Remembrance

Questions for the players, the management, the UAFC, the URSC or other supporters... Someone might answer you!! (and pigs might fly)

Moderator: Moderators

twiglet
Initiate

Remembrance

Post by twiglet »

I watched Ospreys on Friday play with a poppy on their shirt. The Barbarians also had a poppy on their shirt for their match against Australia. I was wondering if there was a reason why Ulster didn't have a poppy on their shirt for the match against the Dragons.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Remembrance

Post by Russ »

twiglet wrote:I watched Ospreys on Friday play with a poppy on their shirt. The Barbarians also had a poppy on their shirt for their match against Australia. I was wondering if there was a reason why Ulster didn't have a poppy on their shirt for the match against the Dragons.
God, can you imagine the carnage from the vocal minority?
QuB Sinn Fein would have rioted
twiglet
Initiate

Post by twiglet »

I think that if the views of QUB Sinn Fein were listened to by the Ulster branch there would be quite a few supporters (including season ticket holders) who would not be back.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

I am in full agreement that we should have a poppy on our shirts by the way
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

If there was some way to remember the fallen from the world wars across all of the allied troops that would be great. The poppy isn't it, which is a shame.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Kofi Annan
Lord Chancellor

Post by Kofi Annan »

Dave wrote:If there was some way to remember the fallen from the world wars across all of the allied troops that would be great. The poppy isn't it, which is a shame.

Question: why is the poppy not it and what would you propose , a shamrock perhaps , a fig leaf, or a pork sausage? :roll:

And since we are now All Europeans should we not remember ALL the dead from both wars, the soldiers in particular did not chose to go to war. Nor did civilian chose to be blown up .
“For the liespotter who knows how to listen well, the random words, sounds, and phrases in a person's speech are never as random as they seem. They offer a clear sightline into the liar's psyche.”
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh
Location: Overlooking the pitch (til they built the old new stand)

Post by big mervyn »

Poppies on sports shirts are crass.

I applaud the wendyball teams that have refused to join that media hyped bandwagon and neither should Ulster. I'm sure a fitting tribute will be paid at the memorial gates as ususual.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Kofi Annan
Lord Chancellor

Post by Kofi Annan »

big mervyn wrote:Poppies on sports shirts are crass.

I applaud the wendyball teams that have refused to join that media hyped bandwagon and neither should Ulster. I'm sure a fitting tribute will be paid at the memorial gates as ususual.
Maybe football turned it down due to having japs and Germans in their teams and did not want to offend , is there any German or Japs playing in the Pro12 I can't recall any other than yon chap Hans Indaruck
“For the liespotter who knows how to listen well, the random words, sounds, and phrases in a person's speech are never as random as they seem. They offer a clear sightline into the liar's psyche.”
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Can anyone explain why people go out of their way to be offended by a poppy?
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

Russ wrote:Can anyone explain why people go out of their way to be offended by a poppy?
In Ireland maybe tha Black and Tans, Bloody Sunday and Ballymurphy may cloud the views of some.

A more recent trend is the regrettable politicalization of poppies in GB due in no small part to unpopular foreign policies combined with a growth poppy facism in the media and political circles.
Volunteer at an animal sanctuary; it will fill you with joy , despair, but most of all love, unconditional love of the animals.
Big Neville Southall
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

big mervyn wrote:
Russ wrote:Can anyone explain why people go out of their way to be offended by a poppy?
In Ireland maybe tha Black and Tans, Bloody Sunday and Ballymurphy may cloud the views of some.

A more recent trend is the regrettable politicalization of poppies in GB due in no small part to unpopular foreign policies combined with a growth poppy facism in the media and political circles.
So people are offended for little to nothing
Probably should get over it
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

Btw, saw Alex the fish the day wearing an enamel pin with a poppy superimposed on a saltire - crass in the extrem imo.
Big Neville Southall
Indiana
Novice

Post by Indiana »

To be fair Russ I can see why the 'poppy' upsets some people when we see terrorists hi-jack them and use them for memorial gardens and murals on gable ends. Personally the poppy is a solemn reminder of the sacrifices that the armed services of UK and the commonwealth gave and are still giving today in order that we can enjoy our freedom (and for some people that includes the freedom to be offended). I think the poppy deserves proper respect for what and who it really stands for.
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.

Mark Twain
big mervyn
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by big mervyn »

Indiana wrote:To be fair Russ I can see why the 'poppy' upsets some people when we see terrorists hi-jack them and use them for memorial gardens and murals on gable ends. Personally the poppy is a solemn reminder of the sacrifices that the armed services of UK and the commonwealth gave and are still giving today in order that we can enjoy our freedom (and for some people that includes the freedom to be offended). I think the poppy deserves proper respect for what and who it really stands for.
Yep and forcing the employees of UR (or any other organization) to wear them totally flys in the face of that.
Big Neville Southall
shamalicious
Lord Chancellor

Post by shamalicious »

Surely it should be an individual's choice to wear a poppy? I'm not sure I agree with forcing people to wear it (or not wear it).

I'd also be of the opinion that putting it on sporting shirts is crass.
Nevin Spence 26 April 1990 – 15 September 2012 gone but never forgotten