Ulster's Money

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Cornerfleg
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Ulster's Money

Post by Cornerfleg »

Kofi any chance you could tell us who we could/should have spent money on and give evidence of how they would be much better than what we have signed?
Always ask yourself, "What would Big Rodney do"... And every time the answer is... "Eat It"
Nightsoil
Warrior

Post by Nightsoil »

Thanks colind.

What about match day takings? Anyone knows what happens there? I know the IRFU take winnings from league positions, but what about the ticket money?
ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Post by ColinM »

Kofi Annan wrote:
BaggyTrousers wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:
Scranner wrote:
BaggyTrousers wrote:... After the last 4/5 years I think both Fit & Doc Dave have earned the right to have our trust to a very large extent. The whole organisation is as close to unrecognisable as an ould lad can get from the shambles on & off the pitch before McGlock was appointed & Fit & Doc put their plans into play...
+1 Bagster.
I think there are some punters still hankering after a bygone era of Corinthian spirit.
In which case the simplest way of dealing with simpletons is to ask them, would UR be were we are today with a good team & fine stadium had that paragon of conservatism, The Fat Controller, still been in position?

It cant definitely be answered one way or another but I'm confident most would think along the same lines as me....... just a little dumber >EW

All Hail, Fit, Doc & those in management at UR who have had the wit to back them. :cheers:
I will hold my royal salute until after Christmas , if no one objects, still do not think we have spent wages that wisely , I know some are getting excited over some of the footage of Ludik et al, but I am sure Beaker could find twenty minutes of McKinney , to make some of the fans here wet with excitement , or even just re run the Edinburgh game . only signing I am positive will be a rock is Van Der Man :cheers: Stand up for the Kingspanman #SUFTKM or Just Stand up for the Kingsmen, eh GC?

The squad issue is simple in my eyes. We have a weaker/younger squad who will take time to find their feet, and will probably lose a few games before Christmas, which gives the perfect opportunity to announce that the Cowboy is gone (if he hasnt already before then). Coffers are available for a decent coach, and maybe upgrading a player or two after the RWC. We'll need an umbrella signing to keep ST sales up next spring after a less successful year on the pitch.

As for the coffers in general, I understand D4 gave us a good foot up when we were down and out a few years ago, I imagine that type of players salary assistance will be gone now and quite rightly looks to be at least partly finding its way down West.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Nightsoil wrote:Thanks colind.

What about match day takings? Anyone knows what happens there? I know the IRFU take winnings from league positions, but what about the ticket money?
As far as I am aware, they subsidise our commercial operations

So I doubt we pay them, as it would just come back to us anyways

Anscombe Out
rocky
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by rocky »

Russ wrote:

Anscombe Out
No, they don't subsidise our commercial operations.
They assist with salaries for marquee players and contract some players centrally, as well as giving money for the other players' salaries. L. M & U all get about €4.5M and Connacht about €2.8M, I think.
They gave us a loan for the corporate stand and we have paid about 80% back so far. Should all be paid off in three more years.
They take the TV revenues and the place money from the league and cup. They also take a portion of gate money from knockout matches.
They run and pay for the AIL in addition.
Bo***cks to Brexit
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

rocky wrote:
Russ wrote:

Anscombe Out
No, they don't subsidise our commercial operations.
They assist with salaries for marquee players and contract some players centrally, as well as giving money for the other players' salaries. L. M & U all get about €4.5M and Connacht about €2.8M, I think.
They gave us a loan for the corporate stand and we have paid about 80% back so far. Should all be paid off in three more years.
They take the TV revenues and the place money from the league and cup. They also take a portion of gate money from knockout matches.
They run and pay for the AIL in addition.
So. They subsidise our commercial operations

Anscombe Out
Nightsoil
Warrior

Post by Nightsoil »

Thanks Rocky. So - out of our soon to be (hopefully) giant ticket revenues and other sponsorship deals, combined with relatively low running costs compared to a lot of clubs (no rent, small debts), there should be the money there to bump up offers to NIQ players and key non-central contracted Ulster players? That works, right?
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

The problem is with the way the French money haunts the game you need to increase your income to stand still and while Ulster may have lost players and the numbers may be more out than in it maybe that ins cost as much as those who are leaving

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Gael
Steward

Post by Gael »

rumncoke wrote:The problem is with the way the French money haunts the game you need to increase your income to stand still and while Ulster may have lost players and the numbers may be more out than in it maybe that ins cost as much as those who are leaving

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Too true.
There was never a guard nor a customs man, got his nose inside that transit van.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Our value proposition is different to the french

Anscombe Out
Kofi Annan
Lord Chancellor

Post by Kofi Annan »

Cornerfleg wrote:Kofi any chance you could tell us who we could/should have spent money on and give evidence of how they would be much better than what we have signed?
Nope, not my job to go looking around the world for players,

Murphy ,
Herbst
Ihumph
Ludik
VDM

A starting super 14 prop would be good, A top14 back even better, a good 10 even better better.

Apart from VdM I rate them average to good, Afoa was world class, Muller is world class, Ihumph is 500% better than McKinney but flakey to say the least , Ludik , not that convinced and his 20mins of rugby on video does not get me that excited, ( I remember we were sold Adam Darcy in a similar way) sorry. herbst , playing 3rd choice, really don't see him pulling up trees, but hey we are Kingspan Ulster, we are brill, as I said I will give it a while before I start to get overly excited.
“For the liespotter who knows how to listen well, the random words, sounds, and phrases in a person's speech are never as random as they seem. They offer a clear sightline into the liar's psyche.”
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Know what you mean Kofi, but I have a feeling Herbst could be the best of the signings, albeit that may be in the longer term. If,as is reported, he impresses the duPlessis boys he'll do me. Ok, he's not an S15 starter but I'd say Sharks have the strongest propping line up bar none in world rugby and he is a propping nipper, still 24.

I'm less optimistic abut the Dave's one of whom I regard as a fecking numpty, a shirt filler should all else fail.

Van der Man, I hope will be the business, that apart, well feck me, it's pre-RWC year & moving guys who are top notch isn't easy.

In a parallel universe today I posed the question to a few buddies, who was there available in the positions we needed filling who was available that we didn't get? I posed the question, I don't know the answer & no other fecker appears to either.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Kofi Annan wrote:
Cornerfleg wrote:Kofi any chance you could tell us who we could/should have spent money on and give evidence of how they would be much better than what we have signed?
Nope, not my job to go looking around the world for players,

Murphy ,
Herbst
Ihumph
Ludik
VDM

A starting super 14 prop would be good, A top14 back even better, a good 10 even better better.

Apart from VdM I rate them average to good, Afoa was world class, Muller is world class, Ihumph is 500% better than McKinney but flakey to say the least , Ludik , not that convinced and his 20mins of rugby on video does not get me that excited, ( I remember we were sold Adam Darcy in a similar way) sorry. herbst , playing 3rd choice, really don't see him pulling up trees, but hey we are Kingspan Ulster, we are brill, as I said I will give it a while before I start to get overly excited.
You're in good form tonight Kofi.......
Adam D'Arcy was never sold as being anything other than the stopgap trialist he was. Herbst will surprise you.
Kofi Annan
Lord Chancellor

Post by Kofi Annan »

I love surprises
“For the liespotter who knows how to listen well, the random words, sounds, and phrases in a person's speech are never as random as they seem. They offer a clear sightline into the liar's psyche.”
ruckover
Lord Chancellor

Post by ruckover »

BaggyTrousers wrote:In a parallel universe today I posed the question to a few buddies, who was there available in the positions we needed filling who was available that we didn't get? I posed the question, I don't know the answer & no other fecker appears to either.
Luke Charteris at lock and Brice Dulin at full-back to name but two. Not sure I'd take Charteris over vdM but Dulin I would have here in a heartbeat. I still think we needed an NIQ loosehead more than we needed an NIQ full-back and there are plenty of those out of contract in the SH and not in with a shot at the RWC.
You haven't seen me at my best yet. Let's be honest, you probably never will.