Doping

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Doping

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Wasn't she a mate of Captain Kirk and regularly seen twiddling knobs on the flight deck?
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
scrum5
Lord Chancellor

Post by scrum5 »

Rugby players are tested quite regularly and without warning, it was either Dan or Callum tweeted a few weeks ago about starting the day off with a drug test..
In memory of Nevin Spence 1990- 15th Sept. 2012
Axel..... 30 October 1973 - 16 October 2016
Pedrie Wannenburg. 2 January 1981 - 22 April 2022.
bazzaj

Post by bazzaj »

BaggyTrousers wrote:Wasn't she a mate of Captain Kirk and regularly seen twiddling knobs on the flight deck?
Easily confused as they have similar names and have been spaced for prolonged periods of their careers.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

bazzaj wrote:
Lurgan Lad wrote:
bazzaj wrote:The thing I would like to see is life bans from sports and not just a couple of years for testing positive or skipping testing consistently.
I think this is a bit extreme in that circumstances need to be taken into account. It shocked me to hear Ulster players taking high doses of caffeine before games, obviously at high levels people are bound to be taking supplements to improve performance and the dividing line between legal and illegal isn't always clearly defined as far as I understand. In the American Football you have players failing drug tests from things to treat asthma or cough medicine. So while I agree with the sentiment that doping should be punished and discouraged in every way possible, I imagine not all drug tests are failed by cheats.
Yes but by the same token I dont think Ben Johnson was on cough medicine when he won the 100 metres or epo has ever been used to clear up a touch of asthma.
Just to clarify we are not talking about the odd vitamin or caffeine miscalculation here but people who are systematcally cheating and are allowed to compete again which is wrong and is not clearly sufficent deterent to others.

The people who avoid testing should be treated with similar contempt-life bans
Christine Ohurogu missed 3 in a year got a year ban and won gold within 24 days of her ban being lifted
The Brits wanted the ban extended but the IOC lifted it.
She became the darling of British athletics amd its all forgotten but not by me!
One example from multitudes.
Shameful.
She missed tests because she is stupid.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Cap'n Grumpy
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: second barrier up, at the half-way line ... or is the third?

Post by Cap'n Grumpy »

Snipe Watson wrote:
bazzaj wrote:
Lurgan Lad wrote:
bazzaj wrote:The thing I would like to see is life bans from sports and not just a couple of years for testing positive or skipping testing consistently.
I think this is a bit extreme in that circumstances need to be taken into account. It shocked me to hear Ulster players taking high doses of caffeine before games, obviously at high levels people are bound to be taking supplements to improve performance and the dividing line between legal and illegal isn't always clearly defined as far as I understand. In the American Football you have players failing drug tests from things to treat asthma or cough medicine. So while I agree with the sentiment that doping should be punished and discouraged in every way possible, I imagine not all drug tests are failed by cheats.
Yes but by the same token I dont think Ben Johnson was on cough medicine when he won the 100 metres or epo has ever been used to clear up a touch of asthma.
Just to clarify we are not talking about the odd vitamin or caffeine miscalculation here but people who are systematcally cheating and are allowed to compete again which is wrong and is not clearly sufficent deterent to others.

The people who avoid testing should be treated with similar contempt-life bans
Christine Ohurogu missed 3 in a year got a year ban and won gold within 24 days of her ban being lifted
The Brits wanted the ban extended but the IOC lifted it.
She became the darling of British athletics amd its all forgotten but not by me!
One example from multitudes.
Shameful.
She missed tests because she is stupid.
Probably ..... or because she was clever >EW
I'm not arguing -
I'm just explaining why I'm right
mid ulster maestro
Warrior Chief

Post by mid ulster maestro »

Baggy, not sure if Enos would have enhanced performance. A dose of syrup of figs would certainly make you run faster. :lol:
When the bottom has fallen out of your world.
Take Enos and let the world fall out of your bottom!
Lurgan Lad
Warrior Chief

Post by Lurgan Lad »

So what all can players take, is there limits on caffeine, is creatine legal or illegal, would replacing your blood transfusions like in the cycling benefit/be illegal. What are the best things you can take that boost performance?
troupe86
Novice

Post by troupe86 »

Steroid abuse is rife in professional sports. The athletes and team doctors are so far ahead of the testing systems in place that it isn't even funny. It actually amazes me that people are so blinkered as to its widespread use in almost all professional sports.

I've a few articles lying about somewhere that can really shed some light on it all, but that'll have to be tomorrow when I get a chance.
bazzaj

Post by bazzaj »

A friend of mines wife was a competitor in team GB in the 80s and 90s.
She said that when the team was training abroad they would get tipped off that the doping officals were en route and the camp would be a ghost town literally in minutes.
She also said that when she was pregnant and not competing, she was dope tested 6 times as all officals had to do at the time was fufill quotas so they knew where and when they could test her, therefore their job was made easy.

Its all summed up for me by the 1988 Olympic final where 5 of the finalists were caught doping and even one who didn`t, (Desai Williams), finally admitted in retirement that he had used steriods.
They were all at it but the people I really cant stand are the pious ones like Lance Armstrong or Carl Lewis who come over as if butter wouldn`t melt only to be exposed as lying scumbags all along.
Deraless
Lord Chancellor

Post by Deraless »

autologous blood transfusions are banned. Dont think caffeine is tested so no upper limit. I think creatine counts as a supplement and is legal. Heard stories of it being administered/encouraged in schools teams. Improper use could cause kidney problems tho.

i dont think any sport has done more than cycling to clean up. tests are seriously random. many teams now have a no needles policy so they wont even do iv fluids or iv vitamins. Also many have contract clauses that employment is terminated in event of failing a test.
Furthermore riders blood parameters are monitored and any unexplained changes in their bioligical passport can lead to bans without positive tests.

Cycling gave itself a bad reputation cos they are washing their dirty linen in public. Many other sports sweep it under the carpet. Bans in NFL are a joke.

Oh and Armstrong was a cheat AND a bully and got what was coming to him.
Never wrestle with a pig. You end up covered in muck and the pig loves it.
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

AFAIK creatine is still banned in France.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Lurgan Lad
Warrior Chief

Post by Lurgan Lad »

Deraless wrote:autologous blood transfusions are banned. Dont think caffeine is tested so no upper limit. I think creatine counts as a supplement and is legal. Heard stories of it being administered/encouraged in schools teams. Improper use could cause kidney problems tho.

i dont think any sport has done more than cycling to clean up. tests are seriously random. many teams now have a no needles policy so they wont even do iv fluids or iv vitamins. Also many have contract clauses that employment is terminated in event of failing a test.
Furthermore riders blood parameters are monitored and any unexplained changes in their bioligical passport can lead to bans without positive tests.

Cycling gave itself a bad reputation cos they are washing their dirty linen in public. Many other sports sweep it under the carpet. Bans in NFL are a joke.

Oh and Armstrong was a cheat AND a bully and got what was coming to him.
Cheers for that Deraless, appreciate your knowledge on that. Interesting view on cycling, that is one seriously hard sport.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

bazzaj wrote:A friend of mines wife was a competitor in team GB in the 80s and 90s.
She said that when the team was training abroad they would get tipped off that the doping officals were en route and the camp would be a ghost town literally in minutes.
She also said that when she was pregnant and not competing, she was dope tested 6 times as all officals had to do at the time was fufill quotas so they knew where and when they could test her, therefore their job was made easy.

Its all summed up for me by the 1988 Olympic final where 5 of the finalists were caught doping and even one who didn`t, (Desai Williams), finally admitted in retirement that he had used steriods.
They were all at it but the people I really cant stand are the pious ones like Lance Armstrong or Carl Lewis who come over as if butter wouldn`t melt only to be exposed as lying scumbags all along.
i cannot abide Carl Lewis. He's a sanctimonious tube who was as guilty as Ben Johnston only Johnston didn't have the intellectual capacity to work the system, was an easy target and made the patsy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

A Welsh "athlete" has been thrown out of the Commonwealth games for doping