John Afoa

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Yoda
Initiate

Re: John Afoa

Post by Yoda »

We all knew he was likely going so not surprised on that front but am shocked its England, that's quite a gamble to take on the family front, if the family didn't settle here I wonder why it's more likely they'll settle in England. Maybe already established family/ friends there or maybe family is staying in nz.

No matter, thx for his time here and wish him all the best for the future. At least we won't come up against him as opposition with England no longer in Europe and all that
againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

Post by againstthehead »

as above really. No surprise he's leaving but very surprised it's across the way. Better than Leinster all the same lol...
Climb up onto the top of your house and start screaming: 'stand up for the Ulstermen, stand.......'
Wee Woman
Lord Chancellor

Post by Wee Woman »

Yoda wrote:We all knew he was likely going so not surprised on that front but am shocked its England, that's quite a gamble to take on the family front, if the family didn't settle here I wonder why it's more likely they'll settle in England. Maybe already established family/ friends there or maybe family is staying in nz.

No matter, thx for his time here and wish him all the best for the future. At least we won't come up against him as opposition with England no longer in Europe and all that
That's pretty much what I was going to say Yoda.

No great outpouring here as it wasn't like we didn't know it was coming, but England - really???
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Russ wrote:So long as it's not Saracens then he can go an Ulsterman in my book
With Mrs C Hooks record I'd say old Lahndan Taaaaaaaaaan must be favourite so Sarries must be favourite.

Jesus, I'd not like to have to hate John but will if necessary. :duh: :duh: :duh:

None of my business but I'd have preferred he went to France rather than the hated PRL, he mustn't care a jot about HC rugby, maybe give him a chance to clock up more fecking airmiles.

It looks like ending in tears, for I really don't care which PRL club he goes to, I currently despise them all equally. Hope the Doc has a decent replacement lined up. :shock:
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Corvus corax
Novice

Post by Corvus corax »

It with be interesting seeing him take on Tom Court next season .... Unless he's heading to Irish as well?
shamalicious
Lord Chancellor

Post by shamalicious »

He was great for about a season and a half. He mentally hasn't been here since April last year if not before. When was the last time you saw him practically dance through other teams' defences like he did in his first season here?

It's probably the best for Ulster and him for them to part ways, hopefully we've a TH coming in who doesn't feel the need to take 12 holidays a year.
Nevin Spence 26 April 1990 – 15 September 2012 gone but never forgotten
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

I hear the PRL have prepared for his signing as they have created three two week windows in their schedule for John to fly home. Good thinking.............
jamsodonnell
Novice

Post by jamsodonnell »

With Tom Court leaving, which was inevitable if he wasnt getting an Irish contract and the news that Afoa is on the move, which we expected (although the destination has caught us out) added to the lengthening injury list, added to today with Tommy Bowe, I think it would be in Ulster Rugby's best interest to release a bit of good news to the supporters. Nobody need be in any doubt whatsoever that the departure of both starting props was a well known fact to the Ulster Management team and David Humphreys will have been on this case from some time ago. Would be an opportune time to share with the supporters , a new marquee signing.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Yoda wrote:We all knew he was likely going so not surprised on that front but am shocked its England, that's quite a gamble to take on the family front, if the family didn't settle here I wonder why it's more likely they'll settle in England. Maybe already established family/ friends there or maybe family is staying in nz.

Well, Mrs Hooks loves her shopping so London will suit better, that apart she found the local peasants to be narrow-minded racists so she has a much better chance of enjoying London. Opportunities to get involved in Jihad also if she feels that way inclined or the PRL Defence League, though Christ knows why she would want to do either. :roll:

I'll never say a bad word on John's rugby, he had pretty solid reasons for his build up of airmiles, not all publicly known, but I do believe that what has happened to him over the last 12 to 18 months cannot have failed to impact on him in every aspect of his life.

On the move to England, I could hardly be less happy. :x
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
TheElephantMan
Steward

Post by TheElephantMan »

As has been said before it was a shock and surprise john is going to England. Thanks Mr Afoa, it was a pleasure watching you play for Ulster....Thank you and good luck.
Kofi Annan
Lord Chancellor

Post by Kofi Annan »

Disappointed .
“For the liespotter who knows how to listen well, the random words, sounds, and phrases in a person's speech are never as random as they seem. They offer a clear sightline into the liar's psyche.”
silliwilli
Novice

Post by silliwilli »

Thanks and good luck. A good time to say goodbye as he has fallen well short of his best recently.
twiglet
Initiate

Post by twiglet »

I think Ulster are capable of offering him a worthwhile contract if we REALLY wanted to keep him. Don't think there are too many PRL clubs that would be able to offer a better contract - probably Saracens since they are just a past time for a very wealthy CEO who doesn't mind losing millions year after year.

Sad to see him go but I trust Humph will sort it.
Rovi Snave
Warrior

Post by Rovi Snave »

I will miss JA on the pitch but it's time for him to move on for various reasons - good luck John!!!

However his going to an English club (if that is the case) leaves a very bad taste in my mouth :puker:

Perhaps the 300 or so miles less will make Mrs Afoa feel significantly less homesick :duck:
Finished
ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Post by ColinM »

I'm going to take a wild guess and pin Afoa's hat on the London Irish peg.

Disappointed for him and in him tbh. For all the air miles he's clocked up and Mrs Hooks only wanted to live a 50minute hop away.

Wonder will she off home in another years time leaving him in limbo again?

Have to say though I feel privileged to have watched him in a white shirt. He was a revelation when compared to the big reputation that was BJ, seeing Afoa murder a loose head until he went to ground only to drop a knee, straighten the back haul him back up and murder him again was a sight for these sore eyes regularly. Throw in the sidestep and a pass that would serve p better than what he has and the package was complete.

Air miles undoubtedly took their toll on performances at the end of last season, and this term injury has robbed him of the opportunity to bed in to the new rules with the rest.