Casement Park … the inevitable question.

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Big Smoke Culchie
Squire

Re: Casement Park … the inevitable question.

Post by Big Smoke Culchie »

The IRFU own both Ravenhill and Landsdown road. Why would they send money in the direction of the GAA when they can maximise their own income? On a personal level, I would probably struggle with the idea of going to Casement for anything. I have no problem with Croke Park, but Casement brings up some pretty unpleasant memories of the troubles for me.
Joe Schmidt is a Leinster ballbag
Windeos
Warrior Chief

Post by Windeos »

I'd much rather go to Casement Park as a neutral venue than the Aviva.

Stadium looks like it's going to be fantastic.

It would be great if we continued on the upward trend we've been on to the point that we have to fill in the corners of Ravenhill. It's going to be a great stadium once finished this season. I can only imagine what it would be like as a 26-28k stadium.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Cap'n Grumpy wrote:
pip14 wrote:Just a general question, but in relation to filling in Ravenhills corners , would it be with Terracing or seating?
What would it bring the total capacity too, just wandering?
Don't wander off. Just in case you're wondering too ......

Both terracing AND seating - same designs and elevations as the other stands all the way round. You may notice that the roof lines are all identical to facilitate this. Current build is future-proofing this.

Capacity in the region of 26K
I heard a rough calculation of 2500 extra per corner so in theory topping up to a possible 28000. Then again, Grumps is usually closer to this sort of thing than I am so 26000 it is then. :lol:
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Windeos wrote:I'd much rather go to Casement Park as a neutral venue than the Aviva.

It would be great if we continued on the upward trend we've been on to the point that we have to fill in the corners of Ravenhill. It's going to be a great stadium once finished this season. I can only imagine what it would be like as a 26-28k stadium.
No idea exactly how many ST holders we have, somewhere in the region of 4000 - 5000 I think. I would suggest that until we at least double that and more likely treble it, it would not make too much sense - unless of course someone were to throw a wedge of cash in our direction, free, gratis & fer nathin'.

I understand we are skipping along nicely financially but the last thing we need is a debt burden until such times as we see a regular crowd average creeping upwards of 15000, many more than at present as ST holders.

My worry about filling the corners would be what would it do to the pitch. I am no expert but I see pitches that used to be excellent but with bowl stadia that are away to the mixers. I'll be fecked if I want to see a green & blue carpet like at Caaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaadiff.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

When will the new Windsor Park be ready?
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Cockatrice wrote:When will the new Windsor Park be ready?
When Carol's no longer in office, then it can start
ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Post by ColinM »

againstthehead wrote:
ColinM wrote:How many will Windsor hold?
3 men and a dog
Alright, I'll rephrase how many will it be able to hold.

And in answer to my own question it seems its about 18k, whereas I had 25k ish in my head. Nay use to us then.

Not to re-open the stadium debate, but two of the three stadia resulting from the aborted national stadium effort being the same size is a tad dipsy. We know that nobody would agree to open up their doors willy nilly, but if we'd ended up with a c.20k venue, a c.30k venue and a c.40k venue, it may have opened up future opportunities. Perhaps if Ravers gets up to near the 28k mark we're as good as there anyway.
Cockatrice
Lord Chancellor

Post by Cockatrice »

ColinM wrote:
againstthehead wrote:
ColinM wrote:How many will Windsor hold?
3 men and a dog
Alright, I'll rephrase how many will it be able to hold.

And in answer to my own question it seems its about 18k, whereas I had 25k ish in my head. Nay use to us then.

Not to re-open the stadium debate, but two of the three stadia resulting from the aborted national stadium effort being the same size is a tad dipsy. We know that nobody would agree to open up their doors willy nilly, but if we'd ended up with a c.20k venue, a c.30k venue and a c.40k venue, it may have opened up future opportunities. Perhaps if Ravers gets up to near the 28k mark we're as good as there anyway.
I too had thought Windsor would be 20,000+ and at first glance the picture of the ground gives a bigger impression than 18… but as they say size isn't everything.
Currently studying Stage 5 (level3) at IRFU
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Sure NI are tom kite
rocky
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by rocky »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
Windeos wrote:I'd much rather go to Casement Park as a neutral venue than the Aviva.

No idea exactly how many ST holders we have, somewhere in the region of 4000 - 5000 I think. I would suggest that until we at least double that and more likely treble it, it would not make too much sense - unless of course someone were to throw a wedge of cash in our direction, free, gratis & fer nathin'.

I understand we are skipping along nicely financially but the last thing we need is a debt burden until such times as we see a regular crowd average creeping upwards of 15000, many more than at present as ST holders.

My worry about filling the corners would be what would it do to the pitch. I am no expert but I see pitches that used to be excellent but with bowl stadia that are away to the mixers. I'll be fecked if I want to see a green & blue carpet like at Caaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaadiff.
6,700 ST holders this season, Baggy - or just over that. May well be more next season due to Ravers selling out so quickly for the big matches now.
Bo***cks to Brexit
Kofi Annan
Lord Chancellor

Post by Kofi Annan »

rocky wrote:
BaggyTrousers wrote:

6,700 ST holders this season, Baggy - or just over that. May well be more next season due to Ravers selling out so quickly for the big matches now.
Rocky, how many season ticket holders are abandoning the corporate stand to have season tickets in the new stand at a fraction of the price?
“For the liespotter who knows how to listen well, the random words, sounds, and phrases in a person's speech are never as random as they seem. They offer a clear sightline into the liar's psyche.”
AyeYerMa
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by AyeYerMa »

Right, tell ya what... If Ulster were playing there I'd head up alright. I believe at this point that the Ulster Council would be unlikely to object, there might be a few locals who don't like the "foreign sports" but sure we all had a giggle at yer wee man outside Croker with the hoops kit and the placard.

I've no GAA background at all, make of that what you will :P But I've spent some time in the company of ladies who have or whose families have... Including my current partner.

And I do know that many of them do not like visiting Casement. There's location generally (in Belfast), there's parking and there's "the people across the road" (a term I think I understand but I'm honestly not sure). So... I dunno. I think us Belfastians are pretty sure of ourselves whichever "quarter" we visit, outside of the city... I dunno.
I came for my woman, he came with a razor blade,
Bound like us all for the ocean
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

This lot wouldn't be very happy if we held our SF there!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-25451676
Wee Woman
Lord Chancellor

Post by Wee Woman »

Russ wrote:This lot wouldn't be very happy if we held our SF there!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-25451676
Oh shouty woman, I was embarrassed for her watching that tbh lol.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

It's hilarious how they just invade across the pitch, then your woman shows up with a pram