Is this the end of Friday night rugby?

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Moiraman
Novice

Re: Is this the end of Friday night rugby?

Post by Moiraman »

If Setanta end up showing Ulster home games this will put rugby viewers in NI at a distinct disadvantage compared to those in Scotland and Wales who will have FTA rugby and we won't. Also as I understand it, BBC Alba is on a shoestring budget so how come they can afford rights and there seems a problem with BBCNI?
mikerob
Lord Chancellor

Post by mikerob »

Moiraman wrote:If Setanta end up showing Ulster home games this will put rugby viewers in NI at a distinct disadvantage compared to those in Scotland and Wales who will have FTA rugby and we won't. Also as I understand it, BBC Alba is on a shoestring budget so how come they can afford rights and there seems a problem with BBCNI?
To an extent, the rights are worth what someone is prepared to pay for them. BBC Alba can probably get them for peanuts because no one else wants them. If BBC NI and Setanta are competing against each other, that will drive the price up.
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

I think the 19:05 thing applied to Wales as much as NI, and they seem to have resolved it.
Can I come out from behind the sofa yet?
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

BR wrote:I think the 19:05 thing applied to Wales as much as NI, and they seem to have resolved it.
Was it not BBC2s schedule UK wide that was fecking it over?

Easterby Out
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

mikerob wrote:
Moiraman wrote:If Setanta end up showing Ulster home games this will put rugby viewers in NI at a distinct disadvantage compared to those in Scotland and Wales who will have FTA rugby and we won't. Also as I understand it, BBC Alba is on a shoestring budget so how come they can afford rights and there seems a problem with BBCNI?
To an extent, the rights are worth what someone is prepared to pay for them. BBC Alba can probably get them for peanuts because no one else wants them. If BBC NI and Setanta are competing against each other, that will drive the price up.
Also SRU representative will be very keen to pusuade his colleagues to do what's best for his 2 teams. The IRFU rep may have less incentive to push the case for 25% of his teams.
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Aird wrote: I still feel personally there is a lot to be said for Gusher.
Sorry Aird, you are wrong, totally wrong, so wrong that you couldn't be wrongerer (Scott Hastings notwithstanding).
I am sick of Gushers negative commentary on Ulster and Ryan Constable's total inability to do anything but promote his own players and utter clichés by the yard.
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Snipe Watson wrote:
Sorry Aird, you are wrong, totally wrong, so wrong that you couldn't be wrongerer (Scott Hastings notwithstanding).
I am sick of Gushers negative commentary on Ulster and Ryan Constable's total inability to do anything but promote his own players and utter clichés by the yard.
Very much so
www.stoutboys.co.uk
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Russ wrote:
BR wrote:I think the 19:05 thing applied to Wales as much as NI, and they seem to have resolved it.
Was it not BBC2s schedule UK wide that was fecking it over?

Easterby Out
True Russ but the red button is a way round that
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

BR wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:
Very much so
Have to say, in defence of ould Gusher, the bilge that he uttered came from a good place, because he is first and foremost an Ulster fan. Just a fairly depressive one......
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

Snipe Watson wrote: Have to say, in defence of ould Gusher, the bilge that he uttered came from a good place, because he is first and foremost an Ulster fan. Just a fairly depressive one......
Very much so
www.stoutboys.co.uk
UpAtSix
Initiate

Post by UpAtSix »

BR wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote: Have to say, in defence of ould Gusher, the bilge that he uttered came from a good place, because he is first and foremost an Ulster fan. Just a fairly depressive one......
Very much so
I love Jim Neilly. Constable I can't stand. The best commentary was last season when Gusher was paired with Reggie Corrigan.
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

UpAtSix wrote:
BR wrote:
Very much so
I love Jim Neilly. Constable I can't stand. The best commentary was last season when Gusher was paired with Reggie Corrigan.
Very.much so...
www.stoutboys.co.uk
BR
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BR »

I may just do the lottery this week -
BR wrote:So, my predictions for Sky coverage are:
1. G v L G v L & S v U :thumleft:
2. L v S (poss U v Z) L v S :thumleft:
3. Not C, Not O - something welsh prob. D v G :thumleft:
4. M v O M v O :thumleft:
5 L v M L v M :thumleft:
6. U v G (or E v D) U v G AND E v D :thumleft:
7. Something Welsh again (O v C) B v M :|
8. E v B (or U v O) Nothing announced
9. G v D C v S :duh:
10. L v C or B v S G v M and O v U :duh:
11. G v E (or U v C) G v E and O v S :thumleft:

www.stoutboys.co.uk
rorybestsbigbaldnoggin
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by rorybestsbigbaldnoggin »

BR wrote:I may just do the lottery this week -
BR wrote:So, my predictions for Sky coverage are:
1. G v L G v L & S v U :thumleft:
2. L v S (poss U v Z) L v S :thumleft:
3. Not C, Not O - something welsh prob. D v G :thumleft:
4. M v O M v O :thumleft:
5 L v M L v M :thumleft:
6. U v G (or E v D) U v G AND E v D :thumleft:
7. Something Welsh again (O v C) B v M :|
8. E v B (or U v O) Nothing announced
9. G v D C v S :duh:
10. L v C or B v S G v M and O v U :duh:
11. G v E (or U v C) G v E and O v S :thumleft:

Very much so . . .
It's the hope that kills you.
ulsterfleg
Novice

Post by ulsterfleg »

After some digging have discovered that BBC Wales have to show the rugby, no matter what the cost as part of the government Welsh speaking programs grant aid.
BBCNI do not get he same choice or financial aid even if they were to teach Jim Neily Irish.

Sky had there choice of the league games and choice to pick the highest rated 30 games which they were allowed to say as part of the deal the games would be played at a time to suit them.

Ulster have lost some Friday games which will now be played on Saturdays more games may follow dependent on who the final games left broadcaster is, BBCNI have no cash as they spent it all on Golf and are hoping for scrapes from the table ,Setanta and BT Sport have a few quid but may end up with the lower viewing figures games as Sky already have the good stuff sewn up.

Fixtures released so far by Ulster show that we have lost some Friday nights some league games will be Saturdays more to follow I suspect soften the blow maybe by not telling us post January...

Lets hope aunty beeb is good at begging.

PS Some of you may call Jim Neily gusher on here but I would like to see you do it to his face.