USA v Ireland

Stuff from around the world.

Moderator: Moderators

CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Re: USA v Ireland

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

Caveman sadly doesn't look like an international 13. Very disappointing, altho the distribution from Boss, and hence Madigan was partly to blame. However, Olding was everywhere and is star quality in the making. Hendo was decent, and thought Small p's cameo a decent contrast to Boss labouring- and his break was as predictable as it was a little thing of rare beauty in a dull bish, bash bosh game. Heaney, however, looks a better bet long-term, after watching him against Georgia. Sadly Big Lew, wasn't at the races against a mediocre pack.

Shock horror, I actually was impressed by POM at 8. Fair play. That looks like his future spot. Leave 6 to SOB, FEZ, Hendo...
Exterminate all rational thought
bazzaj

Post by bazzaj »

BaggyTrousers wrote:FFS the worst penalty ever given for not rolling away, joke after a great turnover from Henderson. 9-15

12-15 and a dismal watch to date , 8 minutes to bedtime.

Strauss concees a free kick for not liking a ball to throw in. Ref is a bit sad.
Still prefer to watch that to the Lions Bagster?
Sorry mate couldnt resist.
I thought initally we had lost judging by the comments as I didnt see it nor do I intend to having read this thread as it sounded more fun on ceefax.
Think I will stick to watching the big guns of the game battle it out.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Thee Irish backs never got into the game because Ireland never had control of the ball at the base of the ruck.

The lack of control was due to what some might like to think of as counter rucking which actually was on most occasions either coming in from the side or off side or a combination of both.

The fact that the USA Captain cleverly exploited his right for clarification of a decision in front of a crowd of USA supporters whose knowledge of the laws could be minimal put the referee under a great deal of pressure as to whether to penalise the USA or just allow both sides to be totally physical at the breakdown -- he appeared to take the second option since to do other wise would have ended up with a game of penalties .

Why Ireland failed in the line out is a bit of a mystery where the presence of Toner should have given Ireland a strong advantage

The game was basically a hard physical encounter due in part to a referee whose performance was influence by the location and nature of the opposition. I am not saying he was a "homer" just that he did a reasonable job in difficult circumstances to provide a game.

For me the man of the match was Olding who put in a couple of try saving tackles and faced up manfully to a heavy powerful USA back line.
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Kofi Annan
Lord Chancellor

Post by Kofi Annan »

rumncoke wrote:Thee Irish backs never got into the game because Ireland never had control of the ball at the base of the ruck.

The lack of control was due to what some might like to think of as counter rucking which actually was on most occasions either coming in from the side or off side or a combination of both.

The fact that the USA Captain cleverly exploited his right for clarification of a decision in front of a crowd of USA supporters whose knowledge of the laws could be minimal put the referee under a great deal of pressure as to whether to penalise the USA or just allow both sides to be totally physical at the breakdown -- he appeared to take the second option since to do other wise would have ended up with a game of penalties .

Why Ireland failed in the line out is a bit of a mystery where the presence of Toner should have given Ireland a strong advantage

The game was basically a hard physical encounter due in part to a referee whose performance was influence by the location and nature of the opposition. I am not saying he was a "homer" just that he did a reasonable job in difficult circumstances to provide a game.

For me the man of the match was Olding who put in a couple of try saving tackles and faced up manfully to a heavy powerful USA back line.
I am an Ulster supporter , therefore I know more about the laws of the game than them colonial upstarts, fûck me sideways, arrogance or what. :roll:
“For the liespotter who knows how to listen well, the random words, sounds, and phrases in a person's speech are never as random as they seem. They offer a clear sightline into the liar's psyche.”
scrum5
Lord Chancellor

Post by scrum5 »

Hugely physical game by the USA, Manoa and Cleverly especially, thought his YC was harsh let alone being cited as I thought he brought Toner down safely.... really poor game, hoping the U20's will be better, couldn't be any worse.
In memory of Nevin Spence 1990- 15th Sept. 2012
Axel..... 30 October 1973 - 16 October 2016
Pedrie Wannenburg. 2 January 1981 - 22 April 2022.
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

So was it on TV?
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Kofi Annan
Lord Chancellor

Post by Kofi Annan »

BR wrote:So was it on TV?

Was what on TV
“For the liespotter who knows how to listen well, the random words, sounds, and phrases in a person's speech are never as random as they seem. They offer a clear sightline into the liar's psyche.”
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Kofi Annan wrote:
BR wrote:So was it on TV?

Was what on TV
The last 8 minutes of the Houston test match.
www.stoutboys.co.uk
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

bazzaj wrote:
BaggyTrousers wrote:FFS the worst penalty ever given for not rolling away, joke after a great turnover from Henderson. 9-15

Strauss concees a free kick for not liking a ball to throw in. Ref is a bit sad.
Absolutely Jizzbeg, if the Lions were on at 1.30 am I would have been snoring happily, just because it was a dreadful match doesn't change anything, give me my team to watch any day of the week than a gather up, many of whom I despise.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

scrum5 wrote:Hugely physical game by the USA, Manoa and Cleverly especially, thought his YC was harsh let alone being cited as I thought he brought Toner down safely.... really poor game, hoping the U20's will be better, couldn't be any worse.
No, yellow card all day long but nothing more in mine. He kind of brought him down, certainly didn't drop him but he did lift Toner's leg & then the rest of the big lad, then when they were down he gave a bit of a tousle as if to say, "howdya like them apples mate".
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Kofi

Those who know would tell you I am not arrogant an"or what" maybe but not arrogant . The statement is a recognition of the pressure the ref was under being in charge of a match where possibly for 75% of the crowd it was their first time at a rugby International or even a rugby match and why he fail to referee offside and "in at the side" at the breakdown because if he had then their would have been no game .

The referee gave the crowd a game maybe not the game we would want to see but a game of physical contact and competition at the breakdown.

In a different environment he may have refereed the game differently
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Kofi Annan
Lord Chancellor

Post by Kofi Annan »

rumncoke wrote:Kofi

Those who know would tell you I am not arrogant an"or what" maybe but not arrogant . The statement is a recognition of the pressure the ref was under being in charge of a match where possibly for 75% of the crowd it was their first time at a rugby International or even a rugby match and why he fail to referee offside and "in at the side" at the breakdown because if he had then their would have been no game .

The referee gave the crowd a game maybe not the game we would want to see but a game of physical contact and competition at the breakdown.

In a different environment he may have refereed the game differently
Your assumption that 75% of the crowd being first timers is based on what, I totally disagree with that assumption, in fact I would tend to think the majority would be rugby types.
bazzaj

Post by bazzaj »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
bazzaj wrote:

Absolutely Jizzbeg, if the Lions were on at 1.30 am I would have been snoring happily, just because it was a dreadful match doesn't change anything, give me my team to watch any day of the week than a gather up, many of whom I despise.
I just like the idea of supporting a side with Irish players involved who could actually win something and play decent rugby Bagster.
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

There's a reasonable quality of rugby in TX.

You could well find that the % of 'under-educated' supporters was higher amongst the Irish/Oirish supporters at the game.
www.stoutboys.co.uk
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

bazzaj wrote:I just like the idea of supporting a side with Irish players involved who could actually win something and play decent rugby Bagster.
I'd never watch the Lions if Ireland were playing at the same time.
I'd never watch Ireland if Ulster were playing at the same time. :fleg:
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall