CHARLIE Boy - "Wish you were here !! "

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Mac
Chancellor to the King

CHARLIE Boy - "Wish you were here !! "

Post by Mac »

All Black Charles Piutau signs to join Irish club Ulster after Rugby World Cup
All Blacks utility Charles Piutau has dropped a major bombshell by signing a two-year deal with Irish club Ulster that's thought to be worth close to $1 million a season.

Piutau's sudden post-World Cup departure comes as a shock to all involved.

It was thought he was poised to re-sign, alongside team-mate Steven Luatua, with New Zealand Rugby and the Blues within the next two weeks.

Clearly, though, the chance to bank $2 million in a favourable tax system and set himself up for life was too good to turn down.

The 23-year-old is following the modern trend of players - the likes of Rene Ranger, Frank Halai, Luke Braid, Andre Taylor, Tom Taylor, Tyler Bleyendaal and Bundee Aki - jumping at the mindboggling money at a much younger age than previous generations.

In this case, Piutau will back himself to return for another crack at the All Blacks, but like any player leaving he risks the production line overtaking him in that time.

It also highlights the unprecedented offshore demand for New Zealand's premier rugby talent.

Not just in France, either.

Competing with European salaries is becoming increasingly difficult.

Piutau has chosen a particularly memorable time to leave home.

He will forgo the potential of competing in sevens at next year's Olympic Games, and the prestigious British and Irish Lions tour to New Zealand in 2017.

At present he probably sits behind Julian Savea and Ben Smith in the outside backs rankings but he was expected to be included in the World Cup squad.

On last year's end of season tour he impressed by starting three of four tests and, by the Lions tour, could have cemented his spot as a first-choice All Black.

Having worked tirelessly since debuting for the national team in 2013 and going on to play 14 tests, it seems a shame to lose such a dynamic young talent, even if only temporarily.

It is understood Piutau's contract with Ulster starts in 2016 and the Blues still hope he will be available for next year's Super Rugby campaign.

That will, however, require agreement from NZ Rugby, as he will not be available for All Blacks selection.

This scenario is likely to take some time to work through.

Piutau's ability to comfortably slot in at centre, wing and fullback increased his value and he will be made Ulster's marquee player.

The pressure of the Blues environment - after losing six straight games to start the year and assuming a leadership role in an inexperienced, struggling backline - may have also influenced his decision.
http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/all- ... -world-cup
Last edited by Mac on Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:23 am, edited 4 times in total.
Image Image
If You Have To Ask....You Don't Understand
Bring Humph On!!
Squire

Re: CHARLIE Boy

Post by Bring Humph On!! »

I'm not sure what to think of this. I really hope we have a back row forward in the pipeline, unless of course we are losing a back somewhere!!

Underwhelmed by this.
"But going forward, at Ulster Rugby, one thing will never change. As long as this great club exists, the person and the player, Nevin Spence, will never be forgotten."

IF!!! ..... I CAN DO NOTHING WITH IF!!
thecrouch
Chancellor to the King

Post by thecrouch »

Good signing but would rather see a back row signed than yet another fullback.
NUCIFORA IS A BELLEND
SparkyClarky
Warrior

Post by SparkyClarky »

Not wishing to sound negative but 2 world class back rows wood have been top of my shopping list. Having said that it's good to see quality signings no matter the position played.
noun "Fan"
an enthusiastic devotee, follower, or admirer of a sport,

I'm Not an expert, not always right, I'm just enthusiastic....well most of the time!
rorybestsbigbaldnoggin
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by rorybestsbigbaldnoggin »

Don't understand this. Useful, definitely, but needed?

Are we getting rid of Ludik? Is this a Kiss signing? Is Piutau an Esportif client? How will we pronounce his surname? Does this mean Jared is now, and forever, a 13? WHERE THE FECK IS OUR BACK ROW FOR NEXT SEASON?
It's the hope that kills you.
Neill_M
Lord Chancellor

Post by Neill_M »

Interesting if true....... Could just be his agent trying to get a better deal out of the NZRFU :stir:

Lets assume for 1 minute its true and not a elaborate joke given what day it is tomorrow.

It is understood Piutau's contract with Ulster starts in 2016 and the Blues still hope he will be available for next year's Super Rugby campaign.

That will, however, require agreement from NZ Rugby, as he will not be available for All Blacks selection

The above part of the article says the contract starts in 2016, which could mean Sept 2016 as the Super 15 runs between March and Sept approx. Ludik's deal is up summer of 2016. As is Big Nick's and FDVM's.
Last edited by Neill_M on Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:42 am, edited 3 times in total.
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

Holy Bejabbers man sir.

FRom the Blues website: http://www.theblues.co.nz/players/199-C ... iutau.aspx

Quite a few videos to watch.

According to the reported salary NZ$ 1M per season, that's £500K pa in real money. War chest appears to have been opened. :thumleft:

Looks a great signing, let's hope he stays fit.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
thecrouch
Chancellor to the King

Post by thecrouch »

This guy is a better fullback than Payne never mind Ludik, so it's definitely a squad improvement.

Albeit an improvement in an area where we were already pretty strong. I guess if the opportunity arises to sign someone like this you'd be mad to say no, but I really, really hope that the next signing we hear about is going to be of the back row variety.
NUCIFORA IS A BELLEND
WhiteKnightoftheWeld
Lord Chancellor

Post by WhiteKnightoftheWeld »

This confirms the Jared Payne to Munster theory.
Left hand, right hand, it doesn't matter. I'm amphibious.
Deraless
Lord Chancellor

Post by Deraless »

Hands up who saw that one coming?
Never wrestle with a pig. You end up covered in muck and the pig loves it.
rorybestsbigbaldnoggin
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by rorybestsbigbaldnoggin »

Deraless wrote:Hands up who saw that one coming?

If we sign one back row bolter, and one back row of Piutau's stature, happy days.
It's the hope that kills you.
Mac
Chancellor to the King

Post by Mac »

Deraless wrote:Hands up who saw that one coming?
:afro:
Image Image
If You Have To Ask....You Don't Understand
BaggyTrousers
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by BaggyTrousers »

One is amused by the posts made between seeking a video option for my post and actually posting.

Underwhelmed takes the fu@king biscuit, this is a sensational player, capped at 21 by the All Blacks and with 7 starts & 14 caps, with the ability, allegedly, to cover full back, wing & centre, indeed he has played all three positions for NZ, what you are missing is that he would be first choice in any of those positions for most teams, Angry Andrew's wing excepted of course, nobody takes Angry's wing.

I believe only the most half-witted will assume this will exclude at least one high class back row, and furthermore it appears all of our current NIQs will be out of contract by his supposed start date.

TIP OF THE DAY: think before you post, otherwise you simply look like a clown.
NEVER MOVE ON. Years on, I cannot ever watch Ireland with anything but indifference, I continue to wish for the imminent death of Donal Spring, the FIRFUC's executioner of Wee Paddy & Wee Stu, and I hate the FIRFUCs with undiminished passion.
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

Exceptional talent but we have no backrow he will never get the ball!
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Dave »

This confirms Hendo is a 6!
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?