Stuff from around the world.

Moderator: Moderators

bootlaced
Lord Chancellor

Scotland rugby players in assault inquiry

Post by bootlaced »

It is in the news.

Scotland rugby players in assault inquiry

FOUR Scotland rugby internationalists are part of a police investigation after a club rugby player was left with a fractured eye socket following an early-morning incident.

Sean Maitland, Ryan Grant, Ryan Wilson and Scotland sevens player Rory Hughes are believed to have been present when the fracas took place at the Barbecue King takeaway shop in Glasgow’s Great Western Road.

Glasgow Hawks centre Ally Maclay was injured in the incident.

Maclay, a former Scotland under-21 cap, took himself to hospital where he was released after treatment on Sunday evening. He has been unable to return to work as a PE teacher and will not play for Glasgow Hawks for the foreseeable future.

Police Scotland confirmed that they were investigating the incident, aided by CCTV from the shop, but were last night still to determine whether charges would be brought.

A spokesperson said: “We received a report of a 29-year-old man assaulted outside a take-away shop around 1:25am on Sunday morning. Inquiries are continuing and no arrests have been made.”

Glasgow Warriors, to whom Maitland, Grant, Wilson and Hughes are signed, are currently in Ireland preparing for a RaboDirect PRO12 match with Connacht tonight.

Wilson is working his way back from a five-month injury and Maitland and Grant, who made their British and Irish Lions debuts in the summer, are with the Scotland squad gearing up for the autumn Tests, so none was scheduled to play.

Hughes trains with Glasgow but is contracted to the Scotland sevens squad.

A Warriors spokesman declined to comment, adding: “We do not comment on speculation.”

The Scotsman understands that the Warriors and Hawks squads had been at separate Halloween parties and an altercation between the parties took place earlier in the nearby Viper nightclub, resulting in a player being ejected.

The Hawks players were in fancy dress and Maclay was wearing a nursery rhyme Tweedledee costume when he entered the takeaway.

While the four Glasgow players are believed to have been present, The Scotsman understands that not all were involved in the alleged incident.

Maclay has been a regular player in the RBS Premiership this season, featuring in last Saturday’s Hawks win over Edinburgh Accies.

The SRU said that they would not comment “on speculation”.

Scotland coach Scott Johnson is understood to be aware of the allegations and Maitland and Grant remain with the Scotland camp.

http://www.scotsman.com/news/scotland/t ... -1-3169317
Last edited by bootlaced on Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Never whistle while you're pi$$ing", Hagbard Celine
Neil F
Lord Chancellor

Re: Scotland rugby players in assault inquiry

Post by Neil F »

bootlaced wrote:internationalists
I lived in Scotland for five years and this word still sends shivers down my spine!
bootlaced
Lord Chancellor

Post by bootlaced »

Neil F wrote:
I lived in Scotland for five years and this word still sends shivers down my spine!

Scares me even more to read this.Especially outside a Glasgow chippy.

"wearing a nursery rhyme Tweedledee costume when he entered the takeaway."
Neil F
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neil F »

I thought that sort of nonsense was how your proved you were hard in Glasgow? I have some friends from Govan. Said the hardest kids in their school would go in wearing cardigans. You know, just to prove they were so hard that they could go to school wearing cardigans... Maybe it's the same thing?
bootlaced
Lord Chancellor

Post by bootlaced »

Neil F wrote:I thought that sort of nonsense was how your proved you were hard in Glasgow? I have some friends from Govan. Said the hardest kids in their school would go in wearing cardigans. You know, just to prove they were so hard that they could go to school wearing cardigans... Maybe it's the same thing?
Aye it will always come back on ya though as there is come kid who wants "Your" cardigan so he can look harder.I'll turn that Cardy into a tank top ya ............................. >EW
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

bootlaced wrote:
Neil F wrote:

The unanswered question: what was he wearing when he came out?
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
AndyB
Warrior Chief

Post by AndyB »

The Viper nightclub is one of my son's haunts. Must ask him if he was there that night.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

bootlaced wrote:
Neil F wrote:

Blame Bill McLaren, he was the first I ever heard utter the word. I quite like it, by the way, ken?
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

BR wrote:
bootlaced wrote:
Neil F wrote:

The unanswered question: what was he wearing when he came out?
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best