Ireland V Samoa - 9th November 2013

Stuff from around the world.

Moderator: Moderators

HwoodMike2umate
Lord Chancellor

Ireland V Samoa - 9th November 2013

Post by HwoodMike2umate »

Heading down early Saturday morning. Not sure where our £15 tickets are for but anyone else heading down?
Any suggestions for pre match pints?
http://www.cryptome.org/

Klaatu barada nikto

Nollaig Shona Daoibh
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Ireland V Samoa - 9th November 2013

Post by BaggyTrousers »

No.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
HwoodMike2umate
Lord Chancellor

Post by HwoodMike2umate »

looks like rain and temperature of 6C.
:(
http://www.cryptome.org/

Klaatu barada nikto

Nollaig Shona Daoibh
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Aye. We're heading down. Train from Maysfield at Noon. Looking for somewhere to watch the Engerland game pre-match.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
bootlaced
Lord Chancellor

Post by bootlaced »

I would imagine that Best, Tuohy,Henry and Bowe will start,with Fitzy, Court,Jackson and Luke Marshall on the bench.

The squad to be announced on thursday.
"Never whistle while you're pi$$ing", Hagbard Celine
ruckover
Lord Chancellor

Post by ruckover »

bootlaced wrote:I would imagine that Best, Tuohy,Henry and Bowe will start,with Fitzy, Court,Jackson and Luke Marshall on the bench.

The squad to be announced on thursday.
Best, Jackson, Marshall and Bowe to start. Court, Fitzy, Tuohy and Henry on the bench. Depending on injuries of course.
You haven't seen me at my best yet. Let's be honest, you probably never will.
damianmcr
Lord Chancellor

Post by damianmcr »

Rumours elsewhere are Best, Fitzpatrick, Jackson and Bowe to start with Henry on the bench. Looks setup that way from pictures in training.
bootlaced
Lord Chancellor

Post by bootlaced »

damianmcr wrote:Rumours elsewhere are Best, Fitzpatrick, Jackson and Bowe to start with Henry on the bench. Looks setup that way from pictures in training.

Never ever go by the pictures.Tuohy just has to start.And where do you get your rumours from.
bootlaced
Lord Chancellor

Post by bootlaced »

On a sad note,

Samoan legend Peter Fatialofa dies

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/inte ... alofa-dies

Popular Samoan rugby identity Peter Fatialofa has died. He was aged 54.

Reports say Fatialofa was taken ill suddenly and died this morning. It is understood Fatialofa had a heart attack while driving in Samoa and died in his car.

Reports in Samoa said he managed to pull the car into the car park of the T & N Toleafoa Supermarket in Apia around 7am.

He was found in the car by a security guard who found no pulse and applied CPR but Fatialofa failed to respond.

Fatialofa had been due to co-host his usual morning show on Radio Polynesia and the station became concerned when he didn't arrive.

His car was parked just around the corner and his co-host and radio owner Mapusua Corey Keil was stunned when he learned of the death.

Twitter was abuzz with shock amongst the Samoan and general rugby communities.

Fatialofa played for Manu Samoa between 1988 and 1996, making 34 test appearances.

He played two World Cups, including captaining Samoa at the 1991 tournament where they made a huge impact. He was honoured with a place in the World XV from that tournament.

The Ponsonby club stalwart played 72 games for Auckland and was part of their stunning Ranfurly Shield reign from 1985 to 1993.

The burly prop was often the custodian of the Log o'Wood and became a cult figure with his strength honed from working his furniture removal business and became known as New Zealand's most famous piano-mover.

Fatialofa was also a passionate coach and his career included stints in Auckland club rugby and with the Samoan test team.

He was the current coach of the Samoan women's team who recently qualified for next year's World Cup.Fatialofa was a made a Member of the New Zealand Order of merit in 1996 for his services to rugby.

He then moved back to Samoa, where last year he set up a tour company, Fats Tours.

"I wanted to build something up here in Samoa for my family," he told Fairfax Media last year.

"One day when they've got older and want to come home, they will have something to come home to.

"I am just trying to do what my dad did for us. That's the reason why I've come back."

Fatialofa spent much of his childhood in Samoa before bursting on to the Auckland rugby scene with his powerhouse performances for the famed Ponsonby club side.

New Zealand would always be special to him. But he said he also owed Samoa a lot.

"Obviously Auckland rugby gave me my name, but Samoa took me to the international level," Fatialofa said.

"I have always liked coming back to Samoa. My dad is buried here and I have family here.

"It has been 20 or 30 years since I have come back to settle down for a while. I love it . . . I just have to get the work."

Journalist Phil Gifford, who worked with Fatialofa on his biography Fats: Peter Fatialofa and the Manu Samoa Story that was published in 1996, described the man as "larger than life" and one of the real characters of the rugby scene who was revered both in New Zealand and Samoa.
Ad Feedback .

"He was hugely passionate about Samoan rugby and a real driving force of that 1991 World Cup where they really made their name," Gifford said, adding that he was shocked by the news of Fatialofa's death.

"Not only was he captain but he did a huge amount of work in the leadup with fundraising, just to make sure the players had a bit of a daily allowance.

"The British media loved him because he gave such colourful interviews."

Auckland Rugby issued a statement saying they were "mourning the loss of the one of this union's much-loved rugby personalities".

Board member and former team-mate Gary Whetton was saddened to hear of Fatialofa's passing.

"He was the ultimate team man - on the field he was huge and off the field such a gentleman. I am so sad for Anne and his family - we have all lost a brilliant man," Whetton said.

Whetton recalls Fatialofa was given the important role of 'Keeper of the Shield'.

"When we won the Ranfurly Shield in 1985, 'Fats' was charged as being the Keeper of the Shield. It was his job to keep it safe, to make sure it came on the road with us - he had to know where it was at all times, and I think a lot of those times it was at his house!"

:salut:
AndyB
Warrior Chief

Post by AndyB »

Sad news.
Kofi Annan
Lord Chancellor

Post by Kofi Annan »

HwoodMike2umate wrote:Heading down early Saturday morning. Not sure where our £15 tickets are for but anyone else heading down?
Any suggestions for pre match pints?
I would try where you normally go for a start, failing that any bar that has no ban on an attention seeking onesy wearing 50 something chube from knocknagoney, oh wait :duck:
“For the liespotter who knows how to listen well, the random words, sounds, and phrases in a person's speech are never as random as they seem. They offer a clear sightline into the liar's psyche.”
damianmcr
Lord Chancellor

Post by damianmcr »

bootlaced wrote:
damianmcr wrote:Rumours elsewhere are Best, Fitzpatrick, Jackson and Bowe to start with Henry on the bench. Looks setup that way from pictures in training.

Never ever go by the pictures.Tuohy just has to start.And where do you get your rumours from.
No particular source boot and they are just me regurgitating others rumours.
rorybestsbigbaldnoggin
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by rorybestsbigbaldnoggin »

In advance of the general indignation that will meet Schmitty's Leinster-plus selection, here's what I'd like us to field:

C Healy - R Best - T Court
POC-Tuohy
S O'Brien - Heaslip - C Henry

Murray
Jackson

D Kearney
T Bowe

L Marshall
BOD (is he fit?)
R Kearney

Can't be arsed populating a subs list, though Madigan will be there. I just doubt Trimble has done enough after a poor Leicester performance to push into the 15, should he get into the squad at all.
It's the hope that kills you.
damianmcr
Lord Chancellor

Post by damianmcr »

You want Court at TH?
Harold7
Warrior

Post by Harold7 »

My guess is the team will lineout like this

Kearney, Bowe :red: , BOD, D'Arcy, McFadden, Jackson :red: , Murray

Healy, Best :red: , Deccie Fitz :red: , Tuohy :red: , POC, POM, SOB, Heaslip

I don't mind D'Arcy getting a start as he has actually been playing well from what I've seen and if Sexton doesn't make it and PJ starts he could do a lot worse than line out alongside a centre pairing like BOD and D'Arcy. That said I would hope that Luke gets a start against Australia.