ASK THE EXPERT

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: ASK THE EXPERT

Post by Russ »

repQ may have been the wrong term.

Money down the drain, dead language Q may have been a better phrase
Kofi Annan
Lord Chancellor

Post by Kofi Annan »

Russ wrote:repQ may have been the wrong term.

I quite like the Linen Quarter to be honest.
“For the liespotter who knows how to listen well, the random words, sounds, and phrases in a person's speech are never as random as they seem. They offer a clear sightline into the liar's psyche.”
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Kofi Annan wrote:

Things have been sorted, and Baggy didn't even have to get involved

Where in the feck is the Linen Quarter?
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

My goodness I go to bed early for once and Quarter Wars breaks out.

Whilst I'm glad you appear to have arrived at an accommodation I feel that it's important to correct misconceptions.

All very well for the trendy amongst us to be puttimg new fangled 'quarters' upon various areas described by the bard of Hyndford Street in Madame George but it just won't do.

As the expert, it's my adjudication that the traditional method used the world over, except by Fancy Dans is the geographical North South East and West. I am a wise man from the east for example, not a wise man from the Loyalist Quarter.

Now if folk wish to us contrived nomenclature such as the Cathedral Quarter, as in a moment of madness, I did myself that is acceptable for folk seeking directions or advice, however it cannot and is not acceptable for use "according to Hoyle"

Gentlemen you've been helped.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Kofi Annan
Lord Chancellor

Post by Kofi Annan »

Russ wrote:
Kofi Annan wrote:

Things have been sorted, and Baggy didn't even have to get involved

Where in the feck is the Linen Quarter?

Russ, be a good chap and google it, that way I will have faith my help in your education was not wasted
“For the liespotter who knows how to listen well, the random words, sounds, and phrases in a person's speech are never as random as they seem. They offer a clear sightline into the liar's psyche.”
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

What's the deal with the "average speed" cameras through Holywood?

I assume your average speed, from entering the town 'til leaving it, must be below the maximum? If so, how do they factor in all the traffic lights - about half a dozen sets I think.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

big mervyn wrote:What's the deal with the "average speed" cameras through Holywood?

I assume your average speed, from entering the town 'til leaving it, must be below the maximum? If so, how do they factor in all the traffic lights - about half a dozen sets I think.
Has anyone been caught yet? There was a statistic of them being in for two years and not catching a single person.
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
Kofi Annan
Lord Chancellor

Post by Kofi Annan »

Jackie Brown wrote:
big mervyn wrote:What's the deal with the "average speed" cameras through Holywood?

Has anyone been caught yet? There was a statistic of them being in for two years and not catching a single person.
Jackie, that would because they do not work, a bit like the ones they removed from Ards to Dundonald road.
Wee Woman
Lord Chancellor

ASK THE EXPERT

Post by Wee Woman »

Jackie Brown wrote:

Last I read (which must have been a couple of years ago now) was that 1 person had been prosecuted.

No one heeds the speed limits on the Belfast / Bangor Road outside rush hour.
Kofi Annan
Lord Chancellor

Post by Kofi Annan »

Little one , if it's the SPECs system on the belfast-Bangor road, they do not work, sometime have a look at the ones just past Devils Elbow, the glass is broke :roll: speeding is bad children so don't do it, remember it's a speed limited, not a speed target.
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Wee Woman wrote:Last I read (which must have been a couple of years ago now) was that 1 person had been prosecuted.
Correct - and I even know who it was (and no, it wasn't me).

Nearly cost him his job as he was driving a works van at the time.
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Jackie Brown wrote:

Don't see that marital status is relevant but I can confirm that the person caught was indeed single .....
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

First I had ever heard of thon area being referred to as the Linen Quarter.

Best thing about that area is Katy Daly's and Nandos, feck all to do with Linen
Kofi Annan
Lord Chancellor

Post by Kofi Annan »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote:
Wee Woman wrote:Last I read (which must have been a couple of years ago now) was that 1 person had been prosecuted.
Correct - and I even know who it was (and no, it wasn't me).

Nearly cost him his job as he was driving a works van at the time.
And he was caught by the Specs system? Are 100% sure about that.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

LastKnightoftheproms wrote:
Russ wrote:First I had ever heard of thon area being referred to as the Linen Quarter.

Best thing about that area is Katy Daly's and Nandos, feck all to do with Linen
Linen Hall Library. It was the linen making/selling area was it not?

I suppose its like titanic quarter even though they don't make ships?

Edit - http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linen_Quarter,_Belfast
Some of us are also old enough to remember the Linen Hall Bar - an excellent drinking establishment on Linen Hall Street, just behind the BBC. A mate of mine once accidentally spilt a pint over the late Caron Keating in there. She wasn't best pleased I can tell you - never heard language like that on Blue Peter. :shock:
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall