Heineken Cup Replaced

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Heineken Cup Replaced

Post by Rooster »

mikerob wrote:I'm drunk off with myself that it didn't occur to me before now to search trademark filings.

I did that when the ML said they would be getting a new sponsor and found the trademark "Pro12" before it was announced.

If I'd searched for trademarks when PRL first started talking about a new competition and found the name, it is a few quid to register the domains and create a website with a single page saying "Feck you McCafferty" :lol:

:duh: :duh: :duh:
Is there such an address mike?
Domain name:
rugbychampionscup.co.uk

Registrant:
Premiership Rugby

Registrant type:
UK Limited Company, (Company number: 3096937)

Registrant's address:
7th Floor
Regal House
70 London Road
Twickernham
Twickernham

TW1 3QS
United Kingdom
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

From Gavin Mairs tonight:

It is understood that Premiership Rugby chief executive Mark McCafferty wrote to his ERC counterpart Derek McGrath to confirm officially that representatives of the English clubs would not be attending the stakeholder meeting in Dublin on Oct 23.

While it is understood that Premiership Rugby is prepared to engage with Canadian lawyer Graeme Mew, who has been appointed by ERC to act as an independent mediator in the dispute, to explain its position, McCafferty’s letter appears to confirm that hopes of a resolution within the existing framework are dead.

The move came after both Premiership Rugby and its French counterpart Ligue Nationale de Rugby were castigated by ERC chairman Jean-Pierre Lux at the launch of this season’s Heineken Cup in Paris yesterday for showing a “lack of respect” during the bitter row over the future of the tournament.

Premiership Rugby confirmed on Sunday that its new Anglo-French tournament, which is open to other European clubs to join, would be called the Rugby Champions’ Cup.

Lux reiterated however that the French clubs would not be able to take part in a new cross-border tournament without the backing of the French Federation de Rugby and said it would be “disastrous”to deprive players and supporters of the Heineken Cup next season.

“The FFR has now officially reminded the LNR that no international game involving French clubs can take place without the advance permission of the FFR,” said Lux. “And the RFU has a similar position regarding Premiership Rugby.

“The recent media releases from the LNR and Premiership Rugby lacked respect. In June, the LNR committed to the principle of central marketing for ERC’s tournaments which has been the at the heart of European club rugby’s commercial success.

“While this process began in 2012, ERC met with the parties during the summer, with the exception of Premiership Rugby, who refused to engage. They have never entered into negotiations.

“This impasse is essentially because Premiership Rugby want to renege on a binding commercial deal in favour of their questionable TV contract with BT [Sport].

“We have another opportunity for everyone to finally engage with the process with the meeting on Oct 23 and 24 with Graeme Mew. I hope we will be able to reach an agreement. It would be disastrous to deprive so many players and fans of the opportunity of participating in such an outstanding tournament.”

A Premiership Rugby spokesman rebuffed Lux’s claims, insisting that the English clubs had taken part in earlier ERC negotiations and put forward proposals for a “new dynamic three-tier tournament based on meritocracy in qualification and distribution of revenues”.

The spokesman added: “We entered into the process but nothing happened for 16 months. We pulled out of the [ERC] accord in June 2012 so we are not part of any [television] deal for the 2014/15 season.

“We hope to be able to reach agreement for a pan-European competition. We are not trying to destroy the Heineken Cup. We are trying to make it a new and better competition.”
Pretty clear that PRL (a director P Wheeler) engaged with BT mid 2012 and have had no interest whatsoever in making progress with ERC (a director P Wheeler)

I wonder just what investigation of Mr P Wheeler (multiple directorships) would show in terms of dedication to his roles of multiple directorships >seeya DodgydodgyPeter.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

And from the SH:
Breakaway plan reveals European club rugby problems
AFP September 24, 2013, 8:51 am

PARIS (AFP) - A new European rugby landscape is looming on the horizon as teams from England and France press ahead with plans to launch a competition to take the place of the continent's showcase club tournament, the European Cup.

Not only is the future of the Cup competition under threat, but so is the relationship between the clubs and their governing unions, with outright revolt by the teams seemingly not out of the question.

The root of the problem is twofold.

Playing wise, English and French clubs want the competition to be restructured, believing there is an unfair advantage accorded to Celtic League sides from Ireland, Italy, Scotland and Wales.

At least 10 of the 12 Celtic League teams -- including both Scottish sides, both Italian clubs and a minimum of three each from Wales and Ireland -- have a free pass into the competition.

But only the top six from England's 12-strong Premiership and France's Top 14 are guaranteed a place in lucrative Cup action.

Then there is the financial issue: a demand of a three-way split of revenues between the three leagues and the real sticking point of the English Premiership's go-it-alone television deal with new satellite channel BT Sport.

Despite a mediator, Canadian lawyer Graeme Mew, being nominated by the International Rugby Board (IRB) at the request of European Rugby Cup (ERC), the organisers of the European Cup, to help negotiate a way out of the impasse, the English and French clubs took the drastic step of simultaneously launching a rival competition called the Rugby Champions Cup, which they claimed would also be open to clubs from the Celtic League.

The tournament emerged after ERC announced an 'urgent' meeting to discuss the future of their showpiece competition but scheduled it for October 23.

Meanwhile IRB chairman Bernard Lapasset, in a statement of support for the current set-up, said the global governing body "will ensure we have a European competition which fulfils its name, which is not confiscated by some nations but has a real international interest.

"The IRB will defend this principle: not a privatisation of a competition in the interest of some people," he said, adding that "unions maintain pre-eminence over the leagues... the unions must remain masters of the game," the veteran French administrator told AFP.

A separation of the Ligue National de Rugby (LNR), the French clubs' umbrella body, from the French rugby federation would be highly unlikely given the former's legal statutes.

But the prospect of a breakaway similar to that with which late Australian businessman Kerry Packer upset cricket's established order in the late 1970s seems more likely for the Premiership given the four-year deal they signed with BT in September 2012 that included the rights to show English teams' European games from 2014/15.

ERC insist the Premiership did not have a European competition for which it could sell rights and the television situation is further complicated by ERC's own new four-year deal with incumbent broadcasters Sky.

ERC president Jean-Pierre Lux said the BT deal had been a stumbling block in demands for a renegotiation of the competition that started a year ago.

"Unfortunately, talks never started because the Premiership introduced a blocking factor -- the contract they signed with BT, which was signed outside all normal rules because all the commercial rights are centralised," Lux said.

"To save the BT contract, the only solution was that there be another competition," the former France international added.

Lux said teams from Ireland, Italy, Scotland and Wales, at an ERC meeting last week, "clearly stated they will never take part in such a (rival) tournament".

He also maintained clubs would never obtain the green light to participate from their respective unions.

"You saw the French federation's statement (against the rival competition), I can tell you that the (English) RFU feel the same."

However, RFU chief executive Ian Ritchie has deliberately refused to take a public stance, saying earlier this month: "I am not going to give a negotiating position in public because I believe it is better to see if we can bring everyone together."

But LNR president Paul Goze sounded a warning Monday, telling AFP he "completely excluded a return to negotiations".

"They haven't worked for 15 months and they're not going to succeed in 15 days," Goze said.
"The creation of a new competition would allow us to get out of this impasse in which we've been stuck for several months."
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

This looks like their Twatter address https://twitter.com/RugbyChamps_Cup
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

So the French just want to get on with it
The English have thrown their toys out
The rest of us, alongside the backing of the IRB are saying, feck the ERFU
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Russ wrote:So the French just want to get on with it
The English have thrown their toys out
The rest of us, alongside the backing of the IRB are saying, feck the ERFU
:scratch: The PRL?
blerta
Novice

Post by blerta »

Slightly off topic , but last night University Challenge was on with teams from Pembroke College Cambridge and Somerville College Oxford . One of the questions was based on the Pro twelve Rugby competition , showing the emblems of the teams without the names . They did not know Munster or Scarlets or Glasgow but they knew the last one which was Ulster . I think the contestants were English and a USian , sort of interesting . :fleg:
Wilson Whineray, All Black captain was asked for his opinion following their defeat to an English counties team.

He replied, "Tonight the sun will go down and tomorrow it will rise again."
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Lets assume for a moment Ireland Scotland and Wales refuse to join this Rugby Champions Cup but Italy do .

Exactly how if the Italians were at the bottom of the Pro12 could their inclusion be described as merited .

Therefore the whole facade of the claim that they want only those teams who are at the top of the leagues is a sham.

Of course everybody can now see that the whole process has been a sham since day one.

The fact that the Name "Rugby champions Cup " was registered on the 21 st of June is a clear indication that McCafferty has never sought agreement and that the English Clubs once the draw for 2013/14 was made start to act in bad faith .

If McCafferty continues to act in bad faith they English clubs could see themselves being slung out of this years competition at any point in time because they are now in breach of contract and have been since they sign the deal with BT .

McCafferty is a bull in a china shop and I fear he under estimates the many of those who make up the Union.

Their administration of the Unions maybe Amateurish but many are professional men and bring professional attitudes and expertise to bear if they consider the interest of the Unions are being undermined and think nothing of taking things to Court if they believe they have a sound case.

How does McCafferty think his case would stand up in a French Court or an Irish Court if the Unions sue the PRL for breach of contract and loss of earnings.
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Lets assume for a moment Ireland Scotland and Wales refuse to join this Rugby Champions Cup but Italy do .

Exactly how if the Italians were at the bottom of the Pro12 could their inclusion be described as merited .

Therefore the whole facade of the claim that they want only those teams who are at the top of the leagues is a sham.

Of course everybody can now see that the whole process has been a sham since day one.

The fact that the Name "Rugby champions Cup " was registered on the 21 st of June is a clear indication that McCafferty has never sought agreement and that the English Clubs once the draw for 2013/14 was made start to act in bad faith .

If McCafferty continues to act in bad faith they English clubs could see themselves being slung out of this years competition at any point in time because they are now in breach of contract and have been since they sign the deal with BT .

McCafferty is a bull in a china shop and I fear he under estimates the many of those who make up the Union.

Their administration of the Unions maybe Amateurish but many are professional men and bring professional attitudes and expertise to bear if they consider the interest of the Unions are being undermined and think nothing of taking things to Court if they believe they have a sound case.

How does McCafferty think his case would stand up in a French Court or an Irish Court if the Unions sue the PRL for breach of contract and loss of earnings.
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

Rooster wrote:This looks like their Twatter address https://twitter.com/RugbyChamps_Cup
There is also https://twitter.com/rugbychampionsc

"We demand 180 characters per tweet or we are setting up our own social media"

"our opening game next season will be Golden Lions v Detroit Lions played in Belgium. its what the fans want"

"we have major sponsors interested in our tournament next year but they wish to remain anonymous throughout the tournament"

:lol:
tigerburnie
Warrior

Post by tigerburnie »

I think the Peter Wheeler comments are unfounded re his directorships(which are all in the public domain), as the PRL( and the French)have given notice, then Peter Wheeler will also be under notice to leave. So I'm sure he will be perfectly in order to represent those businesses that he is not leaving with impunity. Everyone at ERC is aware he is a director of PRL and Leicester, so it will hardly be a surprise.
During the two years(nearly) notice period, all parties will be doing their level best to ensure the parties that put them there have their interests protected, can't quite understand why anyone is surprised that the Director of a company is looking after it's interests above those of the company that he is under notice to leave. Pretty sure the legal eagles will have advised him accordingly too.
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

Surely he should have stepped down with immediate effect?
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
jackthelad
Warrior Chief

Post by jackthelad »

Jackie Brown wrote:Surely he should have stepped down with immediate effect?
..Only if he had any honour.
Smear me in chocolate and throw me to the Lesbians.
tigerburnie
Warrior

Post by tigerburnie »