Flegs for Sarries Game

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Flegs for Sarries Game

Post by BaggyTrousers »

I wish you all moderate success with you collegiate wish to be both witty and somehow original with a piece of coloured cloth.

I have never owned never mind waved any fleg in the entirety of my benighted existence and fast approaching my seventh decade I have no wish to be a kiddies quiz question, such as "who is the sad old dickhead with the irrelevant dumbassed fleg?"

Harrumph,good day to you.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
namron
Warrior Chief

Post by namron »

AndyB wrote:
namron wrote:
Kofi Annan wrote:I prefer this flag of The Lord Protector

image.jpg

One of the first British Republicans. Much maligned yet resisted the crown and the power of succession.
Resisted power of succession??

Funny that the next Lord Protector after O. Cromwell was R. Cromwell.
Note that they decided not to be crowned Kings and invoke divine right etc
Richard followed Oliver much like George W followed George
We dont need the English to win the European Cup
namron
Warrior Chief

Post by namron »

BaggyTrousers wrote:I wish you all moderate success with you collegiate wish to be both witty and somehow original with a piece of coloured cloth.

I have never owned never mind waved any fleg in the entirety of my benighted existence and fast approaching my seventh decade I have no wish to be a kiddies quiz question, such as "who is the sad old dickhead with the irrelevant dumbassed fleg?"

Better than being a sad old dickhead
mid ulster maestro
Warrior Chief

Post by mid ulster maestro »

I think you are safe there Baggy. The answer to the question is undoubtedly HWM.
When the bottom has fallen out of your world.
Take Enos and let the world fall out of your bottom!
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

My fleg celebrates its 10th birthday around now. And I still receive compliments on it half a dozen times a season. No doubt there are greater numbers thinking, “What at tosser,” but they are not so likely to approach me and express their opinion (no doubt someone will prove me wrong next month).

As a self-confessed anorak, vexillology has always been a passing interest, and I admit to enjoying spotting and trying to identify the more obscure flegs. It all adds a bit of colour and could only really annoy the grumpier old gits amongst us. So please do not let our standards slip.
Last edited by BR on Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

mid ulster maestro wrote:I think you are safe there Baggy. The answer to the question is undoubtedly HWM.
That's the answer to quite a few questions MUM so you're not exactly going out on a limb.......
VanTheMan
Novice

Post by VanTheMan »

Or just go for the simple option! A few years back UR handed out white plastic shopping bags for supporters to wave! on away trips - think it happened twice to my mind, Glasgow and Leinster.

How far we have come !! probably stopped by a combo of the H&S regulations, not child friendly, and introduction of the bag tax, VfM business analysis couldn't be proven!

Around the same time UR didn't have a budget for sweets and Sparky had to fund out of his own pocket(s)! I'll leave the debate............. bears do / don't have pockets or even pouches!

Hopefully there will be sufficient 'official UR flags' distributed on the day to add to the occasion.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

namron wrote:
BaggyTrousers wrote:I wish you all moderate success with you collegiate wish to be both witty and somehow original with a piece of coloured cloth.

Better than being a sad old dickhead
Matter of opinion I suppose Norm. >EW
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

mid ulster maestro wrote:I think you are safe there Baggy. The answer to the question is undoubtedly HWM.
Indeed Mum, a santa hat with Cochise make up & a Saudi Fleg? Suppose there are no other words that fit the description better. :thumleft:
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

BR wrote:My fleg celebrates its 10th birthday around now. And I still receive compliments on it half a dozen times a season. No doubt there are greater numbers thinking, “What at tosser,” but they are not so likely to approach me and express their opinion (no doubt someone will prove me wrong next month).

As a self-confessed anorak, vexillology has always been a passing interest, and I admit to enjoying spotting and trying to identify the more obscure flegs. It all adds a bit of colour and could only really annoy the grumpier old gits amongst us. So please do not let our standards slip.
BR, your fleg is a prince amongst flegs, celebrating man's two most wonderful accomplishments, Ulster Rugby and stout, two entirely compatible bedfellows. I find it pleasing to the eye whereas many or a lot of the regs waved at Ravenhill do my cranium in & I find the simple desire to wave any reg which approximates to Ulster's colours vexing.

Indeed I would have thought a self-confessed vexillologist like yourself would be vexed that chubes are so simple-minded as to feel anything remotely red or white will do the job. We aren't Georgan nor Japanese, neither are we Greenlandic, we are Ulstermen & weemen.

Wonder how many are wondering if you have to be vexed to be a vexillogist?
Mr Frosty
Initiate

Post by Mr Frosty »

namron wrote:The game is looming large now People. What flag will ye bring ? I don't want to Hear Wee six or Big nine ones mentioned .Originality is the name of the game here

I am bringing this 'No Quarter' pirate Fleg from the !8th century. The colours are close to ours and depicts time being short and death being sure. Just the banner for these gets from Landan

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Flag_ ... _Moody.svg
namron you didnt find that at the tigers game did you? as I seem to have misplaced my fleg - actually not to sure if it was Leicester or Treviso that the fleg and I parted company
Till youve tasted Frosty's you don't know jack
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

BaggyTrousers wrote:[Indeed I would have thought a self-confessed vexillologist like yourself would be vexed that chubes are so simple-minded as to feel anything remotely red or white will do the job. We aren't Georgan nor Japanese, neither are we Greenlandic, we are Ulstermen & weemen.

I think that this country would well remember that flegs (on land) are indeed nothing more than a ‘lot of regs’.

While there may be objections, we live in a monarchy where the personification of the nation(s) is the head of state. Other countries lacking this focal point are required to invest their symbolism of nationhood in a colourful piece of bed linen; demanding (even enforcing) a respect for some haberdashery enshrined in law and those constitutions things that they also require. They have to bestow an aura around them to a degree that they should receive a ceremonial burial when they reach the end of their usefulness.

Here a fleg can be considered a bit of fun.

Now that does not mean that I am not saddened when I see a disrespect for the institutions these flegs signify when they are misused on flegpoles (or lamp-posts as the English call them) around the place. But at Ravenhill I don’t see any disrespect (either conscious or ignorant).

With regards to my own banner, I thank you for your kind words. The fact that it has reached its 10th birthday (I won’t say unscathed), is a mystery. It has been lost, stolen, and simply left on the walls of pubs in a number of European cities over that time. We are not the US marine corp, and although our duty of mutual care precludes us from leaving anyone behind (unless they’re just being f**kin stupid), this would not automatically extend to the fleg. But, so far, so good. Any separations have been short lived.
iwojima.jpg
iwojima.jpg (20.48 KiB) Viewed 566 times
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
namron
Warrior Chief

Post by namron »

Fraid not Frosty I parted with four hundred and ninety nine of her majesties pennies for it not 2 weeks ago.

Always liked the red pirates flag- gives a bit of an edge with the no quarter innuendo :red:

Hear hear BR well said :thumleft:
Corvus corax
Novice

Post by Corvus corax »

For what it's worth I think the variety of flags adds something and I'd hope the NZ and SA flags are appreciated by our overseas players. For me it's Henry Avery's pirate flag.

Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Mike McGoldrick loves stout

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk