Rugby is a simple game

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Rugby is a simple game

Post by Dave »

Snipe Watson wrote:
Dave wrote:
Snipe Watson wrote:
rumncoke wrote:I did realise that kicking the ball is not permitted in mini rugby whether it is a good idea or not personally i don't think it is .
All I see in mini rugby doing is getting a bunch of wee lads on a pitch who take it turns to run with ball until by sheer weight of numbers the player with ball is brought to ground .

I see very few skills being developed

Its fun for the kids but the fact is most of the good players learn little from playing mini rugby in the 10 years it has featured at Ravenhill I wonder how many have developed into decent rugby players .
Well Rum I have coached mini rugby and schools rugby for many years and can inform you that you are talking complete and unadulterated scour.

ps I can't wait to hear Once a Knight's views on this........... ># ># ># ># >#
Snipe out
Wat? On a night like that?
What do you mean?

http://youtu.be/O2Vsx-v0ovY
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Has Liam Williams read my thread?

Stunning line, at pace, against a weak shoulder. Shame he celebrated like a Warren Gatland
Cornerfleg
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cornerfleg »

I'll second that, there are more and more coaches coming through who are not just dads out to lend a hand, there are plenty of skills being coached at mini level now.

I'm not sure which club has the huge misfortune to have Rum heading up their coaching staff, but I really pity those kids, especially if they have to listen to one of his rants as well.

Must dash have a schools cup game this morning ...
Always ask yourself, "What would Big Rodney do"... And every time the answer is... "Eat It"
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Whether is or isn't when watching mini rugby that coaching isn't evident .

I went to schools Cup final a couple of years ago and it was one of the worst games I have watched in many a year 16 stone mini rugby lift run get tackled all afternoon .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
Cornerfleg
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cornerfleg »

There's a huge difference from coaching minis to the win at all cost, bosh it with the big guys mentality of schools cup rugby.

The same mentality that lets big rugby schools tell branch YDOs to clear off we have our own system ... that in the end gets exploited at senior level.

Could I also ask having exploited the weakness of underage rugby here - what exactly are you doing to help the situation, how many hours a week do you give up to coach juniors ... if you say feck all then it's just hot air mate, some of us willingly give up a lot of free time to help out and work with kids.
Always ask yourself, "What would Big Rodney do"... And every time the answer is... "Eat It"
Ampersand
Novice

Post by Ampersand »

I don't coach mini rugby, or any other rugby for that matter.

I am a bad person of no standing and hereby declare that my opinion is meaningless ......

...... which means that the above must be wrong and I'm not (necessarily) a bad person
&
Cornerfleg
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cornerfleg »

OAK we all live in hope of making that level of awesomeness... Level 3 coaches have printed copies of some of Rum's posts on their bedroom walls...

Would whole heartedly agree that it's incredibly rewarding, the vast majority of those who give up their time care deeply about, them, the game and development of the occasionally gifted one who might make it.
Cornerfleg
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cornerfleg »

Ampersand wrote:I don't coach mini rugby, or any other rugby for that matter.

I am a bad person of no standing and hereby declare that my opinion is meaningless ......

...... which means that the above must be wrong and I'm not (necessarily) a bad person

No Mr & you are not a bad person, to do that you need to slap off anyone who tries... to be a bad person you need to pontificate verbosly about what everyone else is doing wrong and either not lift a finger to help, or if you did some time ago you condem yourself by the lack of fruitage from your endeavours

That and the fact that you're a funny fecker...
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

I'm only level 0
Cornerfleg
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cornerfleg »

Must have been a great assessment... 90 minutes of getting Doak out!
Ampersand
Novice

Post by Ampersand »

Cornerfleg wrote:
Ampersand wrote:I don't coach mini rugby, or any other rugby for that matter.

No Mr & you are not a bad person, to do that you need to slap off anyone who tries... to be a bad person you need to pontificate verbosly about what everyone else is doing wrong and either not lift a finger to help, or if you did some time ago you condem yourself by the lack of fruitage from your endeavours

That and the fact that you're a funny fecker...
Pi$$ off! :lol:
&
Cornerfleg
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Cornerfleg »

We need to work on your people skills..
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

Cornerfleg wrote:We need to work on your people skills..
You need to get some to work on........ :thumleft:
bazzaj

Post by bazzaj »

To follow up oncers point I saw an interview with Frank Deboer during the last World Cup about the why the Ajax academy produces so many players as opposed to anything from England.
He said the Ajax lads are taught skills and development over results but when they played the English teams they were battered by bigger and more physical players.
When the playing fields level on a physical basis later on, the results speak for themselves.

Rugby is the same, the emphasis has to be on development but too many youth coaches put the emphasis on results.
Stick the biggest lad in the centre to run over the other kids in order to win the game, is the sort of thing I am on about.
The big kid turns into an average kid as everyone catches him up and he gives up disillusioned has he has no skills set to fall back on.
The little kids being run over think sod that and gives up.
Some winning kids don`t get the enjoyment due to the pressure of a win at all costs mentality (MCB) and give up.
Net result no one wins and I have seen this type of stuff time and time again at all youth, schools and mini levels.

Get the kids involved, loving it and working the skills.
Chasing results comes later.
bazzaj

Post by bazzaj »

Thanks for the answer oncer.
I was aware of the weight limiit introduction to minis being intoduced but don't know if its universal.
There is no doubt we do tend to put more emphasis on weight and grunt over skills set in the Northern Hemisphere.