent this week hoping North will have recovered for his team’s visit to Belfast tomorrow, the giant wing reporting breathing difficulties after the game.

While the coach has consoled Lions boss Warren Gatland by insisting North has no long-lasting complaints, he is leaving it until today to decide if he can play against Ulster in what could be a fraught Pro12 semi-final for the Welsh team.

“George has trained this week. He took a heavy bang to the sternum but he’s been good.” said Easterby. “There are a few sore bodies and we will probably wait until Thursday before naming our team.”

Priestland
More positive news for Easterby is outhalf Rys Priestland is in position to make his first start since recovering from major surgery. Priestland has played just 52 minutes of rugby, as a substitute, since recovering from the Achilles tendon injury suffered before Christmas.

The Welsh outhalf missed his country’s Six Nations title defence and given last week’s poor performance is now ready to return, while captain Rob McCusker is expected to recover from the damaged ribs that kept him out of the Treviso debacle.

Morale clearly could be an issue in Ravenhill against an Ulster side waiting on the fitness of tighthead prop John Afoa, who has injured a hamstring.

More pertinently, Mark Anscombe’s team have lost just once at Ravenhill all season: 12-16 to Ospreys in February.

“We need to use it as a bit of a motivator and show this Friday we are deserving of being a top-four side and of wearing the jersey,” said Easterby. “We mustn’t forget what got us into the position. When all the emotion dies down and the annoyance subsides a little bit, it’s about working on the next game, which is Ulster.

“We can’t afford what happened against Treviso to happening again. It was unacceptable in many ways. We made poor decisions and that fed Treviso. I’m not sure we were complacent, but I think we took our eye off the ball a little bit.

Battering
“Sometimes you go into a game expecting things to happen and they did not. That clearly won’t be the case in Ulster. We have already been there this season and came away with a battering. If we are not on the money and not accurate things like that can happen.”

Ulster have won both of their league fixtures this season against the Welsh side – 19-12 at Parc y Scarlets in December and a landslide 47-17 at Ravenhill in January. But despite that, Anscombe has been preaching caution to his players this week and highlighting the perils of complacency.

Ulster don’t need to change anything and as Anscombe has pointed out, it’s about Ulster “keeping our focus and emptying the tank”.

Llanelli held on to fourth spot in the table by virtue of Pro12 champions Ospreys being beaten by Leinster last week at the RDS.

Apart from a possible last final fling for a Dublin final, they travel to Ravenhill clearly holed beneath the waterline, even if North and Priestland both make the squad.

“What happened was embarrassing, there’s no hiding from that, but we have to take what we have done right to get there,” added Easterby. “Ulster have gone well this year. They went 12 games unbeaten at the start of the season.

“They’re a quality outfit. They have got individuals who do some damage for them. Ruan Pienaar, in particular, is a key player, Johann Muller, Nick Williams and Jared Payne at fullback, the spine of their team.

“They are pretty good at Ravenhill,” added the former Ireland flanker. “But that’s the beauty of this game, things can change in a week.”
http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/s ... -1.1386450

BBC

Simon Easterby says Scarlets can bounce back against Ulster.....................
Scarlets coach Simon Easterby hopes his players can turn the embarrassment of their drubbing by Treviso into a Pro12 semi-final triumph against Ulster.

The Welsh region suffered a humiliating 41-17 home defeat against Treviso in the last game of the regular season.

The Scarlets qualified for Friday's semi-final in Belfast because Ospreys lost 37-19 in Leinster.

"We're lucky that we've got an opportunity seven days later to put things right," said coach Easterby.

"It's not pretty viewing having watched the footage back.

"I think all the players have understood the lack of quality and intensity that we brought to that game, and that showed in the result in the end.

"It would have been a disaster if we had found out that the Ospreys had won in Leinster and we'd have had to wait three months to rectify that performance."

Friday's loss against Treviso marred a game when the Scarlets were saying goodbye to Welsh internationals George North and Matthew Rees, who were playing their last home games before departing.

Easterby says the poor display has left the players determined to make amends.

"There's been a bit of an edge to them this week because of the embarrassment of the Friday," he said.

"This week has been more about them driving themselves. Reputations are really hard to come by, but they're easily broken down as well and to a man these guys are prepared to go there and put in a performance that's worthy of the jersey and worthy of a top four spot.

"Sides have shown in the past and we've shown in the past that every week is different and we have an opportunity to go to Ulster probably as underdogs but to give a far better account of ourselves.

"I still think we can go there and win and the players feel that way, but they have to get a lot of things right and improve a lot of the things that we didn't get right against Treviso."
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/22452092

ThisIsSouthWales

Josh Turnbull: 'We all need to put our hands up...........................
THE Scarlets fly to Belfast today with flanker Josh Turnbull insisting the players are ready to front up at Ulster's Ravenhill stronghold.

A RaboDirect Pro12 Grand Final place is on the line tomorrow evening with the West Walians rank outsiders to upset an Ulster side who have topped the league standings for the majority of the season.

Out-muscled on their own patch by Treviso last weekend, the Scarlets are determined to banish the demons of that 41-17 hammering.

And Turnbull believes the squad can take heart from other against-the-odds victories they have already achieved in the Pro12 this season.

"After last Friday's game, Simon (Easterby) said just go and have look in the mirror and come back on Monday knowing you have got to put things right for this weekend. It is down to us to go there and prove everyone wrong and there have been times this season when we have done that," said Turnbull.

"Ulster have been the form team, they have been the front runners from the start, but we have done the double over Munster and done the double over Glasgow this season. We know we are capable of producing a performance and getting a victory.

"Sometimes this group of players perform better when there is pressure on them. People have written our scrum off and we have turned that into a bit of a weapon this year, our line-out is the best in the league, Danny Wilson (forwards coach) has really put pressure on the boys to know their roles.

"Ulster have got a good set-piece and we know we have to front up, we know we have stop someone like Nick Williams at source, while Ruan Pienaar dictates a lot of what they do and stopping him will help us as well.

"It all comes down to individual battles. If you get the better of your opposite number and you come off that pitch knowing you have given everything, hopefully that will be enough to give us that victory."

Turnbull will be among a host of Wales internationals on display at Ravenhill, but he won't be on his travels this summer having taken the decision to undergo surgery on a troublesome injury.

The 25-year-old wouldn't disclose the nature of the problem, but said: "I have had a pre-existing injury and have pre-booked some surgery. I pretty much ruled myself out of going on tour so I could get this sorted out before the beginning of next season so I come back fresh.

"To be fair, the physio department here and with Wales have been brilliant and they have managed it so I can play week in, week out.

"I have had it for a while, I had it through the Six Nations, but it has come to a point where it is niggly and I need to sort it out.

"All credit to the young players who have made the training squad for the Japan tour, they have worked hard throughout the season and they deserve their opportunity.

"But for me, it was about getting this injury sorted so I could come back stronger next season, not miss any Scarlets rugby, and push for the autumn internationals and Six Nations."
http://www.thisissouthwales.co.uk/story ... z2SiDgbt7o

WalesOnLine

Scarlets star Jonathan Davies puts Lions aside for Pro12 play-off showdown ...........................
Wales centre Jonathan Davies insists he's solely focused on getting the Scarlets into the Pro12 final this week.
Jonathan Davies will put the Lions on the back-burner as the Scarlets attempt to overcome the odds by upsetting favourites Ulster in their RaboDirect Pro12 semi-final at Ravenhill on Friday night.

“You just have to concentrate on your job for the Scarlets,” said the centre.

The two-time Six Nations title winner had flown under the radar this season with the ball not coming his way as much as he would like at regional or international level.

But the dangerous attacker and strong defender was always a certainty for a place in Warren Gatland’s 37-strong party for the Lions tour of Australia.

His development and performances have made him a favourite of the coach and he will be a firm contender for a starting spot in the three Tests with the Wallabies.

But Davies and his Scarlets team-mates have a more immediate task on their minds, how to recover from a shambolic, record defeat at Parc y Scarlets, 41-17 against Treviso last weekend in their final match of the Pro12 season.

They still made the title play-offs, thwarting the hopes of neighbours Ospreys becoming the first team to successfully defend the championship, but will need to find top form to have any chance of beating table-toppers Ulster in Belfast.

“Doing the best I can for the Scarlets is important for me. We’ve had a few important games so it was easy to focus on those,” said 25-year-old Davies.

It’s the first time the Scarlets have made the Pro12 play-offs but they will fly across the Irish Sea with even their most ardent supporters fearing the worst.

There’s been much soul-searching in the west Wales region’s camp since their shocking capitulation against Treviso with coach Simon Easterby issuing a public apology to disgruntled supporters.

“As soon as the game finished there was a lot of silence in the changing room,” said Davies’ Wales colleague Josh Turnbull.

“Simon said just go and have look in the mirror and come back on Monday knowing you have got to put things right for this weekend.

“From my personal point of view I went out there knowing we had to get a job done and get a ‘W’ (win) because we knew the Ospreys were capable of going out to Dublin and getting a win after what they did in the final last year.

“I don’t think the group were under any illusions, Treviso just turned up and played some pretty good rugby and put us under the pump. I don’t think we were expecting that.”

Back-row forward Turnbull – he can also fill in at lock – insists the Scarlets do possess the personnel to trouble Ulster.

“Sometimes this group of players perform better when there is pressure on them,” he declared.

“People have written our scrum off and we have turned that into a bit of a weapon this year, our lineout is the best in the league, to be fair Danny Wilson (forwards coach) has really put pressure on the boys to know their roles.

“Ulster have been the form team for the last couple of years, a Heineken final last year and have been the front runners from the start of the league, winning eight or nine on the bounce at the start.

“They are no mugs, they have got a good set-piece and we know we have to front-up.

“It is down to us to go there and prove everyone wrong and there have been times this season when we have done that.

“We have done the double over Munster and Glasgow. What we have to do is go there and prove everyone wrong. We know we are capable of producing a performance and getting a victory.

“Hopefully we can produce the ball for what people say is one of the best backlines in Europe to play with.”

It will be the job of the Scarlets’ back row to curb Ulster ball-carrier Nick Williams, who ran amok during a 47-17 rout of them at Ravenhill last January, and play-maker Ruan Pienaar.

“Williams is one of their main ball-carriers and we have to stop him at source. Ruan Pienaar dictates a lot of what they do. Stopping him will also help us,” declared Turnbull.

“It all comes down to individual battles, if you get the better of your opposite number and you come off that pitch knowing you have given everything, hopefully that will be enough to give us that victory.”

Although Turnbull has featured in a variety of positions this season, he would like his future to be at blindside flanker.

“It is not ideal being moved around to different positions. I would like to nail down that six slot,” he said.

“I have always known I will never be an out-and-out seven, but have always been willing to do the job here.

“There is stiff competition here especially with Aaron Shingler and the way he is playing, but the competition drives everyone.

“The Scarlets have tried to accommodate three sixes in myself, Rob McCusker and Shingler, and have tried to utilise us for the best of the team.

“I have found myself playing a lot of seven. We all have different parts of our game that we are good at.

“Shingler is versatile as well and is very good at lineout, McCusker carries hard, does a lot of the hard graft people don’t see on the floor, and I think I can compete quite well at the contact area.”

Turnbull will miss Wales’ summer tour of Japan after being booked in for an operation.

“I don’t want to disclose what the injury is,” he said.

“I pretty much ruled myself out of going on tour so I could get this sorted out before the beginning of next season so I come back fresh and stronger.

“I want to push for the autumn internationals and Six Nations. It was a tough choice. I have had the injury for a while, I had it through this season’s Six Nations.”
http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugb ... ts-3476684
Image Image