B&I Lions 2013 Thread

Stuff from around the world.

Moderator: Moderators

BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: B&I Lions 2013 Thread

Post by BaggyTrousers »

tigerburnie wrote:Crofts take at the back of the line and then feeds to Youngs to score under the posts is a great example of why Croft must start on Saturday. Along side Lydiate and Heaslip that is our best back row for balance and winning the vital ball.
Youngs and Farrell at half backs on this showing, not a Farell fan but he's putting his hand up today.
Tricky this, I haven't yet watched the game BUT Farrell? Surely you jest wise man from the Midlands.

I mean he may have been brilliant for all I know but you must judge against the opposition, could you not star yourself against Rebels my Tigerish friend?

As for Croft, I can't see him not starting to be honest much as I'm not a huge fan of his wandering game and apparent shunning of the dirty work.

Youngs? Phillips? Murray? Who cares?
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Article
Initiate

Post by Article »

just read review...looks like SOB will be on bench to cover back row but if that's the case whose out because I don't think they will change from Croft, Heaslip and Warburton with Lydiate on bench unless Lydiate is covering second row ?
Team will have minimal changes I think with Roberts replacing JD if fit, Bowe on bench as Cuthbert took try well and doent deserve dropped even though an inferior player, and Parling in for POC. Think the Wallabies have a good chance of squaring the series with POC out !!
bazzaj

Post by bazzaj »

ruckover wrote:I wouldn't mind Farrell starting the second test but I think Sexton is a far superior fly-half in every aspect and I would always have him ahead of Farrell.

I don't think the match today will have changed Gatland's mind really, as the saying goes "Why fix what ain't broke?" Team picks itself in my opinion:
H'penny, Bowe, BOD, Davies, North, Sexton, Phillips; Mako, T Youngs, Jones, AWJ, Parling, Croft, Warburton, Heaslip
Rep: Hibbard, Grant, Cole, Gray, Lydiate, B Youngs, Farrell, Cuthbert
I think Ruck is right with his starting team with the exception of Grant coming in ahead of Mako as his scrummaging was excellent today.
One positive area was Corbiseros selection ahead of Mako from the first test and Grant went really well in that respect.
Elsewhere Tuilagi might be a bench option but I think SOB will replace Lydiate on the bench as he is more of an impact option.
Also a fit Roberts will obviously start.

My personal preference is that Falateu should start.
Thought he was immense today and will give more of a balance to the back row.
Dont see this happening though as he played the whole game.

On today really good solid Lions performance against not a bad side who they will have been very pleased to have nilled.
Hibbard went well and I was really impressed with his mental strength by not allowing his first couple of lineout wobbles to effect the rest of the game which maybe Rory can look at.
On Rory really pleased that he can take a good positive performance out of the tour.

Think its clear that if we do pick Croft we have to utilise him at the back of the lineout as we saw how effective that weapon was today.
If we dont do that as in the first test, he is surplus to requirement, as the Aussies are happy to concede the front of the lineout where we cannot launch our attacks.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

On the performances to-day

SoB should make the bench
Youngs could start at scrum half not because he was great but because Philips on Saturday was poor
Best might have advanced his cause to be on the bench.

Zebo if he had any defensive tackle could have been a starter on Saturday but his lack of tackle puts him out of contention for a test match.

His performance under a high ball to day was very impressive and is basically the reason he is preferred to Trimble on the Irish team.
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

bostonteax wrote:Can anyone tell me how Best and Court go on?
bostonteax wrote:Sorry, got on !
As substitutes >EW
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

rumncoke wrote:On the performances to-day

SoB should make the bench
Youngs could start at scrum half not because he was great but because Philips on Saturday was poor
Best might have advanced his cause to be on the bench.

Zebo if he had any defensive tackle could have been a starter on Saturday but his lack of tackle puts him out of contention for a test match.

His performance under a high ball to day was very impressive and is basically the reason he is preferred to Trimble on the Irish team.
I can't see Zebo, nor any other wingers, being picked ahead of Bowe and North right now.

Not sure why you think Rory advanced his cause to be on the bench? I thought Hibbard player well and recovered from a couple of iffy throws at the start. Maybe if he had played really badly, Rory may have had a chance. Rory also came on with the game won and under zero pressure as far as the match situation was concerned.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

An utter nothing of a match, tedious at best and no performance, against a team of earnest endeavour but absolutely nothing of a threat to offer, is likely to change very much that they haven't already considered changing.

At a bit of a loss why I watched the whole game.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Scranner
Warrior

Post by Scranner »

No way will Rory be on the bench unless one of the other two gets hit by a bus. While he played well for the most part, he looked really nervous at the line-outs - a bit like an overthrow waiting to happen - not particularly confidence inspiring. He did manage one cracker to the back from which Lions scored a try, but .... Gatland mentioned Hibbard as having played well in the post match. He's nailed on for the bench.

Hope SOB makes it to the bench. He's definitely worth it.
STATE PRO VIRIS ULTONIAE
browner
Lord Chancellor
Location: Globe Vienna crashed and burned...Giant TCR SL2 rising from the ashes.

Post by browner »

Scranner wrote:No way will Rory be on the bench unless one of the other two gets hit by a bus.
...or if Rory could hit a bus.
Stand up for PICU R.V.H.
bazzaj

Post by bazzaj »

BaggyTrousers wrote:An utter nothing of a match, tedious at best and no performance, against a team of earnest endeavour but absolutely nothing of a threat to offer, is likely to change very much that they haven't already considered changing.

At a bit of a loss why I watched the whole game.
Agree with Bagster as Gatland has done a great job of finding the best team within the squad through utilising the provencial matches.
This last midweek game is usually about giving the squad players a run and a last chance to put their hands up.
That said Grant had a good game in the scrum and loose which was a great bonus as he would have been one of the players without a lot of game time thus far.
He has troubled the Aussies before.
He will start as Makos scrumaging has been too exposed to warrant a start but all this could have been sorted had Gatland not ignored Sheridan.

Elsewhere do not know what more Falateau,SOB, Tipuric or Youngs have to do.
Real pressure on the half backs and back row to perform now which is good.
Worst case scenario is that if they dont and we lose, we still can bring in those guys to help salvage the series in the last test.

Need to be a lot cleverer tactically and with the ref than we were last week.
Absolutely no point in selecting Croft if we are going to play it tight again.
If he starts we need to risk the ball at the back of the lineout and play a looser game where he has pace and support lines like no other 6 on tour.
He will not get you go forward unlike SOB or Falateau which is what we lacked last week.
Its horses for courses as I said before.
tigerburnie
Warrior

Post by tigerburnie »

Tom Croft is clearly under orders to use his threat out wide from his pace, at Tigers he can do the dog work when keeping the ball tight just well as anyone. With Parling running the lineout, Crofty will be a key attacking threat and the Aussies will be very aware of that. He can play second row and has for the Tigers, but obviously he lacks the bulk in the scrum.
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

tigerburnie wrote:Tom Croft is clearly under orders to use his threat out wide from his pace, at Tigers he can do the dog work when keeping the ball tight just well as anyone. With Parling running the lineout, Crofty will be a key attacking threat and the Aussies will be very aware of that. He can play second row and has for the Tigers, but obviously he lacks the bulk in the scrum.
He is only relevant to the lineout if the Lions throw to the back. In the first test the Lions didn't do that at all so it is pointless having Croft taking front ball as any of the other jumpers could have done that.

As to the "dog work", Croft is adequate but not as good as Lydiate in defence or SOB close in ball in hand.

He got virtually no ball when hanging around in the backs during the first test. I don't think the Australians will need to do anything that different with their defence if Croft is loitering out there.

Basically, you seem to be saying that the Lions need to change the way they have been playing to make Croft look good! >EW
damianmcr
Lord Chancellor

Post by damianmcr »

Rumoured team

Halfpenny, Bowe, BOD, Davies, North, Sexton, Phillips; Vunipola, Youngs T, Jones A, Jones A-W, Parling, Lydiate, Warburton, Heaslip.

Hibbard, Grant, Cole, Croft, O'Brien, Youngs B, Farrell, Cuthbert.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

damianmcr wrote:Rumoured team

Halfpenny, Bowe, BOD, Davies, North, Sexton, Phillips; Vunipola, Youngs T, Jones A, Jones A-W, Parling, Lydiate, Warburton, Heaslip.

Hibbard, Grant, Cole, Croft, O'Brien, Youngs B, Farrell, Cuthbert.
Rumoured from your Brennan?
damianmcr
Lord Chancellor

Post by damianmcr »

Gerry Thornley