Ulster V Ospreys: Positives and negatives

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Ulster V Ospreys: Positives and negatives

Post by Russ »

Wee Woman wrote:
damianmcr wrote:Theirs a flipping echo so when youre singing SUFTUM in the Prom you are out of sync! Is it the same everywhere?
Yes, the big stand are ahead of us in the Memorial Stand singing SUFTUM too. It's odd.
Try going to the Allianz Arena in Munich

It's designed to do that
Wee Woman
Lord Chancellor

Ulster V Ospreys: Positives and negatives

Post by Wee Woman »

I thought McKinney was poor tonight, on more than a few occasions it appeared that he just didn't know what to do with the ball. I was relieved to see him go off to be honest.

Payne was fairly ineffective at 13 tonight, I haven't a baldy why the Irish media think he's going to be Ireland's answer to the BOD question other than basing this on Payne's last season with the Blues 3 years ago and pre the Achilles injury. The better 13 was playing at 12 tonight.

I don't quite get all the negatives about Doyle, he's not and never was going to be another Chad. Like Andrew, I think he does an adequate enough job for us in games like this, nothing spectacular but enough.

Felt a bit sorry for Mikey Allen, the lad is mad keen to make an impression and he had another unfortunate off night tonight. His warning from Owens was unduly harsh.

Finally, all credit to those supporters who stood out in that tonight, particularly those on the Promenade side. Thank god my wet to the knickers days on the Prom are behind me lol.
Gael
Steward

Post by Gael »

Anyone think Schmidt has told Cave to get on the end of more tries? That guy has once again brought the same level of consistency he has before but now is scoring tries that he once would have maybe tried to give to others (but when you're as good a passer as DC it is much the same outcome). I may have lived in the era of BO'D but it is Darren Cave that I am excited to watch at the weekend now.
There was never a guard nor a customs man, got his nose inside that transit van.
Jockster
Squire

Post by Jockster »

Wee Woman wrote:?........Thank god my wet to the knickers days on the Prom are behind me lol.
Awful night indeed. Fair play to all who suffered that fate tonight to SUFTUM :fleg:
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

Snipe Watson wrote:
Jackie Brown wrote:McKinney is far to light weight for the professional game.
He's just not good enough. He's possibly bigger than PJ.
He doesn't have the strength, Ospreys targeted him and turned him with ease.
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
CIMANFOREVER
Lord Chancellor

Post by CIMANFOREVER »

Wee Woman wrote:I thought McKinney was poor tonight, on more than a few occasions it appeared that he just didn't know what to do with the ball. I was relieved to see him go off to be honest.

Payne was fairly ineffective at 13 tonight, I haven't a baldy why the Irish media think he's going to be Ireland's answer to the BOD question other than basing this on Payne's last season with the Blues 3 years ago and pre the Achilles injury. The better 13 was playing at 12 tonight.

I don't quite get all the negatives about Doyle, he's not and never was going to be another Chad. Like Andrew, I think he does an adequate enough job for us in games like this, nothing spectacular but enough.

Felt a bit sorry for Mikey Allen, the lad is mad keen to make an impression and he had another unfortunate off night tonight. His warning from Owens was unduly harsh.

Finally, all credit to those supporters who stood out in that tonight, particularly those on the Promenade side. Thank god my wet to the knickers days on the Prom are behind me lol.
About 100% nail on the head, apart from Doyle WW.
Unless Payne was still carrying an injury, he should've went to 15, with LM and DC 12 and 13, at the half-way mark. Sorry, RA has never cut it for me; aimless Garrys and running up his own 'arris a speciality. Where's Nelson (and we let D'Arsy go for this?...)
McKinney mixed poor with average tonight, given even RP's service was off. Still willing to give him some benefit of the doubt in fairer weather, but loosing patience. Maybe it's how he carries himself that gives me the ar*e, but he needs to walk the walk, rather than empty swagger.
The main mystery is why we didn't empty the bench big guns earlier, and take them on up front. Doyle was also out muscled again. Agree with previous posters, unfortunately, he seems to be too lightweight for this level. I would've went Wilson/ Diack 6/7, and Williams 8. Only Wilson and Hendo had the dander up- rest looked like they wanted their feet up in their onesies.

Ospreys seconds played a smarter game than us; played to their limitations and the weather- tight, muscular mauling game by and large, spread it when we were stretched. Concerned however, how easily they out thought us and opened us up- only last ditch tackling saved our bacon a number of times... a lot of missed tackles.. poor all round- few heroes tonight. That game should've been a 6 point turnaround (or 5, given the weather,) rather than 3..
As an aside, both TC and JA were anonymous tonight, scrummaging apart..... aw well, on nights like this in Gloucester, webbed feet will be an asset... and he thinks NI is a shytehole...... >seeya
Exterminate all rational thought
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

You have to remember that the Ospreys side has played 2 LV cup matches over past 2 weeks so time to get organised while our lads last played 3 weeks ago.
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Jockster
Squire

Post by Jockster »

Well once again (thankfully) the main positive--and the only one that matters is we won.

I don't know what it is, and maybe it's my perception but we seem to sit back at the start of some matches and let the opposition attack us and score. We then wake up a bit. Is this a tactic?
eeyore
Initiate

Post by eeyore »

Don't think it's anything to do with his weight. He's not good enough for this level. Tonight his kicking was aimless, decision making shocking, seeing non existent gaps and losing the ball on at least 4 occasions. He can't control a game or get a back line moving. Matthew Morgan looked a lot slighter than him and yet had a decent game. Shouldn't be near the squad
Wooohooo!! Only donkey left on the board
Jockster
Squire

Post by Jockster »

eeyore wrote:
Don't think it's anything to do with his weight. He's not good enough for this level. Tonight his kicking was aimless, decision making shocking, seeing non existent gaps and losing the ball on at least 4 occasions. He can't control a game or get a back line moving. Matthew Morgan looked a lot slighter than him and yet had a decent game. Shouldn't be near the squad
Thought Morgan looked very good overall. Maybe that should be a negative to keep on topic. >seeya
eeyore
Initiate

Post by eeyore »

Negative - that the score board controller can't even spell the legends' name. Piennar?? Really! Does no-one these things or is it assumed that there's no need?
Wooohooo!! Only donkey left on the board
Jockster
Squire

Post by Jockster »

Let's not forget that a massive positive was that the Banbridge and Strabane P7s put on a great show at half time.
Yoda
Initiate

Post by Yoda »

Why can we not close a game out? I've lost count of the number of times this year when all we have to do is go through a few phases with ball up the jumper and then kick it out but instead we make stupid mistakes like knocking it on or in tonight's case, with 45 seconds to go, perhaps time for 3 or 4 rumbles, we decide to kick it back to them for one last go at us.

Others do it so well, it needs sorted
Mr Frosty
Initiate

Post by Mr Frosty »

What a dire game of rugby

Can someone explain how a tight head is supposed to bind against his opposite lose head at scrum time. Is he to bind on the body or the arm?
Till youve tasted Frosty's you don't know jack
againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

Post by againstthehead »

Joe Schmo wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote: How can you possibly write a negatives section that long and not mention how incredibly bad McKinney was?
I think I know why.
I don't want a rash lol. I generally prefer not to single lads out for a drilling under the negatives. For example, I use terms like 'we weren't great under the high ball'. The 'newbies' struggled a bit tonight and agree that it's hard to see how a couple of them will make it at this level. But, it all we've got when we lose a few players (paddymac, fitzy, Dan, 1F, Henry, Jacko, Olding, PW, Trimble, Bowe and Farrell.

Ospreys were pretty decent last night and the squad players did well to hold on for the win. Don't forget some of the stars weren't fantastic either. Ruan made a catalog of mistakes - missed tackles, missed touches, etc etc. Jared was extremely quiet. It was a difficult night and as a couple of folk said above - Take the win and run.
Climb up onto the top of your house and start screaming: 'stand up for the Ulstermen, stand.......'