Shooting star

Fancy a pint? Join the crai­c and non-rugby topics here.

Moderator: Moderators

pythagoras
Warrior Assassin

Shooting star

Post by pythagoras »

So you're out for a walk of a late evening and your companion says "Oh look a shooting star!" and it's gone before you see it.
Well not this noce Jose, tonight I seen the shootin' star!
Gemma
Warrior
Location: Rescued from the English, abandoned in frozen North

Re: Shooting star

Post by Gemma »

Well done, I had to go to Morocco to see my first
themezz
Novice

Post by themezz »

Spend a bit of time watching the stars and you'd be amazed at what you can see with the naked eye.

Sent from my SM-T210 using Tapatalk
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

I used to have a static van in the wilds of Donegal, all mod cons, double glazing & central heating. Saw the northern lights wan July, not quite what you see in documentaries but still quite breathtaking.

Was also up there one late October for a drinking break with my best mate when there was practically nobody about & the village had shut down for the night. A balmy night despite the time of year - maybe a few good stout helped - but myself and buddy settled back in recliners with a bottle of wine and the night sky was amazing, I've never seen that many stars anywhere in the world. You can't look up there and see that many stars without concluding there simply has to be life out there. Finding it is the only problem.

I have also seen a shooting star or two. Most often while lying back in the hot-tub in my wee hovel in Spain.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
brianc
Warrior Assassin

Post by brianc »

When I saw the title of this thread I just assumed it was Baggy, & that "in the face" would appear somewhere..............
Gemma
Warrior

Post by Gemma »

I was aurora hunting a few weeks ago and went to Downhill Beach; saw very little of the lights, but the view of the stars was incredible. Once you get away from the city lights, it really is breathtaking. When you find somewhere that really is the back end of beyond, you can even see the cluster of stars making up the Milky Way streaking across the sky. Beautiful stuff.
Hans Indaruck
Squire

Post by Hans Indaruck »

Hope is not a strategy.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Gemma wrote:I was aurora hunting a few weeks ago and went to Downhill Beach; saw very little of the lights, but the view of the stars was incredible. Once you get away from the city lights, it really is breathtaking. When you find somewhere that really is the back end of beyond, you can even see the cluster of stars making up the Milky Way streaking across the sky. Beautiful stuff.
I know this isn't a game of one-upmanship Gemma but that night in Donegal it was so clear & so little light pollution you could see what appeared to be depth and layers within the milky way. You were looking at millions if not billions of stars. I'll never forget it.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Gemma
Warrior

Post by Gemma »

Hans Indaruck wrote:This says it all!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... q4uCWtQE24
How random!
Hans Indaruck
Squire

Post by Hans Indaruck »

Gemma wrote:
Hans Indaruck wrote:This says it all!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... q4uCWtQE24
How random!
'Random' Gemma? Surely the word you are looking for is 'apposite'?!
Hope is not a strategy.
Gemma
Warrior

Post by Gemma »

I'm going to assume that is some Monty Python reference, which will go over my head as I've never watched it.....
Hans Indaruck
Squire

Post by Hans Indaruck »

Gemma wrote:I'm going to assume that is some Monty Python reference, which will go over my head as I've never watched it.....
It is the indeed the Monty Python 'Universe' song - you really should check it out - it will not 'go over your head' I assure you - just a humorous way of putting life on earth into some perspective!
Hope is not a strategy.
Gemma
Warrior

Post by Gemma »

I did watch it, it's amusing. I'm not convinced about the whole Monty Python thing though.... :duck:
Neil F
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neil F »

BaggyTrousers wrote:I know this isn't a game of one-upmanship Gemma but that night in Donegal it was so clear & so little light pollution you could see what appeared to be depth and layers within the milky way. You were looking at millions if not billions of stars. I'll never forget it.
I had a similar experience a few years back... Not somewhere as amazing as Donegal, I'm afraid but whilst doing some work in the middle of the Thar Desert; a little too close to Pakistan for my liking and a good couple of hundred kilometres from any artificial light source. It was a warm night, so a few of us decided to pitch up outside in the sand. Lying in that total blackness and staring at the stars is one of the memories that I hope stays with me forever. I'm a bit of a stargazer, so usually know what I'm looking for but it was impossible to pick out even the most obvious of the constellations because there were too many stars to see.

What made the night, though, was when some old fella appeared out of nowhere with a bag full of beers. Christ knows where he'd come from. Nearest village must have been about 30km away... Needless to say, we bought everything he had.
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

This is great if you want to put red cards, fleg protests or any of the other nonsense into some kind of perspective.

The Scale of the Universe 2: http://youtu.be/uaGEjrADGPA

Our street was invaded by Jehovah's witnesses yesterday. Mrs BM toul them to stop fretting about the afterlife and start enjoying the one they had. Good advice for a Sunday afternoon I thought.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall