What do you know?? Talk to us here!

Moderator: Moderators

Eggs
Warrior Chief

Re: TRANSFER RUMOURS!!

Post by Eggs »

LastKnightoftheproms wrote:
Eggs wrote:
kingofthehill wrote:Who do people want to see replacing Muller?

The king is Dead, Long live the king
And there we have confirmation he is leaving!
Come on Eggs. I'll only say this because JM himself said it publicly. He came to Ulster for a couple of years because genuinely he believes it was Gods will. His father agreed not to retire and look after the farm. Several years later his father is still looking to retire and still looking after the farm. In his own words, "there comes a time when you have to listen to your body and to think about the family that have supported you to do what you wanted to do".

I don't think anyone who heard him say that last year ever thought that there was a serious possibility of him staying (much as he might like to if he and his father were younger).

We over bandy the word "legend". He is one and a decent man to boot.
Don't get me wrong, I had always assumed he was going at the end of this season, just that there had been murmurs that he may be considering his options. I have to say it has been an honour and a privilege to watch him play with the red hand on his chest. He has been a true servant to the club, and I agree with you, a legend.

I think it is right for him and the club that this season is his swan song, we can only hope he heads back to SA with a winners medal.

As for a replacement, I would want this to be dependent on the plan for Hendo, if he is going into the second row, then I wouldn't want to use a NIQ place for someone who would be fighting for a starting berth with either Hendo or Dan. Obviously we would need to find some IQ rabo standard 2nd row cover. Or perhaps a place for a promising project?
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Eggs wrote:As for a replacement, I would want this to be dependent on the plan for Hendo, if he is going into the second row, then I wouldn't want to use a NIQ place for someone who would be fighting for a starting berth with either Hendo or Dan. Obviously we would need to find some IQ rabo standard 2nd row cover. Or perhaps a place for a promising project?
I reckon Hendo will go to back row but cover second row, Wilson only has a couple of years left in the system, big Saffie or NZ lock with captain and lineout experience would be the ticket :thumleft:
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
ruckover
Lord Chancellor

Post by ruckover »

Based on where he's played so far this season I would say Henderson is being lined up as a replacement for Muller. However I wouldn't fall out with another NIQ in to replace him as KOTH suggests with Henderson covering both lock and back row.
You haven't seen me at my best yet. Let's be honest, you probably never will.
eeyore
Initiate

Post by eeyore »

Eben Etzebeth to replace Muller as lock. Rory or Payne as captain
Wooohooo!! Only donkey left on the board
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

eeyore wrote:Eben Etzebeth to replace Muller as lock. Rory or Payne as captain
We wish.........
breakdown
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by breakdown »

Henderson, Williams and Etzebeth in the same team would be a sight to behold...
Chris Henry is superhuman... I think he's half cyborg
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

James Horwill
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Snipe Watson wrote:James Horwill
Ben Mowen

If Hendo goes to 4, we could do with bringing in a big over seas 6, probably bigger than Ben Mowen to be fair
Windeos
Warrior Chief

Post by Windeos »

Ireland is lacking quality depth at 2nd row. If Muller leaves we'd be left with Tuohy, Stevenson, Henderson, McComb & in a pinch Diack. For that reason I'd love for the good doc to go find a beast of a man, who hasn't been capped at international level, to bring in as our project player.

Not sure where I'd target as the two remaining NIQ players to replace Afoa & Muller. Another tighthead would be great and maybe a back rower as well but what happens to Ferris could help dictate that one.

I just hope we can still go and get top quality guys to come play for Ulster and that we don't settle for anything but top level guys who will come in and help raise the bar.

I know it's a lot to ask for but why the hell not.
Scranner
Warrior

Post by Scranner »

On the subject of captain: I have the utmost respect for Rory Best as a player. It 's all been said here before, so I won't re-hash it. However two things stop me from believing he should captain Ulster. The first is that player management means that he won't be with Ulster for a fairly large number of games. The second is that I think he plays better when he isn't captain. He motivates by example but the actual nitty gritty of captaincy isn't for him. Pienaar anyone?
STATE PRO VIRIS ULTONIAE
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Scranner wrote:On the subject of captain: I have the utmost respect for Rory Best as a player. It 's all been said here before, so I won't re-hash it. However two things stop me from believing he should captain Ulster. The first is that player management means that he won't be with Ulster for a fairly large number of games. The second is that I think he plays better when he isn't captain. He motivates by example but the actual nitty gritty of captaincy isn't for him. Pienaar anyone?
I don't know how suitable he is but the way he snatched the ball to take a succession of penalties in Montpellier it appears he has no problem making decisions. I'd be more than happy to see how he goes BUT with one problem Scranner.

For exactly the same reason as you state about Rory. Missing until late October, then off again for AIs so basically he would turn up missing until December barring a couple of games.

I wonder is it sensible to appoint a captain and, like the Aussies do, at least one or two vice captains? That would leave the way open for Rory, Ruan, Chad and whoever else might emerge - Jared perhaps but I'm not sure, very quietly spoken but would certainly lead be example.

All that said, 9s often are ideal as captain positionally as the link betwixt forwards & backs.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Post by ColinM »

I often wondered if there was a couple of vice captains or senior and junior vice captain in the squad. It would make plenty of sense given nobody plays every game, and automatically people know who the leader is or is going to be when the captain isnt there.
TinPig
Squire

Post by TinPig »

Rooster wrote: big Saffie or NZ lock with captain and lineout experience would be the ticket :thumleft:
Victor Matfield on his way back!!! Ohhhhh :stir: Enforcer

http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,2588 ... 43,00.html
I’m feeling Perky this morning. :pig:
ruckover
Lord Chancellor

Post by ruckover »

In my opinion a club captain should be somebody who's around all the time, giving younger players advice and always being available to play. Not saying Best would do a bad job, I just feel that you need one stand out leader for an entire season than three in-out captains for different stages.
You haven't seen me at my best yet. Let's be honest, you probably never will.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

ruckover wrote:In my opinion a club captain should be somebody who's around all the time, giving younger players advice and always being available to play. Not saying Best would do a bad job, I just feel that you need one stand out leader for an entire season than three in-out captains for different stages.
Ruckie that is fine in principle so now go ahead and put flesh on the bones. Who? Robbie Disco the famous autocorrection.

Principle can be difficult to put into practice but Knock yourself out trying.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.