Shocking Calls

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: Shocking Calls

Post by Snipe Watson »

Gary wrote:The League had no choice here and charging Lam was inevitable. What really is important is what happens at the hearing. I would assume Lam's legal reps. would have the opportunity to question Hodges.
My thoughts exactly Gary. They will try to bully him into standing down and taking a punishment. I really hope he has the guts to take this on and see it through. I suspect he has, as coming to a press conference with footage of the calumny is not the act of a man who is intending to engage reverse gear any time soon.
Spiffsson
Warrior Chief

Post by Spiffsson »

BaggyTrousers wrote:
shamalicious wrote:Image
That is not just outrageous, it's utterly shameless by the powers that be, to being disciplined for telling the truth, the whole truth & feck all but the truth.

I deem them cowards.

Je suis Pat Lam aussi.
Cmon Baggers. You know it is not that simple. If coaches were allowed to get away with slagging off refs and their assistants in public then it would be a total shambles out there. I have every sympathy with Pat and Connacht and was totally pisssed at the end of that game. But I do think he made an error of judgement in his response. He had no hope of winning this one.
Hans Indaruck
Squire

Post by Hans Indaruck »

Spiffsson wrote:
BaggyTrousers wrote:
shamalicious wrote:Image
That is not just outrageous, it's utterly shameless by the powers that be, to being disciplined for telling the truth, the whole truth & feck all but the truth.

I deem them cowards.

Je suis Pat Lam aussi.
Cmon Baggers. You know it is not that simple. If coaches were allowed to get away with slagging off refs and their assistants in public then it would be a total shambles out there. I have every sympathy with Pat and Connacht and was totally pisssed at the end of that game. But I do think he made an error of judgement in his response. He had no hope of winning this one.
Spiff,

If it was just slagging off officials then you are correct. However, Pat Lamb chose his words carefully and more to the point stated that he has already raised the points through the proper channels (Ed Morrison et al). He is entitled to air his concerns, just as many other coaches etc. do (e.g. in respect of reffing the breakdown/ choke tackles and so forth). Had Pat Lam not raised his concerns through official channels then threr is cause for complaint. However, one cannot help but feel that this is more to do with the nature of the complaint itself - in effect the need to 'close ranks'. I wish him luck, but I do agree with you insofar as he has no chance of winning - but that, of course, has nothing whatsoever to do with the merits or demerits of his case! :roll:
Hope is not a strategy.
Snipe Watson
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Snipe Watson »

I applaud a man who will not simply kowtow to the powers that be who are presiding over this shambles. The 'mistake' made by the officials was clear and obvious. "Any reason why I should not award this penalty?" "Yes there was no ruck, no offside line and no foul committed". Game over.
This does not mean there should be carte blanche to bad mouth officials. If you bad mouth an official you should have to provide evidence that you are right and the official is wrong as was done in this case. Officials need to be accountable or the credibility of the game goes to pot. As the public believes that the authorities simply close ranks and back their referee.
LegsLikeSausages
Warrior Chief

Post by LegsLikeSausages »

How are these things dealt with? Is it the same sort of disciplinary panel the citing commissioner refers too?

If he gets the tag rugby experts Luke and Roger had he's fecked. He needs to get himself properly (and I mean properly) lawyered up, because he is very much in the right and at the very least could make life quite uncomfortable for the powers that be by drawing the process out. Here's hoping...
Deraless
Lord Chancellor

Post by Deraless »

Lam fined £5,800. Meh.
Never wrestle with a pig. You end up covered in muck and the pig loves it.
for dog and ulcer
Lord Chancellor

Post by for dog and ulcer »

Deraless wrote:Lam fined £5,800. Meh.
Disgraceful. No doubt LH escapes without any sanction?
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Of course

Hodges backed
Garces backed
Whoever sent Finm Russell off was backed

They will always back their own
rumncoke
Lord Chancellor

Post by rumncoke »

Referees are allowed mistakes and all errors are assumed to be mistakes .

And to be honest with out respect for the referee the game could descend to a real Barney

Thus the powers that be in public will back the ref every time what happens behind the scenes may be totally different .

Then there is also the fact that there are public punishments and private ones . Maybe lams fine has been paid for him for all we know !!!?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Within this carapace of skepticism there lives an optimist
stu
Novice

Post by stu »

Russ wrote:Of course

Hodges backed
Garces backed

Publically...

Given Garces' decisions regarding contact in the air since he sent Payne off it seems fairly clear that he was told he'd got it wrong and not to do it again.
BuckRogers
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by BuckRogers »

stu wrote:

Hodges backed
Garces backed

Publically...

Given Garces' decisions regarding contact in the air since he sent Payne off it seems fairly clear that he was told he'd got it wrong and not to do it again.
Given Garces set a precedent and we have now seen a number of red cards for 'dropping dans la tete' I think World Rugby backed him to the hilt. Trimble on that 6N thing on Friday night said as much.
stu
Novice

Post by stu »

BuckRogers wrote:Given Garces set a precedent and we have now seen a number of red cards for 'dropping dans la tete' I think World Rugby backed him to the hilt. Trimble on that 6N thing on Friday night said as much.
I think we've seen many more cases where reds should have been given if following Garces' precedent but yellow or less has resulted.
BuckRogers
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by BuckRogers »

stu wrote:
BuckRogers wrote:Given Garces set a precedent and we have now seen a number of red cards for 'dropping dans la tete' I think World Rugby backed him to the hilt. Trimble on that 6N thing on Friday night said as much.
I think we've seen many more cases where reds should have been given if following Garces' precedent but yellow or less has resulted.
That is referee's individually bottling it IMO. World Rugby has come down quite hard on 'offenders' in terms of bans.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Du plessis got banned for four weeks for a deliberate kick to the face. Compare that to the Luke Marshall incident. Joke shop.
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
bazzaj

Post by bazzaj »

stu wrote:

Hodges backed
Garces backed

Publically...

One of the key moments on Saturday was Garces refusal to give Payne a yellow when he played the man in the air.
All the commentators and pundits were unanimously in agreement that Payne was lucky to escape punishment.
Personally I thought it was a worse challenge than the one he got red for against sarries.
Can only lead me to believe someome had a word on the quiet with Garces after the sarries game or he himself thought he got it wrong in the aftermath.