Heineken Cup Replaced

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Heineken Cup Replaced

Post by Rooster »

McTwattery has crawled out from under his stone again :roll:
INTERVIEW-Rugby-No going back on new European competition-McCafferty

By Mitch Phillips

LONDON Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:13pm GMT

Nov 13 (Reuters) - European rugby's new club competition is a "train that has left the station" but there is still just time to pick up the Heineken Cup refuseniks, the head of the English Premiership said on Wednesday.

Although there are still a number of issues to be finalised, notably about the governance, the English and French leagues and the Welsh regions are all committed to the new two-tier "Rugby Champions Cup" which will swing into action next season.

Ireland, whose clubs have excelled in the Heineken Cup in recent years, Scotland and Italy are still holding out in the hope that negotiations can save the existing competition, currently in its 19th season, but McCafferty said there was no going back.

"It's sorted. It's just a question of which teams want to join. Everyone has to make their own decision," McCafferty told Reuters after addressing Wednesday's Rugby Expo at Twickenham.

"For Ireland, Scotland and Italy it can be in or out but we're running out of time. We're in implementation mode now - we've had two years of discussions."

Asked if the "train had left the station," McCafferty said:

"Yes, if you want to use that analogy, but we can still adjust the route a bit.

"Of course we will still try to find ways to accommodate everyone's needs - we've already made concessions - but we don't really have any time left."

The breakaway competition initially came about in the wake of dissatisfaction among the England and French leagues over a qualification criteria they claimed favoured the Celtic nations and over the distribution of income.

SEALING FATE

They gave notice of their intention to leave the Heineken Cup 18 months ago and, after talks that made little headway, confirmed they would, if necessary, forge ahead with an Anglo-French competition, with the backing of TV broadcaster BT.

Last month the Welsh regions came on board, despite the opposition of the Welsh Rugby Union, just about sealing the fate of the Heineken Cup.

Of the 38 clubs who would effectively qualify for the Heineken and its secondary competition, the Amlin Challenge Cup, 30 are ready to proceed with the breakaway, along with another two proposed from Europe's "emerging" rugby nations.

"The clubs are telling us they want things in place quickly," McCafferty said. "They need to organise season tickets, fixtures, broadcast arrangements etc and those things need to start happening soon.

"At the end of May there will be a playoff for the final qualifying place so we really are just about at the end of the road."

For all his confident noises, however, McCafferty admitted that there were still some issues to be ironed out between the countries already committed.

The chief sticking point at the moment is the issue of "governance", with the English Premiership happy to proceed under the umbrella of the Six Nations in terms of discipline, refereeing, doping etc but with the French seeking some adjustments.

REACHED AGREEMENT

"We thought we'd reached agreement on that 10 days ago and we're putting up a fourth different proposal on governance today - a tweak to accommodate some other views," he told an audience of around 200 at the Expo.

"It's probably the last 10 percent of the issues but at this stage they could have 90 percent of importance in the debate.

"We've never suggested operating outside the current set-up but the new model allows the clubs and the leagues themselves to drive the competition forwards in the way they want to.

"The Heineken Cup was set up 20 years ago in very different rugby circumstances to now and we're saying we need to have competitions that touch new heights, both in sporting terms and the amount of revenue they bring in."

The financial side was certainly a major issue for the Welsh regions, desperate to find a way to prevent the loss of so many leading players to French and English clubs.

"Keeping players in Wales is a big problem at the moment and this is one of the ways we think will help combat that," Andrew Hore, CEO of the Ospreys told the Expo.

"Financially the new competition has given everyone certainty and in the end we couldn't see a reason to delay it. From our perspective there's no going back - it's going to happen."

However, there was a note of caution sounded by Steve Martin, a sports sponsorship expert at the M&C Saatchi agency.

"At the moment it is hard to recommend European rugby as a sponsorship opportunity, " he said. "For rugby, with the 2015 World Cup on the horizon, it's a great opportunity, but the message is 'don't mess it up'."
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

So much of it is things he has said for months, deadlines that still are open, running out of time etc.
Then he talks about fixtures and dates for matches all of which will need Union and broadcaster backing so the only time running out is his own time before he does the honorable thing and disappears up his own Brennan
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Wee Woman
Lord Chancellor

Post by Wee Woman »

Last 10%? :)

I would have thought that governance & the agreement of TV rights etc. would account for a tad more than 10% myself.

And how can you be in 'implementation mode' when none of the above is in place??

:scratch:
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Deluded. Absolutely deluded.
LegsLikeSausages
Warrior Chief

Post by LegsLikeSausages »

By his own timetable, McTwattery should have announced the detail of his new competition (including the structure of the 3 tier tournament and presumably the tournament sponsor) weeks ago. A BT expo today would also have given him an opportunity to make these announcements.

He didn't. Instead it was the same old rhetoric and empty threats.

All mouth and no trousers.

If and when it happens, I will enjoy this arrogant bell-end's demise.
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

He takes being a knob to an entire new level, very few reach such heights even our MLA's could only dream of such status !
Rory Best
Gael
Steward

Post by Gael »

Rooster wrote:He takes being a knob to an entire new level, very few reach such heights even our MLA's could only dream of such status !
He is a Test level knob
There was never a guard nor a customs man, got his nose inside that transit van.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Cornerfleg wrote:66 000 turned up to watch Cliff Richard and Daniel O'Donnell at the Millenium Stadium .... your point being?
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

I've never understood masochists.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
scrum5
Lord Chancellor

Post by scrum5 »

Can the Welsh regions just walk away from ERC without giving notice of intent as the French and English teams have done or does it not matter now as the French and English have left....
In memory of Nevin Spence 1990- 15th Sept. 2012
Axel..... 30 October 1973 - 16 October 2016
Pedrie Wannenburg. 2 January 1981 - 22 April 2022.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

The really really funny thing is, the rest of the merry men have shut the feck up.

RFU have pulled them into line?

Welsh still bent over in front of PRL, losing players like flies.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

scrum5 wrote:Can the Welsh regions just walk away from ERC without giving notice of intent as the French and English teams have done or does it not matter now as the French and English have left....
They presume there will no longer be an ERC, hence they will be free to walk away.

As has been said, what better platform could there have been to make announcements?

A BT run event with McTwattery et al present, lights.... camera ............ action - the RRC is to be................................. a damp fecking squib by the looks of it...................... nothing , rien, dim, niente, aon rud, neoni.

The only conclusion you can draw is that they are 100% up Scheiße Bach, wi'outta paddle. I await an early Christmas present in about a month's time.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
LegsLikeSausages
Warrior Chief

FFR, IRB and the rest of the Unions have them by the balls and they know it.

Watching McTwattery et al making all their noise is a little like watching a bunch of toddlers throwing a tantrum. The grown-ups are just watching them from a distance, waiting for them to burn themselves out before they fall asleep and get tucked up in bed without their supper.

Sleep tight little McTwattykins, the grown-ups are talking now...
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Tiger Tiger, bombs away. :lol:
LegsLikeSausages
Warrior Chief

BaggyTrousers wrote:Tiger Tiger, bombs away. :lol:
Just read it. Good work Ambassador.

With your Ferrero Rocher you are surely spoiling us...
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Rooster wrote:He takes being a knob to an entire new level, very few reach such heights even our MLA's could only dream of such status !
Two words..........Nelson McCausland.

In fairness he's the only one in that bracket.