CHARLIE Boy - "Wish you were here !! "

Talk about the men in white, and everything Ulster!!

Moderator: Moderators

Dave
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Re: WELCOME to ULSTER CHARLIE Boy

Post by Dave »

If this is the standard then fear not about the backrow. Great signing!
I have my own tv channel, what have you got?
ColinM
Lord Chancellor

Post by ColinM »

Nice idea to release the official statement on April 1st. No pulling the wool over the bakebookers eyes they aren't being fooled by anyone
rorybestsbigbaldnoggin
Red Hand Ambassador

Post by rorybestsbigbaldnoggin »

Dave wrote:If this is the standard then fear not about the backrow. Great signing!
Indeed.
It's the hope that kills you.
Wee Woman
Lord Chancellor

Post by Wee Woman »

Well if that's Bryn's first big signing, he's set the bar pretty high. Wow.
Russ
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Russ »

Have we confirmed Read yet?
ruckover
Lord Chancellor

Post by ruckover »

Bryn is quietly going about his work in an exceptional manner. Very very impressed.

Can't wait for him to get here, a fantastic player and to give up the chance to play against the B&I Lions shows great commitment, even if it is for a lot of money.
You haven't seen me at my best yet. Let's be honest, you probably never will.
Dan Dare
Squire

Post by Dan Dare »

ruckover wrote:Bryn is quietly going about his work in an exceptional manner. Very very impressed.

Can't wait for him to get here, a fantastic player and to give up the chance to play against the B&I Lions shows great commitment, even if it is for a lot of money.
Don't really think that they give a Tom kite about playing against the Lions !
Rooster
Rí­ na Cúige Uladh

Post by Rooster »

Russ wrote:Have we confirmed Read yet?
:roll:
“That made me feel very special and underlined to me that Ulster is more than a team, it is a community and a rugby family"
Rory Best
Bart S
Lord Chancellor

Post by Bart S »

Russ wrote:Have we confirmed Read yet?
Nearly.......we've got Reidy... :roll:
Deraless
Lord Chancellor

Post by Deraless »

From Rugby Heaven article. Steve Hansen unhappy apparently...

All Blacks coach Steve Hansen has expressed disappointment at Charles Piutau's decision to leave New Zealand next year.

Piutau is understood to have signed a two-year deal with Irish club Ulster worth around $1 million per season. The contract begins in July 2016, and he is hopeful of playing for the Blues next year, but that will require agreement from New Zealand Rugby as he will be unavailable for All Blacks selection.

Piutau's unprecedented decision to cash in now, at just 23 and after 14 tests, came as a major shock to the Blues and All Blacks. Both parties expected him to re-sign, with an agreement in principal reached over a two-year extension.

But it is understood in the two-days it took Piutau and his agent to send back the NZR contract, a head-turning offer from Ulster landed that ultimately swung his future.

Having invested in his dynamic skill set over the past three years and seen Piutau as a future first-choice player, Hansen is frustrated he will lose his services so soon.

"I'm extremely disappointed he's going," Hansen said.

"He was a person we were hoping would grow over time after this World Cup in to one of our senior players. We've put a lot of time and effort into him so we're disappointed he's decided to go down that route."

It could be argued Piutau may have increased his value further by participating in next year's Olympic Games with the sevens team and been at his peak for the high profile 2017 British and Irish Lions tour of New Zealand.

Twelve years ago, Daniel Carter announced his world-class abilities on that same stage.

On paper, Piutau appears to be risking an Olympic medal and valuable test match experience which have seen some question the advice he received.

By giving up those potential dreams, Piutau has put his World Cup prospects in jeopardy.

In a struggling Blues team, who have lost their first six games this season, Piutau must produce some compelling form and become an obvious, clear-cut selection in arguably the All Blacks' most competitive area.

Four outside backs are likely to be selected in the All Blacks 31-man Rugby World Cup squad. Julian Savea and Ben Smith are certainties, and with Israel Dagg and Cory Jane both signed until 2017, Piutau now needs to prove he offers more than either of those two.

If he is considered on par with Jane and Dagg, Hansen and fellow selectors Ian Foster and Grant Fox may lean towards those with experience and those committed beyond the World Cup.

It would be difficult to argue against those thoughts.

"Does it make him ineligible for the World Cup? No it doesn't," Hansen said, "but it does make it harder for him."

"He's going to have to play really, really well. We've got a duty to pick the best team but at the same time if two guys are vying for one spot then things like commitment and experience come into it.

"Not only are you picking for today but you're also picking for tomorrow. That's what we've done with him for three years."

Piutau will deliver his reasoning today. A two-year deal gives him the opportunity to return and push for a spot in the 2019 World Cup team but also opens the door for the likes of Hurricanes fullback Nehe Milner-Skudder, and many others, to push their claims.

While Piutau appears among a growing list of players leaving in their prime, Jerome Kaino is one of few to come back and crack the All Blacks again.

Brad Thorn and Sonny Bill Williams also achieved similar feats after returning from league and Rene Ranger will try to regain the black jersey next year.

But the Luke McAlister debacle and Hosea Gear's recent comeback highlights the challenge returning players face.
Never wrestle with a pig. You end up covered in muck and the pig loves it.
shamalicious
Lord Chancellor

Post by shamalicious »

Am I the only one a bit worried that between now and July 2016 that Charlie could be persuaded by Hansen et al to change his mind?
Nevin Spence 26 April 1990 – 15 September 2012 gone but never forgotten
againstthehead
Lord Chancellor

Post by againstthehead »

Excellent signing and the kind of quality that we desperately need. However, it needs to be backed up with serious investment up front. No point have a good backline with average joes at the coal-face. 2 similar quality signings in the pack and we'd be in business. There will be plenty of kiwis looking a quick buck post world-cup so it will be interesting to see if Ulster are in the hunt for any more.
Climb up onto the top of your house and start screaming: 'stand up for the Ulstermen, stand.......'
mea97mb
Squire

Post by mea97mb »

shamalicious wrote:Am I the only one a bit worried that between now and July 2016 that Charlie could be persuaded by Hansen et al to change his mind?
No your not, I will not be 100% happy until I see him arrive in Belfast. However I would hope that UR have got a decent contract so if he does renege on it we are due serious compensation from the NZRU.
stu
Novice

Post by stu »

mea97mb wrote:
shamalicious wrote:Am I the only one a bit worried that between now and July 2016 that Charlie could be persuaded by Hansen et al to change his mind?
No your not, I will not be 100% happy until I see him arrive in Belfast. However I would hope that UR have got a decent contract so if he does renege on it we are due serious compensation from the NZRU.
Doesn't appear that the NZRU have had any part in the negotiations. Contract is between Ulster and the player.

The interesting thing to me there is that there is an implication that the NZRU could prevent him playing for the Blues next season. If that were to pass might we get him earlier than planned? Could we convince the IRFU to give us special dispensation? Could we simply not register either Nick Williams or Ludik (Williams would be my preference) to play - ok we'd still have to pay them but unless either are willing to take an offer to move on we'd have to pay their contract anyway even if we terminated them.
mea97mb
Squire

Post by mea97mb »

stu wrote:
mea97mb wrote:
Doesn't appear that the NZRU have had any part in the negotiations. Contract is between Ulster and the player.
That is correct but if Charles reneges on our contract and signs again with the NZRU then we will be due compensation from them as they will have signed a player who is under contract with us.