Remembrance

Questions for the players, the management, the UAFC, the URSC or other supporters... Someone might answer you!! (and pigs might fly)

Moderator: Moderators

Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Remembrance

Post by Dave »

Kofi Annan wrote:
Dave wrote:If there was some way to remember the fallen from the world wars across all of the allied troops that would be great. The poppy isn't it, which is a shame.

Question: why is the poppy not it and what would you propose , a shamrock perhaps , a fig leaf, or a pork sausage? :roll:

And since we are now All Europeans should we not remember ALL the dead from both wars, the soldiers in particular did not chose to go to war. Nor did civilian chose to be blown up .
Totally agree that all the dead should be remembered. That was the original intention I belive in using the poppy as a symbol of remembering. The poppy appeal run by the British Legion, commemorates all British (only) troops since 1914 and those currently serving. It isn't the all inclusive symbol it should be and isn't exclusive to the great wars.

I have no alternative, have heard suggestions of a white poppy but I think a minute silence or something is probably about as much as is appropriate.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Dave wrote:
Kofi Annan wrote:
Dave wrote:If there was some way to remember the fallen from the world wars across all of the allied troops that would be great. The poppy isn't it, which is a shame.

Question: why is the poppy not it and what would you propose , a shamrock perhaps , a fig leaf, or a pork sausage? :roll:

And since we are now All Europeans should we not remember ALL the dead from both wars, the soldiers in particular did not chose to go to war. Nor did civilian chose to be blown up .
Totally agree that all the dead should be remembered. That was the original intention I belive in using the poppy as a symbol of remembering. The poppy appeal run by the British Legion, commemorates all British (only) troops since 1914 and those currently serving. It isn't the all inclusive symbol it should be.

I have no alternative, have heard suggestions of a white poppy but I think a minute silence or something is probably about as much as is appropriate.
British and Commonwealth Dave
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Snipe Watson wrote:
Dave wrote:
Kofi Annan wrote:

Totally agree that all the dead should be remembered. That was the original intention I belive in using the poppy as a symbol of remembering. The poppy appeal run by the British Legion, commemorates all British (only) troops since 1914 and those currently serving. It isn't the all inclusive symbol it should be.

I might be wrong snipe but I haven't seen any evidence of that from the British Legion. It appears to be British troops only but I know the poppy is used in Canada.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Russ wrote:
big mervyn wrote:
Russ wrote:Can anyone explain why people go out of their way to be offended by a poppy?
In Ireland maybe tha Black and Tans, Bloody Sunday and Ballymurphy may cloud the views of some.

A more recent trend is the regrettable politicalization of poppies in GB due in no small part to unpopular foreign policies combined with a growth poppy facism in the media and political circles.
So people are offended for little to nothing
Probably should get over it
And the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan....
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Dave wrote:
Russ wrote:
big mervyn wrote:
Russ wrote:Can anyone explain why people go out of their way to be offended by a poppy?
In Ireland maybe tha Black and Tans, Bloody Sunday and Ballymurphy may cloud the views of some.

A more recent trend is the regrettable politicalization of poppies in GB due in no small part to unpopular foreign policies combined with a growth poppy facism in the media and political circles.
Aye well, we were sent there by a war monger who should be in prison.

The hijacking by terrorists is a disgrace, I agree. But as said, wearing a poppy is a personal choice.
Nobody should be offended by someone wearing one or not wearing one.
So the option for a player to have a poppy stitched into his shirt should be there.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Russ wrote:
Dave wrote:
Russ wrote:
big mervyn wrote:

The hijacking by terrorists is a disgrace, I agree. But as said, wearing a poppy is a personal choice.
So the option for a player to have a poppy stitched into his shirt should be there.
Yeah they should if they wish. If it makes them perform better then im all for it too. I would like an exclusive symbol to remember the fallen across the world from the world wars. It should be a choice. A player should have the choice to wear but not told they are going on the shirt unless they say otherwise. That is a very awkward position to be in.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Dave wrote:
Russ wrote:
Dave wrote:
Russ wrote:
big mervyn wrote: In Ireland maybe tha Black and Tans, Bloody Sunday and Ballymurphy may cloud the views of some.

Yeah they should if they wish. If it makes them perform better then im all for it too. I would like an exclusive symbol to remember the fallen across the world from the world wars. It should be a choice. A player should have the choice to wear but not told they are going on the shirt unless they say otherwise. That is a very awkward position to be in.
There is a lovely new memorial in northern France
It lists in alphabetical order the names of EVERYONE who died in WW1 in Northern France
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Russ wrote:
Dave wrote:
Russ wrote:
Dave wrote:
Russ wrote: So people are offended for little to nothing

There is a lovely new memorial in northern France
It lists in alphabetical order the names of EVERYONE who died in WW1 in Northern France
Wow that it is pretty special.
Ampersand
Novice

Post by Ampersand »

Kofi Annan wrote:since we are now All Europeans should we not remember ALL the dead from both wars, the soldiers in particular did not chose to go to war. Nor did civilian chose to be blown up .
Kofi Annan wrote:
big mervyn wrote:Poppies on sports shirts are crass.

I applaud the wendyball teams that have refused to join that media hyped bandwagon and neither should Ulster. I'm sure a fitting tribute will be paid at the memorial gates as ususual.
Maybe football turned it down due to having japs and Germans in their teams and did not want to offend , is there any German or Japs playing in the Pro12 I can't recall any other than yon chap Hans Indaruck
So is this meant to remember ALL the dead from both wars, or are you excluding Germans and Japs?

What about Italians? Any Italians playing in the Pro12?

What about other wars, such as Falklands?

Any Argentinians in the Pro12?

Should we specify which wars are being commemorated, given the Italians and Japs were among the Allies/Entente Powers in WW1, so in theory might at least have been sympathetic to the use of the poppy in 1921 when it was adopted by the British Empire? (btw, the Americans had used it before we did).

Should we use an opium poppy to commemorate the fallen of Afghanistan?
&
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Ampersand wrote:
Kofi Annan wrote:since we are now All Europeans should we not remember ALL the dead from both wars, the soldiers in particular did not chose to go to war. Nor did civilian chose to be blown up .
Kofi Annan wrote:

I applaud the wendyball teams that have refused to join that media hyped bandwagon and neither should Ulster. I'm sure a fitting tribute will be paid at the memorial gates as ususual.
Maybe football turned it down due to having japs and Germans in their teams and did not want to offend , is there any German or Japs playing in the Pro12 I can't recall any other than yon chap Hans Indaruck
So is this meant to remember ALL the dead from both wars, or are you excluding Germans and Japs?

Should we specify which wars are being commemorated, given the Italians and Japs were among the Allies/Entente Powers in WW1, so in theory might at least have been sympathetic to the use of the poppy in 1921 when it was adopted by the British Empire? (btw, the Americans had used it before we did).

Argentina needs to get over itself
Kofi Annan
Lord Chancellor

Post by Kofi Annan »

Ampersand wrote:
Kofi Annan wrote:

Mmmm obviously you can't read the queens English ffs
“For the liespotter who knows how to listen well, the random words, sounds, and phrases in a person's speech are never as random as they seem. They offer a clear sightline into the liar's psyche.”
Kofi Annan
Lord Chancellor

Post by Kofi Annan »

Dave wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:
Dave wrote:
Kofi Annan wrote:

I might be wrong snipe but I haven't seen any evidence of that from the British Legion. It appears to be British troops only but I know the poppy is used in Canada.
And Australia and New Zealand, and Fiji I have even seen it worn in South Africa. Better sometimes to stay quiet and be thought a fool rather than opening yer mouth and confirming it.
“For the liespotter who knows how to listen well, the random words, sounds, and phrases in a person's speech are never as random as they seem. They offer a clear sightline into the liar's psyche.”
Jackie Brown
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Jackie Brown »

Sadly the poppy has been hijacked by political elements. Ulster Rugby should not be viewed in anyway politically. Therefore, no poppy.
Gonna Party Like It's 1999
Kofi Annan
Lord Chancellor

Post by Kofi Annan »

Jackie Brown wrote:Sadly the poppy has been hijacked by political elements. Ulster Rugby should not be viewed in anyway politically. Therefore, no poppy.
Yeah Jackie let's ban those White Ulster flags and I am sure that there will be no irish tricolour flags allowed in for the GAA game,

I wonder how ticket sales are going for that, must be near a sell out, all those great GAA supporters helping a good cause .
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Kofi Annan wrote:
Dave wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:
Dave wrote:
Kofi Annan wrote:

And Australia and New Zealand, and Fiji I have even seen it worn in South Africa. Better sometimes to stay quiet and be thought a fool rather than opening yer mouth and confirming it.
Never opened my mouth. I was saying that Canada was only one I know of. If you read back you can see that I was referring to the British Legion's 'poppy appeal' that supports only British servicemen and women from 1914 to the current armed forces. Although if you are saying that they support forces worldwide then feel free to show me because I couldn't find evidence of this and like I said I'm open to being wrong. I think South Africa is a bit far for some aul doll from the British Legion to knocking on doors. Besides she wouldn't know which wans are the Protestant houses.