Stat Attack: 13/14 Pro12 Attendances

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Stat Attack: 13/14 Pro12 Attendances

Post by mikerob »

Scores on the doors are as follows.
1314 Pro12.jpg
1314 Pro12.jpg (83.89 KiB) Viewed 2221 times
Overall total attendances down a smidgen.

Ulster attendances up substantially to be the second best supported team in the competition (4th last season)

Ulster won't overtake Leinster while Leinster play their game against Munster at the Aviva, but could come pretty close if it was just Ravenhill vs. RDS. And of course Leinster pay rent for their games at the RDS and Aviva.

Munster are still playing 7 games at Thomond, 4 games at Musgrave Park so they could get more playing all at Thomond, but average attendances at Thomond are down.

Welsh attendances are generally meh and would be worse if it wasn't for the double header at the Millennium stadium.

Glasgow showing some good growth on the back of their good league performances and having a proper home at Scotstoun must help as well.
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Re: Stat Attack: 13/14 Pro12 Attendances

Post by mikerob »

Also FYI, in comparison with the AP team attendances in their home grounds (excluding games at Twickenham and Wembley), Ulster would be third, quite a bit behind Leicester who average over 20k, just behind Gloucester and just ahead of Quins.

Leinster get more than Gloucester but less than Leicester.

It shows that when it comes to week-in, week-out gates for home games, Ulster is in a better position than most of the AP teams.

Having games at Twickenham and Wembley may boost attendance stats, but these games may be loss-leaders.
ladyboy696969
Novice

Post by ladyboy696969 »

That total of 1,090,615 is a bit high me thinks. Did you count the 30k crowd at the welsh double header twice?
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

ladyboy696969 wrote:That total of 1,090,615 is a bit high me thinks. Did you count the 30k crowd at the welsh double header twice?
That's the practice for these games - the double header attendance is counted as a home crowd for both of the 2 designated home teams.
twiglet
Initiate

Post by twiglet »

Welsh clubs give LOTS of tickets away free to boost attendances. When I was at Dragons match last year there was a whole section in the stand where everyone had a free ticket.
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

twiglet wrote:Welsh clubs give LOTS of tickets away free to boost attendances. When I was at Dragons match last year there was a whole section in the stand where everyone had a free ticket.
I don't think we're in a position to do that yet. Maybe the season after next, it'll make more sense.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
damianmcr
Lord Chancellor

Post by damianmcr »

Munster state numbers based on ST holders but not actual attendance. Do the numbers above do the same?

Look forward to see our numbers for next season.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Given the stated attendance at TP on Saturday, I'd take the Munster figure with a big pinch of salt.
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

AFAIK all teams include ST holders as part of their attendances.
Thelaw
Steward

Post by Thelaw »

BR wrote:
twiglet wrote:Welsh clubs give LOTS of tickets away free to boost attendances. When I was at Dragons match last year there was a whole section in the stand where everyone had a free ticket.
I don't think we're in a position to do that yet. Maybe the season after next, it'll make more sense.
BR I don'y think we want to be in a position where we give away free tickets. They do it to try and boost attendance numbers, this year even with the stand being closed almost every game was a sellout, and hopefully we can keep the numbers going. That said I don remember when Ulster did give out free tickets, indeed it was what got me and my family interested. Mind you that was in the 1980's :fleg:
Dura lex sed lex
damianmcr
Lord Chancellor

Post by damianmcr »

mikerob wrote:AFAIK all teams include ST holders as part of their attendances.
Our season tickets holder turn up
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Reckon there was about 7000 in thomond on saturday

Sent from my Brennan
HammerTime
Warrior Assassin

Post by HammerTime »

mikerob wrote:
ladyboy696969 wrote:That total of 1,090,615 is a bit high me thinks. Did you count the 30k crowd at the welsh double header twice?
That's the practice for these games - the double header attendance is counted as a home crowd for both of the 2 designated home teams.
That Aviva game has blown the rest of us out of the water for Leinster. Other than that Aviva game, with our stadium done we should be something similar next year. What about moving 1 big game to Casement every year when it's done. The Xmas game vs Munster or Leinster. Could surely get 30k, would look decent in a 38k capacity. Much bullish!t/politics involved, but have to start taking risks/thinking outside of the box for world domination.
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Thelaw wrote:
BR wrote:
BR I don'y think we want to be in a position where we give away free tickets. They do it to try and boost attendance numbers, this year even with the stand being closed almost every game was a sellout, and hopefully we can keep the numbers going. That said I don remember when Ulster did give out free tickets, indeed it was what got me and my family interested. Mind you that was in the 1980's :fleg:
With the best will in the world we have 18k capacity and we're not going to fill it week in, week out, season after season. A controlled distribution of comps to schools, etc would be no bad thing. A) for the future and B) for sponsorship reasons. And that is ignoring C) the whole education/community aspect.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Thelaw
Steward

Post by Thelaw »

BR as long as these tickets are confined to poorly attended matches - like zebre - then I agree. But I really don't think they should be handed out to any school, rather those who have or are trying to build a rugby team. And don't get me started on the corporate aspect. However I don't see why we shouldn't be trying to fill all the seats for every game.
Dura lex sed lex