Ulster vs Cardiff

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Setanta
Lord Chancellor

Re: Ulster vs Cardiff

Post by Setanta »

Come in Dundonald, I know you're Knock!! My dad's favourite joke; bless his memory.
From the rolling glens of Antrim through the hills of Donegal we will stand and shout for Ulster as we win both scrum and maul from the lovely lakes of Fermanagh tae the shores of ould Lough Gall we will scream and shout for Ulster as we beat them one and all!
ruckover
Lord Chancellor

Post by ruckover »

Dublin can be the only explanation. If it was up to Maak I don't think Jared would play anywhere but 15. Then again, I'm not Maak so...

I'd like to see Annett involved somewhere, still highly rate him and think he deserves a chance somewhere.
You haven't seen me at my best yet. Let's be honest, you probably never will.
Windeos
Warrior Chief

Post by Windeos »

Neil F wrote:Why, Rocky? In an otherwise full-strength, or near full-strength side, we'll see a few things. First - can Olding cut it at fullback? Let's imagine, for example, that we're off to Welford Road and Payne gets the runs, again... Who is going to step in and play 15 in such a crucial and important game? As it stands, we have no strength in depth at 15. There is Bowe and Gilroy who have stepped in from time to time and a few youngsters who still need to prove themselves. The same, really, goes for 13. If Payne is at 15, and Cave is out, our choices at 13 are; Luke Marshall, who hasn't really played there, Olding, who hasn't really played there and Farrell who has no experience at this level. So long as a meaningful alternative can be developed at 15, with Payne covering 13, this helps to minimise the impact of a loss of one of two key players in areas where Ulster lack strength in depth.

That's fair enough, you want to see alternatives but then why play Olding at 15 instead of someone who potentially will be playing full back for Ulster for years down the line like Scholes or Nelson?

I'd rather play one of those two youngsters at 15 from the start and leave Olding in the midfield to continue his development there rather than doing a "Paddy Wallace" with him.
firebell53
Novice

Post by firebell53 »

Jackie Brown wrote:Wind your neck in Firebell my dear.

Why can't we keep Payne at 15 and try Olding at 13? Or even better, play Nelson at 15?

It won't benefit Olding's career to be pushed around the backline as nothing more than a filler.
I suggest you direct your comments to the proper person :duh:
ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Post by ColinM »

I'm interested to see what Olding can do in other positions as well, but the team have a few weeks off after this one, no need to 'rest' Cave or anything like it. He's hit form after not playing as regularly as he might have liked.

Young Olding, should be getting a start at 12 after a couple of cameos from the bench. If anyone needs a rotational rest it should be Luke Marshall who has played a lot and will probably play in most of Ireland's games as well.

If we want to shift people around to see what they can do, I'd prefer it to be in the last 20 minutes of the game, if the game has been won or lost.
Nightsoil
Warrior

Post by Nightsoil »

Windeos wrote: That's fair enough, you want to see alternatives but then why play Olding at 15 instead of someone who potentially will be playing full back for Ulster for years down the line like Scholes or Nelson?

I'd rather play one of those two youngsters at 15 from the start and leave Olding in the midfield to continue his development there rather than doing a "Paddy Wallace" with him.
He looked good at there at U20 level. He's got a lovely boot, a wicked sidestep, a fine rugby brain, enough pace and the ability to make those last man tackles. He has most of the qualities needed to be a top 15 - the high ball is the only question mark I'd have - and our midfield is ridiculously spoiled for choice. I'd say there's plenty of reason to think he could be playing full-back for Ulster for years down the line, particularly if we're going to have to move Payne to 13, and it looks like Anscombe might agree.
Cornerfleg
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cornerfleg »

Seems to work for Gio Aplon!
Always ask yourself, "What would Big Rodney do"... And every time the answer is... "Eat It"
OneMore
Warrior Chief

Post by OneMore »

Speaking of Olding. What about that clearance at the weekend off his left boot, in the in-goal area, under pressure? It was sensational, in my opinion. Nearly made halfway.

And then compare it to Trimble's later left footed clearance out of hand that went about 10 yards sideways, only for Ruan to rescue the situation with a 50 yard fly hack down the field. Though 'fly hack' doesn't do Ruan's kick justice - he looked like he was place kicking a moving ball. Deft.
Windeos
Warrior Chief

Post by Windeos »

Nightsoil wrote:He looked good at there at U20 level. He's got a lovely boot, a wicked sidestep, a fine rugby brain, enough pace and the ability to make those last man tackles. He has most of the qualities needed to be a top 15 - the high ball is the only question mark I'd have - and our midfield is ridiculously spoiled for choice. I'd say there's plenty of reason to think he could be playing full-back for Ulster for years down the line, particularly if we're going to have to move Payne to 13, and it looks like Anscombe might agree.
I would say our 12 spot is ridiculously spoiled for choice but not our 13. We know Cave and Payne can play there but other than that we don't have many options. Like I've said countless times, for the talents Olding has, which you've highlighted, why can't Olding have a go at 13?
Ringer
Novice

Post by Ringer »

OneMore wrote:Speaking of Olding. What about that clearance at the weekend off his left boot, in the in-goal area, under pressure? It was sensational, in my opinion. Nearly made halfway.

And then compare it to Trimble's later left footed clearance out of hand that went about 10 yards sideways, only for Ruan to rescue the situation with a 50 yard fly hack down the field. Though 'fly hack' doesn't do Ruan's kick justice - he looked like he was place kicking a moving ball. Deft.
It was a great kick but Olding is a left footed kicker so perhaps the comparison with Trimbles left is a little unfair. We do need to develop cover at 15 but I would have thought Scholes and Nelson were long term bets for cover of that position and both may be a little bit irked to see Olding getting a chance there ahead of them.
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

OneMore wrote:Speaking of Olding. What about that clearance at the weekend off his left boot, ......

And then compare it to Trimble's later left footed clearance ......
The difference being that Olding IS left-footed and a regular kicker throughout his career to date, Trimble is right-footed .....
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
Nightsoil
Warrior

Post by Nightsoil »

Windeos wrote:
Nightsoil wrote:He looked good at there at U20 level. He's got a lovely boot, a wicked sidestep, a fine rugby brain, enough pace and the ability to make those last man tackles. He has most of the qualities needed to be a top 15 - the high ball is the only question mark I'd have - and our midfield is ridiculously spoiled for choice. I'd say there's plenty of reason to think he could be playing full-back for Ulster for years down the line, particularly if we're going to have to move Payne to 13, and it looks like Anscombe might agree.
I would say our 12 spot is ridiculously spoiled for choice but not our 13. We know Cave and Payne can play there but other than that we don't have many options. Like I've said countless times, for the talents Olding has, which you've highlighted, why can't Olding have a go at 13?
Because Dublin diktat has left a hole at 15 and not at 13. Long term, I think he's got the talent to play there as well, but who knows what Anscombe will think and circumstances will call for.

As for other options at 13. Michael Allen has looked good and can play there, wouldn't say no to him getting a run if circumstances called for it. Chris Farrell can play there and has a very bright future. Plus there's always putting one of Bowe/Trimble there in extremis. Throw in Cave and Payne and that looks fairly good to me.
Scranner
Warrior

Post by Scranner »

Someone mentioned Deccie Fitz getting a rest. Given the state of his snatterbox and the fact that he has played two matches with it like that, if Lutton and Afoa are both fit, give him the week off. As for the debate about 12, 13 and 15: unless someone knows what the team is going to be, it's a fairly futile argument until the team is announced.

Can Dublin dictate how we use Payne? He isn't a contracted player though I would expect him to be so fairly quickly after he becomes IQ. And on a personal note: Cave deserves more from Ulster than to be dropped at the whim of D$. >fiddle
STATE PRO VIRIS ULTONIAE
bazzaj

Post by bazzaj »

With regards to selection I think rotation must come into play especially in the light of some of those players being involved in very hard physical games.

To be rested?-L.Marshall, Payne, Henry, Wilson,Muller,Cave, Best,PJ
Need to start?- Olding, Herring, Afoa, Black, Doyle
Possible team based on that injury permitting,
Gilroy, Bowe, Cave, Olding, AT, PJ, RP, Williams, Doyle, RD, Stevenson,Tuohy, Black, Herring, Afoa to start.
PJ to make way for McKinney/RP with Marshall to 9 and Farrell for Cave if all is good but no clue on injuries to Williams or Gilroy so based selection on the fact they are fit.

Thats my best guess as this has been the hardest game to anticipate for ages as its hard to know whether they will keep momentum or rotate.
With last season lessons in mind I think rotation where possible is the prudent thing to do with a view to giving time to blood some youngsters late on such as Nelson.

Feel that Cardiff may be on a major come down from that Toulon win and may be emotionally drained from that victory they invested so much in.
Must be a bp opprotunity for us regardless what team is put out there.
Last edited by bazzaj on Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Windeos
Warrior Chief

Post by Windeos »

(1-8) Black, Best, Fitzpatrick, Muller, Tuohy, Diack, Henry, Wilson
(15-9) Olding, Trimble, Payne, Marshall, Bowe, Jackson, Pienaar
(16-23) Herring, Court, Afoa, Stevenson, McComish, Marshall, Cave, Allen

Fitzpatrick starts again at tighthead.