How did Roland perform?

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

How did Roland perform?

1. Equally rubbish for both sides
41%
2. Blew Ulster off the park
17%
3. Blew Munster off the park
No votes
4. Good, albeit with a couple of bad calls here and there
37%
5. Excellent
5%

Total votes: 59

BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: How did Roland perform?

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Dublin4 wrote:I thought Rolland had a super game.
He doesn't waste time with scrum resets That is quite a remarkable statement D4, he ruined the scrum last night with his endless pause between instructions & there were plenty of resets.and silly referrals to the TMOalso bizarre, he had endless looks at the pull back on Gilroy, there was no way he shouldn't have been in a position to decide himself on a YC &/or penalty try.. He makes decisions. He is a treat to have at a time when the game is being blighted by ridiculous stoppages. I like his control and knowledge base. He will be missed after this season.

Is there any ref operating in this part of the northern hemisphere Ulster fans believe is untainted by biasNo there is not, I hate it when Ulster get an Irish referee, the current crop are less competant than the Scots of a few years back. The one problem with him going is that next year we will probably get than arsehat Dudley Doright against the Tornips, so no chance of beating them in future. or is it that the whole world is against you? No just the Irish, they regard us as awful foreigners I presume you believe that Rolland purposely fabricated his telling off of POC to disguise his hatred of all things Ulster.No he did it for purposes of self-aggrandisement, the big man, top semi-cheese eating surrender monkey, the MAN.

There must be a PhD thesis to be written on this. I would happily do that but sadly I'll be washing my few remaining hairs for the rest of the day.
Farewell Frenchie, ya wee ballix. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
GLENN CORNICK
Squire

Post by GLENN CORNICK »

"I presume you believe that Rolland purposely fabricated his telling off of POC to disguise his hatred of all things Ulster."

Wrote Dublin 4.

And with that comment you reveal your own wish to promote a negative stereotype.

Your tripping over your own "sophistication"; or is just sophistry?

In fact one could wonder where the paranoia really lies, dont you think? >EW
Beware PC Filth of the Thought Police.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Snipe Watson wrote:Can I ask those who maintain that Rolland was anti Ulster to answer these two questions.

Why did he not pretend he had seen the ball grounded when they rolled another maul over our line? Nobody could have proved him wrong.
Why did he award us a penalty to take away Muster’s LBP when he could have called it the other way as most of MF.com claim?

Rolland is an arrogant 'look at me, I'm the best referee in the world' prat, but he's no cheat. Nothing is more important to him than his own reputation and he will protect it at all costs. he wants the big games and he'll not get them with bad assessments.
Let me ask you a question Snipe. Were you in Dublin the day he first cheated Ulster, pre-99 when reffing us to defeat in the 90th minute against Dublin, sorry Mexico?

Its not in the blatant things that cheats like Frenchie thrive, its in the more subtle ways in which he is not even-handed and worse still in his penchant for the "landmark decision" that can spoil games. It's in how folk like D4 genuinely perceive him to ref the scrum well, than he fecks it about like last night.

He is not Clancy, he's not the Funky Arsegibbon, thank Christ he's not that Arsehat Dudley Doright but he's not Nigel Owens either. Nigel often produces great games, Frenchie tries to produce great reffing performances.

The only loss he will be is that many who come after will simply be incompetent like Dudley.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

GLENN CORNICK wrote:"I presume you believe that Rolland purposely fabricated his telling off of POC to disguise his hatred of all things Ulster."

Wrote Dublin 4.

And with that comment you reveal your own wish to promote a negative stereotype.

Your tripping over your own "sophistication"; or is just sophistry?

In fact one could wonder where the paranoia really lies, dont you think? >EW
assclown.jpg
assclown.jpg (8.68 KiB) Viewed 605 times
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

It has to be better not have have Irish refs in these fixtures.

I don't personally believe that any of them deliberately cheat. That's not to say that there is not sometimes a subconscious bias caused by a home loyalty or even a desire to be fair and favour the other side.

Plenty of crap refs in Scotland and Wales without using ours.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Baggy I said they refereed by word and Gesture Davy Wallace I agree seldom said much but he could and did gesture quite frequently

The fact that they all do it and do it for effect is the cheat. I won't say Ulster were blameless at it last night but the fact that both teams resorted to it makes the game so much harder for the referee.

Because both teams did it last night both sides started to suffer from some dodgy decisions.

On most occasions referees the referees get the call right whether he was good or bad frequently should not be made on his decisions but whether he was consistent and fair .

At times Rolland has failed that test last night Munster got away with a lot of in at the side in the rucks , playing the man off the ball , body checking off the ball and failure to return on side quickly and thereby interfering with play.

The PoM incident comes to mind it wasn't just that PoM went for and got the ball the fact was Ulster because of the failure of Munster players to get out of the way and on side hindered Ulster from supporting the Ball carrier . rolland could sense something was wrong but couldn't identify it correctly because Munster had been doing it all night.
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
rocky
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by rocky »

Yet again, I am bemused by the vitriol* (too strong but I can't think of a better word) some are pouring out about Irish refs, especially in comparison with many others. Yes, Phillips is incompetent but Clancy and Fitzgibbon have improved a lot, Lacey is good, and Rolland is still a very good ref. Admittedly, I couldn't follow some of his decisions at scrum time and he also made a few dodgy decisions against Munster but the one thing he did very well was to keep complete control of a match that could easily have turned into a war. He told the players what he wanted clearly and was not fazed by all the chat from POC and POM. There are many worse refs than Rolland out there, IMHO.
* Would opprobrium do, Snipe?
Bo***cks to Brexit
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

Lol have a look on MF.com Rocky, makes this look like a love in.

Always the same when we play Munster, they are a niggly cynical team that drag you down by off the ball interfering, slow rolling away and general cute hoorisim.
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Clancy has improved until he comes up against Ulster
Lacey is a good ref, until he sees someone with a red hand on his shirt
Fitzgibbon is a chube
damianmcr
Lord Chancellor

Post by damianmcr »

You'll need to ask his Mrs.
Dublin4
Warrior Assassin

Post by Dublin4 »

Glenn,
I will let others judge my level of sophistication (or lack thereof) but don't confuse it with my attempt at irony.

I shudder to think of the reaction on this page to Rollers if Ulster had lost!
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Dublin4 wrote:Glenn,
I will let others judge my level of sophistication (or lack thereof) but don't confuse it with my attempt at irony.

I shudder to think of the reaction on this page to Rollers if Ulster had lost!
Just need to look at MF and ignore all the chubes to see the reaction you would have seen here.

And by chubes, I mean 97% of posters there
blerta
Novice

Post by blerta »

I felt Mr Rolland had a good game and was very patient with the Munster team , that's all I've got to say about him and the game
Wilson Whineray, All Black captain was asked for his opinion following their defeat to an English counties team.

He replied, "Tonight the sun will go down and tomorrow it will rise again."
Scholar
Initiate

Post by Scholar »

Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (156.48 KiB) Viewed 561 times
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

rocky wrote:Yet again, I am bemused by the vitriol* (too strong but I can't think of a better word) some are pouring out about Irish refs, especially in comparison with many others. Yes, Phillips is incompetent but Clancy and Fitzgibbon have improved a lot, Lacey is good, and Rolland is still a very good ref. Admittedly, I couldn't follow some of his decisions at scrum time and he also made a few dodgy decisions against Munster but the one thing he did very well was to keep complete control of a match that could easily have turned into a war. He told the players what he wanted clearly and was not fazed by all the chat from POC and POM. There are many worse refs than Rolland out there, IMHO.
* Would opprobrium do, Snipe?
Ah Rocky, no FFS no don't say that. >EW >EW >EW

15 years of being prepared to see Ulster lose since he cheated us blatantly against Mexico in Donnybrook, I will never forgive the semi-surrender monkey with his foul garlic breath & cheesy farts. >threaten

Irish refereeing is at an all time low in my opinion. You at least confirm my "incompetent" label of Doright. Lets see if we can get some agreement here.

I will accept that Clancy has improved if we can agree that his rating has gone from "Incompetent bigot" to "poor but improving bigot"

Here is the deal breaker Rocky, I can't accept that Fitzgibbon has improved one iota. Can we rank him with Dudley? I think he has found his natural level as a touchie.

Lacey is currently disappointing me, I too thought he was our next good ref, I have not been impressed with him lately and not just against Ulster.

Our cupboard seems pretty bare at present, to think we laughed so heartily at the Scots eejits a few years back. The Welsh seem to be the better ones other than the renowned cheat Neil Hennessey.

Bring back Alan Lewis, the last Irish referee to give a balanced performance when Ulster are involved. :thumleft: