ASK THE EXPERT

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

Kofi Annan
Lord Chancellor

Re: ASK THE EXPERT

Post by Kofi Annan »

big mervyn wrote:
LastKnightoftheproms wrote:
Russ wrote:First I had ever heard of thon area being referred to as the Linen Quarter.

Best thing about that area is Katy Daly's and Nandos, feck all to do with Linen
Linen Hall Library. It was the linen making/selling area was it not?

I suppose its like titanic quarter even though they don't make ships?

Edit - http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linen_Quarter,_Belfast
Some of us are also old enough to remember the Linen Hall Bar - an excellent drinking establishment on Linen Hall Street, just behind the BBC. A mate of mine once accidentally spilt a pint over the late Caron Keating in there. She wasn't best pleased I can tell you - never heard language like that on Blue Peter. :shock:
Great Bar, ah the memories >drinks
“For the liespotter who knows how to listen well, the random words, sounds, and phrases in a person's speech are never as random as they seem. They offer a clear sightline into the liar's psyche.”
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Kofi Annan wrote:
big mervyn wrote:
Russ wrote:First I had ever heard of thon area being referred to as the Linen Quarter.

Some of us are also old enough to remember the Linen Hall Bar - an excellent drinking establishment on Linen Hall Street, just behind the BBC. A mate of mine once accidentally spilt a pint over the late Caron Keating in there. She wasn't best pleased I can tell you - never heard language like that on Blue Peter. :shock:
Great Bar, ah the memories >drinks
Was great bar indeed, we might all have even been there at the same time and didn't know it >drinks
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
damianmcr
Lord Chancellor

Post by damianmcr »

Are they renaming arears of the west and east, Dole Quarter, Giro Quarter?
Kofi Annan
Lord Chancellor

Post by Kofi Annan »

damianmcr wrote:Are they renaming arears of the west and east, Dole Quarter, Giro Quarter?
If they add two quarters to the existing four quarters are they still quarters :scratch:
“For the liespotter who knows how to listen well, the random words, sounds, and phrases in a person's speech are never as random as they seem. They offer a clear sightline into the liar's psyche.”
damianmcr
Lord Chancellor

Post by damianmcr »

Kofi Annan wrote:
damianmcr wrote:Are they renaming arears of the west and east, Dole Quarter, Giro Quarter?
If they add two quarters to the existing four quarters are they still quarters :scratch:
I never thought of that.
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Kofi Annan wrote:
Remind me never to ask you to quarter my horse.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Library isn't within the area though.

Still plenty of old linen industry warehousing in that area, but hardly worth renaming it after them.

Let's call a spide a feckin spide. TQ = the yard; CQ =St Anne's; QQ = university area; GQ = up west;LQ = red light district
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Kofi Annan wrote:
Cap'n Grumpy wrote:
Wee Woman wrote:Last I read (which must have been a couple of years ago now) was that 1 person had been prosecuted.
Correct - and I even know who it was (and no, it wasn't me).

Nearly cost him his job as he was driving a works van at the time.
And he was caught by the Specs system? Are 100% sure about that.
As sure as I can be by taking his word for it. I see no reason for him to tell porkies - he was quite embarrassed to be the only driver to have been caught by it in the first 18 months.
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Has anyone ever been done for exceeding the posted limit on the variable stretch between Clifton street and Blacks road?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

BR wrote:
Kofi Annan wrote:
My daughter, Miss Trousers, has a quarter horse, to the untrained eye, it looks the full bob dylan. :shock:
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
pythagoras
Warrior Assassin

Post by pythagoras »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
BR wrote:
Kofi Annan wrote:
My daughter, Miss Trousers, has a quarter horse, to the untrained eye, it looks the full bob dylan. :shock:
Always knew you were quality Mr T, sir.
Kofi Annan
Lord Chancellor

Post by Kofi Annan »

Baggy:

You are driving in a car at a constant speed. On your left side is a barrier and drop; The ground is 18-20 inches below the level you are traveling on, and, on your right side is a fire engine traveling at the same speed as you. In front of you is a galloping horse which is the same size as your car and you cannot overtake it. Behind you is another galloping horse. Both horses are also traveling at the same speed as you. What must you do to safely get out of this highly dangerous situation?
pythagoras
Warrior Assassin

Post by pythagoras »

Kofi Annan wrote:Baggy:

You are driving in a car at a constant speed. On your left side is a barrier and drop; The ground is 18-20 inches below the level you are traveling on, and, on your right side is a fire engine traveling at the same speed as you. In front of you is a galloping horse which is the same size as your car and you cannot overtake it. Behind you is another galloping horse. Both horses are also traveling at the same speed as you. What must you do to safely get out of this highly dangerous situation?
Dangerous? Sounds like a quiet day in Moyross.
damianmcr
Lord Chancellor

Post by damianmcr »

Driver over the horse?
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Is it western trained, Baggy? Not a big fan of our seppo friends' ideas as a rule, but comfortable riding and hot sauce on fried eggs are the exception.
www.stoutboys.co.uk